(Topic ID: 12313)

Just want to be a cry baby for a second...

By 85vett

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

outoforder.JPG
    Dirty-Dancing-movie-03.jpg
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Just got back from my local arcade (Pinballz). It's been a month or two since I've been and they raised the prices on all the pins. Everything (except EM machines) are now $0.75 a play and several are now $1.00 per play (AFM, MM, LOTR, etc). 90% of them used to be $0.50 a play. Heck even, pinbot, Batman DE, Hook, JP, T2, BR, you get the point are all $0.75 now.

Just being a baby right now as I can't complain or whine TOO much as I'm very luck to be able to drive 20 mins and play nearly all the top 100 pins but it was sad to see the rate hike.

Seems like everything keeps going up but my paycheck...

Crying done, now back to being happy I just spent 4 hours on $20 playing pinball

#2 12 years ago

$20 for 4 hours of pinball fun, i think it's a well spend $20!

#3 12 years ago

75 cents seems to be the norm now, or a $1. There's a bar in chicago called brixies that has MM, Tron LE, and cactus canyon, all are $1 (but at least they're top rated games). I really don't mind paying that for a machine I know is well taken care of.

#4 12 years ago

Thats why I love the places that have a flat rate to enter and then all are set to free play.

#5 12 years ago

I charge 1$15C per game

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderpants:

I charge 1$15C per game

Gouging.

#7 12 years ago

.75 is garbage for older games, total bogus. They better have 0 tilt and lanes closed.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

They better have 0 tilt and lanes closed.

Nah, I did notice that more were moved from hardest to medium but some are still set to wide open. A few were set on easy though. Really wasn't consistent. For example, the left drain on TF was set to hard and the right drain was set to medium. Both on Batman Dark Night were set to easy. Most were medium plus.

I figured $.75 was about the going rate but just hated to see the hike from $.50. I felt really bad for the kids there as they only had a couple of $$$ so as you can imagine they didn't get many plays at all. $5-$10 and little to no skill doesn't last long at $.75-$1.00 a play. I caught them watching a lot vs playing. If one was watching me and I popped a free game I just handed the free one over to them to try and get them playing.

One good and bad thing was they were super busy so looks like business is still good.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Just got back from my local arcade (Pinballz). It's been a month or two since I've been and they raised the prices on all the pins. Everything (except EM machines) are now $0.75 a play and several are now $1.00 per play (AFM, MM, LOTR, etc). 90% of them used to be $0.50 a play. Heck even, pinbot, Batman DE, Hook, JP, T2, BR, you get the point are all $0.75 now.

Just being a baby right now as I can't complain or whine TOO much as I'm very luck to be able to drive 20 mins and play nearly all the top 100 pins but it was sad to see the rate hike.

Crying done, now back to being happy I just spent 4 hours on $20 playing pinball []

I know from experience 50¢ play wasn't making it. If you want to have a place with pins to play, it is going to cost more.

First 50¢ pin was Black Knight in 1981. ( Would have needed to go to 75¢ in 1991 to have the same buying power )

Or don't patronize the place. And eventually the pins will go away. Everything else makes more money than pins anyway.

LTG

#10 12 years ago

That reminds me, next time I'm up there I think I'm going to talk to the manager to see if they can do a deal for the younger crowd. Would be cool if they would do 2 for 1 tokens or even 1.5-1 tokens for kids younger than 16. Wont cost them much but will help the families out and get the younger generation playing longer.

#11 12 years ago

You will cry if you come to Aus as alot of the older 90's games are $1 per game - or 3 games for $2. As for the recent Sterns they are $2 for a game for 5 balls and if you put $5 in a note taker - 3 games .

You guys are lucky and we only tend to have 1 or 2 pinballs in a few pubs here as there are hardly any arcades left.

#12 12 years ago

I must be crazy, all my games are a quarter.

#13 12 years ago

1up in Denver is 50c for all games, even mm and the new sterns. It's nice.

#14 12 years ago

lol well dont come to Australia they are $2 a game here... Justified since games were $1 a game 20 years ago.....

#15 12 years ago

Why complain? You should be happy you went to Pinballz!!!

#16 12 years ago

I refuse to pay that much to play on principle alone. I love to play pinball, but it's rare that I'll pay 75c to play. 50c, yes... but I better get 3 games for my dollar.

