Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Asmig
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    WPC aux2 (resized).JPG
    06_dmc.jpg
    09_fliptronic.jpg
    02_cpu.jpg
    01_power_unregulated.jpg
    01_power_regulated.jpg
    01_power_sources.jpg
    power supply (resized).png
    regulator (resized).png
    schematic (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 2 years ago

As others have mentioned, you really shouldn't be asking about resets here without measuring some voltages first. Secondly, when asking about an electrical issue here, you need to mention any mods that have been added. You mentioned two or three above, but it appears you left out a whole lot more.

Your profile shows feedback from the seller of your game. A couple more clicks led to the ad for the game.

'Many upgrades including ColorDMD, magic wands, spinning hat, working tiger saw, trunk locks and more.'

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/113284

Your 12 volt circuit was badly overloaded. That's why it was resetting.

#28 2 years ago

The resets stopped because you took the CPU board current draw off the overloaded 12 volt supply. Your 12 volts will likely still read low due to all the mods, but the CPU doesn't run off the 12 volt circuit any more. Back to the 5 volt circuit with daughter board removed.

People install the daughter board for different reasons. It's not always a driver board/ connector issue. House may have low voltage, game might be plugged into a power strip with 5 other games, game may use a long extension cord. Some people install the daughter board as a preventive measures, when the game isn't resetting. A cheap and easy to install device that assures the owner his or her game will never suffer from the dreaded resets. If the mods were installed in your game before the daughter board, whomever installed it didn't really know what they were doing (by adding the CPU board load to the already overloaded 12 volt circuit).

You need to test voltages. You may also want to message the person you got it from and ask him why he installed the daughter board.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Fix the 12v circuit. Usually the cap is the culprit and needs replacement. Hopefully it hasnt leaked and taken out a bunch of components.

Did you see the list of mods above? Color dmd, tiger saw blade motor and hat motor are all likely running off 12 volts. Who knows what else is running off the 12 volts.

Needs a separate 12 volt power supply plugged into the utility outlet and a bunch of the mods moved to that supply. After that is done, the 12 volts should be tested on the driver board before any repairs are attempted.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

My gripe is with statements saying that all the mods added to the system are drawing the "12V" supply low.

The first thing I said in this thread is that he shouldn't be asking about resets without measuring some voltages, as others said previously.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Those mods are connected to +12VU.

Safe to assume that for the color dmd, because it's wired that way, but not all the other mods. I've seen plenty of mods powered by a wire soldered to a test point on the driver board.

I honestly didn't want to know what was plugged in where. He seemed to be pointing a finger at the daughter board, but left out a huge amount of details about the game. He's new here. Now he knows.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

If you haven't already done this, I'd put the Kahr board back in and see if the game starts resetting again. It's possible that a connector wasn't making good contact and the simple act of exercising it made it better.

The female connector on the daughter board latches onto the CPU board like vice grips. You have to support the back of the CPU board to keep it from flexing too much when installing the board. That tight connection no doubt cleans the males pins on the CPU board when it's first installed. You could have a problem with the factory IDC connector that connects to the male pins on the board, but I don't suspect that was his problem.

Some very simple voltage readings would tell us most everything we need to know, but he seems to not want to know any more as his game is working again. I've put the daughter board in lots of customer's games and have never had a call back. Usually don't need to rebuild connector J-210. Rock solid product. If the original poster lived near me, I'd ask him to give me his 'broken' board. For research purposes, obviously.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I feel the whole mod theory is misleading/wrong information and would like to put this to bed; aside from the KHAR board, can anyone tell me of a single mod for this game that is designed to connect to the regulated 12V circuit? I can think of none.

There's no point in going any further without more input from the original poster. I'm curious if the tiger saw motor and hat motor are running off unregulated 12V. Seems like they might not last long. Guess we'll never know.

The real lesson to be learned here is don't move to Hawaii and buy pimped out old pinball machines if you don't have any technical skills.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

sure we would, nearly all 12V motors in every WPC game runs off unregulated 12V and they are low failure parts.

Those all go through a motor board before any power goes to the motor. I've heard of and have probably seen the tiger saw blade mod. It's been around awhile. The first issue he mentioned was that mod. Seems like I've heard of the hat one too, but I've never installed either.

If only we could get our hands (and meters) on this game. I suspect we'll hear more about it in the future.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kahr-wpc-mpu-power-fix-circuit-add-on-daughterboard?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.