By PhillyBilly

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 10 years ago

Hey guys I just went and looked at a HOOK. It was completely playable but the cab had chips all over it and Mylar all over the playfield. back glass was great but again the cab was ok. They were asking 1250 I stuck at 1000 they wouldn't budge lower than 1150 so I walked.... Good or bad move on my part?

#2 10 years ago

Good move. One of the worse DEs in my opinion.

Plenty of good DEs out there to buy.

rd.

#3 10 years ago

Good move in my opinion as well. I don't really dig the machine, but for some weird reason my wife wants one. The mylar may have been intended as the machine before that DEST has 50-60% of the playfield with mylar. Then again, the one I picked up had been routed, so maybe it came from there, but looked like it may have come from the factory that way.

#4 10 years ago

Good move - chipped cab and tons of mylar. I'd do $800 so you'd pay more than me.

#5 10 years ago

That's what started at.

#6 10 years ago

Good move but doesn't it hurt to leave one over 150 bucks I've done the same thing but hated the afterburn

#7 10 years ago

Nope they just texted me saying 1100 now plus delivery and I'm sticking to my guns at 1000 plus delivery. I don't even like the 1000 anymore honestly but I like the game.

#8 10 years ago

Buy it buy it buy it you'll be sorry if you don't it's gonna be sweet to play a new pin

#9 10 years ago

I'm just getting other opinions here. It's simply not worth what they want for it. I hate having to tell people their machines are not worth what they were when they bought them but it has to be done. It's not a heavy hitter game and 1000 is the best price they are going to get from collectors around Denver. I still feel weird about 1000 and I'm not going any higher. So the ball is in their court.

#10 10 years ago

Hook sucks. Don't buy it.

#11 10 years ago

freaking annoying music and speech. couldn't imagine owning one of them.

#12 10 years ago

If you've got kids it's an okay game.. It's got a few catchy sayings! $1k a decent price for one..

#13 10 years ago

Do it

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from GoBlue:

Hook sucks. Don't buy it.

Yeah what he said!

#15 10 years ago

If you gotta ask doooooo iiittttt what's a hundred

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

If you've got kids it's an okay game.. It's got a few catchy sayings! $1k a decent price for one..

Any DMD pin that works has got to be worth $1000 doesn't it.

At $1000 you can play it for a while and when you get sick of it you should be able to get your money back ok.

So if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

I went and looked at a Genie and a Royal Rumble at Xmas time. Both were very nice condition and the guy told me his price. His price was a little more than I felt they were worth, so I politely made him my offer and gave him my card.

"Hey, this is what I'll pay for them. If you don't have any luck getting what you're after, here's my card, give me a call and I'll pop around with the cash" and left him to it.

Surprise surprise a few days later I'm around there giving him my price and loading them up.

If I'd missed out ... No sweat. Plenty more fish in the sea. The pins were only worth what I offered him, so it worked out ok.

If I was you, I'd say the same thing to those guys. "Hey, I have $1000 cash sitting here at my house. Drop the pin around and come and get it if you want it. If not, no sweat ... I'm looking at another pin on Monday"

Cut and paste that and text it to them.

rd.

#17 10 years ago

pretty much what I said to them as I left, but yeah I agree no sweat on my end. I've been looking at others online already. Thanks for the advice rotordave.

#18 10 years ago

and to Snowyetti... 100 shouldn't be much at all when the people getting rid of it have a four car garage, boat and a horse.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from PhillyBilly:

and to Snowyetti... 100 shouldn't be much at all when the people getting rid of it have a four car garage, boat and a horse.

You don't become wealthy by letting money go

Yeah I think dmd game is worth $1k, but you have to feel that way. I've never played hook, but stick with what you feel is right.

#20 10 years ago

touche' northvibe haha but yeah not budging.

#21 10 years ago

This is my cousin's pin. I set it up for them over 10 years ago. It has a few scratches on the cabinet but is in good condition overall. I have restored ~25 pins over the last 15 years and I think $1150 is a fair price. The fact that you are bitching about them having a house, a boat and a four car garage on an open forum would keep me from selling you anything at any price. Don't bother calling them back as I have already told them you are whining about them on the internet...

