(Topic ID: 199550)

Just used novus, how long before I can wax?

By guilds100

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fosaisu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0441 (resized).JPG
article-0-1B5655F8000005DC-797_634x340 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I just used novus for the first time. Im not sure how long I should wait before applying blitz wax.

#2 6 years ago

carnauba wax has a half life of 24.5 yrs. better hurry up!

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

carnauba wax has a half life of 24.5 yrs. better hurry up!

I think he is asking how long should he wait for it to dry and then apply wax?

#4 6 years ago

I didn't know you had to wait any longer than required for it to dry (couple minutes). I'll be interested to see people's opinions on this.

Edit: which novus did you use?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I didn't know you had to wait any longer than required for it to dry (couple minutes). I'll be interested to see people's opinions on this.
Edit: which novus did you use?

I used novus 3, 2 and 1. I read that novus has solvents in it. I've done some guitar finishing and I know that the solvents have to flash off before going to the next stage in the finishing process.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from guilds100:

I used novus 3, 2 and 1. I read that novus has solvents in it. I've done some guitar finishing and I know that the solvents have to flash off before going to the next stage in the finishing process.

I assumed it was just Novus 1 which is why I asked because the more abrasive ones may require a waiting period. Let's see what people say. Most would probably tell you to avoid Novus 3 entirely.

#7 6 years ago

Why not just clean the playfield with naptha prior to waxing? That should remove any surface contaminants before waxing.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Why not just clean the playfield with naptha prior to waxing? That should remove any surface contaminants before waxing.

I watched some head to head cleaning techniques on youtube and novus gave the best results for what I'm working on. Im on williams 78 world cup that was probably never cleaned so it needed a little extra grit. Also I did some touch up around all the inserts and the novus flatten it out nicely.

#9 6 years ago

You should remove the novus with a dry rag and then wax.

#10 6 years ago

When I clean with novus I never let it dry, just use a rag and wipe it up as you go area by area. Still dirty, just repeat the process.

#11 6 years ago

I did wipe the novus off with a clean cloth after and didn't let it dry on the surface. I read that it had solvents in it that I can still smell on the playfield when I stick my nose to it. I used to finish guitars with lacquer and it had to pass the sniff test, no smell what so ever before continuing with the finishing process. I usually took 30 days to get to that point. I'm quite sure this wont take that long but I dont want to screw this up either. Im practicing on this machine first but I have 4 more in the hopper and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

#12 6 years ago

After I clean the whole playfield with novus, I wax then, usually the same day. I have let the wax sit for several hours to overnight. Then wax off.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from guilds100:

I read that it had solvents in it that I can still smell on the playfield when I stick my nose to it.

you're definitely playing it wrong.

#14 6 years ago

What you do on your own time is your own business.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

After I clean the whole playfield with novus, I wax then, usually the same day. I have let the wax sit for several hours to overnight. Then wax off.

said Mrs Miyagi....

#16 6 years ago

It passed the sniff test and I gave it a coat of wax. I forgot to ask how many coats does one apply?

#17 6 years ago

2 coats...
Make sure Biff puts on both.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

This. The naphtha removes everything and does not harm paint or clear pat, and evaporates super fast. Wear a mask though

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This. The naphtha removes everything and does not harm paint or clear pat, and evaporates super fast. Wear a mask though

But does naphtha polish at all?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

No.

#21 6 years ago

Not really Novus related but more of a process question.
Is there anything wrong with not using naphtha at all and just rewaxing every time?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Is there anything wrong with not using naphtha at all and just rewaxing every time?

You'd get a buildup of wax and crud after a while. Especially on EMs. I tend to wipe up more black coil gunk on them than I do on my SS games. Straight always waxing wouldn't really do a good job getting that crud out.

I tend to polish up a new-to-me game once with Novus 2, then just naphtha and re-wax every so often to keep things tidy.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

You'd get a buildup of wax and crud after a while. Especially on EMs. I tend to wipe up more black coil gunk on them than I do on my SS games. Straight always waxing wouldn't really do a good job getting that crud out.
I tend to polish up a new-to-me game once with Novus 2, then just naphtha and re-wax every so often to keep things tidy.

Thanks,
I only have SS but i've not been using the naphtha - Not really much build up yet as I'm really careful not to get wax on posts/ramps etc.

I figured I could use the wax as a way to clean in some ways but I'll try the naphtha in between.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from guilds100:

I watched some head to head cleaning techniques on youtube and novus gave the best results for what I'm working on. Im on williams 78 world cup that was probably never cleaned so it needed a little extra grit. Also I did some touch up around all the inserts and the novus flatten it out nicely.

