(Topic ID: 20537)

KC Area Pinball Association Tourney on Saturday July 21st

By stangbat

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1023_(Custom).JPG
    #1 11 years ago

I've mentioned this elsewhere but I figured I'd start a thread devoted to it. There will be a KCAPA tournament at Pizza West this coming Saturday the 21st. It will start at 5:00 and run until we're done. No advance sign up is necessary, just show up. IFPA points will be awarded.

The official KCAPA mass email has not been sent yet. If you want your name added to the mailing list, PM me and I'll get it added.

There is of course pizza and beer available. If we have a good turnout and want to have a buffet, we can do that. Or we can order individual pizzas.

The pin lineup consists of Iron Man, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons Pinball Party, Star Wars Episode I, Tri Zone, and Whirlwind. I'm not sure if all games will be used for tournament play, we'll see what the turnout is like and how many games will be needed.

You can find some more info at the following locations:

http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/pizza-west-3186-shawnee-ks-united-states

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kansas-City-Area-Pinball-Association/89445321816

https://www.facebook.com/pages/KC-Pins/426188154082442

http://kcpins.com/pizza-west

#2 11 years ago

Sounds like a great time. Excellent line up!

All I need to do is get some last-minute wife approval to make the trip!

Results, videos, and pictures from our tourney in Springfield last weekend: www.ozarkpinballsyndicate.com

#3 11 years ago

Well I didn't make it out there before the tournament but I plan on playing in this tournament. It will be my first pinball tournament ever! I might even bring a couple other players. I hope to see you and silverballer there.

#4 11 years ago

A reporter from the local paper (Shawnee Dispatch) will be there to talk to people. Hopefully we'll see an article about the tournament in next week's paper.

#5 11 years ago

Had a great time at the tournament, it was good to see Stangbat and Silverballer again. It was also great to finally meet pinsider SealClubber.

#6 11 years ago

Yep, was a great turnout and time. Met sealclubber as well, and if there were other pinsiders there I was the tall guy wearing the red Nebraska shirt. Got beat on IM, pretty embarrassing since I own the game but the guy I was playing had a great game.

#7 11 years ago

Good times indeed. I enjoyed seeing other pinsiders and meeting a few for the first time. Taylor-I think we played TSPP against each other. I would to thank stangbat for ALL the extra work you put into the evening to make it successful.

#8 11 years ago

Thanks guys. It was good to see everyone and I met a few other Pinsiders.

To recap, we had 28 players in the tournament. Don B. took first place, Jason S. was second, Derek F. took third. Congrats guys!

For everyone that wasn't there, we had a rocky start. The games have been in Pizza West since June 4th with heavy use at times and there were never any issues. Yesterday, right as we were beginning the tournament, everything went down. With the help of Pizza West's owners and other attendees, we got everything back up and we got the tournament running. I had to do some repairs to three games to get them back in service and thankfully they are okay. At one point I thought I may have three toasted games that would need extensive work. And to be honest, at one brief point I though I may have six toasted games that would need extensive work.

As best that we can tell, it was a strange combination of things that happened involving the building's wiring and some surges or brownouts from the utility company. A business next door to Pizza West was having power issues all day. Throw it all together and you have a recipe for disaster. If anyone wants more details I can provide them.

After closing the electrician repaired the wiring and we had employees play all the games at once and we had everything plugged in, which included the claw machine and the "Pizza" sign. The most current pulled with everything going was 11 amps. The room has two 20 amp circuits, so electrical capacity for the room was not an issue and I don't expect anything like this to happen again. When I left Pizza West last night everything was back as it should be and the games will be back in service this morning.

Thanks again to everyone that showed up and thanks to all that helped to make this a success. Hope to see everyone at the next tourney on August 18th!

#9 11 years ago

Unfortunately with how things started, I didn't get any photos of the event. If anyone has any photos they want to share, please do.

Below is a photo showing what happens when you get 200+ volts sent to your games. Everyone knows this, but make sure your game's main fuse is the correct value and type. The MOVs did their job on the three games that received the 200+ volts. They shunted the current away from the game and the main fuse blew, saving all the electronics and allowing me to get the games back in service.

My bill changer came from the factory without a MOV. I installed one before I put it in service and I'm very happy I did so. If I hadn't, it may have fried last night. But it is also back up and running fine after replacing the MOV and installing a new fuse.

DSCN1023_(Custom).JPGDSCN1023_(Custom).JPG

#10 11 years ago

Thanks for running the tourney Stangbat and the others from the KC pin club. I would have freaked if I saw smoke coming out of 3 of my machines. Found it amazing you figured out the problem with the electrical box and got all the pins working so quickly. I will have to ensure I have enough extra MOVs in my toolbox for all of my pins and not just one.

Got to meet several Pinsiders and some other local player/collectors. Taylor34, Vster, Silverballer (beat me on SWEP1), Stangbat, Todd from Bigdaddy-electronics, Mike O, and others I can't remember the names.

It was cool watching the really good players like Don B. and Jason S. I learned that I really need to improve my slap technique, among other things. It was also depressing knowing how far apart our skill levels are. I would rank my skill level as better than the average non-player.

Was a good time, and the pizza was good too, with excellent service.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I was the tall guy wearing the red Nebraska shirt

I will be sure to introduce myself next time. I was the guy in the Oingo Boingo shirt.

Great job Stangbat on getting the pins running and keeping them running in such a timely manner. When I smelled smoke I thought it was curtains for the pins.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from vster23:

I will be sure to introduce myself next time. I was the guy in the Oingo Boingo shirt.
    Great job Stangbat on getting the pins running and keeping them running in such a timely manner. When I smelled smoke I thought it was curtains for the pins.

You'll be able to spot me next time easy then, as I almost always wear a husker shirt to the pinball tourney's. Make it easy for people to remember and associate me with stuff.

#13 11 years ago

Certainly will try to make the next event, had a previous engagement this past Saturday. I would only consider myself an ok player, but am more interested in meeting fellow pinheads.

#14 11 years ago

We got a write up in the local paper about the tournament (and the games in general).

http://www.shawneedispatch.com/news/2012/jul/25/pizza-west-goes-full-tilt-pinball/

#15 11 years ago

I'm famous. lol. That's me in the back left in the blue shirt about to lose my match on TSPP.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kc-area-pinball-association-tourney-on-saturday-july-21st and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.