#22 10 years ago

You dodged a bullet. $1K for a beat sounding hook is just too much.

#23 10 years ago

sounds good i was waiting for this... and if you think its whining and cannot see the humor in any of those previous posts then great. If you read the first post i state it was a well kept GAME just not cabinet. This forum is for mingling and advice. Sorry if i offended you but no harm was meant.

#24 10 years ago

ahhh more pinball drama love it

#25 10 years ago

guess it makes it interesting.

#26 10 years ago

I am guessing you just got punked and this guy is just messing wih you. Have him describe the seller or somethin'

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I am guessing you just got punked and this guy is just messing wih you. Have him describe the seller or somethin'

DENVER huntsville PUNKED

#28 10 years ago

No I cant do that cause this is an OPEN FORUM! but in all seriousness I actually think hes not BSing cause the seller kept claiming an out of state cousin who was into pinball who they called and there is no way that the sellers would have known to post the machine on pinside without some form of advice that this website existed.

#29 10 years ago

$1150 doesn't sound out of line and neither does $1000. The seller could probably get $1150 if they wait long enough. If you really want a Hook then I'd take it for $1100

#30 10 years ago

want it? sure... really want it? no.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from PhillyBilly:

want it? sure... really want it? no.

eh then don't get it. Sounds like you and the seller don't see eye to eye anyway. Probably more trouble than it's worth. I'd kick back with the cash and keep and open mind. Something else will come up.

#32 10 years ago

Well said Herbert .I don't see tons of hooks around oh well looks like there pissed now anyways.worth is in how much you want it.and in your case not that much

#33 10 years ago

Even Hook hates his own pin. I hate I hate I hate....Peter Pan. Words couldn't ring more true. While I like the art package I can't get over how awful the music and game play is. Run....don't walk....run from this pin. Wouldn't pay more then 300 pesos.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

At $1000 you can play it for a while and when you get sick of it you should be able to get your money back ok.
So if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.
I went and looked at a Genie and a Royal Rumble at Xmas time. Both were very nice condition and the guy told me his price. His price was a little more than I felt they were worth, so I politely made him my offer and gave him my card.
"Hey, this is what I'll pay for them. If you don't have any luck getting what you're after, here's my card, give me a call and I'll pop around with the cash" and left him to it.
Surprise surprise a few days later I'm around there giving him my price and loading them up.
If I'd missed out ... No sweat. Plenty more fish in the sea. The pins were only worth what I offered him, so it worked out ok.
If I was you, I'd say the same thing to those guys. "Hey, I have $1000 cash sitting here at my house. Drop the pin around and come and get it if you want it. If not, no sweat ... I'm looking at another pin on Monday"
Cut and paste that and text it to them.
rd.

I agree with you I've own a couple Hooks and haven't paid more than $1k for them..

#35 10 years ago

If it was free and nib it would still be overpriced

#36 10 years ago

Quote:

Answer:
Absolutely not..... Unless your planning on trying to flip out of it and make a few hundred bucks, bad "d" games are a pain to own & unload.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from HandsOfStone:

This is my cousin's pin. I set it up for them over 10 years ago. It has a few scratches on the cabinet but is in good condition overall. I have restored ~25 pins over the last 15 years and I think $1150 is a fair price. The fact that you are bitching about them having a house, a boat and a four car garage on an open forum would keep me from selling you anything at any price. Don't bother calling them back as I have already told them you are whining about them on the internet...

Good god almighty! Can't we have just 1 thread without any 1st grade drama?
Really dude, take it somewhere else.

#38 10 years ago

Game will make you crazy. Good that you walked away.

#39 10 years ago

The response to this thread really makes me feel better about my decision. Thanks pinside people this forum is really helpful. I really can't believe how responsive and honest people are here, it's amazing. Super glad I joined.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus
Lighting
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-went-and-looked-at-a-hook and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.