Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 305 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DS_Nadine
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25041B82-6AC3-4C23-B834-BE2D0DD88C4C (resized).jpeg
    He's back!.gif
    C3AA5663-7578-44BF-B321-F826C56BAC0A.gif
    OJ.jpg
    46361613-2BD5-4A93-915A-95D2295C3341.gif
    6F1BBFE9-1D7E-4A69-A322-DB76263476AC (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 2.16.36 PM (resized).png
    Hillbilly dance (resized).png
    6D58EEE7-BCDC-41C0-84D3-0C6507C510BC (resized).png
    B483A644-E32B-411D-81B9-14782A261954 (resized).png
    916fa5275a2df00400da369430b99ded (resized).jpg
    4ax3ea (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    499770A5-6FFA-401A-9DAD-BABC66382415 (resized).jpeg
    FCB6D73C-5214-4E76-ADA6-E9BC0A6584ED (resized).jpeg
    FDA9F562-6B69-4C12-8FFE-14716FAB0A15 (resized).jpeg
    There are 305 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Yeah, I saw the live video and subsequent post.
    Very off-putting the way he went about it.

Like... how?

Did he ask for vast amounts of money and told some horrible story or did he just ask to support him on Patreon... as always?

Edit: Since he's allready selling his Rick & Morty he maybe is in trouble... :-/
    (Maybe flipflopping like always, who knows, but it's strange.)

#202 3 years ago

So Facebook page down. Looks like Patreon page down now too? So much mystery...

#203 3 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

So much mystery...

Is that the word for it?

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Like... how?
    Did he ask for vast amounts of money and told some horrible story or did he just ask to support him on Patreon... as always?
    Edit: Since he's allready selling his Rick & Morty he maybe is in trouble... :-/
    (Maybe flipflopping like always, who knows, but it's strange.)

He's selling his Rick and Morty already? Gee... No one saw that coming.

#205 3 years ago

I missed his facebook video, etc. Can somebody give us a quick rundown? From what I can glean, he asked for 6K to do the podcast and now seeing he is selling his R&M.

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I missed his facebook video, etc. Can somebody give us a quick rundown? From what I can glean, he asked for 6K to do the podcast and now seeing he is selling his R&M.

I never heard him say 6k. I heard him say $500 a month (which obviously adds up to $6k/year). But I don't think that is an unreasonable thing to ask. He has a podcast with a large audience, won TWIPPY awards, etc. So if he wants to get paid for his time, I see no problem with it. He isn't the first and won't be the last.

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I never heard him say 6k. I heard him say $500 a month (which obviously adds up to $6k/year). But I don't think that is an unreasonable thing to ask. He has a podcast with a large audience, won TWIPPY awards, etc. So if he wants to get paid for his time, I see no problem with it. He isn't the first and won't be the last.

If he's "threatening" to go off the air if he doesn't get paid I could see where that might turn some people off. But if his fans enjoying sending him cash and aren't put off by the way he asks for it, seems like a private transaction between consenting adults and I'm not going to question it.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

He's selling his Rick and Morty already? Gee... No one saw that coming.

While flipping his NIB machines without opening all the time, the games he had set up (Magic Girl & Batman) he kept.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

While flipping his NIB machines without opening all the time, the games he had set up (Magic Girl & Batman) he kept.

No he didn’t. He sold them.

#211 3 years ago

He said he wasn't going to "flip" the game, but we all knew he'd be selling it long before the 750 game run was complete.

#212 3 years ago

The one...the original... Gary and the Virgina Bull.

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

No he didn’t. He sold them.

There is a "for a reasonable amount of time" missing.

Srsly, come on. How long did he keep Batman? Two Years+? As a single game collection that is imho a lot of time.

That he kapt Magic Girl at all, altough shooting like a turd is a marvel.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I agree don’t see any issue in it but now no one knows what’s going on because his patreon page hasn’t been updated to his new money request, which has now been removed

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from Georgeh:

I agree don’t see any issue in it but now no one knows what’s going on because his patreon page hasn’t been updated to his new money request, which has now been removed

I haven't paying any attention to the status of his patreon page, but can understand that being confusing or frustrating. Generally speaking, the point I was making is that if somebody delivers a service that others find value in, asking for compensation makes sense. But it seems like you and I are on the same page on that.

