Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,029 posts
  • 269 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

228258e4dee30819fb382b87d11e5cf1 (resized).jpg
    Unknown-2 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Crime-22 (resized).jpg
    C3DECEF7-C00E-4EB4-9753-CA1CD16DE347 (resized).jpeg
    Jumping-the-Shark-Happy-Days-640x360 (resized).jpg
    DB3A5EF6-1FA4-421A-A234-2D480F83E8D5 (resized).jpeg
    tenor-31.gif
    IMG_20200630_232050 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-223105_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-223251_Chrome (resized).jpg
    10C9CAF1-A4A9-44F1-9214-3160629E109A (resized).jpeg
    Stephcorn.gif
    uAhjbZk (resized).png
    Screenshot_2020-06-30-06-45-58-30 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zpinman370.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

This is going to be the new normal now that activists have become so powerful and out of control, especially in the USA. If someone doesn't like what you say or don't agree with you, they'll try to get you fired from your job or do anything to ruin your life.
    2020 sure has been a hellish year, and it's only halfway over!

this is so true now on so many levels - the tail wagging the dog or the vocal minority shutting up the passive majority - Kaneda was brash and over the top on lots of things but that's what made his podcast great and he did get the inside scoop on a lot of things - whomever did go to his employer as others have said is really a piece of work and if found out, who knows, maybe they will find the other shoe up their ass doesn't feel all that good. I am thinking Cary Hardy could be a good fill in as he seams to tell it like it is and is not beholding to the pinball companies like our other notable podcast shill

#34 3 years ago

the thing we all have to keep in mind is that these days your considered guilty as soon as someone makes any kind of accusation. This is corporate political correctness taken to the max and abused and used by the minority of subversives that know how to use social media to there advantage. Its obvious someone or company took exception to Kaneda's viewpoint and freedom of speech and took the underhanded steps to shut him down. Scumbag move

#151 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

That's only a problem if your employer also doesn't like what you say. If it's true he works in marketing and he's wrecking other companies' marketing efforts, yes that will bite you in the ass. I have no problem with Stern/AP asking for professional courtesy. No way his employer cares about him arguing about regular pinball bullshit. His show was popular because of early leaks, and now it's done because one leak too many.

It sounds like some of these companies got caught with their collective pants down on the marketing front. Instead of looking at themselves and the people they employ to do this they decided to go after a guy that scooped them and make him pay. Maybe they should hire Kaneda and get rid of the turds they have now

#332 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Guess it was easier to go after Chris than actually address issues he raised and improve your product

Well you know that all the manufacturers need to up their game for the prices they want to charge. If Stern's (or others) model was to focus on the operators and not give a shit about the HUO market they need to re-think that priority. Who the hell is going out in this environment to play on location?? The thing is when you buy a new game and it looks like the moon after few hundred plays why would you want to purchase another from that company unless your an operator?? I know there is a thread for this, but to the point at hand, shutting up a vocal critic I guess they think may be good for business if indeed it was them. Maybe someone should compile a list and we can really get the conspiracy theories going

#360 3 years ago
    Quoted from zenbone:

This 1,000,000,000%
    just a PR stunt to attach the moniker that the pinball world needs him to "keep it real" and boast of his army of listeners that were lost without him when he comes back for the 500th show

I sure hope so - BUY, BUY, BUY !!!

#384 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Sounds like a perfect president cadidate.

Yes you guys do seem to like this kind of mentality

#396 3 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

And I thought hypocrisy (and egotism) in politics was global.

It is but at the present as you guys like to say "USA,USA were # 1"

#407 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Yeah, and now plz look at that little flag again.

LOL - my apologies for trying to lump you in with our cousins to the south - at least I know our German friends have a level head on their shoulders

#416 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Some. Idiots are everywhere. Don't generalize (although it's fun)!

Yes EH - we have lots here as well but it is kind of fun to knock the top dogs off their posts once in awhile

On another note - if Kaneda wins a Twippy, I wonder how that acceptance speech will go, or will he be neutered at that as well by corporate correctness run amok

#417 3 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Will concede maple syrup and poutine to CA - and maybe hockey.

Yes EH - don't take away our Maple Syrup and as for hockey most of the Canadian teams suck these days so we have to cede that to our American cousins. I was in diapers the last time the Leafs won the cup and may be in diapers again before they win another

#444 3 years ago

Now that Kaneda is gone maybe Cary will step up to the plate being he is not on TPN and is way more subjective than the other guys and main shill who will never criticize any of the manufacturers - you know Buy, Buy, Buy

#465 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

Trending up this week!
    What a tool bag of a show and “network”. I love my podcasts to be hour long commercials...
    Cary is Legit! I enjoy is content

You know i really used to enjoy SDTM but once he became a distro the whole vibe changed and to your point it feels like an infomercial now and some of it is just plain lame

#486 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

I agree 100% the old SDTM was great before he became a distro. Now he just give creepy used car salesman vibes. Like a Shopper stalker.