#17 12 years ago

Guess he felt he wouldn't make it on 50 cents. Despite the increase, just gotta support your local arcade. Folks in Austin are real lucky to have such a place--that place is amazing: over 140 pins, no dupes...that's more than the PHOF & most shows!

We've only got one place in Houston and unfortunately, it's a retail store (Joystix) with a lot of pins (gotta be at least 50-60 in there), but it's only open as an arcade two Friday nights a month from 9 pm to 2 am and just caters to the Downtown Houston party scene (guy owns the bar next-door with no wall in between).

Only wish it was a regular arcade open daily for 75 cents a play (as I don't get out during those times).

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

the left drain on TF was set to hard and the right drain was set to medium

Thanks for mentioning this, I was able to get in there tonight and now both outlanes are in the middle position.

As for the pricing, not my call, I'm not the person to expound on the business model or the economics of pinball machines and arcades. I do wanna list the prices though it's not quite as bad as you make it sound.

Two tokens for early SS games (Xenon, F-14, Gorgar, D&D, Flash, Black Hole, Haunted House, Blackout, etc.) and our 3 EM machines.

Three tokens for DMD games and complex SS games (Funhouse, Banzai Run, SoF, EATPM, BoP, etc).

Four tokens for these six: LoTR, MM, AFM, CV, MB and TAF. Replays are pretty reasonable on these: 30mil for LotR, 40mil for MM, if you know the machine you should be able to pop em on a good day

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Crying done, now back to being happy I just spent 4 hours on $20 playing pinball

Isn't that the same place that had a Gottlieb Genie for sale for $7000?

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I know from experience 50¢ play wasn't making it. If you want to have a place with pins to play, it is going to cost more.

First 50¢ pin was Black Knight in 1981. ( Would have needed to go to 75¢ in 1991 to have the same buying power )

Or don't patronize the place. And eventually the pins will go away. Everything else makes more money than pins anyway.

LTG

Wasn't that Black Hole that was the first 50 cent machine?

#21 12 years ago

Most of the modern Sterns in arcades and bars here in the UK are £1 a game or £2 for three.

That works out at the current exchange rate as $1.50 a single game or $1 each for three games.

#22 12 years ago

Most pins around here are $.50 play or 5 plays for $2. If they were $.75, I'd hope thye'd at least give you a 3 for $2 option.

You can always buy those pins if you don't want to pay what they are asking to play.

#23 12 years ago

Pins cost a lot to maintain for an op, wear and tear, vandalism considerations also make it worth a dollar a play. They also cost more than vids. As soon as the pins don't cash flow, ops will stop offering them. Not to mention you can win free games on vids either, and they are .75 to $1

Pinball is still a bargain

#24 12 years ago

I think it sucks they have no buy in credit, 3 x 4 games etc. Some of their games have problems like, the bouncing weak right flipper on flash that's been broke for 4-5 months, handful of games not leveled especially TAF, to tight tilts on some games and it doesn't seem to get fixed. They have 120+ pinball machines though so I understand but it doesn't help when the price of a game with issues increases. At least I can take out my frustrations on their T3, tilt is non existent

#25 12 years ago

all the game on location near me are still 50 cents a game. mostly sterns but a few b/w are still out there. only 1 a list adams family. and it rarely works.

#26 12 years ago

i thought you were talking about this;

"nobody puts baby in the corner" lmao

Dirty-Dancing-movie-03.jpgDirty-Dancing-movie-03.jpg

lol regarding the thread, luckily where i live i don't have any pinball machines to play (except mine) so my coin money goes into my 'replacement parts or led' jar.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

lol well dont come to Australia they are $2 a game here... Justified since games were $1 a game 20 years ago.....

Not surprising, since everything is more expensive over there than it is here. What is the average price of a movie ticket these days?

#28 12 years ago

All modern Sterns are $1 around here in OH.

Older TOM, AFM and the like are .50

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

85vett said:Just got back from my local arcade (Pinballz). It's been a month or two since I've been and they raised the prices on all the pins. Everything (except EM machines) are now $0.75 a play and several are now $1.00 per play (AFM, MM, LOTR, etc). 90% of them used to be $0.50 a play. Heck even, pinbot, Batman DE, Hook, JP, T2, BR, you get the point are all $0.75 now.
    Isn't that the same place that had a Gottlieb Genie for sale for $7000?

