Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Excited?”

• HELL YES! 94 votes
      43%
    • Meh… 125 votes
      57%

(219 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D38AA47D-6F13-470F-9C0A-7D961806D11A.jpeg
    t5r8f7w66he61 (resized).jpg
    285624C3-6D34-4E04-BA6C-122A52231799.gif
    IMG_20220226_001143 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220225_234507 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-065207_Gallery (resized).jpg
    multipliers (resized).png
    231343367_221595649971305_6522318597084851150_n (resized).jpg
    Franchi_JAWS_Translite (resized).png
    Jaws_Stern_Eating_Kman (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    IMG_20220221_001747 (resized).jpg
    20220130_182439 (resized).jpg
    Ape-Meets-Girl-Jaws-Amity-Island-Island-Closed (resized).jpg
    venom-high-res-pic (resized).jpg
    jaws-19-1280jpg-9966cb_1280w.jpg

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 2 years ago

I contemplated a company doing Jaws before going down my massive and expensive retheme route..

I went forward based on ...proven fun flow, unlimited sound and actor samples, and full custom dmd animations.....as well as no waiting and the obvious customising

Zero regret!

20220130_182439 (resized).jpg20220130_182439 (resized).jpg
    #52 2 years ago

#53 2 years ago

Jaws saying eat me keneda

#54 2 years ago

Dream theme for me. But here’s the thing: I don’t want it to hew to the movie. Awesome movie but not a great pinball story. Instead, give me a shark they pops up and eats balls/ throws them around, a boat, docks, pop bumpers shaped like bouys, etc, and the theme and I would be jacked. Or go the other way and you are the shark destroying things. Either way is a winner.

And for those saying Jaws is old consider how many shark movies are out there and that are coming out every year. Sharks are a primal theme. The name Jaws is synonymous with it. You would be foolish to release a “shark attack” pinball instead of naming it Jaws.

#55 2 years ago

Hi Chris. Are you enjoying reading all the comments here? Are you all atwitter at being mentioned on Pinside? I can picture you right now saying “I did that”. But alas, you can’t respond. Why is that? Oh yeah, I remember how much you deserved your expulsion.

#56 2 years ago

Where and when did Kaneda say this? I checked Patreon and don’t see anything new my feed.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from KJS:

I contemplated a company doing Jaws before going down my massive and expensive retheme route..
    I went forward based on ...proven fun flow, unlimited sound and actor samples, and full custom dmd animations.....as well as no waiting and the obvious customising
    Zero regret![quoted image]

That looks cool! Did you do a build thread? Would love to read about the build!

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Where and when did Kaneda say this? I checked Patreon and don’t see anything new my feed.

Haha you pay for this and still get ripped off .
    It's so funny hearing him begging for $5 , then he brags about how much money he has .
    What a classy guy

IMG_20220221_001747 (resized).jpgIMG_20220221_001747 (resized).jpg
    #59 2 years ago

The teaser trailer for the game is out...

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

i would hope not. it's a very old movie and outdated. they need to drop all these old man themes. we've seen enough of them.

I value everyone’s opinions and with that said and all due respect, yours in this post is bullshit.

Old man bullshit has to stop. Wtf. It’s this generations time to enjoy their memories. Then the next gen can enjoy theirs. No reason to be rude and disrespectful.

#61 2 years ago

I don’t understand why people think this dude is the pinball prophet.

#62 2 years ago

I guess I have a hard time getting my head around how $5 is a “rip off” in this hobby. If I’m worried about $5, then I’m in the wrong hobby.

It’s just entertainment. Take it for what it is worth.

#63 2 years ago

Who?

#64 2 years ago

PoMC says YAWN!!!

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I value everyone’s opinions and with that said and all due respect, yours in this post is bullshit.
    Old man bullshit has to stop. Wtf. It’s this generations time to enjoy their memories. Then the next gen can enjoy theirs. No reason to be rude and disrespectful.

Exactly. No one wants a Pokémon pinball yet.

#66 2 years ago

A Jaws pinball with no movie assets
    (like JP).....no thanks.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

On his Facebook page.

#68 2 years ago

I’m fairly new here and don’t know much about Kaneda, how right has he been in the past with his pin predictions?

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

i would hope not. it's a very old movie and outdated. they need to drop all these old man themes. we've seen enough of them.

Versus the Gazillion Marvel and disney + themes? I'll take it and the other classics like Halloween anyday. There hasn't been an original classic movie anyone would want come out of Hollywood in 10 years.

