Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,303 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lopa
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Kaneda is back! 501 airing now”

• I for one am glad it's back on the air! 242 votes
      59%
    • I can't stand the dude so I won't listen 144 votes
      35%
    • I am a bit of a cry babby so would like to ruin it for all others who enjoy it! 23 votes
      6%

(409 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 8.11.00 PM (resized).png
    30895E3E-6DBA-47BC-8AC8-62364AB43A50.jpeg
    D58901C1-DD40-40D3-9EE3-3BA46C9CD0F8.jpeg
    0FC26130-112B-42C0-97A9-6B2A06409B34 (resized).jpeg
    DC1C7810-F36D-425E-9425-A154C88B456B.gif
    JA.gif
    IMG_20211228_044443 (resized).jpg
    CCNNYkURGpQuk9kiUnJZj5-1024-80 (resized).jpg
    F518830E-401B-451C-92BB-80D345B1FA19 (resized).jpeg
    D470D117-B210-45AC-A7DF-A40399C3CABC (resized).jpeg
    8277A8E0-2C87-42AB-AA48-CF00E76D0000 (resized).jpeg
    5f6tm7 (resized).jpg
    0E399C60-2A60-4DD8-A257-2E6B5DBEBDE3.jpeg
    6E007445-3C87-4F99-ACFB-40DEB8FFBA2A (resized).jpeg
    clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif
    k (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,303 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 27.
    #351 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Yup it’s confirmed. Zpinman, Delt, and Seenev are Ice Cream Shoppe Sample Tasters...typical...

Yeah. I mean I tuned in to listen to a pinball podcast and I hear you complain endlessly about someone doing something normal because it inconvenienced you in the smallest way. It's only a matter of time before spotify knocks on your door with a $100,000,000 podcast deal.

#352 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I tuned in to listen to a pinball podcast and I hear you complain endlessly about someone doing something normal because it inconvenienced you in the smallest way.

Seems to have worked out OK for Jerry Seinfeld.

#353 3 years ago

Regardless of whether one like or dislikes a podcast, you always have the option not be be a douche by attacking the hosts personally. I guess that's the nature of forums though, people get emotional about the weirdest shit.

#354 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Yeah. I mean I tuned in to listen to a pinball podcast and I hear you complain endlessly about someone doing something normal because it inconvenienced you in the smallest way. It's only a matter of time before spotify knocks on your door with a $100,000,000 podcast deal.

#355 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Damn, I called it correctly! (Pats self on back) I love creating on our podcast and if I was chasing money I wouldn’t be doing a podcast on pinball. Plus, doing a podcast about watches with Dennis sounds like torture. The Time Is Now Podcast ughh

#356 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Tough words coming from a Twippy loser
    Not into ice cream, but we have drank the Kaneda cool aid and obviously more than just some of us like it. As the numbers dictate, Kaneda kicked the TPN's ass around the block and it wasn't even close.
    Is Kaneda perfect NO but who is. For some of us we like the entertainment and having someone who will actually hold the manufacturers accountable for what they offer up. Unlike others who do nothing but cheerlead in order to make bank

I enjoy listening to Chris sometimes...he can be entertaining. But to claim that he's somehow this ultimate unwavering force that holds manufacturers accountable is laughable. He's a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of person. If he truly wanted to hold manufacturers to account, he wouldn't have bought RM or GNR sight-unseen when they weren't in a box... and before any manufacturing issues (e.g. playfield chipping) were known.

He does and says whatever he wants, at his own convenience.

Also, he's a terrible source for advice on what games play well. If Chris Kooluris is your guide for deciding which games to buy, then your loss. He makes grand sweeping claims about games that he has zero experience with. So, while his comments may seem unfiltered and entertaining, he's hardly a source of reliable information in that dept.

That said, he can be fun to listen to, especially when taken with a grain (actually a heap) of salt... just as Zach and Dennis can be entertaining (more so, IMO).

