• Latest reply 7 years ago by liljay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

66B7691E-0A59-46E6-A8CC-468B8FDCA86F.jpg

#1 9 years ago

hi guys, i got my switch problem fixed in my Comet but now i have a different problem, the fuse that protects the solenoids pops as soon as i turn on the game, i cant find any shorts, all the noids move freely, i tryed unhooking the mpu, and with that unhooked it still pops the fuse as soon as i power up.

pic for reference, pointing at the fuse that blows the on nearest the plug

also the plug nearest to my finger in the picture, if i unplug it and power up it does not blow

any ideas?

66B7691E-0A59-46E6-A8CC-468B8FDCA86F.jpg66B7691E-0A59-46E6-A8CC-468B8FDCA86F.jpg

#2 9 years ago

A solenoid connected to those wires is bad (shorted) or you have a solenoid lug touching something metal that's grounded.

Had a similar situation where when the playfield was up the fuse would hold. When the playfield was down the fuse would blow. Turns out a solenoid lug was touching the metal prop rod in the cabinet. Look for something similar.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

A solenoid connected to those wires is bad (shorted) or you have a solenoid lug touching something metal that's grounded.
Had a similar situation where when the playfield was up the fuse would hold. When the playfield was down the fuse would blow. Turns out a solenoid lug was touching the metal prop rod in the cabinet. Look for something similar.

so i just went back out there and rechecked ALL the solenoids and the flashers. i could find anything grounding out. i tried moving the wires around to see if there was a break in a wire and that was grounding and couldnt find nothing there, power it on, instablow fuse. =(

could the noid its self be shorting internally?

#4 9 years ago

Yes. A solenoid or diode could be shorted. Might take some work, but you could desolder the single wire from each solenoid on that string and see which solenoid causes the fuse to blow when connected. Once disconnected, you could run a resistance reading on the coil and find one that might be shorted.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Yes. A solenoid or diode could be shorted. Might take some work, but you could desolder the single wire from each solenoid on that string and see which solenoid causes the fuse to blow when connected. Once disconnected, you could run a resistance reading on the coil and find one that might be shorted.

it shouldnt matter what side i solder right just as long as it breaks the circuit?

#6 9 years ago

having same issue with my firepower II

#7 9 years ago

so i unsoldered all hot side wires *the thick red wires* from the solenoids and it still popping the fuse =/

2 years later
#8 7 years ago

Picked up a Williams Comet Yesterday And Having The Same Issue Did You Ever Resolve this issue if so what did you find it was

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keep-blowing-solenoid-fuses?hl=liljay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.