#70 2 years ago

Jaws would be great. But I’ve also have heard jaws is coming for about ten years now.

#71 2 years ago

Obviously a code name for Love Boat.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #72 2 years ago
    Quoted from PINQUEST:

On his Facebook page.

Now on Patreon.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Dream theme for me. But here’s the thing: I don’t want it to hew to the movie. Awesome movie but not a great pinball story. Instead, give me a shark they pops up and eats balls/ throws them around, a boat, docks, pop bumpers shaped like bouys, etc, and the theme and I would be jacked. Or go the other way and you are the shark destroying things. Either way is a winner.
    And for those saying Jaws is old consider how many shark movies are out there and that are coming out every year. Sharks are a primal theme. The name Jaws is synonymous with it. You would be foolish to release a “shark attack” pinball instead of naming it Jaws.

This. I have always been trepidatious about this theme because I think the movie itself is a little limited in terms of assets for a good, deep pin. But if the idea is to use the spirit of the theme, with lots of music and action involving the shark that is integrated well to pinball? Home run potential.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Who do you think buys these machines and props up this industry?

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Jaws would be great. But I’ve also have heard jaws is coming for about ten years now.

A small handful of people can’t let it go. I think it’s a weak title, guessing a rubber shark bash toy and endless Jaws music that would be irritating in a home environment. Better titles to be made like James Bond, Back to the future, Black Sabbath.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

. I think it’s a weak title

I don’t agree that it’s weak. I’d say good but not top tier theme. I honestly don’t think it’s any better or worse than Godzilla. It just depends on how they treat it and Elwin seems to deliver if it is Elwin’s pin.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I don’t agree that it’s weak. I’d say good but not top tier theme. I honestly don’t think it’s any better or worse than Godzilla. It just depends on how they treat it and Elwin seems to deliver if it is Elwin’s pin.

I think Godzilla was a great choice sales wise, I was 10 years old in 77 and Jaws was a big deal for like a month or two until Star Wars came and kicked it right in the nuts then people forgot about it.

#78 2 years ago

I think Godzilla was a great choice sales wise

I think Elwin drives a lot of those sales. I’m not sure you would say the same thing if it was a different designer but maybe I’m wrong. I actually like the Godzilla theme.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Age(ism) seems to be the only "ism" that is still allowed in America. I wonder why that is.

#80 2 years ago

I think Godzilla was a great choice sales wise, I was 10 years old in 77 and Jaws was a big deal for like a month or two until Star Wars came and kicked it right in the nuts then people forgot about it.

Jaws came out two years before Star Wars.

Anyway, the fact that we’re still taking about Jaws almost 50 years after the movie released means it’s still relevant, even if some don’t like the movie or think it’s a good theme for pinball.

For me, it’s the perfect theme for pinball, but that doesn’t mean it will be a great game. Unless Elwin is the designer.

#81 2 years ago

I'm just looking forward to the mode that involves a shark eating a human.

There will need to be room for other modes. Maybe you can choose your character. If you choose Dreyfuss or Scheider, there can be a mode where the game goes dark and it plays Quint's entire story scene in stunning 4k.

#82 2 years ago

I would like to play from the perspective of Bruce (the shark) - goal is to eat as many swimmers as possible. You get extra points for lots of blood on the water and maximizing the panic and screaming of the people on the beach and in the water. Wizard mode is you have to defeat those two dudes (or was it three, I forget) in the boat and try to avoid getting an oxygen tank shoved in your mouth. Other side goals are non-people meals, pairing and avoiding fishing nets from people who just want your fin and maybe your teeth.

#83 2 years ago

Maybe the asshole mayor can be selectable, so instead of caring about sharks, you're trying to make money. I think people in the financial threads would love it.

#84 2 years ago

Jaws came out in 1975 and basically created the concept of the summer blockbuster. Thereafter studios started looking for “tent pole” concepts they could schedule all their release schedules around. And Star Wars came out in 1977, another blockbuster that helped develop the tent pole concept.

#85 2 years ago

Yup.

And that’s why Jaws is totally forgotten, a footnote in cinematic history.

#86 2 years ago

I’ve been collecting pinball machines for the past 4 years and still don’t know what or who a kanneda is

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I’ve been collecting pinball machines for the past 4 years and still don’t know what or who a kanneda is

And you’re better off for it.

