Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,303 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lopa
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Kaneda is back! 501 airing now”

• I for one am glad it's back on the air! 242 votes
      59%
    • I can't stand the dude so I won't listen 144 votes
      35%
    • I am a bit of a cry babby so would like to ruin it for all others who enjoy it! 23 votes
      6%

(409 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 8.11.00 PM (resized).png
    30895E3E-6DBA-47BC-8AC8-62364AB43A50.jpeg
    D58901C1-DD40-40D3-9EE3-3BA46C9CD0F8.jpeg
    0FC26130-112B-42C0-97A9-6B2A06409B34 (resized).jpeg
    DC1C7810-F36D-425E-9425-A154C88B456B.gif
    JA.gif
    IMG_20211228_044443 (resized).jpg
    CCNNYkURGpQuk9kiUnJZj5-1024-80 (resized).jpg
    F518830E-401B-451C-92BB-80D345B1FA19 (resized).jpeg
    D470D117-B210-45AC-A7DF-A40399C3CABC (resized).jpeg
    8277A8E0-2C87-42AB-AA48-CF00E76D0000 (resized).jpeg
    5f6tm7 (resized).jpg
    0E399C60-2A60-4DD8-A257-2E6B5DBEBDE3.jpeg
    6E007445-3C87-4F99-ACFB-40DEB8FFBA2A (resized).jpeg
    clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif
    k (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

He’s good to hear about the rumors and has some good takes here and there. But overall imo his opinions are often wrong at least to my thinking. I think about game code and how well a pin plays and even if it evolves into something great such as any number of pins TWD etc.
    Chris is far more concerned about if something released on a specific date or who is the name on the code or art not bothering to look at the code just who the name is attached to the code is all he cares about.
    He doesn’t like Dwight for whatever reason he just will lump every game Dwight does as a missed opportunity. But imo Dwight is one of the better coders.
    Chris should say he doesn’t like Dwight code or he doesn’t understand what nuances and strategy can be brought out with different lead coders.
    He doesn’t like Steve Ritchie, Lawlor and Borg and thinks only the two new guys Keith and Eric can make great games. It’s so much over saturated with his petty opinions not really understanding that other designers and code guys know what they’re doing.
    He got all amped up about Wonka like he was going to have a happy ending with it. I thought nothing can be as great as he thinks Wonka is. Next thing you know Wonka is garbage.
    So when he’s saying GnR is so great that just makes me think there’s a 50:50 chance it’ll be great and 50:50 chance it’ll suck.

In short... he feeds on hype and criticism... He’s a horrible source for anything actually about the game itself.

Over and over he proves how his inability to interpret how a game plays or what makes it stand out or not. Some people may call this “changing his opinion...”... but its really his forecasting and interpretation simply being wrong. The difference is he doesn’t just have a take... he goes on how the company or people were WRONG or makes statements about how others will move. He doesn’t actually get the game and business fundamentals, yet he pontificates and trashes those that aren’t doing what hipe believes is right... Yet, he’s proved wrong time and time again.

Yet, you’ll be sure to hear for the 100th time how he has offered his services... yet people don’t take him up... fascinating...

It is depressing to see so many parroting his talking points... because they think sounds great or they think it echos their thoughts.

2 months later
    #238 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m like dude if you don’t know what a word means don’t use it.

It's what posers do... so it is all part of the package

3 months later
    #275 3 years ago
    Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Kaneda is the truth teller to the powerful. Someone who will not stand for subpar standards and execution. Look at the changes to the play fields in the past 18 months, with even JJP recognizing thenprofblem. Now, Mirco is installing posts in previously untouched and unharmed real estate.
    In terms of his opinions, Chris is someone who has the pulse of the community. He knows what we think, and his goal is to push the community and hobby forward. Often to the detriment of his own ratings. He really tries to focus on the consumer, and does at time get bogged down in the quagmire.
    I for one am glad he’s back. There may be obeyed leaders, but he is someone with the will and and desire to effectuate change. No am glad he’s here, and he is in the proper role. Chris Kaneda, 6/28/21.

I feel really bad for people that don't have enough good pinball people around them to fall into this delusion of reality.

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I don't care about the psychological well being of any actors, singers or entertainers...why should I care about a podcaster?

For the same reason if you read a history book - you'd expect the content to be well researched. Or if you listened/read a movie critic, you'd expect them to have some basis or credibility for their analysis and critique. Or that someone who uses citations to build their argument, you'd expect them to actually use VALID ones.

It's called credibility

But if you just want to be entertained while rotting your brain... just go find some alt-news channel.

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

His main deal is marketing and the business side of pinball. Right or wrong, he has interesting opinions and his podcasts are typically entertaining as well as informational.

So two things he's never actually participated in. Seems legit..

#290 3 years ago

Don't confuse entertainment with REALITY

That's the problem.. people can't seem to separate fiction from reality.