Wow I got one on the floor guess I better go mark it up! Genie is a really old fun wide body though but not 7k! or even 3k or even 2k!

#30 12 years ago

I find it funny that many of us lament not being able to find pins nearby, or not having access to decent titles on location, but when an op raises the prices in order to remain profitable and still be able to keep these games on route, we complain.

Count yourself lucky. I wish I had more than 2-3 games within a 10 mile radius to play... and I would be happy to pay $0.75-$1.00 if it meant I could play any of those titles in the wild.

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

LTG said:

LTG

Wasn't that Black Hole that was the first 50 cent machine?

No, came set from the factory 9 months before Black Hole. I operated both of them.
    LTG

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I find it funny that many of us lament not being able to find pins nearby, or not having access to decent titles on location, but when an op raises the prices in order to remain profitable and still be able to keep these games on route, we complain.

Ain't that the truth.

LTG

#33 12 years ago

I wish I had those games to play for $1 a game, I would be all over it. Would you let any stranger play your $7000 to $10000 game for 50 cents? I didn't think so. Some people have no idea how good they have it.

#34 12 years ago

Dollar mechs are THE best way I've seen to get people spending more and not thinking about the price so much, or used to dollars as opposed to quarters. Also avoids having to deal with so many quarters.

$1/game sounds reasonable to me for well-maintained games, so long as the more serious players have a nice volume option. Maybe 7/$5? That's about 71 cents per game.

#35 12 years ago

I guess we can't expect inflation to bypass pinball. The bread the operator has to buy for his family
    sure is affected by it.

#36 12 years ago

I'll heat up a bottle for ya.............Seems like alot of places are switching to the "swipe cards" now instead of tokens, etc. We pay $8.00 for 1 hour of play at the local goofy golf place. I swipe a few times in AFM and MM and give the card to the kids. Never really pay attention to the price of a game, happy to play some A titles on location :-)Amazingly the pins are in good shape 90% of the time. Total pins are 15 there. The place is called SunSplash in Mesa, AZ.

#37 12 years ago

I love that place 85Vett! $20 for 4 hours is great, I still have a bunch of tokens in my truck to use when I head back up there.......well worth in my opinion, they keep all the machines in good shape..

#38 12 years ago

I don't have a super beef with new sterns being $1, because I'm not a teenager and $1 isn't a lot to me. Then again, whether $1 is a lot for a teenager these days, I have no idea.

Owners have to get their monies, but also the games have to be accesible enough to grow interest for new players. If you're charging $1, and you have the game pitched up super fast, gates open, just trying to get the quickest cash flow, you may actually being working against yourself. Are you losing casual players, and if so is that money being made up by pinheads? I have no idea, just something I was thinking about when playing TF today. Tron next to me in the hour i was playing 2 people came up, played a game for under a minute, and left. Would this have happened if it were 50 cents, 75, 3 games for $2? Maybe so. I'm not an operator so i wouldn't know.

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

RGR said:lol well dont come to Australia they are $2 a game here... Justified since games were $1 a game 20 years ago.....
    Not surprising, since everything is more expensive over there than it is here. What is the average price of a movie ticket these days?

Average price at the movies is about $15 for an adult.... small fortune for a family including raiding the snack bar.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

Thanks for mentioning this, I was able to get in there tonight and now both outlanes are in the middle position.

As for the pricing, not my call, I'm not the person to expound on the business model or the economics of pinball machines and arcades. I do wanna list the prices though it's not quite as bad as you make it sound.

Two tokens for early SS games (Xenon, F-14, Gorgar, D&D, Flash, Black Hole, Haunted House, Blackout, etc.) and our 3 EM machines.

Three tokens for DMD games and complex SS games (Funhouse, Banzai Run, SoF, EATPM, BoP, etc).

Four tokens for these six: LoTR, MM, AFM, CV, MB and TAF. Replays are pretty reasonable on these: 30mil for LotR, 40mil for MM, if you know the machine you should be able to pop em on a good day

Glad to see a rep on here I think my only realy complaint would be it's very inconsistent.
    Replay's - 65 million on IM and 100 million on TF hardley sounds reasonable. But then some pins (FH, TOTAN, GNR) are set super easy. I popped 3 in a row on GNR.

Rate - Ya'll had it perfect before the change in my oppinion. The A listers were $1, the B listers were $.75 and everything else was $.50. Example - Do you really get people playing Batman DE for $.75? I own the pin and I would feel like I was ropping people for paying that much to play mine.

