Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,303 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lopa
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Kaneda is back! 501 airing now”

• I for one am glad it's back on the air! 242 votes
      59%
    • I can't stand the dude so I won't listen 144 votes
      35%
    • I am a bit of a cry babby so would like to ruin it for all others who enjoy it! 23 votes
      6%

(409 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 8.11.00 PM (resized).png
    30895E3E-6DBA-47BC-8AC8-62364AB43A50.jpeg
    D58901C1-DD40-40D3-9EE3-3BA46C9CD0F8.jpeg
    0FC26130-112B-42C0-97A9-6B2A06409B34 (resized).jpeg
    DC1C7810-F36D-425E-9425-A154C88B456B.gif
    JA.gif
    IMG_20211228_044443 (resized).jpg
    CCNNYkURGpQuk9kiUnJZj5-1024-80 (resized).jpg
    F518830E-401B-451C-92BB-80D345B1FA19 (resized).jpeg
    D470D117-B210-45AC-A7DF-A40399C3CABC (resized).jpeg
    8277A8E0-2C87-42AB-AA48-CF00E76D0000 (resized).jpeg
    5f6tm7 (resized).jpg
    0E399C60-2A60-4DD8-A257-2E6B5DBEBDE3.jpeg
    6E007445-3C87-4F99-ACFB-40DEB8FFBA2A (resized).jpeg
    clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif
    k (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thepinballco-op.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#457 2 years ago

Kaneda is at his best when he's assessing anything related to marketing, which I believe is his profession, right? When he talks about what these pinball companies should do or what they did wrong in terms of advertising their product or giving public statements, nobody is better than Kaneda. He's damn good and it shows.

When it comes to analyzing pinball machines, I don't really love his opinions as much. He doesn't really come across as much of a player imo. Iron Maiden is awesome. High Speed II is super fun. Black Knight is one of my favorites of all time. Joker Poker never gets old and I play it every chance I get (twice a week). GnR is an amazing world under glass, but it's no where near my top 10. It's on the second hand market a lot, and every time I DM these guys, I get the same reasoning over and over: "Too redundant, too many multiballs, not as satisfying to play", etc. Nah, I'm not interested.

The downside is when he targets people and generalizes pinball players. That's when he gets the backlash and that's what's happening here again. He also keeps promoting himself a little too much, and that's not a likable trait. If you really are the best, you don't need to keep saying it. It made me quit listening to the show for nearly a year.

I love the show again though. I'm going to keep listening to it. There's no fluff, he gets right down to business, it's entertaining, it's thought-provoking, and he does it solo which is flat-out amazing. He's the best and his show is the best (going by awards and total listeners). Even people who hate him can't help but talk about him. That's a whole new level of popularity.

I hope he keeps it up and I hope he improves his brand over time. I hope he can accept the criticisms and work towards perfecting himself rather than attacking others. If a pinside or FB user is too loud or obnoxious, block them and move on. It's usually just a handful that make everything seem worse than it is.

====================

EDIT: I wrote all this before I read about the doxing... wow. That's utter bullshit. That's crossing the line and then some. This is worse than making a shoddy playfield.

1 month later
    #865 2 years ago

I really like the podcast. It's very hard to do one solo but Kaneda makes it look easy. It's in the 30-40 minute range which is perfect, and there's no useless banter like there is with anyone who does a 2+ person podcast. Kaneda is talking to ME when I listen. Whenever I listen to a podcast done by someone else with 2+ hosts, I feel like I'm eavesdropping rather than being a part of the conversation like with Kaneda's cast.

There are critiques I'd give Kaneda. One is that he uses a lot of absolutes. "Always", "everyone", "we all", etc. That kind of stuff should be reserved for moments when necessary.

In one podcast not too long ago he said "you're all stupid if" and I was in that group he was talking about. Not only was that an absolute, and on an opinion that I disagreed with, but it was also an insult to some of the listeners. In his last podcast he just said something about how making fun of people isn't the right direction to go, but he literally did that a few podcasts ago. That's one example of how his hypocrisy is higher than most.

He's the best at what he does because he literally works in the field (marketing, right?) so I find his opinions on those matters to be very valuable. I love his critique of the companies and his opinions and thoughts on what they should do to promote their games and sell their products, etc. That's why I listen and why I might be a patreon supporter someday.

I don't really care about the rumors so much. They are just that. It's fun to talk and discuss them, but it's not why I listen.

It's the best podcast and you can't really deny it. Four twippy's I think? Tons of listeners and Patreons -- more than anyone else anyway -- and there's this HUUUUGE Pinside thread dedicated to him, love or hate, and you all keep reading and responding to it. If he was absolute garbage, it wouldn't be worth your attention, right?

He's the best and he has room for improvement. I hope he keeps working towards getting better at what he's already the best at. So much room for growth! Do it Kaneda, do it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thepinballco-op.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-is-back-501-airing-now?tu=thepinballco-op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.