Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by maestro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I had a last action hero come into the shop this week. The main issue was there was no voltage getting too the 32v coil rail. So I started the troubleshooting process and worked my way back and the l/r relay was saying stuck on the flasher side. Naturally I assumed q29 was to blame so I replaced it with a new one. Still doing the same thing. So I started checking everything else in the circuit. Nothing was failing. I noticed the transistor was shorted in circuit but fine on the bench. I finally discovered a small piece of slag I otherwise wouldn't have looked for bridging the middle and ground leg of the transistor. Cleaned it up and all is fine now. So the lesson here is k.i.s.s.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

#2 6 years ago

Best is to always start with a thorough visual inspection before proceeding to systematic troubleshooting, IMO.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Best is to always start with a thorough visual inspection before proceeding to systematic troubleshooting, IMO.

Normally I do, but this was on the topside of the board between other transistors. It was far from obvious. Anyhow I'm just happy it worked.

#4 6 years ago

I can't tell you how many times I've went out for repair or been doing repairs in an arcade where something wasn't working and the issue was simply a wire broken off a solder joint, disconnected or partially disconnected connectors on boards etc etc. It happens to everyone. The look on the faces when you fix a machine in under 5 minutes that has been boggling the owner for weeks is priceless, in a good way. Yes a good visual inspection is worth its weight. Having experience to know what to look for is worth double.

Good job!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keep-it-simple-stupid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.