Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by blizzak
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SAM_6626.JPG

#1 7 years ago

My JY spits out the balls over & over again upon boot up.

I have remove the trough & wiped the optos & IR's. I then reconnected the tough & correct cables. Balls were still spitting out. Having then done a number of searches within the forum I spotted a thread that mentioned the divots on the trough.

Optos & IR's pass the switch test when i break the beam be it with a tooth brush or lowing the balls in. All optos/ir register 4..3...2...1

With the trough now removed & some sand paper I'm about to take the divets down to as smooth as possible..Here goes.

See photo.

SAM_6626.JPG

#2 7 years ago

Having spent the last 15-20 minutes sanding down the divots to the best of my ability, the ball trough coil is still kicking over & over again with balls in trough & out of trough..

#3 7 years ago

might be the opto just above number one. did you check this one?

#4 7 years ago

What does this solenoid do when fired through test menu?
Correct number of balls in game? (insure you have the right number and one is not missing or in the system somewhere still)
I would also check the opto that sneljo82 mentioned. I would think this would be the most common.

Best of luck with your repair.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from sneljo82:

might be the opto just above number one. did you check this one?

They all pass the switch test when I break the beam.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

What does this solenoid do when fired through test menu?
Correct number of balls in game? (insure you have the right number and one is not missing or in the system somewhere still)
I would also check the opto that sneljo82 mentioned. I would think this would be the most common.
Best of luck with your repair.

The coil/solenoids fires a number of times thus kicking the balls out. They then go back in the trough & are kicked out again.

#7 7 years ago

Had this problem on a couple of games. Check the 'ball jam' opto - it's located between #1 opto in the trough and the shooter lane to detect if there's a ball stuck there. The game is seeing the opto as closed so it keeps kicking balls out to clear the non-existent jam.

In one case is was a bad IR emitter; replaced it and no problem. The other case (and this took me forever to figure out) was a broken wire in the harness around mid-playfield. It was on the same line in the switch matrix as the ball jam opto. Figured that out when there were two other standup targets that weren't registering as well.

Good luck!

#8 7 years ago

Go into switch edge test, roll a ball to the shooter lane switch, be sure it closes and stays closed. Then remove the ball and see if it opens fast or drags on the playfield or something.

Next up dig out your old manual, switch matrix layout. Find the trough clear/ball jam opto. This is the last opto a ball goes by on it's way up to the shooter lane. Check other switches on the same row and column as that opto - look for switches wired wrong, diode on backwards, or a short to wiring at the switch lugs - especially a switch a ball could hit like on a ramp.

LTG : )

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from blizzak:

Had this problem on a couple of games. Check the 'ball jam' opto - it's located between #1 opto in the trough and the shooter lane to detect if there's a ball stuck there. The game is seeing the opto as closed so it keeps kicking balls out to clear the non-existent jam.
In one case is was a bad IR emitter; replaced it and no problem. The other case (and this took me forever to figure out) was a broken wire in the harness around mid-playfield. It was on the same line in the switch matrix as the ball jam opto. Figured that out when there were two other standup targets that weren't registering as well.
Good luck!

Every other target (switch) are working.. With that in mind I can only assume it's the opto or IR's

#10 7 years ago

I'm going to update from v1.0 to v1.2

I'll report back.

#11 7 years ago

That's the opto i was talking about ball jam. Must be that one. updating the pin wont help for the ejecting balls problem.

#12 7 years ago

If it's not the balljam opto (which I do suspect) there's another path to investigate:
JY also pre-loads a ball on the playfield under the left ramp.
I believe there's a rom setting to allow this.
At startup if it doesn't detect a pinball there it'll auto-launch a pinball and shoot it so it goes under that upkicker. Maybe there's an issue with the optos there, underneath the upkicker, with the auto-kicker, .. ?

I wouldn't update the roms as that will probably reset all audits and selftest information, so if there's a broken switch it'll temporarily go away until a dozen games have been played and then start acting weird again.
Does it give now any switch errors on startup ?

#13 7 years ago

No switches errors upon start up.

I have removed the ball trough & optos/IR's & gave them a wipe. Solder & tracks seem ok.

#14 7 years ago

I've held back on the update going off your advice above.

#15 7 years ago

The ball jam opto isn't registering.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from STTNG:

The ball jam opto isn't registering

Then the game thinks a ball is there and hence the problem it keeps trying to clear it.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Then the game thinks a ball is there and hence the problem it keeps trying to clear it.

I now require 2 new opto/IR?

Ordered.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from STTNG:

I now require 2 new opto/IR?

You could just replace the one not working, it is better to replace in pairs so they are both new.

#19 7 years ago

You can do a quick check of the IR emitter by looking at it through a digital camera. It will glow like crazy if it's working.

If it is dark, it's probably just needs to be replaced. This is pretty common since the trough gets a lot of vibration. You should also check continuity between the emitter and it's next connection just to be sure it's not a cracked solder joint or broken trace.

If it is bright like the others, there could be a broken wire somewhere after the trough board. It could be the detector but it rarely goes bad. Doesn't hurt to check that side for solder issues as well.

I'm not sure how JY is set up but *sometimes* there is an extra IR emitter already on the trough board that is not used. If your soldering skills are decent, you can steal that one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 37.50
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside