Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,029 posts
  • 269 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

228258e4dee30819fb382b87d11e5cf1 (resized).jpg
    Unknown-2 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Crime-22 (resized).jpg
    C3DECEF7-C00E-4EB4-9753-CA1CD16DE347 (resized).jpeg
    Jumping-the-Shark-Happy-Days-640x360 (resized).jpg
    DB3A5EF6-1FA4-421A-A234-2D480F83E8D5 (resized).jpeg
    tenor-31.gif
    IMG_20200630_232050 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-223105_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-223251_Chrome (resized).jpg
    10C9CAF1-A4A9-44F1-9214-3160629E109A (resized).jpeg
    Stephcorn.gif
    uAhjbZk (resized).png
    Screenshot_2020-06-30-06-45-58-30 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 1,029 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 21.
    #501 3 years ago
    Quoted from fridgejam:

It was a play on the word racist. People who own Stranger Things are not bad people.

Ah ok lol - yes i agree, but doesn't mean the game isn't one of Stern's bigger turds maybe not in WWE territory......

#502 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I vote for - "who couldn't care less"

Yet you're here posting in this thread.

#503 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Ah ok lol - yes i agree, but doesn't mean the game isn't one of Stern's bigger turds maybe not in WWE territory......

Worse?

Played the Pro only one time on (a loud & dark) location but you couldn‘t hear the toned down, bass heavy synth music or see a thing with that Purple GI.
    That doesn‘t mean it‘s a bad game but it was srsly nearly unplayable.

And every other game there was fine.

#504 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jigs:

Exactly like the other current podcasters. One guy, who proclaimed his restoration skills to be so great on a video...

By all means please inform me on which video I stated this. I only ask because I need to retract this statement. I'm pretty sure I have never proclaimed such a thing.

I'm merely a person like all of you. I love pinball, and I put out content that I would hope expresses that. I'm well aware that I'm not liked by everyone (they have their reasons) and I don't expect to be liked by everyone (I'm no Betty White). I appreciate those of you that have named me as a 'place holder' for Kaneda until his possible return. His shoes can never be filled. His abrupt exit will not affect my content. As per usual I will "do what I do" and we shall see where things go from there.

#505 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Worse?
    Played the Pro only one time on (a loud & dark) location but you couldn‘t hear the toned down, bass heavy synth music or see a thing with that Purple GI.
    That doesn‘t mean it‘s a bad game but it was srsly nearly unplayable.
    And every other game there was fine.

Like Kaneda said in his final podcast Stern is the top dog and does put out more than all the others combined so that's a plus but there are also the minus items such as crap themes, display graphics and of course the shit playfields. The one good thing they do is for the most part have good artwork. Kaneda called it as it is and paid the price which is sad.

#506 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bumper:

"Who ratted on Kaneda?"

Quoted from o-din:

Has he insulted deeproot yet?

robert mueller swears he had nothing to with any of this.
    robertmueller3 (resized).jpgrobertmueller3 (resized).jpg

#507 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

You know i really used to enjoy SDTM but once he became a distro the whole vibe changed and to your point it feels like an infomercial now and some of it is just plain lame

Couldn’t agree with this more. Zach, if you happen to read this...you’d sell more machines if you weren’t obviously trying to sell machines. Stick to:

1. “this or that”
    2. Reviews
    3. Interviewing Pinball owners and creators

Rinse and repeat

Your status as the loveable know-it-all pinball nerd is your best sales tactic. No more “UV kit installs”. No more topper adverts.

I’m a huge fan of the show. I’ve watched every episode twice.

