ST_GCscore.jpg
wishful_thinking180.jpg
image-554.jpg
image-518.jpg
b574f2eb725709460d7ec79a084ab189.jpg
batman-stern.jpg
image-644.jpg
patience.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 10 years ago

I believe Steve said they recorded an hour and half of material. Obviously, they won't use anywhere near that, but it's good to have lots of different takes and material to sort through to find what works best.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from bw1138:

Had a very brief chat with Karl Urban this past weekend where he also confirmed he'd done his recording for the game. As others have mentioned above, he does seem to be a "pinball guy" He told me that he currently has three games, STTNG, MM, and TAF (sweet lineup!). Apparently, Stern is sending him a Star Trek (he didn't mention which version) and he'll have to move one game out.
Blair

Now we know why there was the odd number of 799 LE's for Star Trek. Karl gets #800, a unique LE just for him.

2 months later
#64 9 years ago

Anybody who says that Stern isn't making Star Trek pins anymore or doesn't plan on making any more code updates has no idea what he's talking about.

A massive update is coming, with many rule changes and Urban's callouts. I dare say it will be the single largest update Stern has ever issued on the S.A.M. system.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I never said they won't ever sell more, I just believe they're stuck in limbo to try and sell them at this moment. I've been through this with xmen and TF, and their updates were not very massive after months and months of waiting. (Year for TF). For what it's worth, they got Xmen finally right (well 90% right) but took them well over a year but you could tell they weren't in no rush to do it granted they sold out the les months before release.

Ever game is different. You can't say that because X-Men and TF never had a late massive update, that Star Trek won't. The fact that X-Men even got an update at all ofter being discontinued is encouraging. And Lyman's massive polish of Tron's code was late in the game. Stern is changing.

2 important things to consider

#1. Neither of those the two games you mentioned, or any other Stern to my knowledge, has had an actor's call-outs added AFTER the game was released. This is a big deal. It's not just a few lines added in. I spoke with Steve Ritchie at the Texas Pinball Festival, and he said that Karl recorded one and a half hours of material for the game! That's a huge pool to pull from! This will not be a little nip/tuck of the existing code.

#2. Steve Ritchie has has mentioned many times that they are working on a rules code update. There is an entire thread on Pinside devoted to what needs to be changed, and Steve has sent encouraging responses to that discussion, and complemented the thread for focusing on what can be improved and not going downhill like so many threads do around here. So Steve is actively listening to the owners.

The fact that this code hasn't come out quickly is encouraging to me. It means they are taking their time on it. It is a big ordeal to add a ton of Urban's voice work and improve the modes. We are all going to be grateful for their time.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I wouldn't use the word grateful.
When paying over $7000 for a toy, I expect it to be all it can be. And radio silence is just frustration. I lost patience and sold my STLE. That team away shot just killed it for me.
Anyway, it's quite simple now, I will only buy totally finished games - chances are they will be cheaper by that time as well.

Let me re-phrase that.

Those of us that actually own the game and have had patience are going to be grateful.

People that sold it prematurely.....not so much. They may be kicking themselves later.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And then radio f-ing silence for months. Sorry, not good enough. The good will from that is gone for me. Asking for even the smallest update isn't unreasonable. But Stern has their heads up their asses on this issue, they always have, and it's obvious that any little hints that they were changing on it were false. Was a time it didn't matter, because they shipped finished games. That's no longer the case.
I love Stern games, I love the designers and coders and people working there, and I want them to grow and be successful. I also feel like telling everyone I know "don't buy their games when they come out". How screwed up is that? Something isn't right when you get those two contradictions together.

b574f2eb725709460d7ec79a084ab189.jpgb574f2eb725709460d7ec79a084ab189.jpg
#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's hoping. The fact that the code hasn't come out and that Stern hasn't said boo could also mean they pulled the entire team off Star Trek to work on Mustang and it's just been sitting there languishing. We don't know. Because they refuse to tell us anything.
When your communication is worse than Jersey Jack's then you're not in a good place.

Different combination of teams work on different pins. It's not like the entire Star Trek team got pulled to just work on Mustang.

And with the Iron Man VE and MMR, Stern may not even have a summer title....meaning the code guys will have extra time on their hands to polish Star Trek!