If you want to follow some folks that hold manufacturers to account AND seem to walk the walk they talk, check out Buffalo Pinball. Just as entertaining, they speak their mind, and have tons of great insights.

#357 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

...and if I was chasing money I wouldn’t be doing a podcast on pinball....

#358 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Maybe one day I'll finally win a TWIPY...or three...a man can dream, sigh...

We all know you have won some for your SDTM content. That is good entertainment with your partner the bone man so we can all respect that

#359 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

FWIW, love your show. It's energetic and very positive.

I'll sign that.

Only show that surpasses that positivity is the Puppet Palz (wich I nominated and that sadly didn't even end up in the Top10).

ZMeny
    There is one thing tough that I think holds TPS a bit back, wich is that all shows follow the same rules, so they're kinda... "predictable".
    You have the weekly news (wich many just read on TWIP), then you talk about them, then comes the pinball market trends etc.

This has two downsides. First is, when there is no news, there not much beef to the show (while Kaneda just makes something up his bum).
    -> Just give us more of you and Dennis and above ground pools!

Second, you can't just skip an episode that is "not for you". Like, when Kaneda goes on a 10 podcast run about pooling or anything else and two podcasts in forgets that his "facts" are assumptions he made up himself 2 episodes ago, I just don't listen. If I listen to the Final Round (wich is great) and here comes the part where they talk about competitive pinball, I can't/ won't fumble with my phone while driving.
    -> You can't and srsly won't change your show to that, but I still laugh my butt off thinking about that Hobbit Discussion you had with Dennis. Why not just make pure News show once a week (and maybe not on the same day the TWIP update hits, so you won't have the exact same news). An additional Market trends episode once a week. And maybe an additional smacktalk episode now and then.

#360 3 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Regardless of whether one like or dislikes a podcast, you always have the option not be be a douche by attacking the hosts personally. I guess that's the nature of forums though, people get emotional about the weirdest shit.

This 100%

#361 3 years ago

I like Chris's show. (I also liked SAP, Cary Hardy's youtube, Travis Murie's youtube, and will occasionally listen to Zach and Dennis. They all have their pros and cons, and represent a few different view points on the hobby)

Chris's biggest asset is the energy he brings to his show. He does it when he feels fired up, and it shows in his entertaining rants that can be just as insightful as stupid. He is super excited even when he's on a diatribe. It's more entertaining than most of the typical boring middle aged white guys chit chatting about whatever. Chris knows what his lane is and sticks to it.

I can't believe some people want to doubt how obsessed he is with the companies that make pinball machines and the people who buy them. (I wouldn't be surprised if there is some overlap with his day job as I imagine a lot of his clients want to target rich middle aged white dudes). The show might have started out of spite, but he has easily spent two thousand hours recording, editing, and deleting pods the past few years. And he should be proud of winning because he does put in effort and puts himself out there.

Of course he has plenty of faults. He can hold grudges, isn't all that knowledgable about the history of the industry, and has a real vicious side that sometimes comes out when he's drinking. But he has also had great interviews and done some legit reporting re Heighway, Dutch, and some others.

#362 3 years ago

I’m still waiting for Zack To build his own pinball machine.
    Was that an honest quote or are you just blowing smoke up our ass?

#363 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

are you just blowing smoke up our ass?

There's got to be a pun in there somewhere.

#364 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

this is off topic, but since you brought it up. What did he say it should cost?

