Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 305 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DS_Nadine
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25041B82-6AC3-4C23-B834-BE2D0DD88C4C (resized).jpeg
    He's back!.gif
    C3AA5663-7578-44BF-B321-F826C56BAC0A.gif
    OJ.jpg
    46361613-2BD5-4A93-915A-95D2295C3341.gif
    6F1BBFE9-1D7E-4A69-A322-DB76263476AC (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 2.16.36 PM (resized).png
    Hillbilly dance (resized).png
    6D58EEE7-BCDC-41C0-84D3-0C6507C510BC (resized).png
    B483A644-E32B-411D-81B9-14782A261954 (resized).png
    916fa5275a2df00400da369430b99ded (resized).jpg
    4ax3ea (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    499770A5-6FFA-401A-9DAD-BABC66382415 (resized).jpeg
    FCB6D73C-5214-4E76-ADA6-E9BC0A6584ED (resized).jpeg
    FDA9F562-6B69-4C12-8FFE-14716FAB0A15 (resized).jpeg

There are 305 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 3 years ago

If podcasts are stopped, why continue to collect patreon?

#252 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCapn:

Just so we are clear. I never asked for anything. I simply stated that I had a Patreon for those that 'wanted' to support my content. Which by the way is more than the infancy of my podcast. I'm only assuming you don't watch my Youtube(primary) content. Of which I provide simply for the love of the hobby. Which is why I will never release content on a schedule - because my life comes first and I will never rely on others to pay my bills. The money that I have made via Youtube/Patreon/donations has gone back into my content. Wireless mics to provide restoration info without having to always face the mic, lighting, cameras, the software that allows me to even do any of it.
    Like so many others have stated - it's an option. My content in general is an option.

It's fine. I realize it's a choice, on the end of the host as well as the listener.

But you do need to realize that at the start of your fourth episode, it seemed like you were going to give your assessment of what Kaneda discussed on his facebook video, and instead you seemed to delve down towards the road of "all of this content that you guys get for free" territory. Which just four brief episodes in, isn't exactly enamoring for the listener.

I don't know how you split revenue that you might get for any of this. I am of the understanding that Youtube for the majority of uploaders, is not at all profitable in any way, or usually just for enhanced gear.

I've watched some of your videos for sure, and you do solid production work, and often they come across as informed and even educational in some capacity. That said, the freeflowing podcast format has felt more barebones, a bit adrift, and when I heard in this last episode talk of a patreon page, then at the end an announcement of one, I was a bit surprised, given the overall newness and brevity of what you've posted so far.

And I dunno, creating and listing a Patreon page is asking for donations in some capacity. It's not demanding, but that and the "content for free" and "give back" statements do suggest a balance of content for cash.....if one so wishes to. In short, the doing something for fun, then hoping cash comes a person's way is offputting for me. That's just me, and I've created crappy art and a podcast in the past, and just hoped people found any value in those things at all.

Either way, good on ya, and keep doing things that make you feel happy!

#253 3 years ago

I gotta be honest here. I've been in pinball for about a decade. I'm an IT guy so absolutely familiar with podcasts and such. but I just never really cared to listen to any of them. So a few months ago (I'm going to remain semi professional here) I heard of some well known Podcast for pinball dude. I hate listening to podcasts so I decided to see if there was some youtube videos from him. Yep sure was! I was literally able to start an adventure with ZERO bias. Honestly, it was pretty douchetastic for me so I started watching some other (apparently) well known pinball dude videos to make sure that it wasn't just the personality that was a turn off. Nope. While the "other" pinball video dudes were easier to digest (more relatable as people), (by and large) it all mostly feels like activism and not journalism. I would very much like to see a nice funny person that equally glorifies as well as crucifies a machine. It's all kind of feels like beating around the bush. I want to hear brutal honesty. While it's always subjective and personal perspective I would much prefer R rated down to the brass tax feedback (Game won't be in your collection because of XYZ instead of the PG watered down here's a lollipop kid the game isn't that great approach. Are the podcasters/youtubers afraid of butt hurting the manufacturers? Afraid of losing the little benny they may have or what? I'm not flaming anyone specifically and I appreciate all everyone does for the community. Just voicing a perspective .... right .... wrong ... or indifferent.

#254 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

it was pretty douchetastic

Yes. Agreed.

I'm not sure but guessing this guy "restores" games.