#216 3 years ago

I enjoyed the podcast but "If I see real support, I may consider a return. But it has to be worth it " isn't how Patreon works. Patreon should shut his page down if he's not going to offer anything. I've supported a few content creators on Patreon over the years but again...you actually have to create content.

#217 3 years ago

I'd like his podcast to return, but I do not donate money to anyone. I honestly do not understand why people donate money to game streamers. That is just very weird to me. My thought is, fine, podcast or stream if you want to - maybe I'll watch or listen - but don't act like you're doing ME a fucking favor with your little hobby. I'll find something or someone else to watch or listen to, no problemo, if you stop doing what it is you're doing.

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I'd like his podcast to return, but I do not donate money to anyone. I honestly do not understand why people donate money to game streamers. That is just very weird to me. My thought is, fine, podcast or stream if you want to - maybe I'll watch or listen - but don't act like you're doing ME a fucking favor with your little hobby. I'll find something or someone else to watch or listen to, no problemo, if you stop doing what it is you're doing.

For some people, those streams and podcasts are how they make a living. It’s work. I would want to get paid for work I’m doing to help support my family.

Outside of that, for the hobbyists, it’s nice to know your stuff is appreciated. But it’s not necessary at all. Some people like to tip the content creators, others prefer not to. Both are perfectly fine. If I get a tiny payout from twitch, no matter what the amount, I just put it right back into making my streams better.

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

For some people, those streams and podcasts are how they make a living. It’s work. I would want to get paid for work I’m doing to help support my family.

If that's the work they choose to do for a living, fine, but I'm not donating to their paycheck.

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

If that's the work they choose to do for a living, fine, but I'm not donating to their paycheck.

That’s why you never tip your server at a restaurant, right? They chose that job and you’re not donating to their paycheck.

It’s just the structure that exists. If people like the content Jack Danger provides then that’s how he makes money.

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I think it’s a ton of work to put together a good podcast or stream, so it doesn’t hurt to toss a few dollars their way as a show of appreciation. It provides me with many hours of listening/watching enjoyment. You pay for Netflix, Cable, Amazon Prime. Content is content and I don’t really see the difference, especially when you can choose the amount you want to contribute.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

That’s why you never tip your server at a restaurant, right? They chose that job and you’re not donating to their paycheck.
    It’s just the structure that exists. If people like the content Jack Danger provides then that’s how he makes money.

You can’t equate being a server at a restaurant with a game streamer. It doesn’t make any sense to make that comparison.

And whatever, those streamers can put their streams behind a pay wall if they want to force people to pay. Otherwise given the option of watching free or donating, I’m watching free every time.

#223 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

You pay for Netflix, Cable, Amazon Prime.

No I don’t.

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You can’t equate being a server at a restaurant with a game streamer. It doesn’t make any sense to make that comparison.
    And whatever, those streamers can put their streams behind a pay wall if they want to force people to pay. Otherwise given the option of watching free or donating, I’m watching free every time.

I can and did. They are both jobs that don’t need to exist. You can make your own food and you are donating to their paycheck.

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

No I don’t.

You may not pay for Netflix, Cable or Amazon Prime, but those were just examples. They weren’t meant to be taken literally. I’m sure you pay for something with original content whether it be a newspaper, a magazine or something else. It’s all the same.

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

Don't you tip waiters over there because they earn so little , Kaneda goes on about how many hundreds of dollars he makes an hour .

Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m sure you pay for something with original content whether it be a newspaper, a magazine or something else. It’s all the same.

The things you have mentioned cost thousands or millions of dollars to produce , Kaneda just gives his opinion .
    I liked listening to his podcast but I wouldn't pay for it but if he had advertising , I could handle that if that helped make it happen .

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I enjoyed the podcast but "If I see real support, I may consider a return. But it has to be worth it " isn't how Patreon works. Patreon should shut his page down if he's not going to offer anything. I've supported a few content creators on Patreon over the years but again...you actually have to create content.