I got into homebrewing and its really changed my attitude on what a game costs to design and build and should be sold for. (not that I think Punny Factor is a very compelling offering, but I don't think it's absurdly priced)

#365 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Damn, I called it correctly! (Pats self on back) I love creating on our podcast and if I was chasing money I wouldn’t be doing a podcast on pinball. Plus, doing a podcast about watches with Dennis sounds like torture. The Time Is Now Podcast ughh

BE633BAD-A1FF-4439-8F4C-B7E1A4EFFB27 (resized).jpegBE633BAD-A1FF-4439-8F4C-B7E1A4EFFB27 (resized).jpeg
    #366 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

I will design a pinball machine at some point. I understand the complexities, the costs, and the difficulty, to some degree, but of course nowhere near the level that you do. I know it's a strong stance and yes I hammed it up a bit for entertainment purposes on the podcast, but I believe I can design a machine that is significantly better than Punny Factory. No disrespect, it's more a reference to the standards I hold for myself. I love a good challenge so putting that statement out there challenges me to create something great.

Ship me down a Punny Factory and I'll promo it and review it I love new pinball.

#367 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I never tried to listen to The Pinball Show until today. It was awful. Do all these podcast hosts have to be so insufferable? I don't understand how people enjoy this stuff. Especially the endless banter about unrelated things and the condescending attitude they all seem to have.

For the record, The Pinball Show is far from awful. Kaneda is much better BUT I want to make that very clear. I prefer it over Super pinball podcast and I appreciate anyone that gives me entertainment in any form, especially without being behind a pay wall so for that, I want to thank Zach and Dennis for that.

There is NO question there are flaws and extreme bias with a distributor leading this effort which I’ve called out since day 1 (and will continue doing so) but I will give Zach immediate respect for stepping up and offering me to cohost an upcoming podcast. We haven’t lined it up yet, but we will.

In the past I’ve called out Zach for only playing with people that kiss ass. The fact he’s reached out, he’s showing that’s not the case so from my perspective, you won’t hear that from me anymore.

Once we figure this out, tune in for sure. It will be a fun one. Cheers.

#368 3 years ago

Challenge accepted !
    All of our contractors and manufacturers are at your disposal.
    You design something send me the files and I will cut you a white board.
    Send me the art and I will print it onto the playfield.
    Mock up the plastics and I will print and cut them for you.
    I can help you get the dream machine that you design and help you show it to the world.

#369 3 years ago

Well here it is right here folks - DREAM MACHINE TIME!

I’d like to see this challenge accepted on both sides

Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Challenge accepted !
    I can help you get the dream machine that you design and help you show it to the world.

#370 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Challenge accepted !

I'm loving the sound of this. Much respect to this gesture and acceptance of the challenge!

#371 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I'm loving the sound of this. Much respect to this gesture and acceptance of the challenge!

hoping the dream theme isn’t Taming of the Kriesel. That one could get a bit messy.

#372 3 years ago

Ok first come up with an original theme, I am sure the Pinsiders will help you with ideas. Then we will go on to the shots and engineering that will show you a virtual vision of your game: I am sure your theme will be great; and no it can not be this theme:

50024A92-BF44-4E83-B806-DBBC4C65ADC8 (resized).png50024A92-BF44-4E83-B806-DBBC4C65ADC8 (resized).png
    #373 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Ok first come up with an original theme, I am sure the Pinsiders will help you with ideas. Then we will go on to the shots and engineering that will show you a virtual vision of your game: I am sure your theme will be great; and no it can not be this theme:[quoted image]

Dang, it's gotta be an original theme? No one is interested in those And second, I want my game to make people feel good when they play it, so the theme above is a definite turn-off to most and would leave you feeling guilty about enjoying pinball.

#374 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Ok first come up with an original theme, I am sure the Pinsiders will help you with ideas. Then we will go on to the shots and engineering that will show you a virtual vision of your game: I am sure your theme will be great; and no it can not be this theme:[quoted image]

You’d at least sell one with that theme

#375 3 years ago

I want an AKIRA pinball!!!