#255 3 years ago

I have donated and will continue to donate to kaneda’s patreon... until October. If no content is put out in podcast form by then, im out.

Kaneda... i know your reading this...
    I love your pod, but if you dont provide any content, i dont have any reason to keep paying you. Sure the workout clips and piano vids are great... but thats not what im spending my hard earned cash to get.

Dance monkey.

#256 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

It's fine. I realize it's a choice, on the end of the host as well as the listener.
    But you do need to realize that at the start of your fourth episode, it seemed like you were going to give your assessment of what Kaneda discussed on his facebook video, and instead you seemed to delve down towards the road of "all of this content that you guys get for free" territory. Which just four brief episodes in, isn't exactly enamoring for the listener.
    I don't know how you split revenue that you might get for any of this. I am of the understanding that Youtube for the majority of uploaders, is not at all profitable in any way, or usually just for enhanced gear.
    I've watched some of your videos for sure, and you do solid production work, and often they come across as informed and even educational in some capacity. That said, the freeflowing podcast format has felt more barebones, a bit adrift, and when I heard in this last episode talk of a patreon page, then at the end an announcement of one, I was a bit surprised, given the overall newness and brevity of what you've posted so far.
    And I dunno, creating and listing a Patreon page is asking for donations in some capacity. It's not demanding, but that and the "content for free" and "give back" statements do suggest a balance of content for cash.....if one so wishes to. In short, the doing something for fun, then hoping cash comes a person's way is offputting for me. That's just me, and I've created crappy art and a podcast in the past, and just hoped people found any value in those things at all.
    Either way, good on ya, and keep doing things that make you feel happy!

I'm in all areas of this hobby. Started with no knowledge about pinball and that has escalated over the last decade to being an operator, restorer, enthusiasts, and content creator. I can tell you right now that the people that create content about pinball are not doing it for money - because there is very little to be made (by views and/or listens alone). This is why you hear many podcasts promote products. My first episode I state that I WILL NOT be doing that. When I chose to do the podcast it was to provide content for those that have asked for it. Some people don't like to watch video and would rather just listen to what I have to say. Others aren't into podcasts (I use to be like that too). I put up a Patreon because I get contacted by people asking how they can donate. I direct them to the silverball swag site for shirts - some don't want/like the shirt and would rather just pitch in a couple of bucks. I have had people ask if I would go full time Youtube - god no. That would suck, because my passion would then become a job which may result in me losing my passion for it. I have never promoted myself as being the almighty best at anything. I'm just a guy like everyone else here - I have decided to put out content is all. But what you state is true, wesman. "..and just hoped people found any value in those things at all." It feels good when others appreciate what you do. You get a little bit of a dopamine hit, and it gives you the feeling of wanting to continue doing it. That appreciation can be shown in different ways. A thumbs up, a good comment, increasing subscriber base and why would money feel any different? Of course with the good - you get the bad. Some people can take the bad, and others just simply can't handle it. That is also why you have seen certain people leave the hobby or drop out of being a content provider.

#257 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCapn:

I'm in all areas of this hobby. Started with no knowledge about pinball and that has escalated over the last decade to being an operator, restorer, enthusiasts, and content creator. I can tell you right now that the people that create content about pinball are not doing it for money - because there is very little to be made (by views and/or listens alone). This is why you hear many podcasts promote products. My first episode I state that I WILL NOT be doing that. When I chose to do the podcast it was to provide content for those that have asked for it. Some people don't like to watch video and would rather just listen to what I have to say. Others aren't into podcasts (I use to be like that too). I put up a Patreon because I get contacted by people asking how they can donate. I direct them to the silverball swag site for shirts - some don't want/like the shirt and would rather just pitch in a couple of bucks. I have had people ask if I would go full time Youtube - god no. That would suck, because my passion would then become a job which may result in me losing my passion for it. I have never promoted myself as being the almighty best at anything. I'm just a guy like everyone else here - I have decided to put out content is all. But what you state is true, wesman. "..and just hoped people found any value in those things at all." It feels good when others appreciate what you do. You get a little bit of a dopamine hit, and it gives you the feeling of wanting to continue doing it. That appreciation can be shown in different ways. A thumbs up, a good comment, increasing subscriber base and why would money feel any different? Of course with the good - you get the bad. Some people can take the bad, and others just simply can't handle it. That is also why you have seen certain people leave the hobby or drop out of being a content provider.