#508 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scandell:

Couldn’t agree with this more. Zach, if you happen to read this...you’d sell more machines if you weren’t obviously trying to sell machines. Stick to:
    1. “this or that”
    2. Reviews
    Rinse and repeat

TRUE and don’t pick on pizza guys named Jake because extra cheese doesn't count as an extra topping.
    B7682293-4839-436A-A5B4-010DDEDFAEB4 (resized).jpegB7682293-4839-436A-A5B4-010DDEDFAEB4 (resized).jpeg

#509 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

This thread is peak pinside. Soak it in boys, the comments don't get this good very often. We've got conspiracy theories, political ramblings, memes, misty-eyed eulogies, and on and on. Seriously, even if you you read this entire thread, go back and give it another whirl, normally you have to pay extra for this kind of content.
    Godspeed you misty-eyed middle-aged conspiracy theorists who alongside loving pinball also apparently are socio-political experts on how the rise, fall, second rise and second fall of Kaneda somehow matters. Godspeed.

If you like this thread and want more to read, visit this thread -> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/k-man-rip#post-5715555

#510 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

This thread is peak pinside. Soak it in boys, the comments don't get this good very often. We've got conspiracy theories, political ramblings, memes, misty-eyed eulogies, and on and on. Seriously, even if you you read this entire thread, go back and give it another whirl, normally you have to pay extra for this kind of content.
    Godspeed you misty-eyed middle-aged conspiracy theorists who alongside loving pinball also apparently are socio-political experts on how the rise, fall, second rise and second fall of Kaneda somehow matters. Godspeed.

The perfect eulogy

#511 3 years ago

Had a long chat with him today. It's true, he's taking off for a while. Not worth the hassle. Somebody was a dick and I hope they rot in hell.
    ...things are changing and people will get what they deserve. I can't even watch the news anymore....such shit. I know many people in the news media and what goes on would fry your hair!
    Anyway, it's just a hobby...how people get so bent up over this crap is amazing. (so, here's a little humor)

halloweed champ (resized).jpghalloweed champ (resized).jpg
    #512 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

He didn’t say “one” thing...he’s just a constant shit-stirrer in the hobby...and I say this as a friend & a guest on the show.
    If we wanna play “who done it”, we have to examine motives. Who’s he pissed off?
    -Stern generally hates him. He talks shit about their playfields, their BOM cost, he’s “ruined” 2 of their launches by releasing info & pics early, makes fun of Zach Sharpe, talks shit about Dwight, etc.
    -Deep Root - he recently did a story about Barry Oursler’s blackface Halloween photo, and leaked a pic of their cabinet design until he had to take it down after DR threatened him.
    -JJP - He was their guest of honor and got the Wonka VIP tour, only to turn on the game and shit on it...been talking lots of shit about Lawlor & all the JJP behind the scenes drama...teasing GnR with mini leaks.
    ...or, could it just have been some random hobbyist/listener who didn’t like something he said?

I really enjoyed listening to that podcast. Hearing your STNG custom call outs was awesome. Your opinions were spot on.

#513 3 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

To me it’s pretty simple. He works for a marketing company and has been making it his mission in life to ruin the marketing program of Stern in his off hours. I can completely see where a marketing company would have an issue with one of their employees doing that.

Yup, anyone in any industry is going to critique something a little more harshly, if that's their profession. Difference is Kaneda has a pulpit to do it from.
    To bad he couldn't leave that at the door, if that was the issue. Enjoyed it while it lasted.

#514 3 years ago

I like chocolate

#515 3 years ago

I just want to say that I never believed that Kaneda changed his opinion on Wonka from instant CE purchase to no purchase based on missing audio clips. He clearly got caught up in the special treatment he was given by JJP, then when it sunk in that he had committed $12,500 to a game he didn't really care about and would have to wait months and months for the CEs to ship, he made up lame excuses to back out. I've never known someone to change their mind as quickly, frequently, and easily as he does. He even raved about the newest star wars movie before criticizing it like a week later. The guy is kind of fascinating in that way. He has no idea what he likes or wants, but he certainly thinks he does.

#516 3 years ago

It looks like his Facebook page has been closed and at least 200 or so of his podcasts (approx the last 2 years worth) have been removed.

He made great content. I hope kaneda is doing ok

#517 3 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Anyone who thinks Kaneda is gone is dreaming.

Well if you think he is coming back then he definitely is not. Because you have basically been wrong on every post you have ever made on Pinside.

