(Topic ID: 233411)

Took delivery of new Dialed In - Initial Disappointment (slowly turning around)

By ajbalch

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190111_123737.jpg
20190107_220700 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from ajbalch:

Totally impatient - Ordered! Thanks for the link.

Hey guys my POTC is exhibiting major ground loop chatter noise too. I bought this linked device, thanks!

Can you direct me to the right place to plug it in?

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Same. Now my Hobbit and Dialed In are quiet as they should be. Given the price of the part, it should be included at the factory in my opinion.
The ground loop fix is super easy. If you are impatient like I am, you can order one here and overnight it: amazon.com link »

I bought this part and plugged it into my POTC. Unfortunately it made no improvement whatsoever.

Are there any ther suggestions for ground loop chatter/noise?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Really? Not trying to offend, but was it plugged in correctly to the proper outlet?
I just ask, because I had terrible speaker noise on both Dialed In and The Hobbit and this COMPLETELY knocked it out. Weird.

I pulled out the monitor and found the audio cable in the upper right of the backbox. I unplugged that and put this in the middle there. Wrong place?

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Note, it is the 3.5 plug that enters the green port on the right side as shown below.[quoted image]

Thanks. I will try again tonight. Is the filter directional?

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Yes, sort of. Most should be male on one end and female on the other. One accepts the existing plug and the other must be plugged into the box, so I don't know how it could be installed incorrectly as long as it is the correct port and the correct wire.

Mine came with two female ports and a male to female cable. So it can plug into either side.

I am surprised that it didn’t work unplugging the audio jack connection in the upper right corner of the backbox.

Do I need to remove anything to get to this green port other than the monitor? There was a heat shield with warning stickers I did not remove.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Note, it is the 3.5 plug that enters the green port on the right side as shown below.[quoted image]

Found the green port - thanks for the picture! I plugged the filter in both ways and had absolutely zero improvement.

In fact, unplugging the audio entirely had zero improvement - there was still some white noise and cpu “chatter” sounds through the speakers.

I’m guessing the ground loop must be related to the amplifier itself.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

You still have noise through the speakers with the speakers unplugged_?

I have noise through the speakers with the audio cable unplugged from the CPU board.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Have you unplugged the headphone jack harness plug from the motherboard itself? Not from the headphone board in front of the cabinet but from the motherboard itself, bottom right corner of the motherboard once you take the metal lid off. Unplug the cable there and leave it off, then see if you have any noise in the audio. Pirates games come with a GLI installed by the factory generally speaking.

What I unplugged was the RCA jack in the green plug on the motherboard. I did not remove the metal shielding, nor did I attempt to unplug the headphone jack harness. I’ll check it!

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I would get the amazon one, the one that JJ is sending failed fast for me on WOZ, ordered this amazon one and nothing but silence since.

I’ve had really poor luck with that Amazon one. I’ve tried plugging it in at three different spots in the preamp audio chain and it didn’t make one bit of difference. I’m going to try JJP’s next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-took-delivery-of-new-dialed-in-initial-disappointment?tu=zaphX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.