Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault.jpg
    Double-compound-pendulum.gif
    600px-Lorenz_attractor_yb.svg.png
    image.jpg
    plastic dinosaurs 0.jpg
    if-i-stay-on-topic-in-an-off-topic-thread-am-i-off-topic.jpg
    mug-throw-big-lebowski.gif
    ubbs.jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Euchrid:

Geeez, I'm truly surprised that I'm alone on this one, that I think there is nothing random about pinball. I find it an interesting topic, I'm not hating at all. Random being defined as proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern. If hit the exact same way, within the exact same environment (i.e. the same game), the pinball will do the exact same thing every time.

If we take this to the logical extreme, you're describing predestination... NOTHING is random; ever since the big bang everything that has happened, is happening and will happen are doing so based solely on the unbending laws of physics. All future is already determined by the current status of all matter and momentum in existence - even this post was predestined to happen by the result of all actions up til now.

Me, I prefer randomness.

However, this part: "If hit the exact same way, within the exact same environment (i.e. the same game), the pinball will do the exact same thing every time." is not true. Tiny variances in the voltage delivered to the wall socket and caused by oxidation on connectors.. differences in air pressure as weather moves through, differences in humidity changing friction, the breakdown of the playfield, pinball and rubber surfaces, wear on the flipper parts.... no flipper stroke is the exact strength of the prior one when you start looking into thousandths of a volt differences... it is basically impossible to exactly replicate conditions in a pinball machine from play to play. One dimple changes everything...

#52 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#53 9 years ago

Chaos Theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory)

It's relevant to the discussion about "randomness", but it is also a good description of this thread.

Double-compound-pendulum.gifDouble-compound-pendulum.gif

600px-Lorenz_attractor_yb.svg.png600px-Lorenz_attractor_yb.svg.png

#54 9 years ago

I thought Roger Sharpe proved it was a game of skill, and not random chance.

The end. Now, back to the rest of the article, which was very encouraging.

Chris

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I thought Roger Sharpe proved it was a game of skill, and not random chance.

The skill is reducing the randomness.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Pinball, uh, finds a way.

Thumbs up for the "uh"!

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-when-you-thought-pinball-was-dying-stern-dropped-in-another-quar/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.