#376 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

We all know you have won some for your SDTM content. That is good entertainment with your partner the bone man so we can all respect that

Quoted from TreyBo69:

I like Chris's show. (I also liked SAP, Cary Hardy's youtube, Travis Murie's youtube, and will occasionally listen to Zach and Dennis. They all have their pros and cons, and represent a few different view points on the hobby)
    Chris's biggest asset is the energy he brings to his show. He does it when he feels fired up, and it shows in his entertaining rants that can be just as insightful as stupid. He is super excited even when he's on a diatribe. It's more entertaining than most of the typical boring middle aged white guys chit chatting about whatever. Chris knows what his lane is and sticks to it.
    I can't believe some people want to doubt how obsessed he is with the companies that make pinball machines and the people who buy them. (I wouldn't be surprised if there is some overlap with his day job as I imagine a lot of his clients want to target rich middle aged white dudes). The show might have started out of spite, but he has easily spent two thousand hours recording, editing, and deleting pods the past few years. And he should be proud of winning because he does put in effort and puts himself out there.
    Of course he has plenty of faults. He can hold grudges, isn't all that knowledgable about the history of the industry, and has a real vicious side that sometimes comes out when he's drinking. But he has also had great interviews and done some legit reporting re Heighway, Dutch, and some others.

Do you have a problem with middle age white men?Or are we the last group in America that you people can bad mouth without reprisal?

#377 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Do you have a problem with middle age white men?Or are we the last group in America that you people can bad mouth without reprisal?

I don’t really see him bad mouthing us but you’re the professional pot stirrer, not me.

#378 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

And second, I want my game to make people feel good when they play it,

Theme confirmed

#379 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

No I don’t have an issue with them. I have plenty of them in my life. I like hearing perspectives from various people

Like Chris is a marketer, Zach is a distributor, Dennis is a history nerd, Travis is a competitive player, Cary is into restorations, Franchi works in the industry. That’s why I like these guys. I get a different perspective from each one

So a lot of podcasts are boring to me because it’s basically the same people discussing the same things.

Honestly I made a mistake by not including Backbox Pinball in the list of pinball podcasts Ill occasionally listen to. They have a show that interests me and is different from the rest. That’s entertaining and valuable to me

#380 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I will design a pinball machine at some point. I understand the complexities, the costs, and the difficulty, to some degree, but of course nowhere near the level that you do. I know it's a strong stance and yes I hammed it up a bit for entertainment purposes on the podcast, but I believe I can design a machine that is significantly better than Punny Factory. No disrespect, it's more a reference to the standards I hold for myself. I love a good challenge so putting that statement out there challenges me to create something great.
    Ship me down a Punny Factory and I'll promo it and review it I love new pinball.

I'll be happy to hear your take on the game and what you personally can learn from it. You might see it as a bit of a 'step down' from me, but as anyone following it closely should know, it's a learning exercise for the parties involved, not just from a design perspective but in seeing how well one group can work to the brief from the other side of the world, and then PA learning the ropes in how to build them, starting simpler and working upwards. Whether this first game 'sells' is less relevant than they got exactly what they wanted from it (it's based on one of their own brands), and where should they go from there.

And I'm not done with more complex pinball. A lot of 'complexity' boils down to lateral thinking, how to achieve a desired effect in the easiest way you can come up with, using off-the-shelf components as much as possible. For instance, one such feasibility study I'm trying out is creating a bona-fide bash toy using the base and microswitches of an arcade joystick attached to the playfield underside, the stick shaft going through it, and then building up the actual 'model' part on top of that, which can then be hit and score from any direction.

#381 3 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

I'll be happy to hear your take on the game and what you personally can learn from it. You might see it as a bit of a 'step down' from me, but as anyone following it closely should know, it's a learning exercise for the parties involved, not just from a design perspective but in seeing how well one group can work to the brief from the other side of the world, and then PA learning the ropes in how to build them, starting simpler and working upwards. Whether this first game 'sells' is less relevant than they got exactly what they wanted from it (it's based on one of their own brands), and where should they go from there.
    And I'm not done with more complex pinball. A lot of 'complexity' boils down to lateral thinking, how to achieve a desired effect in the easiest way you can come up with, using off-the-shelf components as much as possible. For instance, one such feasibility study I'm trying out is creating a bona-fide bash toy using the base and microswitches of an arcade joystick attached to the playfield underside, the stick shaft going through it, and then building up the actual 'model' part on top of that, which can then be hit and score from any direction.