Been wondering about that for a couple years https://www.patreon.com/pinball

#228 3 years ago

I think the cost of production is irrelevant. It’s cost to the consumer relative to the value received. A magazine or newspaper may cost “thousands or millions” to produce as you say, but they only cost $5.00 or whatever to consume. I get hours of enjoyment out of podcasts each month. Maybe I’m a fast reader but I don’t get hours of enjoyment out of a newspaper or magazine. So, $5.00 a month or so to a podcaster seems like a steal to me for the value received in return.

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from BazilBLast:

Don't you tip waiters over there because they earn so little , Kaneda goes on about how many hundreds of dollars he makes an hour .

The things you have mentioned cost thousands or millions of dollars to produce , Kaneda just gives his opinion .
    I liked listening to his podcast but I wouldn't pay for it but if he had advertising , I could handle that if that helped make it happen .

This is what I never get with these "content creators" either. It's a choice, for them to make it either a lightly invested hobby or to hope it can amplify their career earnings or BE their career.

Many videos need much effort to be created, but all the same, many, many videos or podcasts are OPINION BASED....not information based, which requires no information or little collection at all, just enough ego to assume someone should SPEND their time listening to and valuing you.

The other day, when I heard Cary Hardy release an "episode" of him simply talking about Kaneda's situation, then adding in that he started a Patron page, I just about stopped listening immediately. Content creation involving opinions, is really barebones, and also not very informing or unique and rarely entertaining.

So yeah, guys and gals, you want and feel you should be supported? Well, create podcasts that are informed as well as educational, and I'd consider. But "History of Rome" with Mike Duncan, these podcasts are not.

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from BazilBLast:

I work at an ad agency, so does Kaneda. He always qualifies it as the billable hour rate. That isn't his take home hourly rate. I'm sure Kaneda does very well for himself, he has a great mind for creative. But understand that when he says billable rate per hour, that is what the company charges the client for hourly work.

#231 3 years ago

I agree with what you are saying - in part. Not all content or podcasts are created equal. Some require more work than others. My guess is Kaneda spent quite a bit of time behind the scenes talking to sources and trying to get information. I’m of the impression that there was more to it than him just hopping on the mic and stating his opinion. In the end, you certainly have no obligation to contribute. Just like you say it’s a podcasters choice to podcast, it’s your choice to decide if you want to contribute. However, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for a few dollars here and there given the effort many put into their work product.

#232 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I agree with what you are saying - in part. Not all content or podcasts are created equal. Some require more work than others. My guess is Kaneda spent quite a bit of time behind the scenes talking to sources and trying to get information. I’m of the impression that there was more to it than him just hopping on the mic and stating his opinion. In the end, you certainly have no obligation to contribute. Just like you say it’s a podcasters choice to podcast, it’s your choice to decide if you want to contribute. However, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for a few dollars here and there given the effort many put into their work product.

Not sure if you were replying to me or not, but I entirely agree that some people might feel like some of these videos or podcasts deserve some cash thrown their way.

For me, it's things like when these folks say, "I put out all of this content for free, and..." that gets my hackles raised. Especially in Hardy's situation when it's his 4th or 5th brief episode, and when largely he's just been giving Joe Schmoe style opinions.

Kaneda, as much as I can appreciate him, and at times get irked, gets a high level of validation from what he's produced. Thousands of people speaking about him, listening to him, and knowing who he is. Do any of us get ego validation on any level close to that on any given day? No way. So again, for me, that's a HUUUUUGE payment given via listeners, time and praise.

#233 3 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I work at an ad agency, so does Kaneda. He always qualifies it as the billable hour rate. That isn't his take home hourly rate. I'm sure Kaneda does very well for himself, he has a great mind for creative. But understand that when he says billable rate per hour, that is what the company charges the client for hourly work.

Whatever the case , he does brag about how much money he makes , he drives $100,000 plus car , he drinks $5,000 bottles of scotch and will spend 300 bucks for a meal at a restaurant and good luck to him .
    He can spend his money however he wants .
    I'm just saying I won't pay to listen to a podcast , I appreciate all the effort and time and effort put in but I'd be happy to listen to some advertising if he wants to make some more money .

#234 3 years ago

I am still confused. K-man stopped his podcast because his livelihood was being threatened. But $500 a month is enough for him to jeopardize it? Seems fishy to me.