Sorry I meant Novus > naptha > a waxin'

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I only have SS but i've not been using the naphtha - Not really much build up yet as I'm really careful not to get wax on posts/ramps etc.
I figured I could use the wax as a way to clean in some ways but I'll try the naphtha in between

That's not any different from not washing your car before waxing, all you do is grind in surface dirt. I always use naphtha before I wax. I use novus 2 when I do a complete shop followed by naphtha then wax.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I meant after using the Novus

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wear a mask though

This is reason enough to skip naptha. There's enough toxic crap out there without bringing it in your house to the pinball machines. Novus 2 is an abrasive. Buff with a rag after novus 2 and you are good. That will remove the novus fine. You're not pouring gallons of novus on.

#28 6 years ago

Man... how much naphtha are you guys using?? Just dab some onto a rag, and wipe. I hardly smell anything when I'm cleaning. A little goes a long way. No need to saturate anything.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Man... how much naphtha are you guys using?? Just dab some onto a rag, and wipe. I hardly smell anything when I'm cleaning. A little goes a long way. No need to saturate anything.

Naphtha contains Benzine, which is bad juju. I plan to be playing pinball for many years so I take any available measure to limit exposure.

https://www.collectioncare.org/MSDS/naphthamsds.pdf

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

2 coats...
Make sure Biff puts on both.

Can you wax... a coat of wax?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Naphtha contains Benzine, which is bad juju. I plan to be playing pinball for many years so I take any available measure to limit exposure.
https://www.collectioncare.org/MSDS/naphthamsds.pdf

? It says no long term effects from inhalation, does it not? I’ve never worn a mask.. which by mask I would assume you mean something more heavy duty than a dust mask. — but regardless if you can crack a window in the pin room or limit your naphtha session to a couple minutes you shouldn’t have any issues. Totally my opinion of course, but esp. after seeing the msds I don’t see a major issue with a bit of naphtha

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I don’t see a major issue with a bit of naphtha

Respiratory irritants can affect different people different ways, and the OSHA exposure limit numbers don't mean much to me.

The bottom line is you must use chemical gloves and ventilation for safety, and common sense says always seek out a less toxic alternative when available.

#33 6 years ago

I made this thread in this thread's honor: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/psa-come-on-people-down-with-napatha-up-with-novus-2

It's highly flammable even in the air, and it's terribly bad for you. Come on guys, it comes in a METAL container. It's not for cosmetic reasons, either!

I spilled it on my hands once or didn't take the glove-rule seriously (I forget), and I swear to god I tasted it in my mouth for two days. Scary experience. Could have been either from touch or from inhalation. Regardless, it stinks. Literally and figuratively.

#34 6 years ago

I don't want to speak for him, but I believe even Vid recommends you wear a mask w/ Naptha

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don't want to speak for him, but I believe even Vid recommends you wear a mask w/ Naptha

Someone blow the vid horn call

article-0-1B5655F8000005DC-797_634x340 (resized).jpgarticle-0-1B5655F8000005DC-797_634x340 (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

I just finished buffing off the second coat of wax. Now on to the reassembly part. I'm happy with the results and plan on using this procedure on each machine I have. This was a real pain to do but worth the effort. The blitz wax is something I've never used before and well worth the money.

#37 6 years ago

The real question is why are you using Novus (a PLASTIC cleaner) to clean your pf??? And it's Novus 3 to boot!! You are removing layers of clear with every rub.

Use Simple Green or something like that to clean instead.

#38 6 years ago

water based

There's an entire thread dedicated to this "guide to waxing" play fields. You'll learn from Vid that naptha is great for everything including putting on your breakfast cereal. myself I'm anti.

wipe. novus 2. wipe. wax.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Respiratory irritants can affect different people different ways, and the OSHA exposure limit numbers don't mean much to me.
The bottom line is you must use chemical gloves and ventilation for safety, and common sense says always seek out a less toxic alternative when available.

Throwing on a pair of rubber gloves and a respirator takes seconds, and seems like a reasonable precaution when working with something like naphtha.

Respirators are cheap, and you really should have one if you do anything remotely interesting in your shop.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Comfort-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator/dp/B00IF7RCU6

Get some particulate filters for sanding, sawing, etc. (far superior to the "protection" provided by a "comfort mask").
https://www.amazon.com/Particulate-Nuisance-Organic-Release-2097PA1/dp/B007STCT00/

And then get VOC filters for naphtha use (and use it when you're spray painting or using other volatile chemicals).
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Cartridge-60923-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B00AEFCKKY/

Opinions differ, of course, but you only get one set of lungs so spending $50 to take care of them seems reasonable.

#40 6 years ago

I got it all back together. It looks like a bowling alley. My cheap camera cant ever take a picture of it.

100_0441 (resized).JPG100_0441 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from guilds100:

I got it all back together. It looks like a bowling alley. My cheap camera cant ever take a picture of it.

Was the shaker motor activated when you took that shot?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-used-novus-how-long-before-i-can-wax?hl=hawxby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.