Sounds cool Dave. Check out this cool Omni-directional pop that Wayne Neyens design https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3240&picno=55683

I was a bit snarky before, but I respect the hell out of the team for finishing the project.

Ok I’ll tap out to let this thread get back to stroking Chris’s ego

#382 3 years ago

it's a learning exercise for the parties involved, not just from a design perspective but in seeing how well one group can work to the brief from the other side of the world, and then PA learning the ropes in how to build them, starting simpler and working upwards. Whether this first game 'sells' is less relevant than they got exactly what they wanted.

Perfectly put...Dave

#383 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Sounds cool Dave. Check out this cool Omni-directional pop that Wayne Neyens design https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3240&picno=55683
    I was a bit snarky before, but I respect the hell out of the team for finishing the project.
    Ok I’ll tap out to let this thread get back to stroking Chris’s ego

Look like a similar principle; a passive rubber centre surrounded by switches. More intricate in that each switch operates independently, but by using the joystick method the bash toy should also 'react' - recoil back from the direction it's hit from before resetting itself to the central position. So it can't tilt *too* far as the height of the model on top needs additional clearance space for that.

#384 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Theme confirmed

I 100% love and support this as a pinball theme!

#385 3 years ago

Zach Meny presents: Ice Cream Shop!
    Hit the shots to pick your flavors and toppings.
    Taste test Multiball
    You drain and your ice cream cone drops to floor.

#386 3 years ago

pinball is exhausting

#387 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Zach Meny presents: Ice Cream Shop!
    Hit the shots to pick your flavors and toppings.
    Taste test Multiball
    You drain and your ice cream cone drops to floor.

Hahaha Ice Cream Shoppe Truck I guess could work.

#389 3 years ago

heck of a first post.

#390 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

heck of a first post.

Kaneda’s new account?

#391 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

heck of a first post.

It's not my first, just on this topic - cause I've never seen anything like the last 72 hours with this dude. Go watch his livestream right now and then declare anything I said, incorrect.

#392 3 years ago

#393 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballDyson:

It's not my first, just on this topic - cause I've never seen anything like the last 72 hours with this dude. Go watch his livestream right now and then declare anything I said, incorrect.

You nailed it. His behavioral track record is not very good, although many simply do not know or mentally give him a pass. He is fascinating to observe...from a clinical POV.

#394 3 years ago

Kaneda coffee break.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Kaneda’s new account?

#395 3 years ago

You have a second pinside account then?

#396 3 years ago

Thanks for using paragraphs. I read one of them.

#397 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Just remember what happened last time Pinballbuzz teamed up with a pinball personality for a project how well it went!

#398 3 years ago

It's not my first...

Ah, just your first post with this account, got it.

#399 3 years ago

Well you don't need to add a hefty dose of creative freedom with his statement, and still be right.

Like with the "Sonic" Homebrew his interview might have given it the edge, not that it was "soley because of".
    Even he admits that it's speculative altough he'd like to belive that.

I quit listening to that episode also.
    He IS right in some regards and YES I was bummed with the 30 minute wait till the video starts as well (especially since it was allready 1AM here), BUT he ALWAYS ignores every aspect that is not in his line of sight. Like producing this kinda content, trophys and stuff costs money that has to be re-earned somehow.
    And no, you can't air this shit half an hour earlier because you're paid that people actually watch that stuff.
    Better have it as a warm up then one commercial between each TWIPY.

So better Do the TWIPY the TWIPY way and have the TWIPYS, then doing it the Kaneda way and end up having nothing (because there was no budget).

#400 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Kaneda’s new account?

More like Whysnows'

There are 1,303 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 27.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-is-back-501-airing-now/page/8?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.