I personally wont be going as much as I used to. I used to go about once a week and drop $20 and have fun for myself and my daughter. Now I'll probally go once every 2 months at the most. For me alone thats about a $700 annual loss. The rate hike doesn't impact me that much as I'm fairly decent and can get a fair amount of fun for the money but my wife and daughter are not good at all so spending $.75 on a C+ list pin for them to play for 1-2 mins isn't a good value anymore.

#41 12 years ago

Be happy you have a local arcade that has pins. I still find that playing them in the wild is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them.

#42 12 years ago

I was so happy to find 6 - 7 nice, well-maintained machines at Bene's pizza when we were back in Omaha I was giddily throwing 20's in the change machine. I probably gave the niece and nephews 15 bucks in quarters each just trying to show them how fun pinball can be.

I really appreciated that place, being starved for pins on location in Atlanta...

#43 12 years ago

All our pins in Walla Walla, WA are set at $1 for 3 credits. Even BBH , LOTR , BDK , and SM

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

All our pins in Walla Walla, WA are set at $1 for 3 credits. Even BBH , LOTR , BDK , and SM

Hehe, I remember that place from playing Oregon Trail in grade school.

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Count yourself lucky. I wish I had more than 2-3 games within a 10 mile radius to play... and I would be happy to pay $0.75-$1.00 if it meant I could play any of those titles in the wild.

Exactly.

This whining is actually pretty unbelievable if not pathetic.

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

This whining is actually pretty unbelievable if not pathetic

If you had read the comments rather than just trying to make a snood remark you would have easy seen that their is more here than just a vent session on a price change but do take note that not everyone is paying that much, these machines are not well kept (look at the pics of the TF playfield in another post), but most importantly I was just upset that it's no longer cost effective for "my family" and for those that don't have a good income.

Everyone wants to say they raised prices as they couldn't make it at the old rates. I say it was just greed getting in the way. They've been around a while and are super busy and I'm pretty sure they were doing just fine at the old prices. It's business though, they have the right to raise rates but then again I have the right to be upset about the increase and I also have the right to no longer be a patron if I chose. I exercised those rights which is far from "pathetic". I'm sorry that my oppinion and feelings aren't the same as yours but calling me pathetic for it is just plain childish. I guess where my jade is that my life isn't pinball so by having 120+ machines local to me isn't a big deal. I honestly could care less as not playing for a couple of months or even a year wont change my life one bit.

#47 12 years ago

I love pinballz. While i would love all machines to be a dime I fully understand the pricing.

Im super lucky to have them near and everyone there is super friendly and helpful.

85Vett..... you got a chance to look at that CF yet?

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't have a super beef with new sterns being $1, because I'm not a teenager and $1 isn't a lot to me. Then again, whether $1 is a lot for a teenager these days, I have no idea.
    Owners have to get their monies, but also the games have to be accesible enough to grow interest for new players. If you're charging $1, and you have the game pitched up super fast, gates open, just trying to get the quickest cash flow, you may actually being working against yourself. Are you losing casual players, and if so is that money being made up by pinheads? I have no idea, just something I was thinking about when playing TF today. Tron next to me in the hour i was playing 2 people came up, played a game for under a minute, and left. Would this have happened if it were 50 cents, 75, 3 games for $2? Maybe so. I'm not an operator so i wouldn't know.

When I was a kid, a quarter was a lot to us! I used to recycle cans to get money to play video games. If two places had the same game, but it was 50 cents at the closer place, it wasn't unusual for us to walk up to a couple miles to the other place just to "double" the number of games we could play.

If I could scrape together 50 cents, I would go to the grocery store to play Spy Hunter, Galaga or Moon Patrol. I could play for at least a half hour on those games.

On other games I wasn't as good at, I needed at least a buck to make it worth the trip.

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

This whining is actually pretty unbelievable if not pathetic.

Ha. People complaining about the prices of things these days isn't really pathetic or unusual.
    I don't know about people who live in places that feel "lucky just to have pinballs around them," but I've had them around me my whole life, it's my American/Michigan birthright!

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

I guess we can't expect inflation to bypass pinball. The bread the operator has to buy for his family
    sure is affected by it.

We did in the early 1990's and saw the industry self destruct.

LTG

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-want-to-be-a-cry-baby-for-a-second?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.