We appreciate and enjoy your content Carl!

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Man, and hasn't posted on that page since late January. Are there updates given by him somewhere as to why or what happens with the funds collected monthly when no content is being produced?

The irony is a deep dive into deteriming the total $$$ brought in by Bowen's patreon to calculate the average cost per tutorial would make for a great episode of kaneda's podcast...

His patreon was set up in 2016. Archive.org shows at one point pledges exceeded $1,400 per month.

#259 3 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

The irony is a deep dive into deteriming the total $$$ brought in by Bowen's patreon to calculate the average cost per tutorial would make for a great episode of kaneda's podcast...
    His patreon was set up in 2016. Archive.org shows at one point pledges exceeded $1,400 per month.

No idea how Patreon works, but on his pledge page it looks like he has set a goal of $800 but hasn’t reached it. He’s set rewards for the goal also. Like Kickstarter but subscription. Does that mean if he hasn’t reached the goal of $800 per month there’s no money taken?

#260 3 years ago

I believe any amount pledged goes to the creator every month. I'm no expert, so if I'm incorrect I hope people will correct me.

Bowen has various goals and the next highest not yet reached will display to incentivise new pledgers. Presumably all those already reached goals are active (in terms of money being delivered and products being expected).

If you click the left button on his unmet monthly $800 goal, you will see that he has already met his monthly $550 goal (and his monthly $300 goal, and monthly $175 goal, and monthly $150 goal, and monthly etc.). And, again, for I believe years he exceeded his $800 goal, and his monthly $1,050 goal, and his monthly $1,325 goal, etc).

Unless patreon exposes historical pledge data, only Bowen could report how much money has actually been brought in, since patronages can come and go. It seems fairly likely that the total numbers in multiple tens of thousands of dollars.

I was never a major backer, but ended my monthly subscription years ago when I realized he wasn't delivering anywhere near the same amount of content he did in the first couple years.

I do think it's a subject worthy of clarification. Set it and forget monthly withdrawals lend themselves to exploitation. Whether intentional or not, it seems to me Bowen has taken in far more money than he has delivered on per the terms he originally set up.

This isn't surprising given he went from a math teacher pinball hobbyist to someone employed in the industry. But if his situation has changed enough that what he originally said he intended to do no longer lines up with what he now intends to do, he should be transparent about that. And if that merits changing the terms of his patreon and offering refunds for deliverables unmet, he should do that.

More than half of his patreon funding has moved on. But what remaining percentage isn't aware they're still paying for something that has long not been delivered and may never be?

#261 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I should be compensated for posting my thoughts on Pinside and reading this thread.
    https://www.patreon.com/Mr68

And I for reading yours and sharing mine about reading yours.

https://www.patreon.com/Mr68/Nevusreadaboutit

#262 3 years ago
    Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 2.16.36 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-08-15 at 2.16.36 PM (resized).png
    #263 3 years ago

I like the guy.

He is kinda like the Munsters of pinball, when you think about it..

Lot of Drama in the many opinions from one end the the scale to the other.

Love or hate...lots in common with both..just a analogy..(bored today, what the hell)

#264 3 years ago
    6F1BBFE9-1D7E-4A69-A322-DB76263476AC (resized).png6F1BBFE9-1D7E-4A69-A322-DB76263476AC (resized).png
    #265 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCapn:

I appreciate your input and candor Cary.

It's a difficult line to walk. Hobby that you have fun doing. Hobby that is taxing and subtracts from some personal freedoms and increases personal cost and demands time. And the last possibility being full on gig that demands all of your time and becomes your livelihood. Those lines bleed over each other, and the demands of putting out any content do exist, so I do understand that, and empathize. My only statement was really, this is optional for people to create, as well as enjoy/dontate/etc. If shit gets too hectic, scale back. If your efforts feel unappreciated, lessen things. (Just a generalization here.)

And yeah, after Chris putting out 500ish episodes, I can imagine that's emotionally draining, most of all.

Anyway, keep doing what ya do! You're skilled at it, and you take pride in your presentation and what you say/feel.

Nice talking with you.

#266 3 years ago
    Quoted from BazilBLast:

Well said .
    People give shit to ZMeny because of bye bye bye , .

Its Buy Buy Buy...

#267 3 years ago
    Quoted from kidchrisso:

Its Buy Buy Buy...

Or a disgustingly clever Backstreet reference....