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

His professional job is marketing.

Marketing Pinball?
    Marketing commercial vending?

Does he have any experience running the actual product business or bringing products to fruition? No

His career is marketing campaigns for other people's products. AKA coming up with the impactful ad campaign to drive interest and eyeballs. Not the business of picking the product, nor owning the business decisions of the company/product.

His role is to come up with the commercial/gimmick to sell/promote your idea/product/brand.

Literally his job is to just make people talk about you. Which is what he does in his hobbies and no matter how unqualified, how wrong, how hateful, how ignorant of the topics he pontificates on... some of you can't get enough because you "just want to be entertained"

Ads are meant to generate buzz... or generate awareness. Not be the source of truth.

#303 3 years ago

given how man newbloods always flock to him I doubt he resorts to cheating. I mean the total counts we are talking here are a few hundred... not needing millions.

#378 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

And second, I want my game to make people feel good when they play it,

Theme confirmed

2 months later
    #431 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

More than that, it can be entertaining listening to him come up with new ways of contradicting himself. It's amazing how much he'll hype a game and tell everyone to buy it before anyone even sees it, and then bemoan all the people buying games sight unseen. He hyped Rick and Morty endlessly until he sold his for a profit, and now he complains about how clunky it is.

Yup - because he's all hype and no actual substance. The guy doesn't know what actually makes great pinball. Which is why he's such a horrible assessor of games from pre-release stuff before other people actually play the games and flush it out. His constant 'you should consult with me...' nonsense is so comically bad. Yet people continually turn to his opinion as if it's some bellweather or insight. He's a complete bullshitter.

#440 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I guess doxxing is only okay if you aren't the target. Didn't someone go after him and his job last summer, and supposedly his job got involved?

The thing is... there is nothing to Dox. I'm not 'hiding behind a keyboard' or other non-sense... my name to my handle is all over the web and has been for decades. It's right on my tiltforum's profile (there was no name field on pinside last I looked). It's also the VERY FIRST GOOGLE HIT on the name. It just goes to show yet again how little he actually knows about the topics he pontificates about. He's all mouth, no experience.

The sad thing about that previous contact with his employer, etc is obviously he lost the real takeaway from that. I'm sure the boss didn't care about his pinball adventures, but probably cared about his BEHAVIOR. Stuff like an individual having drunken rage/hate fests streaming on facebook, or attacking individuals and businesses online, etc.. and not them not wanting to be associated with 'that guy'. Guess he missed the point about it being BEHAVIOR and how it impacts his reputation.

As soon as someone pointed out the post to me... I knew he'd delete it..
    Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 1.02.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 1.02.06 PM (resized).png

And sure enough, this morning.. it's gone.

#441 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

He should make a post saying that he fucked up and shouldnt be doing things like this. He always portrays on his show that he doesnt care about things that are said about him online, but clearly that isnt the case.

First time caller I see?

The leopard can't change his spots.. and it's why he's so predictable. He'll make some statement about how it's not all about the drama, he won't do it again, it was a mistake, etc. It's all rubbish... and he'll be right back up on the horse in no time. He contradicts himself so much it's not even amusing to point it out.. it's just sad.

He's the type that kisses rear left and right or goes out of his way to connect with people to try to build a group of people that 'like' him or be buddy buddy with him... so when he goes off the rails he has a safety net of people that will stick up for them and say good things about him.

It's really sad so much of this is so old now that the new people coming along don't have a summarized history of it all to see it in context. But "its entertaining!" as they say...

#443 2 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

So out yourself and make $50 like Kaneda said in the post?!

I did 'out' myself - but he deleted the whole thread afterwards so you'll just have to go on the word of 'haters' and swine...

And no I didn't get $50... besides he would need to pony up a lot more than $50 to make me jump.

#451 2 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

You are not alone, I don't know how I didn't see it was from Tron until now.

giphy (17).gifgiphy (17).gif

#454 2 years ago

I am more amazed you all are more concerned over the fears of doxxing - and not the point the guy couldn't figure out how to type 'flynnibus' into a google search bar - or look at profiles on pinball websites.

#492 2 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

Am I the only one that is astonished, that Kaneda has spent at least a few hours on this “Who is Flynnibus?” question…Facebook threads, two 20-30 minute live Facebook videos and whatever amount of stewing on his own time, when a simple google search using “Feeling lucky?” Gets you the answer.
    Then think to yourself.. this is a guy that so many people turn to for “insights” into pinball but can’t use even the most simplest use case for a search engine?

That and he owes me $50!!

#498 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is it a New York thing? I’ve been to multiple NFL games where the Bengals played the Giants in NY, and every time, trash talking fans make fun of us for obviously not working out as much as them.

Not familiar?

77652c5b86b907975cd156e70ffca787 (resized).png77652c5b86b907975cd156e70ffca787 (resized).png

Kaneda isn't a beef head... but he's aggressive metro...