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the thing: if I'm waiting to buy a game then why bother with NIB? My Star Trek Premium was a NIB purchase, drop shipped straight from Chicago, but if I was waiting I'd just grab a HUO one. Why pay the NIB price and the sales tax if there are used ones out there? That's a lost sale for Stern once it goes to the used market. With sales tax I spent over $7000 on that game. That's real money.

Why in God's name are you paying sales tax? Buy it from a dealer out of state!

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Stern doesn't have a summer title this year. The next game is set for the fall (anyones guess if thats sept or october, but I would bet its before expo so they can show it off at expo).

They were on schedule for one, base on the early release of Mustang. See 2012 for a similar roll-out.

Now, I'm thinking they wont because of all the remakes,

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Actually that's exactly what I heard happened.
So since you're all sunshine and roses about this please, illuminate us, what are your sources and what have you heard? You know something we don't? Because my beef right now isn't even that it's not done (that's frustrating sure) but that it's a black hole when it comes to even the smallest sliver of information. If Eskaybee hadn't shared his private email from Steve we'd know jack shit right now about code even happening at all.
That's crap, and I'm not going to apologize for Stern over it.

You dodge your state taxes as you see fit, and I'll buy my way (don't be surprised if you get a use tax notice one day though). Not feeling all that big on buying any more NIB Sterns now anyways.

It's not private information who the coders are for each game. Stern even has them interviewd in their promo videos. And they get mixed up from time to time.

And if you ascertain is that the ENTIRE Star Trek team of coders is working on Mustang, then what F*ck tell is Lyman doing? Star Trek seems to be selling better than Mustang. Better to get it finished and sell more than waste time on Mustang code.

Be sure to send Governor Moonbeam every penny!

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I've stopped playing ST for the most part too.
Now that I have X-Men, I play that a lot more...that and spiderman. They seem like complete games and are more fun, can't say that about ST, so it mostly sits.
The "away team" and "mission start" shots, for me, take away most of the fun of playing the game...and the voice calls that are repetitive and long just makes it worse.
In another post, Waiting room: Stern ST code update, this was said:

Don't see it happening in 2 days now.
Anyway, I know an update is coming and am patiently waiting, in the meantime a lot of $ sits under-utilized.
Robert

How would these two days before a release be any different than the actual 2 days before it's release?

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Isn't Lyman working on Borgs next game for the fall? That's what Lymans doing....

Maybe, but it's not like they need Lyman for one pin, and 4 guys on Mustang.

#101 9 years ago

All right, I take that back....looks like it's the same team for both Star Trek and Mustang. Still, I have to think they can walk and chew gum at the same time.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I appreciate that you're enthusiastic about this, I'm not trying to be a downer or attack you or anything. But I think you're being more optimistic than is warranted. Star Trek sat while they worked on Mustang. No amazing ambulatory mastication dexterity was demonstrated.

To get it out the door, sure. But Mustang is stable enough now to go back to Star Trek.

Mustang has no treasure chest like Urban's speech laying around collecting dust.

#109 9 years ago

"Starship log, stardate 8130.4. Log entry by First Officer Pavel Chekov. Starship Reliant on orbital approach to Ceti Alpha VI in connection with Project Stern. We are continuing our search for a finished code that will satisfy the requirements of Pinsiders. This is the sixteenth planet we have visited. So far, no success."

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Stern doesn't even give us that. Eskaybee shared a private email from Ritchie, that's the only reason we know anything at all. And to be clear I was talking about JJP's code communication, which unlike their game building promises has been very reliable and easy.
I don't buy this "only a handful of people care about code" thing. Because it's not a coincidence that AC/DC became their best selling game. Lyman's code took it to another level, and people wanted in on that, talked about it, hyped it up, and kept it moving off the line.

Steve Ritchie has talked about the next update at various shows. It's not just Eskaybee's email. He told us in attendance personally at the Texas Pinball Festival that a major update was in the works for rules as well as Urban's speech.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, more power to Steve Ritchie, the man is bad ass and I love him for it. And I don't check Stern's Facebook page every day pathetically hoping for some kind of update, I was just tossing out an example that took little effort. Don't need a daily update liveblog and a code team web cam. Just treat us like we're part of why you sell games, not some afterthoughts because we're not ops.
I just love pinball. Highlight of my weekend was playing one-handed games of Shadow at a barcade with a member of the Crazy Flipper Fingers. There was a Star Trek Pro there and I'm sure the people playing it couldn't give two shits about any of this. You can't hear Karl Urban at a barcade anyways, games might as well have no sound it was so loud.
I'm gonna play Metallica on my lunch break, and have a good effing time, and won't waste time thinking about the Star Trek in the room I probably won't flip on. But Stern reads these threads, and I'm in the mood to say hey, I'm not happy. They can give a shit or not, all I can do.