#518 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I just want to say that I never believed that Kaneda changed his opinion on Wonka ... he made up lame excuses to back out.

I thought the same thing at first. "What a friggin' seesaw!" I too was very excited to play Wonka after hearing all the hype and seeing the playfield. It really was a dream theme for some including me. Then I flipped it. Something definitely went wrong because I felt nothing, and I'm not the only one who felt this way.

I'm hoping GNR gets JJP back on track as K believes.

#519 3 years ago

Every single podcast has been removed even though he said they would be around forever to enjoy. Now there is a facebook group you can join. I'm calling it out JEDI MIND TRICKS!

#520 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I've never known someone to change their mind as quickly, frequently, and easily as he does. He even raved about the newest star wars movie before criticizing it like a week later. The guy is kind of fascinating in that way. He has no idea what he likes or wants, but he certainly thinks he does.

Kinda true. Goes from dimpling is the worst thing ever, to okay even Spooky games dimple, and it's not a big deal, to just enjoy your game and don't worry about imperfections. Prior to unboxing a new game, he's like pins are so expensive that they should come perfectly setup from the factory. You shouldn't have to tweak a $9000 game. After he unboxes a new game and spends two weeks setting up his R&M, no complaints whatsoever, and he admits it's normal to dial in a new game, and even says that it's kinda fun.

But that's okay, he's human like the rest of us. Some of us just don't waffle quite so much, and don't waffle quite so publicly. But I don't hate on him for it. It's just entertaining to watch.

#521 3 years ago

somebody must want that twippy bad!

#522 3 years ago

wondering who would benefit from doing such a act?

#523 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

wondering who would benefit from doing such a act?

Macho Man!!! lol

#524 3 years ago

Quoted from Scandell:

1. “this or that”
    2. Reviews
    Rinse and repeat
    Your status as the loveable know-it-all pinball nerd is your best sales tactic. No more “UV kit installs”. No more topper adverts.
    I’m a huge fan of the show. I’ve watched every episode twice.

Don't worry he is reading all of this for sure, but will it matter as he is on the other side of the fence now as a distro and using media to drive sales. That's the part, where as many have said before that you can no longer be objective so as a pinball enthusiast you have to step back and see it for what it is. The whole TPN thing is a sales pitch with nary a negative comment on any of the manufactures games and just Buy, Buy, Buy

#525 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

No kidding.
    My 4yr old told me this a few days ago when I said go brush your teeth...

He was just testing the setting on your tilt bob

#526 3 years ago
    Quoted from Stuieb84:

His Facebook post does say "accused me of something horrible that was unfounded.

They accused him of owning a Homepin Thunderbirds

#527 3 years ago

I sometimes smell my own farts

#528 3 years ago

All episodes have been removed? I was actually gonna go back and listen to them all as only started on like 400 or so.

#529 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

All episodes have been removed? I was actually gonna go back and listen to them all as only started on like 400 or so.

Just checked and all removed. Bummer as I have only listened to 20 or so episodes...

#530 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

somebody must want that twippy bad!

I still think he’ll win the next Twippy.

#531 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Just checked and all removed. Bummer as I have only listened to 20 or so episodes...

Looks like the Facebook page has disappeared too.

https://www.facebook.com/KanedaPinballPodcast/

#532 3 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Somebody was a dick and I hope they rot in hell.
    ...things are changing and people will get what they deserve.

Pot, Kettle.

I like how you ignore that Chris contacted Aurich’s employer, or harassed Hilton for weeks.

So really, he got what he deserved.

#533 3 years ago
    Quoted from stooped:

Thanks to Robin for allowing this thread to even happen. Time for more popcorn.

In before the lock

#534 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Pot, Kettle.
    I like how you ignore that Chris contacted Aurich’s employer, or harassed Hilton for weeks.
    So really, he got what he deserved.

I was honestly thinking the exact same thing. You can't get mad when someone else is a dick to him when he's made an entire pinball "career" out of doing that very same thing.

