Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Dono
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B4EF609B-68F9-4AAB-A5F7-014BA576155D (resized).jpeg
B3DC18AE-A3BC-46FF-BA3A-0D06D2B07FF8 (resized).jpeg
CC20FB4B-EDC1-445A-8676-1E6105785D31 (resized).jpeg
20191115_173633 (resized).jpg
20191115_173623 (resized).jpg
20191115_173611 (resized).jpg
62CAB0E3-E4FF-4CB6-B25B-8F8DC9C96078 (resized).jpeg
FB02CED1-8295-4E2B-A73E-0DF757673270 (resized).jpeg
34C8FAA5-A436-4546-A4F1-D9BB12792E7D (resized).jpeg
9FB71F08-BD96-49B1-A201-B6DFE033E8BC (resized).jpeg
3B5B6638-3495-448C-AF4B-11EB3ADE735F (resized).jpeg
CE783CBC-FE72-4FB4-9621-AEFEB3017157 (resized).jpeg
100_4234 (resized).jpg
100_4232 (resized).jpg
100_4227 (resized).jpg
100_4224 (resized).jpg

#1 15 days ago

Starting up this thread to share thoughts, experiences, tips, history and general info about Keeney pins. Hoping others can chime in, since there's so little info about this company out in cyberspace. Since I'm all in with getting a Poker Face up and running at the moment, I'm now bumping into all sorts of issues and roadblocks that require resolution so this game can play as designed for another 65 years, and to make the road smoother for others taking on the challenges of a Keeney game.

There were a ton of pre-flipper games, but only 5 flipper games that I'm aware of (via info on IPDB)... but no confirmed production numbers are available...

1959-12 Hi Straight
1963-05 Go-Cart
1963-09 Poker Face
1963-12 Colorama
1964-08 Arrowhead

The flipper mechs have some components similar to Gottlieb, but the overall design is poor, and the flipper high and low power handling is managed by an extra low power coil instead of the low and high power windings in one coil; Since the overall design stinks, and the right flipper lever assembly is broken, I'll be removing this and changing the flip mechs to the Gottlieb design. What's interesting is that the Keeney flip coil B-39 matches the frame size and length of GTB-5141, so that's what I'll be using to power the flips.

What's really interesting about this game, like Joe Roth...(JR) mentioned in another related post - the score reels are translucent green with white lettering. With a light behind each reel, the green color coming through creates a unique and cool look.

I'll be posting more pix as the work continues on the playfield and other components.

Anyone have any plastics or keeney parts in general please reach out.

#2 15 days ago

I still have games stached away, but from what I can recall, this 1958 is the only
Keeney machine I have. It's red translucent score reels are close to identicle to the
Bally's of the 50s. After picking it up years back, I restored it last Spring. What makes
it different from most P&Bs is once the ball leaves the ramp, it's all air time which is
most likely why (up to this point anyways), all that have played it gives it the thumbs
up..

IMG_1485 (resized).JPGIMG_1486 (resized).JPG
#3 15 days ago

I hope someone will bring a Keeney machine to Pintastic New England this year....there will be lots of Bonus Points for bringing one!

Question for mopar about League Leader: is that bat button mechanically linked to the bat? It looks rather large for an electrical switch. And does yours have the replay counter? According to the Billboard ad, this game was available in novelty and replay models.
.................David Marston

#4 15 days ago
Quoted from Mopar:

What makes
it different from most P&Bs is once the ball leaves the ramp, it's all air time which is
most likely why (up to this point anyways), all that have played it gives it the thumbs
up..

That's a fabulous looking game... love the deep cabinet and graphics... backglass not too shabby either... you've no doubt got a rare bird right there! Do you have a schematic for the game? I'm asking because I've heard Keeney game schematics are tough to come by; PBR luckily had it and I scored a copy for the Poker Face. Did you have issues with having to replace any coils, and if so, I'd be interested in how you came up with a replacement(s).

Thanks for posting!

#5 15 days ago
Quoted from dmarston:

is that bat button mechanically linked to the bat?

There's two large green buttons. The one on the left energizes the ball lift motor which gets the ball
in motion. The one on the right swings the bat. The right button energizes a coil attached to the bat.
This machine has no Replay. I believe it originated in New York.
I do have the 1941 Scientific Machine Batting Practice that still needs to be gone through. The
bat on that one is mechanical by squeezing a handle..

Quoted from Dono:

Did you have issues with having to replace any coils, and if so, I'd be interested in how you came up with a replacement(s).