Hey if you keep talking like this people will say that your not playing nice in the pinside sandbox

#488 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

Oh I already got a warning from the mods lmao still going to be a dick though, it’s just my nature.

lmao - you go man - someone needs to tell it like it is now that no Kaneda. I hope our man Cary Hardy will carry the torch of honest and unbiased reviews going forward.

#496 3 years ago
    Quoted from fridgejam:

Don’t be a machinist.

How does a machinist equate to owning that turd of a game?? is that some sort of Aussie term?

#501 3 years ago
    Quoted from fridgejam:

It was a play on the word racist. People who own Stranger Things are not bad people.

Ah ok lol - yes i agree, but doesn't mean the game isn't one of Stern's bigger turds maybe not in WWE territory......

#505 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Worse?
    Played the Pro only one time on (a loud & dark) location but you couldn‘t hear the toned down, bass heavy synth music or see a thing with that Purple GI.
    That doesn‘t mean it‘s a bad game but it was srsly nearly unplayable.
    And every other game there was fine.

Like Kaneda said in his final podcast Stern is the top dog and does put out more than all the others combined so that's a plus but there are also the minus items such as crap themes, display graphics and of course the shit playfields. The one good thing they do is for the most part have good artwork. Kaneda called it as it is and paid the price which is sad.

#524 3 years ago

Quoted from Scandell:

Couldn’t agree with this more. Zach, if you happen to read this...you’d sell more machines if you weren’t obviously trying to sell machines. Stick to:
    1. “this or that”
    2. Reviews
    3. Interviewing Pinball owners and creators
    Rinse and repeat
    Your status as the loveable know-it-all pinball nerd is your best sales tactic. No more “UV kit installs”. No more topper adverts.
    I’m a huge fan of the show. I’ve watched every episode twice.

Don't worry he is reading all of this for sure, but will it matter as he is on the other side of the fence now as a distro and using media to drive sales. That's the part, where as many have said before that you can no longer be objective so as a pinball enthusiast you have to step back and see it for what it is. The whole TPN thing is a sales pitch with nary a negative comment on any of the manufactures games and just Buy, Buy, Buy

#546 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scandell:

Good question. I guess a lot of the community is reflecting on what makes good pinball media due to Kanada’s fizzle out. We want pinball shows to succeed. And I personally thought your show was a good example of a healthy, respectful dialog that captured the “this is why pinball is fun and worth it” vibe. You also gave me the feeling of having two pinball buds. Which I don’t have cause I’m new to the hobby.
    But now it’s like my buds are trying to sell me on their essential oils business.
    Per usual, others will pile on my feedback with their pissy moods... love you and Greg.

Well said!! - I love the oil essentials comparison - kind of like this topper is the best thing since sliced bread - buy, buy, buy!!

We are not hating on anyone it's just a lot of us used to wait faithfully for the next SDTM episode and always liked the way the guys got along and the banter back and forth. That all changed when $$ became the objective as a distro. There is nothing wrong with being on that side of the fence but you can't play both sides. As you said in your post we are looking for someone to fill the void left by Kaneda so thus some of the comparison.

TPN appears as a bunch of groupies for the manufacturers!! All the varying points of view that were present before the amalgamation into that entity have been snuffed out except for maybe Cary Hardy. Good marketing for sure on Flip N Out's part so kudo's for being savvy that way. Let's not get sold any of the snake oil that is being pushed on behalf of, for the most part Stern by these guys. I also understand that putting yourself out there in a podcast is not the easiest thing to do, but that is a choice you all make. We hope you hear our voices of concern, put forth a better more objective product or decide to step back to let other non-invested guys take the reigns and run with things.

#597 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

I’m no detective but could this thread’s much speculated on suspect been under our collective noses from the very first post?
    [quoted image]

Didn't you know the Swiss are neutral I am pretty sure the scumbag is home grown but hasn't enough balls to show himself for the coward he is.

#704 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Man, the internet REALLY makes it hard for me to decide I'd this is sarcasm or not. The man is a self absorbed asshole.

He may very well be all the negative things that people say and I have to admit some of the rants with all the F bombs were over the top.

That being said, he did provide some decent content, and a psycho ying to the Stern sycophant yang that notable others (you know who you are) are putting out as content.

I fail to see why with being scooped on reveals that some of these companies are not looking internally at the useless marketing people they are using and gas them just like they likely did to Kaneda.

#797 3 years ago

Quoted from alpha70:The best pinball podcasts in my opinion are now no longer on the air except for Spooky.
    Who else misses these fine gems.
    Topcast
    The Pinball Podcast with Don and Jeff
    Pinheadz pinball podcast
    Coast to Coast pinball
    Kaneda

We all miss some of these. The new reality is that the clever marketing by certain individuals to create the TPN Stern sycophant suck zone has taken the air away from some other objective voices. With the loss of Kaneda we are just going to get all lollipops and rainbows from the manufacturers mouths to TPN's ears and blasted out to the masses in another infomercial to drive sales - Buy, Buy, Buy

#806 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

And we are still waiting for evidence of this. I can see why you liked Kaneda so much.