#535 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Don't worry he is reading all of this for sure, but will it matter as he is on the other side of the fence now as a distro and using media to drive sales. That's the part, where as many have said before that you can no longer be objective so as a pinball enthusiast you have to step back and see it for what it is. The whole TPN thing is a sales pitch with nary a negative comment on any of the manufactures games and just Buy, Buy, Buy

Seems like a great place to discuss all things Kaneda and reflecting on his work over the years, but I don’t understand why I continue being brought up, seems off topic. While his actions at times in the hobby were similar to what he’s now experiencing, I still don’t agree with someone contacting his employer. I’ve experienced similar shit this year because of pinball and it’s the worst to have to deal with. He and I agreed on a lot, disagreed even more, but I always listened to his show. He is entertaining and I respect that and the work he did in pinball when he wasn’t personally attacking people. I will miss our back-and-forth, but he will likely be back in some capacity. I don’t think his personality allows for total removal, so fear not SDTM and Flip N Out haters I still appreciate the listens and views.

#536 3 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Anyway, it's just a hobby...how people get so bent up over this crap is amazing. (so, here's a little humor)
    [quoted image]

Damn spfxted , that's terrible! I'm a sick sob, for laughing to the point of tears.

#537 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Seems like a great place to discuss all things Kaneda and reflecting on his work over the years, but I don’t understand why I continue being brought up, seems off topic. While his actions at times in the hobby were similar to what he’s now experiencing, I still don’t agree with someone contacting his employer. I’ve experienced similar shit this year because of pinball and it’s the worst to have to deal with. He and I agreed on a lot, disagreed even more, but I always listened to his show. He is entertaining and I respect that and the work he did in pinball when he wasn’t personally attacking people. I will miss our back-and-forth, but he will likely be back in some capacity. I don’t think his personality allows for total removal, so fear not SDTM and Flip N Out haters I still appreciate the listens and views.

Good question. I guess a lot of the community is reflecting on what makes good pinball media due to Kanada’s fizzle out. We want pinball shows to succeed. And I personally thought your show was a good example of a healthy, respectful dialog that captured the “this is why pinball is fun and worth it” vibe. You also gave me the feeling of having two pinball buds. Which I don’t have cause I’m new to the hobby.
    But now it’s like my buds are trying to sell me on their essential oils business.

Per usual, others will pile on my feedback with their pissy moods... love you and Greg.

#538 3 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I still think he’ll win the next Twippy.

He’ll probably win the twipy the following year too without doing a single podcast unless others step up their game.

#539 3 years ago

Been listening to the Super Awesome Pinball Show recently, it's really good for those seeking an alternative. Very high production quality, the hosts have good chemistry and it's funny.

https://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/

#540 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

What - wait , you make enjoyable pinball content to subconsciously make us buy products you sell .
    You evil mastermind !

IMG_20200627_234652 (resized).jpgIMG_20200627_234652 (resized).jpg
    #541 3 years ago

I have a feeling the people in the Kaneda thread that are saying, “I never listened to a single episode” or “I know nothing about him” are the same people that cried,”You can’t have a pinball podcast if you don’t even own a pinball machine”

#542 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

"As in life, so in death." When Kaneda was on-the-air, he often couldn't help himself from talking about Zach Meny and TPN. So it only makes sense that a discussion about his departure from pinball media would also heavily feature the two. Sorta poetic!

#543 3 years ago

I just watched the podcast. This was the first podcast I had seen. Or heard.

It is unfortunate that someone was able to personally attack him. That is what I consider this. An attack on a lot of things. Starting with Kaneda. Freedom of speech comes to mind...

There is a lot to unpack here. I hope Kaneda is ok. It really makes me wonder who contacted his employer. It's like a terrorist tactic.

#544 3 years ago
    Quoted from estrader:

He’ll probably win the twipy the following year too without doing a single podcast unless others step up their game.

Not that I think anyone else really stands a chance but if another podcast does win without Kaneda in the mix, consider it a runner up trophy.