Quoted from mkecasey:

I was going to post the same thing. He is talking about billable rate. I also work at an agency and my employer charges 300 per hour for my services...but I don't make close to that number.

#235 3 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Been wondering about that for a couple years https://www.patreon.com/pinball

Wow, that doesn't seem right. So Bowen has been collecting over $600 a month and hasn't put out a single new video in over 6 months?

Here's an example of a Patreon done right. The owner creates very professional level documentaries for video games and puts out regular updates. The documentaries also end up being released to the public for free after a period of time. Also, the different tier levels actually offer something that people may find of value.

https://www.patreon.com/noclip

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

And that's totally within your rights because they set it up that way. However, for DeadFlip, I always try to make sure I have him linked to my Amazon Prime account so he gets a subscriber under his belt, and make sure I have some bits on hand if I feel like tipping.

It's one thing if it's just some Joe in his basement. Anyone here who owns even 1 pin can probably afford a cheap streaming setup. Have some friends over, have an awkward intro where 3 guys who have been hanging out for hours do the "how are you today?" formalities, and play a game with some combination of lighting, audio, or angles being off, and boom you got a Twitch channel.

Jack kind of started off that way, reinvested the early money made back into his setup, and now is putting out some fan-freggin-tastic content. He has a studio FFS. He taps into the boards now for direct audio. Lighting and angles are optimized, and he even made the background look nice (mine would be a dehumidifier and a Tetris cab I've been swearing on working on for like a year now). This is legit content, and if it entertains you for hours, especially given the effort on his end put in, why not consider tipping? I've given a lot more $$$ for a lot less (insert Creed Bratton meme).

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

I am still confused. K-man stopped his podcast because his livelihood was being threatened. But $500 a month is enough for him to jeopardize it? Seems fishy to me.

Exactly. I guess if we give him 5 hundo a month he'll explain.

#238 3 years ago

I should be compensated for posting my thoughts on Pinside and reading this thread.

https://www.patreon.com/Mr68

#239 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

And that's totally within your rights because they set it up that way. However, for DeadFlip, I always try to make sure I have him linked to my Amazon Prime account so he gets a subscriber under his belt, and make sure I have some bits on hand if I feel like tipping.
    It's one thing if it's just some Joe in his basement. Anyone here who owns even 1 pin can probably afford a cheap streaming setup. Have some friends over, have an awkward intro where 3 guys who have been hanging out for hours do the "how are you today?" formalities, and play a game with some combination of lighting, audio, or angles being off, and boom you got a Twitch channel.
    Jack kind of started off that way, reinvested the early money made back into his setup, and now is putting out some fan-freggin-tastic content. He has a studio FFS. He taps into the boards now for direct audio. Lighting and angles are optimized, and he even made the background look nice (mine would be a dehumidifier and a Tetris cab I've been swearing on working on for like a year now). This is legit content, and if it entertains you for hours, especially given the effort on his end put in, why not consider tipping? I've given a lot more $$$ for a lot less (insert Creed Bratton meme).

I.E. Pinball has as polished a stream, it's incredibly informed and instructive, and I've seen Karl's stream have one or two tips per stream, compared to Jack's multitude, and Buffalo Pinball just behind.

Quoted from Mr68:

I should be compensated for posting my thoughts on Pinside and reading this thread.

I kinda feel like that's the case in all of our posts. We take the time to read each other's gobbledygook.

#240 3 years ago

The Twitch/YouTube/Podcast formula is pretty simple.

1) Create content

2) If people like it, they will consume

3) If people really like it, appreciate it, value it, want more of it - they will donate, tip, subscribe...

Most people i know who create content do it because they love it, and hope to bring in some money on the side. Very few can use it as their only income. Nevertheless, the no paywall approach seems to work best. The cream rises to the top, and the greats get compensated for doing the best at providing the best content.

Also, there is generally no pressure on anyone to feel compelled to donate. I typically don't, but do pass out my free prime subscription to streamers on Twitch, as well as the occasional one off donation because i appreciate what that person is doing.

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Back in my day thoughts went for a penny and they were a lot better thoughts.

