1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ockeyhead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 1 year ago

I have a JVL Encore Touchscreen that is not completely working. It's actually very simple since the machine boots, plays & reacts to the touch commands. The only problem is that the screen is completely blank.

I did take a flashlight to the blank screen & there is ghosting images that can be seen while the JVL operates. I believe this hopefully could be a simple issue, that would involve replacing the backlights. < If this is simple?

If anyone has any knowledge w/ this that would be greatly appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

This is the PINBALL "tech generic" forum. You will get a better audience on KLOV forums.

#3 1 year ago

Yes, I understand that. There are many excellent techs in all areas on here. Was almost certain that somebody on Pinside would have some knowledge of this machine.

#4 1 year ago

I do but it's not likely a simple fix issue. Likely a monitor issue since it plays blind. On "Megatouches" and other tabletops games like yours, the electrolytic caps go bad on the monitor chasis after so many hours/years of operation.

Now, it could be a simple connection problem or a video card problem but, that's much more unlikely. (Those games are actually built with old PC motherboards and video cards.)

Monitors can be dangerous to work on if you are not familiar with them. In nearly every case, performing a cap kit on a tabletop game is MUCH MORE difficult than a simple arcade monitor. There are usually 2 or 3 times the number a caps and it is a VERY crammed space inside those things and the dust in them is typically unholy+ungodly. There's pictures out there to prove this!

(Just think of doing a "cap kit" on an iPhone.)

If you do not have experience with the common procedure of a cap kit on an arcade monitor (sounds like you don't), you should certainly not attempt it on this machine. The other thing that sucks is I have repaired a LOT of these and sometimes after a cap kit, it just turns out that the monitor is shot and either the tube is bad or, the chasis overheated to the point of no return. Given the amount of "screen burn" you described, it could be beyond it's point of return. Also, sometimes you cap it, and it works for another week or month and them the PS or the motherboard goes out and you are just constantly chasing down the demons.

Also, you can possibly find the exact same one you have used and fully working MUCH cheaper than it would cost you to pay someone to repair the one you have. I know that sounds crazy but I promise it's true.

The audience on KLOV can much better advise someone who could directly help you. I can diagnose and likely repair it, unfortunately I'm not for hire... those "demons" I mentioned earlier have scarred me for life.

#5 1 year ago

That's what I was looking for > My experience w/ these touchscreens is zero. I appreciate the insight & description with the complications involved w/ the JVL. Since you mentioned the many possible scenarios, off to Klov I go >

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jvl-encore-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.