I do envy that you can play pinball on your lunch break. Have fun!

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Whys that? Will they magically no longer be available after the update hits??

This isn't like going back to GameStop for a PS4 game that you sold off......

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yeah cause NIB games will no longer be available. Cause you can't get NIB ACDC or Metallica now days, both came out before ST.

You really aren't getting it. Shipping a 250 lb. pinball machine back to your house, and spending thousands of dollars and possibly loosing some cash from your sale only to get it back is nothing like changing your mind about a Game Console disc.

THAT was the point I was making.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Game sucks right now. Better to get out and maybe buy back later then to stick it out and possibly lose even more.

Game is awesome right now. Nothing else like it on the market.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

It's nice to be in the minority where I enjoy my LE as is right now. I feel I'm practicing for all the shots, and enjoying level 2 and 3 animations. Sure, when the rules and call outs are done it'll be better, but still an attractive, fun game so far.

Don't worry, the mood will change again. First it was hip to rip on Star Trek, then it was hip to love it, now it's hip to rip on it again. Pinsiders are like a female hipster. Moody and trendy.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I feel much better after venting in this thread yesterday, went ahead and got the next part of my Star Trek translite done that I had been putting off. Couldn't really proceed with out it, so now I'm in tinker mode again.
Now I can race the code release!

I'm very curious about this. I hope it integrates well with the Premium cabinet art, which is my favorite of the 3 designs. It's conveys action and danger in a simple shot from the movie.

#172 9 years ago

Stern's programmers have some extra time this summer with MMr and Iron Man being made that require no coding on Stern's part.

I'm guessing the code drops in August.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I've been very happy with my STLE but reading this thread has me anxious.
I want Bones to give me directions!

Fixed it for ya!

#204 9 years ago

Got the chance to play both for the first time at TPF. Sorry, but Star Trek trumps Met.

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

It appears like you may be bias though.

LOL!

I wouldn't buy a shit game from a theme I loved anymore than I'd buy a great game from a theme I hated. They have to come together!

#217 9 years ago

How is it too late? I haven't bought anything yet!

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What I want is for Stern to put a little priority behind making this game that they sold to people for $7800 better. There hasn't been a single rules update (just a couple minor bug fixes) since the LEs shipped. Almost eight thousand dollars to your prime home collector audience Stern. You're not making it a priority, and that sucks ass. I don't blame Steve Ritchie, but I do blame the company. I dunno who that means really, I'm guessing Gomez though.
You want to devote time to the boat anchor that's Mustang fine, do it after you support Star Trek.

There hasn't been as big of an update for the LE/Premiums because they shipped with a lot of features that the Pro didn't have when it shipped. When 1.4 rolled around, it wasn't as big of a deal for LE/Premium's, but the Pro owners got tons of new stuff. Compare the read me files for 1.4 between the two.

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't need to compare the read me files, I've played ever single code version, including the original one so old even the Expo machines in the Stern booth didn't have it.
That's why I phrased it like I did. No updates since the $7800 dollar versions were sold. That's not ops who don't really give a shit, that's your home collector base. And they're getting restless.
Just seems worth reminding them of that. Don't think they don't all read this, because they do.

You lost me there. 1.4 came out well after the LE's shipped.

5 months later
#248 9 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Does anyone else think the Karl Urban speech is way over used? My impression is the doctor is talking constantly throughout the game now. Hearing the captain seems rare by comparison. Since when did the Doctor become more important than the Captain, Spock, the Admiral, etc? The Karl Urban speech for Vengeance modes actually ruined those modes for me and I try to avoid them now. Again the Doctor does all the talking repeating phrases like "Kahn you blood sucking murderer" and "you are a genetically enhanced murderer", etc. As if these phrases aren't bad enough they actually repeat often back to back. I don't remember bones having much to do with Kahn in the movie. Why not use the real speech quotes from the movie more and balance the game?

Technically, you the player are Captain Kirk. You shouldn't be hearing yourself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/karl-urban-speech-recorded-last-week?tu=captain_kirk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.