#268 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

*NSYNC bro

46361613-2BD5-4A93-915A-95D2295C3341.gif46361613-2BD5-4A93-915A-95D2295C3341.gif
    #269 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

*NSYNC bro [quoted image]

Weird. I started googling it and came up with those other goofs.

Either way, I am okay with being wrong on this one.

1 week later
    #270 3 years ago

So happy to hear #501. K-Man is back, baby!

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinghetto:

So happy to hear #501. K-Man is back, baby!

F-ing A, I didn't know nor did I expect his return. Thanks for the heads up!

#272 3 years ago

Did anyone really expect anything else? The smell of a publicity stunt reeks on this one.

I do not doubt that some asswipe called his employers. There are some really miswired people on this planet. I just believe the results from that call were exaggerated to Kaneda's benefit.

It's like the McRib. McDonalds could always sell that as an everyday item. But if you pull when people most want it, and bring it back after a period of time, the demand is greater and sales are higher. It's a classic marketing tool.

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Did anyone really expect anything else? The smell of a publicity stunt reeks on this one.
    I do not doubt that some asswipe called his employers. There are some really miswired people on this planet. I just believe the results from that call were exaggerated to Kaneda's benefit.

And running down the real culprits should provide material for the next hundred episodes.

OJ.jpgOJ.jpg
    #274 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

nor did I expect his return.

C3AA5663-7578-44BF-B321-F826C56BAC0A.gifC3AA5663-7578-44BF-B321-F826C56BAC0A.gif
    #275 3 years ago

Should be fun to see how long Kaneda 1.2 last....
    Over/under on what episode he “really” returns?

A few predictions.....
    503 - a few slight jabs at Zach
    505 - pinside babies return
    509 - JJP fucked up GnR for some reason or another
    513 - he flips Avengers
    517- He needs a break
    520 - leaks Zeppelin pin
    524 - Wins another twippy

Good to have you back K man.
    Stay classy but please not for long : )

#276 3 years ago

So... what happend to being his job in jeopardy?

Despite that I like him being back.
    He may be wrong; he might even be wrong (and a dick) most of the time, but I really missed his enthusiasm.

I don‘t believe this is a PR stunt, he‘s just so giddy to ralk about Avengers that he can‘t breath as fast as he want‘s to talk.
    I love it!

Sorry!

#277 3 years ago

Sounded like he was more concerned with some photos he lent to someone, who Posted them and he got in trouble with a Stern Employee, or he got the Stern Employee in trouble.
    Yeah. Anyway, I was bored and watched the latest and it was entertaining. He does sound a little stir crazy mixing up was/is currently but I'm doing the same thing.
    Glad he hipped me to the Avengers Pin, really interested in that one.
    Live and let live.

#279 3 years ago

The was an episode a while back where kaneda talked about Odin leaving pinside for a while and how when he came back he resolved to have a more wholesome approach to his interactions with the community. He went on to say that it lasted for just a little while before Odin was eventually sucked back into his old ways...

Intentional foreshadowing?

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Kaneda's back??

He's back!.gifHe's back!.gif

#281 3 years ago

25041B82-6AC3-4C23-B834-BE2D0DD88C4C (resized).jpeg25041B82-6AC3-4C23-B834-BE2D0DD88C4C (resized).jpeg
    #282 3 years ago

yeah, we tease him a lot 'cause we got him on the spot
    welcome back.

#283 3 years ago

Like him or not, he's how a pinball podcast host should sound. Clear, concise, excellent audio quality and says what he wants to say without much filler or off-topic nonsense. I have other podcasts for non-pinball topics and humor. I just expect a pinball podcast to deliver pinball content and Kaneda delivers the goods.

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Like him or not, he's how a pinball podcast host should sound. Clear, concise, excellent audio quality and says what he wants to say without much filler or off-topic nonsense. I have other podcasts for non-pinball topics and humor. I just expect a pinball podcast to deliver pinball content and Kaneda delivers the goods.

Pfft... I tried listening to the last one and could only last about 8 minutes. It's just him talking about himself and his self-centered take on everything. How people take a rambling, repetitive, narcissistic, unqualified, bipolar, inconsistent, hypocritical voice as some sort of authoritative take baffles me. You could literally make a episode of him just debunking himself.. never mind pulling in actual credible sources. It's exhausting trying to find the needle in the haystack listening to his monologue format. A format used because it's so self-serving.. and why it's used by blowhards masquerading as "news" all over the place. One voice.. beating a drum... uncontested. It's not an accident.

