Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinsanity
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Need a new pet and thinking this might be fun -”

• kanagaroo 5 votes
      19%
    • marsupial 3 votes
      12%
    • wallaby 7 votes
      27%
    • neither 11 votes
      42%

(26 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

capture[4928] (resized).jpg
    wombat1.gif
    DSC00923 (resized).JPG
    DSC00895 (resized).JPG
    DSC00905 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    43B21FE3-12BA-4849-AA54-3EE775DDEEFD-388-00000056203F2414_tmp (resized).png
    roo9 (resized).jpg
    roo8 (resized).jpg
    roo7 (resized).jpg
    roo6 (resized).jpg
    roo3 (resized).jpg
    roo2 (resized).jpg
    roo1 (resized).jpg
    capybara (resized).jpg
    IMG_0720 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Was considering getting a new pet and thought it might be cool to have a roo (kanagroo). Similar but related options include marsupial or wallaby. Anybody ever have a roo as a pet, mostly looking towards my AUS or NZ buddies. I have heard they can be kind of wild and a little dangerous. I'll tack on a poll.

kangaroowallaby (resized).jpgkangaroowallaby (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

As long as you're good with your boxing skills, you should be ok.

rd

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

As long as you're good with your boxing skills, you should be ok.
    rd
    » YouTube video

That kangaroo took a good smack and stayed up. Was it planning to wrestle that dog or use it as a shield in case of gunfire? So far I have eliminated a few pets as being impractical - penguin, cobra, skunk, bear (brown, white or black), osterich, moose and camel. Not ruling out the kangaroos yet, maybe that one was just a bad egg or something.

#4 7 years ago

Can I visit?

#5 7 years ago

From what I understand, they are somewhat aggressive and wouldn't make a good house pet.

Try a large rabbit instead. Some breeds can be fairly giant sized.

#7 7 years ago

to help a little...

marsupials are animals with a pouch - kanagaroos, wallaby's, koala's etc

Kangaroos can grow big especially males. They box to compete for the females, and the males defense is to hug their threat and then lean back on they tail and disembowel them with the huge toe on their hind legs. If you got one recommend a female.

Wallaby's are timid and skittish even domesticated ones at a park and they like the shade.

#8 7 years ago

Kangaroos and Wallabies are both marsupials. Wombats are more friendly and can adapt to routines such as feeding and following you around the back yard. They're not cuddly. Their fur is like steel wool and I don't think they have any of the companion characteristics of a dog or cat. I think it would be like having a pet goat or pig. Wallabies are cuter and more manageable than a Roo. You would need a good height fence to keep it in. Most of the YouTube videos on escaped kangaroos seem to be from the US. Weird. I guess over here they're not "escaped" - they're just doing their thing.

#9 7 years ago

Get one of these fellas....... We all have them down here. Great with kids!!

Tasmanian-Devil-7 (resized).jpegTasmanian-Devil-7 (resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from lukex:

Get one of these fellas....... We all have them down here. Great with kids!!

What the heck is that?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

What the heck is that?

Tasmanian Devil, should hear the sound they make

#12 7 years ago

Tasmanian Devil. Made popular in those old Bugs Bunny cartoons...

Tasmanian-Devil-Cartoon-Wallpapers (resized).jpegTasmanian-Devil-Cartoon-Wallpapers (resized).jpeg

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from lukex:

Tasmanian Devil. Made popular in those old Bugs Bunny cartoons...

Ha! Yes, great pet advice from you guys down under!!!

#14 7 years ago

and if you got a roo probably need at least a 8 ft fence, when they get going each jump is about 6metres = 18/20ft long and 6-8ft in height jumps

#15 7 years ago

there is a place about 30 minutes away that is one of the hospitals I work at, which is named Kanangra due to the massive amount of wild kanagaroos that live there. Tourists go there from Sydeny as one of the quickest places to see reall wild kangaroos that are friendly enough to feed (females) males get a bit twitchy and puff up some times similar to that video.

my daughter patting a wild roo (with a joey in the pouch) only a few weeks ago.
    P1140222 (resized).JPGP1140222 (resized).JPG
    P1140223 (resized).jpgP1140223 (resized).jpg

then feeding a wallaby at a local free entry natural park
    P1130650 (resized).JPGP1130650 (resized).JPG
    P1130653 (resized).jpgP1130653 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

then feeding a wallaby at a local free entry natural park

That wallaby looks much more friendly!

*by the way, in trying to quote you I accidentally marked your picture above what I quoted as a not safe image. I think I fixed it. Sorry about that, Pinsiding on the phone can be tough.*

#17 7 years ago

What about a friendly Aussie Drop Bear?

