Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Will21b.jpg
phone 006.JPG
phone 005.JPG
phone 007.JPG
phone 004.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Ok, got my first restoration project. It's a 1960 Williams 21. Backglass is perfect. Playfield is in great shape. Mechanically sound but needs reworking to get a startup sequence relay unstuck. Someone in the 70's painted the cabinet with the ever popular faux wood grain paint, as you can see. I have started "partial" stripping to try and get enough of the original paint job exposed to create a stencil for a repaint. BUT.....It looks like I will be able to expose about 70% of all the original paint, as shown in the picture of the right side. But man it looks brutal! This game is for personal use, but I still want to do it correctly. Is it better to create a stencil and repaint to have a "like new" restoration, or do I leave the original paint job, even if it is really rough, so as to preserve the history?

phone 004.JPGphone 004.JPG phone 007.JPGphone 007.JPG phone 005.JPGphone 005.JPG phone 006.JPGphone 006.JPG
#2 9 years ago

I'd re-stencil it......its nice to try and save it, but that seems a little too far gone

#3 9 years ago

What you should do is sell me your back glass. Mine is pretty nice overall except the glass.

It's the latest game in my collection and I'm having fun with it. Pretty snappy game and challenging to get a good hand without going over 21.

Will21b.jpgWill21b.jpg

#4 9 years ago

Where does he get these things?

#5 9 years ago

Okay "Pinball Master"...you should not have posted that picture!! Now I have to repaint it. I will never be happy knowing how it could look. Thanks for the...reference....photo.

#6 9 years ago

Tough call on the repaint question. I'm generally not a fan but it may be a marked improvement depending on how good a job you can do. What bothers you less is the question.

#7 9 years ago

I'm all for original paint, but in your case, I'd repaint it.

#8 9 years ago

Definitely repaint it.

#9 9 years ago

Pretty rough. If you are on the fence about it I would say yes re stencil and repaint.

#10 9 years ago

Re-stencil and paint for sure. The original paint is just too far gone.

#11 9 years ago

I'm all for keeping pins as original as possible, but that cabinet is screaming for a repaint.

#12 9 years ago

I am on the side of restencil
but you are going to go nuts trying to make the stencil

#13 9 years ago

Great find! If I could make a suggestion, if you decide to re-stencil (which gets my vote too FWIW in this particular case), make a template out of cardboard or plastic of those "finger" shaped pieces with holes in them so you can trace it as a repetitive pattern onto your stencil material, then you just need to keep it aligned and not go off track. Same for the domino looking pieces. It will keep them consistent in size and keep you sane. Also, a die for cutting the circles into the stencil material will save your sanity too. My father has a set that I borrow from him that he uses for punching leather, but on clays site i remember in the playfield restoration section he had an email link to a guy selling the same type of dies, Vince C. was the guys name.
You are probably going to have to re-stain the rails and backglass frame anyhow, might as well do the whole thing! Keep the pics coming as you progress!

#14 9 years ago

Thanks Senior pinhead. Great suggestions which I will definitely incorporate into my restoration. My wife said I was insane for buying it so anything to keep what little sanity I still have is welcomed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keep-old-cabinet-paint-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.