#545 3 years ago

I don’t agree with someone contacting his employer but let’s get real, this isn’t a freedom of speech issue. Freedom of speech, at least in the US, means the government can’t restrict speech and even some kinds of speech have been determined to not be protected by the Supreme Court (like speech that incites lawlessness).

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. If you have a podcast that is being publicly consumed what you say can have consequences. Your employer may decide that they don’t feel that your podcast is in their companies best interest and ask that you stop podcasting or risk losing your job. That appears to be what happened here.

#546 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scandell:

Good question. I guess a lot of the community is reflecting on what makes good pinball media due to Kanada’s fizzle out. We want pinball shows to succeed. And I personally thought your show was a good example of a healthy, respectful dialog that captured the “this is why pinball is fun and worth it” vibe. You also gave me the feeling of having two pinball buds. Which I don’t have cause I’m new to the hobby.
    But now it’s like my buds are trying to sell me on their essential oils business.
    Per usual, others will pile on my feedback with their pissy moods... love you and Greg.

Well said!! - I love the oil essentials comparison - kind of like this topper is the best thing since sliced bread - buy, buy, buy!!

We are not hating on anyone it's just a lot of us used to wait faithfully for the next SDTM episode and always liked the way the guys got along and the banter back and forth. That all changed when $$ became the objective as a distro. There is nothing wrong with being on that side of the fence but you can't play both sides. As you said in your post we are looking for someone to fill the void left by Kaneda so thus some of the comparison.

TPN appears as a bunch of groupies for the manufacturers!! All the varying points of view that were present before the amalgamation into that entity have been snuffed out except for maybe Cary Hardy. Good marketing for sure on Flip N Out's part so kudo's for being savvy that way. Let's not get sold any of the snake oil that is being pushed on behalf of, for the most part Stern by these guys. I also understand that putting yourself out there in a podcast is not the easiest thing to do, but that is a choice you all make. We hope you hear our voices of concern, put forth a better more objective product or decide to step back to let other non-invested guys take the reigns and run with things.

#547 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Well said!! - I love the oil essentials comparison - kind of like this topper is the best thing since sliced bread - buy, buy, buy!!
    We are not hating on anyone it's just a lot of us used to wait faithfully for the next SDTM episode and always liked the way the guys got along and the banter back and forth. That all changed when $$ became the objective as a distro. There is nothing wrong with being on that side of the fence but you can't play both sides. As you said in your post we are looking for someone to fill the void left by Kaneda so thus some of the comparison.
    TPN appears as a bunch of groupies for the manufacturers!! All the varying points of view that were present before the amalgamation into that entity have been snuffed out except for maybe Cary Hardy. Good marketing for sure on Flip N Out's part so kudo's for being savvy that way. Let's not get sold any of the snake oil that is being pushed on behalf of, for the most part Stern by these guys. I also understand that putting yourself out there in a podcast is not the easiest thing to do, but that is a choice you all make. We hope you hear our voices of concern, put forth a better more objective product or decide to step back to let other non-invested guys take the reigns and run with things.

I don’t plan on going anywhere I always giggle when I hear about objectivity with the “non-invested guys”...if you only knew. Happy to hear K-Man when he returns or any other media person. Speaking of....maybe there will be a new TPN podcast very soon with a familiar voice that people loved in the past. Stay Tuned...

#548 3 years ago

I only listened to a few episodes. He couldn’t stop talking about what everyone on pinside was saying about him. Annoying, in my opinion. I’m sure he is loving this thread.

Who is to say he didn’t make this whole thing up. If he did the same thing to someone already, why should we care if it happened to him?

#549 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Dang. I had started archiving manually but paused as I decided to try to automate the process whether through a tool or script. Anyone else able to make a complete archive?

#550 3 years ago

Ahhhh Kaneda, when he started the pinball podcasts offerings were pretty bland, so naturally he stood out, but weather you like him or not he highlighted a lot of problems with the business and for the most part the manufacturers did listen. So he was an a-hole advocate of sorts. It's ironic that the company that profited the most from his ideas is the one that took him down.

There are 1,029 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 21.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-podcast-dead/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.