Hillbilly dance (resized).pngHillbilly dance (resized).png
    #242 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grossp59:

The Twitch/YouTube/Podcast formula is pretty simple.
    1) Create content
    2) If people like it, they will consume
    3) If people really like it, appreciate it, value it, want more of it - they will donate, tip, subscribe...
    Most people i know who create content do it because they love it, and hope to bring in some money on the side. Very few can use it as their only income. Nevertheless, the no paywall approach seems to work best. The cream rises to the top, and the greats get compensated for doing the best at providing the best content.
    Also, there is generally no pressure on anyone to feel compelled to donate. I typically don't, but do pass out my free prime subscription to streamers on Twitch, as well as the occasional one off donation because i appreciate what that person is doing.

Well said .
    People give shit to ZMeny because of bye bye bye , I have been watching and listening to his stuff since the beginning and he has never asked for donations , only subscribe to his channel ( which cost nothing )

He dose it because of the love of the hobby . And if he is now making a buck good on him .

#243 3 years ago

Years ago when I was talking to Chris about Jpop and Heighway one day he said he was going to do a podcast since he got banned from Pinside

I said why the F would you want to waste your time doing it? Don’t you better things to do?

499 podcasts later I congratulated him for getting his life back!

If you go back and do this for $500 per month and you spend 25 hours a month recording it and thinking about that’s $20 bucks an hour. Why? Why do it for $50 bucks an hour ?

Do it as a labor of love like Chuck and some others. OR it’s your job and work to stream etc

Spend that time with Brenda and Bubba and playing pinball !

#244 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, that doesn't seem right. So Bowen has been collecting over $600 a month and hasn't put out a single new video in over 6 months?

Was previously over $1,000 a month with somewhat higher output, but not by much.

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Years ago when I was talking to Chris about Jpop and Heighway one day he said he was going to do a podcast since he got banned from Pinside
    I said why the F would you want to waste your time doing it? Don’t you better things to do?
    499 podcasts later I congratulated him for getting his life back!
    If you go back and do this for $500 per month and you spend 25 hours a month recording it and thinking about that’s $20 bucks an hour. Why? Why do it for $50 bucks an hour ?
    Do it as a labor of love like Chuck and some others. OR it’s your job and work to stream etc
    Spend that time with Brenda and Bubba and playing pinball !

RAPTORS? ..is College basketball a go?

#246 3 years ago

He added the 80's music mix. I saved it this time as I really liked it. No idea where he got he. Did he make this mix? Anyway, if he starts back up I might do the $5 or $10 month contribution.

#247 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Man, and hasn't posted on that page since late January. Are there updates given by him somewhere as to why or what happens with the funds collected monthly when no content is being produced?

#248 3 years ago

I think all you guys should Patreon him whatever he’s asking for so I can then listen for free.

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

This is what I never get with these "content creators" either. It's a choice, for them to make it either a lightly invested hobby or to hope it can amplify their career earnings or BE their career.
    Many videos need much effort to be created, but all the same, many, many videos or podcasts are OPINION BASED....not information based, which requires no information or little collection at all, just enough ego to assume someone should SPEND their time listening to and valuing you.
    The other day, when I heard Cary Hardy release an "episode" of him simply talking about Kaneda's situation, then adding in that he started a Patron page, I just about stopped listening immediately. Content creation involving opinions, is really barebones, and also not very informing or unique and rarely entertaining.
    So yeah, guys and gals, you want and feel you should be supported? Well, create podcasts that are informed as well as educational, and I'd consider. But "History of Rome" with Mike Duncan, these podcasts are not.

Just so we are clear. I never asked for anything. I simply stated that I had a Patreon for those that 'wanted' to support my content. Which by the way is more than the infancy of my podcast. I'm only assuming you don't watch my Youtube(primary) content. Of which I provide simply for the love of the hobby. Which is why I will never release content on a schedule - because my life comes first and I will never rely on others to pay my bills. The money that I have made via Youtube/Patreon/donations has gone back into my content. Wireless mics to provide restoration info without having to always face the mic, lighting, cameras, the software that allows me to even do any of it.

Like so many others have stated - it's an option. My content in general is an option.

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Spend that time with Brenda and Bubba

They probably prefer that he does the podcast as it is most likely the only time they get him away from the mirror(s).

There are 305 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-s-back/page/5?hl=gunsnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.