#512 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dan1733:

Not sure how mocking and ad hominem attacks advance this dialogue....

Are you sure you know what that means? Nothing ad hominem at all there. My comment is about directly about him and his behavior - with purpose. The discussion WAS people talking about the very photo, and I was talking directly about Chris' presentation and attitude. It literally is the topic...

of course he brings it on himself when he tries to insult other's health or living. Par for the course for him, talking before thinking or knowing something.

#514 2 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

We may not like everything Kaneda does and some of it is down right not cool BUT he does have his redeeming qualities when it comes to voice of the people against some of the sketchy practices of the manufacturers with trying to supply a substandard product.

Why do you buy into this narrative? Because he repeats it so much?

The world is not a handful of podcasters and what they cover or not... Just because some of his favorite targets don't cover the topic, doesn't mean he is the sole champion of the topic. This is just more talking head non-sense where people repeat it enough until others start to believe it.

#517 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Unbeknownst to me, that's how most episodes are. It gets tiresome quick

Don't worry, apparently you have to pay for that pleasure now!

You know... paying for his content... something he said he doesn't support or need... until... he changes his mind and does exactly what he chastised before.

#544 2 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

There is no narrative with the playfield issues as it's been well documented.
    The thing is Kaneda is the only one that is seriously putting it out there and trying to hold the manufacturers feet to the fire and get resolution.

No, that is the narrative I'm talking about. That 'Kaneda is the only one...' -- this is completely non-sense. Where is Kaneda getting most of his fodder for this campaign? Oh yeah... Pinside threads. The world is not just a handful of podcasters. So complaining that SDTM or some other handful of shows don't cover it, so that makes Kaneda the sole champion of this cause is delusional thinking. But it's a narrative he keeps pumping (and this is not the first topic... its yet another predictable pattern of his) and then people like you parrot it along.

#545 2 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

It IS a disservice when you have certain people acting as the head cheerleaders for some of these companies to make bank and or stay in good with them.

Dude... stop listening to so many podcasts and actually go outside and see real people. The podcast tit-for-tat world is not real world - its just an echo-chamber of a small group of people.

#546 2 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

He won't return it for the same reasons most CE owners won't return the game:
    1. He knows that the market value $5-9K more that what he'll get from JJP
    2. Hard to replace the game
    3. At some point JJP will either replace or allow owners to purchase a new play field

There are many potential outcomes that would hold up legally that wouldn't result in those owners getting 'market value'. For example, JJP could offer cash compensation, or a future discount, or buy-backs.

Truth is, he doesn't want to give up the appreciation and is willing to hold out. Just like he's flipped so many other games before. He's the biggest hype monster around.... because it suits his personal interests as well.

#547 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

LOL! No shit! I always saw his avatar as a gay pirate. Had no idea what the photo was. It’s a Tron fella?

For your viewing pleasure...

PicMorph.gifPicMorph.gif

I think Kaneda actually looks a bit like Bruce Boxleitner here when you blow it up...

#549 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I guess some people never watched Tron enough as a kid

I know right..

I'll have you know that my avatar's jpeg was captured lovingly from VHS to a jpeg video capture card back in about 1996... old school!

#554 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballj:

LOL, that is awesome! ATI All In Wonder ftw?

Nah, it was commercial video gear at the time. I forget the make, it didn't do anything but digitize NTSC video. But I spent hours after work using it and the nice commercial sony vhs deck to screen grab many of my favorite iconic shots in the film.

#555 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I always thought it was Jack Sparrow for the win!!

The plot thickens....

kaneda2.gifkaneda2.gif

#565 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I have to admit I had no idea what doxxing was. But if the information is readily available on the internet,how is it doxxing?

It’s the thought that counts

Failing when it’s in plain sight is just the icing on the cake.

#567 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Well shiver me timbers! Add me to the list of people who thought Flynni’s avatar was Jack sparrow (for the last 8 years). When I zoomed in on the pic it sort of spun me out for a second. Well hey at least something positive came out of this shit show.

Find me a photo of jack sparrow wearing a blue and grey hat… you so crazy

1 week later
    #645 2 years ago
    Quoted from dts:

My Lebowski and Alien playfields by Mirco have been excellent, but that predates the new digital printer he has been using for a few years.

I don't think so - early on Mirco was mum on his process, but CPR was basically pointing out it had to be digital print. I think this goes all the way back to WoZ era.

#657 2 years ago
    Quoted from dts:

I'm thinking maybe the newer printer doesn't adhere ink as well to the wood as the previous generation, or some other step in the process changed. Is CGC the only company that still uses silkscreen?

Mirco has the ability to do both - but has always done digital prints to my knowledge (he uses silkscreening for his effects, etc). CGC obviously has the historical screen printing but they are not the only other large scale shop in the business. https://www.buthamburg.de/en/playfields in Germany also does screenprint fields.