I don't have a schematic for the League Leader. This machine at one time had survived a flood. The outside cab. needed
much gluing but was able to save the original art.
Knowing that it survived a flood, I was surprise how decent the mechanics were. Never really checking things out
before storing it, I was always a little concerned about the mechanics especially the ball lift, but surprisingly, all
was not bad. Didn't need to replace any coils. Actually I had to add a coil. For some reason, if hitting a Super Home
Run (which doesn't happen often), the game would not start back up after scoring the addition 4 runs. Although it wasn't
hard to figure, I can't remember exactly where I wired in that extra coil, but it did the trick. After repairing the outside,
I did much work on the inside to get it to look the way it is. I traded a decent Bally small ball bowler for the machine. It
may have been a little gamble, but I think it paid of..

#6 14 days ago
Quoted from dmarston:

I hope someone will bring a Keeney machine to Pintastic New England this year....there will be lots of Bonus Points for bringing one!

If the show was at the same venue, I'd definitely consider it, but being further towards Boston, that's just too much of a trip for me right now (Baltimore area)... I may try to make it though if timing is right.

#7 14 days ago

The PPM has a Keeney Arrowhead, a truly beautiful game,
and a fun player
an early adopter of drop targets.

#8 14 days ago

I’m in. I have a Keeney shuffle alley in storage- when I get home I’ll get the title and see if I have any pics.

#9 14 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

and a fun player

Cant be many of those... it would be great to have some production numbers, but that may be info we'll never know.

I talked to Steve Young at PBR and he said that at one time Keeney was contracting some parts work for Gottlieb, but I didn't get any details other than that. I just started doing some work on the mechs of my Poker Face and I see parts that are extremely close if not spot on to Gottlieb. That being said, their mechs are interestingly differebt, in that for each mech type (flipper, kicker, pops) there is a metal frame with the hardware screwed to the frame, and the frame screwed to the playfield (similar to how flipper mechs were changed to in the mid to late 70s by other manufacturers); a much better design aspect from a longevity standpoint.

#10 14 days ago

I have a Panascope display that was used in Old Plantation and El Rancho (and maybe others?) in the early 1960s. It was mounted in the backbox frame above the backglass. It's a great little piece of tech.
Old-Plantation.gif
Has anyone seen one in a game? I'm curious how it was used.

More info at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-backglass-lighting-effects#post-4909216
Images at:
https://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1708&picno=49258&zoom=1
https://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1708&picno=49259&zoom=1

/Mark

#11 14 days ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I have a Panascope display that was used in Old Plantation and El Rancho (and maybe others?) in the early 1960s. It was mounted in the backbox frame above the backglass. It's a great little piece of tech.
[quoted image]
Has anyone seen one in a game? I'm curious how it was used.
More info at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-backglass-lighting-effects#post-4909216
Images at:
https://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1708&picno=49258&zoom=1
https://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1708&picno=49259&zoom=1
/Mark

I used to have a Keeney Flashback that utilized that display. Basically like an EM slot machine. Play for replays. It was kind of cool. Roy Parker art too.
KeeneyB (resized).jpg

KeeneyA (resized).jpg
#12 14 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

and a fun player

Thank You Ed Krynski for yet another fun game.

#13 14 days ago

join this club as an aspirational member.
My friend has a Thriller and one day I'd like to find a Roll-A-Line, Lite-A-Line, Lucky Joker, etc
or like a 30s game like Mammoth or Repeater

#14 13 days ago
Quoted from Dono:

If the show was at the same venue, I'd definitely consider it, but being further towards Boston, that's just too much of a trip for me right now (Baltimore area)... I may try to make it though if timing is right.

The trip is about 40-45 minutes longer, coming from Baltimore. Depending on where in the Baltimore metro area you are, the whole trip is about 6 hours. Please try some MapQuest (or use your favorite source) calculations and see if it's feasible.
.................David Marston

#15 13 days ago

In the 1950's, Keeney was contracted by American Shuffleboard to build all of the electromechanical scoreboards for their shuffleboard tables. This was at the height of shuffleboard popularity. American was building their own scoreboards at the time, but demand was so high they couldn't keep up. So they contracted with Keeney to build the scoreboards. I think they did that until 1964. Then American Shuffleboard terminated the contract and resumed making their own scoreboards again in their own factory.

#16 13 days ago

Keeney made excellent shuffle alley machines,very heavy 6 players ,re - tractable pins , 4 different games could be played.