The evidence, is in the opinions being put forth on TPN that all is rosy with every game being put out - especially as a distributor selling them. Its a savvy way to drive sales so good idea to think this up.

Most of us are not lemmings waiting in line to spend big $$ on a game that looks like the moon after a couple hundred plays or $600.00 on a topper just because someone says - Buy, Buy, Buy

As for liking Kaneda, at least he was objective for the most part even if way over the top on a lot of things.

We used to all love the SDTM episodes and the presentation put forth but we know how that changed. I feel bad for your buddy, as we all really like him, and he is now become an unwitting accomplice of another infomercial to shill product.

BTW- the singing on TPN sucks - I can just visualize your co-host Krienging every time it happens

#809 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

This right here. He was on the side of the consumer and that was obvious. Every other podcast is full of yes men and women. I enjoyed listening to Kaneda pick apart issues and criticize companies on their decisions. I love his research and company history stories and loved hearing his thoughts and ideas. Nobody did it better, there was no fluff, and he was a one-man show because he's a rock star.
    HOWEVER
    He was too brash for his own good. He was daring other people to do something about it. I think going to his employer is out of line, but Kaneda was literally taunting opponents. "What are you gonna do about it!?" Well, that's what they are gonna do. They won by fighting dirty.
    If he restarts the podcast -- and I think he can and should -- he should use a more suggestive approach. "Let's read what users on pinside have to say" and then analyze why the feedback is coming through the way it is. "I wonder if" and "Maybe they could" and "If I was in charge", etc. Don't name-call people and businesses. You can agree or disagree with a business decision or practice and explain why, but when you go into a tirade and drop f-bombs and name-call, you're just daring someone to do something about it.
    He better come back, call the new podcast "Kaneda 500" or something, which shows the new and improved Kaneda that starts at episode 500.

Well said!!

#821 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

You do realize that there are like 11 different podcasts on TPN, with over a dozen hosts. Zach is the only person on the network that is also a distributor, and he is only really on one of the shows. Now a few of the hosts of the other shows do work in the industry in some capacity, but most do not.
    Zach and Dennis do not censor or control the content of the other shows on The Pinball Network. So if everyone on the network is taking a positive view, then that's their own choice. If the other shows on TPN are generally espousing a positive and happy take on the pinball hobby and industry, and if the other shows are usually happy with the quality of the games that are coming out, then guess what....that's really how they feel!
    The people that make Pinball Media are generally people that are happy with the hobby, and excited about pinball. That's why they're making content. You can't bully people into hating Stern or taking a negative viewpoint. Maybe a lot of people simply don't share your views. If you really feel like we need more grumpy and cynical pinball content, then go make some. When I felt like something was missing from pinball media, you know what I did? I went out and made some content that filled that void. I put myself out there, got some great guests, did the prep-work, and recorded + edited a podcast for public consumption. And thanks to TPN's open-mic "Off-The-Record" podcast, I even had a platform to share it on.
    If you truly feel that there's a void in pinball media now that Kaneda's gone, instead of attacking Zach, why don't you try to make some content yourself?

Quoted from Spelunk71:

I am in no way attacking Zach and appreciate everything he has done for the hobby. I was just pointing out an inherent conflict of interest. Some people will care, some people will not. I really enjoy the content but take the views with a grain of salt.

I get that it's not easy to put yourself out there and make content and good for those that do!! The thing is, it is a choice, and should be open to some critique??

The gist of objections to TPN and I guess to be specific - The Pinball Show - is when you hear someone talking things up like some ring leader at the Carnival wanting you to come on in and see the bearded lady or guy with 20 toes - you know its either fake or an anomaly.

This is where Kaneda said it best regarding THE VALUE, we as purchasers, should expect for the hard earned and ever increasing $$ we are throwing down on new games. I know it's not in the nature of most people to act like Kaneda with f'bombs and such to get the point across so he gets a big F on that front.

That being said, as others have also weighed in, it's an inherent conflict of interest to talk every game up when you know full well some of the numerous documented issues going on with them.

RIP Kaneda - or until episode 500

#832 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I hear you. I just get tired of the constant, "Zach has no objectivity, Zach is a schill!" criticisms. I don't know why people feel the need to constantly point it out. He's been a distro for a long time now, it's no secret, and it's not even his day job. If him being a distro lessons your enjoyment of his content, then so be it. What's the purpose of calling it out all the time? I don't get it.
    I got equally tired of the, "Kaneda doesn't even own a game!" bullshit criticism too. As if the only way to enjoy the pinball hobby, or have an opinion, is to have a pin inside your home. Hearing the same old attacks and criticisms gets real old after a while.

Ok - Point Taken- I really have said more than i wanted too anyway. The rest of you can voice your opinion with it from here on out

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zpinman370.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-podcast-dead?tu=zpinman370 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.