Has something else changed... this is the $1,000,000 question isn't it? And that's the part only real insiders know... why the failures now and so consistently. Especially since everyone has their own steps, products, etc.. its hard to draw straight line comparisons. We can only judge the output...

#709 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

They struggled to sell pirate's?! c'mon man!

It was a slow seller beyond the die hards. Which is why LE/CEs sold.. but not so much standards. Only after JJP announced they were not making more did interest really start to peak.

1 week later
    #802 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Theres no reason not to monetize your podcast. If monetizing your podcast seems weird you're probably just a boomer.

Unless you are the type to chastise and ridicule your peers for trying to monetize... and then turn around and do it yourself.

6 months later
    #1056 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Todays episode was a joke. And he perpetuates the lie that he was banished from Pinside for wanting to tell the truth. That’s obviously revisionism for his newb patrons. I find it highly offensive as do many others I’m sure.

It's why he'll live on like a cockroach... always new people that will come along and not believe the stories and be naive... I mean you just had a poster a page ago admit he didn't know the tale, but bought into ribbing Rarehero because it's the narrative. People are gullible and innocent enough to listen to this believable crap.

Make him publish the episode where he read his emails he sent to Robin that really lead to him making the guy who would give anyone a lifetime a chances to immediately banish him for good.

#PublishTheEpisode

People talk about people 'maturing'.. Maturing? The guy is like 40yrs old, when does one expect him to start maturing and change?

Same schtick over and over.. eventually some tire of it, but there always seems to be fresh meat to get suckered in.

#1063 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Evil twin? Crazy Levi throwing Special-K out after physically assaulting someone? Extremely personal bullying memes? Machine scamming? Robin Death threats? Pinside behavior? (I knew some of that but only a little, mainly before my time)

There’s more too, but I can’t keep it all straight. The dude needs a Wiki dedicated to his shit. It would be nice if someone could write a factual, chronological timeline of controversies and drama. I didn’t realize so many people here knew Chris personally. Pinball is so much more personal and tight-knit than I thought, and even then still knew it was really tight!

many act like this is some random anonymous internet thing - It's not. Many of us hang out, get together at events, buy/sell from each other, or mingle in many different ways

Chris was the type that goes out of his way to try to be friends with ANYONE, so that when he gets caught being a douche, he has lots of people there to stand up for him. You know the type that you just met 3mins before, and he's begging you to come over to his house and be buddy buddy? Yeah.. that was him as he got into the hobby. And it's not because he's just friendly - there was motive.

The guy would act like he's the hotness, and would try to burn and bury anyone who dared called out his shenaggians. The Fix it Felix deal was classic trying to bully a little kid he ripped off, and only abdicated when he was encircled.. and STILL jerked the kid around for months. Total sleaze.

The pinside drama was the cutest because he talks about being a martyr all the time when he was the one verbally attacking everyone and then whitewashing history with his deletion of things when it didn't go the way he wanted. He retreated to a podcast because he could finally talk without the burden of truth of correction interrupting his stream of consciousness. In his world he could spin whatever reality he wanted. And when things go wrong, you just delete history and pretend it didn't happen. Repeat your revisionist stories long enough and the greenhorns will take it and run because they don't know any better.

The stuff he sent robin and the mods was so vile, so disgusting, so hateful, and so angry he deserves every ounce of distaste people have for him. Because as a PERSON he was a horrible person after MANY second chances.

No one should give him a dime until he republishes his real rant episodes - including the one where he read his emails to robin and the mods.

#1108 2 years ago

So fitting... I was waiting for the 'but he's entertaining' defenders...

#1146 2 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

But he's the only podcast that doesn't seem to be driven by industry financial backers or friends in the industry.

Just more of his bullshit narrative.

#1248 2 years ago

Man… if you thought 4 madeup awards made him feel important… wait till he gets a few grand a month in donations. He’ll be like jafar at the end of alladdin.

Once they go on the teet… they can never look back. And when it’s not enough, the weak start berating their listeners for not giving enough.

This shit is like clockwork

#1255 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

he's not afraid to speak his mind.

His mind? Which one? Because he contradicts himself every few hours i’m not sure which you feel is genuine.

#1289 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Sounds like the pinball podcast equivalent of radio Bob and Tom (and they're pretty much unlistenable)
    Maybe the pinballnews or pinball magazine guys could start a podcast. It seems like they're strong demand for quality, non-assholery content

Lol their podcasts pretty much are the example why people follow kaneda. They are dry, insufferably long, and stale news.

The sad part is the people “seeking entertainment” turn off their brains and morals to be entertained.

Publish the emails!

#1290 2 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

Once he publishes something online, it’s fair game.

That’s not how it works at all

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-is-back-501-airing-now?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.