Shameless self promoter who kisses his mirror ten times a day. I subscribed and paid to his show until he decided his brand was pay only. Chris then went into full ‘all about me’ mode and I dropped my Patreon.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Haha you pay for this and still get ripped off .
    It's so funny hearing him begging for $5 , then he brags about how much money he has .
    What a classy guy [quoted image]

Kaneda's subscribers continue to go up. So clearly he's doing something right.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

(like JP).....no thanks.

Shark.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

His own special brand of Manufactured Controversy.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

According to who - kaneda?
    Apparently you could have got this breaking news for free on Facebook

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Some things are just evergreen & permanent parts of pop culture. It’s like Godzilla…it’s almost a “generic” theme. People might have never seen the movies, but still know a lot about the theme. They’re ageless. Doesn't matter when they came out. Hell, I’ve never seen Jaws all the way through, I fall asleep every time I try…but I know the music & quotes and imagery because it’s just out there in our collective consciousness.

Anyway, does the shark win in the end?

Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

(like JP).....no thanks.

With JP, Elwin proved he can make an amazing & compelling game with minimal assets. Jaws that’s too close to the movie might be very limiting & boring. If anyone can make an awesome game about animals eating people without movie assets, it’s Elwin.

#93 2 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
    You're gonna need a bigger cabinet.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Who cares about Jaws, what did Kaneda say about Toy Story?

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

His own special brand of Manufactured Controversy.

Kaneda tried to warn people that Andrew Heighway was a charlatan, and many people probably lost money buying into broad brush comments like these. I would put more weight to what Kanada says about pinball than I would towards cnn on current events.

#96 2 years ago

I'm old enough that Jaws figured very prominently in my youth - in particular in my fear of ocean swimming! I would love to see a Jaws pin, but I hold out little hope that it would be anything special - owing above all to the assumed near-total lack of assets. I mean, if you think JP2 has scant assets, wait 'til you see a Jaws pinball!

It would be a great surprise if any of the following people/entities had anything to do with the pin:

1. Peter Benchley
    2. Steven Spielberg
    3. Robert Shaw's estate
    4. Roy Scheider's estate
    5. Richard Dreyfus
    6. Universal Studios

So, if you want an actor from the original film to grace the playfield or backglass, your best hope is Chief Brody's wife Ellen, played by actress Lorraine Gary. Lance Guest, who appears opposite Gary in one of the many forgettable sequels, is also a possibility.

The soundtrack I'm sure still belongs to Universal Studios, and perhaps they would license the main "stalking" theme. Perhaps not. John Williams would not be involved in the licensing.

What I'm trying to say is, prepare yourself for an "essence of Jaws" pin at best. All the speculation about rules that would reflect the original story is fun and all but no part of the story will be licensed for the pin. You won't, for instance, be able to blow the shark's head off by exploding a scuba tank lodged in its mouth. You won't be able to pursue the shark aboard the Orca. And you certainly won't be able to be or interact with any of the characters from the novel/movie. Instead, get ready for your basic Shark theme.

I think Stern would be foolish to make a game on those terms when other licenses can be had with more available assets that are just as iconic.

#97 2 years ago

Universal licensed the Universal Monsters for pinball.

Spielberg was attached to Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, and Transformers. All licensed for pinball.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I'm just looking forward to the mode that involves a shark eating a human.
    There will need to be room for other modes. Maybe you can choose your character. If you choose Dreyfuss or Scheider, there can be a mode where the game goes dark and it plays Quint's entire story scene in stunning 4k.

They should incorporate parts from Jaws 2.
    They could have a mode where Jaws bites the high voltage wire and the ground braid comes loose and the machine shocks the shit out of you.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:I think Stern would be foolish to make a game on those terms when other licenses can be had with more available assets that are just as iconic.

Why? They made Jurassic Park with the following assets:

-Theme music from John Williams
    -Likeness & voice clips of Wayne Knight (Nedry)

I thought this would doom the game. I was humbly proven wrong, the game is absolute god tier. The “original side story” concept that Elwin went with made it a better game in the end. He can easily do the same with Jaws, if the licensing situation is similar.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Lol, he’s right though. Cmon guys, how can we expect the next generations to carry on. Rush, Godzilla, Godfather, Jaws, Wonka, yawn.

Let’s go pinheads, get with the times. What’s next??

Golden Girls??

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-says-jaws/page/2?hl=mrawesome44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.