(Topic ID: 205324)

KBS Diamond Clearcoat

By Axl

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5706 (resized).jpg
    372FCAB0-26BD-4D99-BE61-CFB2CD98BC16 (resized).jpeg
    03598896-B26C-4002-9705-635B296879D2 (resized).jpeg
    D8D61666-E9A1-40D1-8A92-F7BE9D2C814A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maffewl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

Bump, I'm also interested in hearing more about this stuff.

1 week later
    #7 6 years ago

I bought a quart. Will give it a test run when it warms up a bit.

Are most using it straight from the can, or should it be thinned?

#9 6 years ago

Thanks oldskool. I had planned to use a roller. What is the working time you've experienced? And regarding sealing, I had planned to use something similar to below. They are 8oz each, so I should be able to separate the quart into 4 of these bottles. Good idea or no?

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Grade-Plastic-Juice-Bottles/dp/B075RRVNF9/ref=sr_1_17

#11 6 years ago

Interesting. I've heard foam roller was the way to go. Did the bubbles level out, or was it something that needed sanding?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Getaway:

I've used it twice, I brush it on and thin it down, in my experience straight from the can without thinning you can get brush drag marks and it is more prone to gas bubbles. It is holding up well. I've also done the sides of cabinets with it, looks great

What did you use as thinner? The specific product from KBS or...?

2 weeks later
    #20 6 years ago
    Quoted from pincity:

Have you had a chance to try this on a playfield?
    I’ve not used this product, or any clear coat for that matter. But, back when I first heard of the KBS, I do remember seeing this thread where one poster mentions thinning using KBS #1 thinner to 30%.
    https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/49407-Shadow-playfield-restoration-using-DarkSoul-s-KBS-diamond-clear-method?p=623393#post623393

I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet. It’s been too cold here, and I’ve been busy. It’ll probably be a couple months before I’m able to do any testing.

Also, I did purchase the KBS thinner as well. So, once I’m able to test, I’ll see what dilution works best. I’d be interested to hear from others that have used it before I go testing if anyone has any experiences they want to share.

1 month later
    #26 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback jwilson. I'm hoping to get to try some of this out this summer. I have the can and thinner ready to go, but just don't have the time at the moment. I'll post my feedback. If any others have photos, suggestions, technique, etc - I'd be interested in knowing more as well before I start.

#28 6 years ago

Would a foam brush work best, or would it leave streaks? Also, can you clarify "glide" vs "push".

4 months later
    #33 5 years ago

Update. I've now tried rolling, brushing, wiping... you name it... bubbles. I've thinned it to 30%, 50%, and even further. I do not see how this stuff can ever be used for its intended purpose. Bubbles, bubbles everywhere.

If anyone has had success and/or may have means or methods that I haven't tried, please send them as I have plenty of the stuff left to test. However, I've pretty much given up on using this as a clearcoat for a playfield.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Joey_N:

My wife is an Auburn fan..
    O'Reillys sells fairly inexpensive 2 part clear. Use that, a decent sized compressor, and a Harbor Freight under $20 automotive spray gun.

Tell her "War Eagle!"

As for the clear, I don't have (nor really know) the proper safety equipment for spraying 2PAC. From my understanding, it's super dangerous stuff. KBS seemed to be a great substitute, but I can't make it work.

10 months later
    #40 4 years ago

Just wanted to follow-up to some of my original posts. I've tried just about every type of application for the liquid version of this as I wanted to avoid the health precautions of spraying it. I've brushed, rolled, poured, cut, diluted, etc. No matter what I did... oh, the bubbles. Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles everywhere. I don't see how there is a viable way to use the liquid version for playfields. My .02.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

You are doing it too thick, too long in between coats or in high humidity.

I still have quite a bit of this and would love to be wrong. I've tried thin, thick, and everything in between. If you have a method that works, I beg you to post a video showing how it's done. I can't see how this can possibly be used for playfields from my testing.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

What is your relative humidity?

Dog's breath.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maffewl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kbs-diamond-clearcoat?tu=maffewl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.