Related to the Koala, but a little more 'aggressive'.

From Wikipedia (so you know it's true....):

'While koalas are typically docile herbivores (and notably, not bears), drop bears are described as unusually large and vicious marsupials that inhabit treetops and attack unsuspecting people (or other prey) that walk beneath them by dropping onto their heads from above.'

IMG_0651 (resized).JPGIMG_0651 (resized).JPG

#18 7 years ago

lol, use to have a great laugh at some mates expense when we would do surfing / camping trips in our late teams and 2 guys to freak out always looking out for drop bears.

then there are bunyip's, aussie's equivalent to the creature from the black lagoon.

#19 7 years ago

yes wallaby's are nicer in nature and looks and smaller with maybe a max 3-4ft jump on them

#20 7 years ago

wombats are cool, remember once going to Steve Irwins zoo and they had one on a lead and could pat it, was called Tonka (very appropriate name - tonka digger toys), would be a unique pet but is nocturnal and likes to dig.... tunnels lol

#21 7 years ago

This is where Lucas got the idea for Taun Tauns. Our early explorers sure knew how to ride.

IMG_0720 (resized).JPGIMG_0720 (resized).JPG

And this short film about zombie Kangaroos. https://vimeo.com/octopodfilms/waterborne

#22 7 years ago

You don't need a marsupial. Just more pinball machines!

#23 7 years ago

I picked up a pool table from a house that had a pet kangaroo in a cage,It was creepy,looked like it would happily rip my head off!

#24 7 years ago

This big fella lived near my old house, North of Brisbane. You keep right away from big ones like this.

It was common to be walking the dog and big Roos like this would be standing right in the middle of the side walk ahead of me. Quite a sight.

#25 7 years ago

I think you should get a capybara. Not a marsupial but just as cute. And they're pretty chill.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

then there are bunyip's

The Koori term for which is often called Dooligars. More closely linked to Yeti's i believe

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Onevox:

I think you should get a capybara. Not a marsupial but just as cute. And they're pretty chill.

Monica caried her capybara around in a purse. Of course, that was prior to the last growth spurt.

capybara (resized).jpgcapybara (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Monica caried her capybara around in a purse. Of course, that was prior to the last growth spurt.

You remember the cartoon cat/dog? Well that's rat/squirrel.

#29 7 years ago

I believe one of each would round off a good marsupial collection. Do they ride well in vehicles??

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I believe one of each would round off a good marsupial collection. Do they ride well in vehicles??

From what I can tell, the stick seems to be the preferred mode of transport.

roo1 (resized).jpgroo1 (resized).jpg
    roo2 (resized).jpgroo2 (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago

You could get a domestic marsupial, the opossum. I've never seen one as a pet but I'm sure they're like coons. If you get them really young, I bet they can be tamed. I've seen a few pet coons around here and they can be pretty funny.

#32 7 years ago

Roos + cars = lethal

roo3 (resized).jpgroo3 (resized).jpg
    roo8 (resized).jpgroo8 (resized).jpg
    roo9 (resized).jpgroo9 (resized).jpg
    roo6 (resized).jpgroo6 (resized).jpg
    roo7 (resized).jpgroo7 (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago

Ride in cars? Capybaras love cars.

43B21FE3-12BA-4849-AA54-3EE775DDEEFD-388-00000056203F2414_tmp (resized).png43B21FE3-12BA-4849-AA54-3EE775DDEEFD-388-00000056203F2414_tmp (resized).png

#34 7 years ago

If you're dead-set on getting a marsupial, I'd go with a Wobat. I don't know of any other animal that takes square dumps.

#35 7 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#36 7 years ago

found the photos of "Tonka"

DSC00905 (resized).JPGDSC00905 (resized).JPGDSC00895 (resized).JPGDSC00895 (resized).JPG

they like to burrow
    DSC00923 (resized).JPGDSC00923 (resized).JPG

#37 7 years ago

How do Wombats prefer to travel?

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How do Wombats prefer to travel?

why, by turtle of course silly
    wombat1.gifwombat1.gif

#39 7 years ago

Sounds like a wombat for the win, or a wallaby for the helluvit, but no roo for you.

#40 7 years ago

No, you can't do this. It is a nine hundred dollarydoo fine for anyone that tries to ride in a kangaroo pouch.
    capture[4928] (resized).jpgcapture[4928] (resized).jpg

Forget the marsupials and just get an Aussie lapdog instead. Plenty of them down here that need to be exported permanently.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kangaroo-marsupial-or-wallaby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.