#285 3 years ago
    Quoted from kidchrisso:

Its Buy Buy Buy...

Quoted from wesman:

I wish I was that smart , it was just me talking into the phone and didn't check what was posted

#286 3 years ago

Does Kaneda have anything to do with the pinball industry or is he just some guy that needs attention? Why would someone new want to listen to this guy?

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from JWP72:

Does Kaneda have anything to do with the pinball industry or is he just some guy that needs attention? Why would someone new want to listen to this guy?

He has a much to do with the industry as most other podcasters
    I listen becuase he entertains me

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Pfft... I tried listening to the last one and could only last about 8 minutes. It's just him talking about himself and his self-centered take on everything. How people take a rambling, repetitive, narcissistic, unqualified, bipolar, inconsistent, hypocritical voice as some sort of authoritative take baffles me. You could literally make a episode of him just debunking himself.. never mind pulling in actual credible sources. It's exhausting trying to find the needle in the haystack listening to his monologue format. A format used because it's so self-serving.. and why it's used by blowhards masquerading as "news" all over the place. One voice.. beating a drum... uncontested. It's not an accident.

If that’s the way I thought about his podcast then I wouldn’t listen either. I don’t listen to anything that I don’t like or doesn’t entertain me. His podcast entertains me, plain and simple.

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from BazilBLast:

I wish I was that smart , it was just me talking into the phone and didn't check what was posted

Fuck need to do this!

#290 3 years ago

.....return the original intro...

#291 3 years ago

Isn't this the guy who ripped a kid off on a video game?

#292 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

You talking about the wreck it Ralph? It’s the buyers responsibility to know what they are doing and protect themselves. Not the sellers.

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

You talking about the wreck it Ralph? It’s the buyers responsibility to know what they are doing and protect themselves. Not the sellers.

Kaneda would love you have you on his show.

#294 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

If you actually knew the story ... you’d know that kaneda WAS THE BUYER in the fix it Felix fiasco. He screwed over a kid seller and then it all went south from there.

But glad you’re defending him blindly...

#295 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Quoted from flynnibus:

If you actually knew the story ... you’d know that kaneda WAS THE BUYER in the fix it Felix fiasco. He screwed over a kid seller and then it all went south from there.

Ancient history, he’s been banned from many other hobby forums since then ...

#296 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Ancient history, he’s been banned from many other hobby forums since then ...

(It's always the same people that post SOLELY to attack the guy in threads.... I always feel it's gotta be envy, as much as anything else, because why else post the same broken ass record???)

#297 3 years ago

Jusus fucking christ!! If you don't like him STOP POSTING ABOUT HIM!! WHY would anyone who dislikes him even be on this thread. IGNORE!!!! For shit's sake!!! YES, I've had tequila!

#298 3 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Jusus fucking christ!! If you don't like him STOP POSTING ABOUT HIM!! WHY would anyone who dislikes him even be on this thread. IGNORE!!!! For shit's sake!!! YES, I've had tequila!

And a cigar?

#299 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

(It's always the same people that post SOLELY to attack the guy in threads.... I always feel it's gotta be envy, as much as anything else, because why else post the same broken ass record???)

Apparently we’ve upset Ted while he’s drinking, and he doesn’t have an angry drunk vibe, so that’s a shame. I thought we were just having a laugh and shooting the shit about Kaneda in this thread, but if his fans are taking it personally and prefer this to be a non-critical supporters thread, maybe Patreon contributors only or something, I’m good with that.

#300 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Apparently we’ve upset Ted while he’s drinking, and he doesn’t have an angry drunk vibe, so that’s a shame. I thought we were just having a laugh and shooting the shit about Kaneda in this thread, but if his fans are taking it personally and prefer this to be a non-critical supporters thread, maybe Patreon contributors only or something, I’m good with that.

I think it's just the ole broken records all around that irk me, myself included at this point.

For me I always feel like the dude, or dudette if the case may be, needs to have the opportunity to defend themselves. This kind of smack talk, on here, ends up leading to him being corrosive on his podcast. He can't help read this stuff, and people can't help trash talking him. It's an endless barftastic cycle.

Then again, that's just the beat of culture presently. We kind of thrive on blood........

There are 305 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-s-back/page/6?hl=quadrider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.