100_4223 (resized).jpg100_4224 (resized).jpg100_4227 (resized).jpg100_4232 (resized).jpg100_4234 (resized).jpg
#17 13 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

In the 1950's, Keeney was contracted by American Shuffleboard to build all of the electromechanical scoreboards for their shuffleboard tables.

I never knew. I have two American Shuffle Score Boards. One I believe from the late 40s,
and one from the 60s. Might have just missed the Keeneys. have to take a look..

Quoted from plgg3:

Keeney made excellent shuffle alley machines,very heavy 6 players ,re - tractable pins , 4 different games could be played.

Nice looking Shuffle. Looks to be from 1951/52
Very possibly the first Shuffle having multiple games..

#18 13 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

In the 1950's, Keeney was contracted by American Shuffleboard to build all of the electromechanical scoreboards for their shuffleboard tables....

Great info Ken...and yes, it looks like the same green/white score reels I have in Poker Face. I'll post some pins once I get the playfield done and off the rotisserie.

#19 9 days ago

That shuffle alley is a beauty!

#20 9 days ago

Keeney has an interesting Flipper setup On the Poker Face... uses a flat platform with a metal shaft housing that supports the flipper axle and built in coil stop... and a very odd crank configuration. Same design as Gottlieb with a few minor differences but the crank rides on the opposite side, and rotates on the housing! One of my cranks required a weld, so I used a 60s Gottlieb crank and modified to fit.

The flip configuration uses 2 coils... pressing flipper button enables the hot coil, and the NO EOS switch when closed enables the in series low power , emulating a dual wound coil. What’s wacky is that this game is 1963... why in hell they decided to use this config is beyond me... perhaps they had thousands of single wind coils on hand and decided this way was cheaper.

Photos show flipper config, new fiber links (check out the wear on the metal link)... wow!

3B5B6638-3495-448C-AF4B-11EB3ADE735F (resized).jpeg9FB71F08-BD96-49B1-A201-B6DFE033E8BC (resized).jpegFB02CED1-8295-4E2B-A73E-0DF757673270 (resized).jpeg34C8FAA5-A436-4546-A4F1-D9BB12792E7D (resized).jpegCE783CBC-FE72-4FB4-9621-AEFEB3017157 (resized).jpeg
#21 9 days ago

another poor quality Keeney part ... check out the broke metal pop bumper yoke... thinner and no reinforcement lip in back... no wonder it’s broken!!!

62CAB0E3-E4FF-4CB6-B25B-8F8DC9C96078 (resized).jpeg
#22 9 days ago
Quoted from Dono:

another poor quality Keeney part ... check out the broke metal pop bumper yoke... thinner and no reinforcement lip in back... no wonder it’s broken!!![quoted image]

Pic shows Gottlieb counterpart from a Mibs parts machine.

#23 7 days ago

don't burn me cause it doesn't have flippers

1940 keeney's bonus super bell 1940

running, needs a few adjustments. very hard to find here in australia.

been my first keeney after collecting for 40 years.

20191115_173611 (resized).jpg20191115_173623 (resized).jpg20191115_173633 (resized).jpg
#24 7 days ago

cool machine, but what IS the super bell payout? It doesn't actually tell you.

I assume you're supposed to cash out all your credits with the staff if you got the 500 bonus credits? Or is it so darn clever that if you had 500 credits and spent 2 more on a spin it would display the 100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, and 8 credit lights? (498 total)

#25 7 days ago

Nice looking game... any Keeney game - flipperless/non-flipperless/novelty/bingo/arcade, etc. all welcome!!!

#26 6 days ago
Quoted from Dono:

another poor quality Keeney part ... check out the broke metal pop bumper yoke... thinner and no reinforcement lip in back... no wonder it’s broken!!!

After some experimenting and 'surgery', I ended up using a a Gottlieb bracket, Gottlieb A-1496 coil, Williams metal yoke, and the remaining Keeney parts to complete the assembly.

Again, not a big fan of Keeney pinball parts quality right now... I'll report back later as I continue to knock out additional mechanical component work.

#27 3 days ago

A few pix of the Poker Face playfield - slowly things are coming together - advance bumps, the single pop and new left side target faces... these from PBR are nice replacements. I don’t like the new clip that comes with the target faces though. The old clips, if you can get them off without breaking the tabs, work fine.

B3DC18AE-A3BC-46FF-BA3A-0D06D2B07FF8 (resized).jpegB4EF609B-68F9-4AAB-A5F7-014BA576155D (resized).jpegCC20FB4B-EDC1-445A-8676-1E6105785D31 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 24.50
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside