(Topic ID: 233411)

Took delivery of new Dialed In - Initial Disappointment (slowly turning around)

By ajbalch

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190111_123737.jpg
20190107_220700 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Long time member and limited poster here! Just took delivery of my second new in box machine. The first was a gb pro which i received about a week ago and had zero issues. Unfortunately, the dialed in which I was super excited for has some issues. I've checked the threads and it looks like many have experienced some little thing or another - but I'm wondering if I got one more packed with issues than most.

Before I list the issues, I'll say that once we got the machine playable - wow. Awesome. I bought it without ever seeing one in person, and I bet its a keeper.

Now, the issues:
- Side rails dented from back box laying on it. Not ridiculous dents but visible.
- The speaker noise is crazy-loud. Everyone who saw the game commented on how annoying it is. Even in standby it sounds like someone is dialing into AOL or sending a fax - non stop. The sound itself is not nearly as impressive as the gb
- The left drain roll-over is so high up the ball hangs on it sometimes. If it does roll over, the kick has already fired and the ball drains (props to the desigener tho - the game knows and initiates a ball save)
- Two of the led lights on the phone are not fully functional (missing the red)
- The programming buttons did not initially work (the wire was pulled away from the pcb in the back-box and pins slightly bent).
- The monitor bracket is bent
- The girl in the back that diverts the ball has a weak arm... it lowers during game play and blocks the ramp to the point where the game runs a ball search.

I'm going to contact jjp and see what they can help me out with - and based on what I've read it looks like they are great folks. I'll update as I get things straightened out. I'll update software as well.

As someone who has only purchased used games up until this point I have to say I thought the nib experience would be a bit better. Here's hoping I'm just another person who was initially disappointed with this game and grows to love it.

Would appreciate any comments all you experts can offer.

#2 5 years ago

Here's the good thing, once you get everything straightened out from my experience JJP games run great and don't have a ton of issues other then the WOZ light board debacle. The bad thing is what you describe is pretty normal, I've had to make a lot more adjustments on all of my JJP initially then any of the other companies. Sadly I've come to expect a couple days of trouble shooting and adjusting from them. I keep buying them though because after you get past that, the experience is usually worth it.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Here's the good thing, once you get everything straightened out from my experience JJP games run great and don't have a ton of issues other then the WOZ light board debacle. The bad thing is what you describe is pretty normal, I've had to make a lot more adjustments on all of my JJP initially then any of the other companies. Sadly I've come to expect a couple days of trouble shooting and adjusting from them. I keep buying them though because after you get past that, the experience is usually worth it.

What he said.

Most NIB pins come with minor issues. Something shakes loose, a part is damaged, etc.

Like others who have dealt with JJP, they will make it right. Give them a call and if they don't answer, email their support team.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ajbalch:

- The girl in the back that diverts the ball has a weak arm... it lowers during game play and blocks the ramp to the point where the game runs a ball search.

In my experience, there is a _very_ fine line between the point where a ball can clear Betty's upraised "arm" and the point where the ball's momentum hitting the lowered arm will drop it to the clear playfield over the bumpers. After several adjustment of the center "prong", I've got it working correctly on all but the slowest left ramp shots.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

What he said.
Most NIB pins come with minor issues. Something shakes loose, a part is damaged, etc.
Like others who have dealt with JJP, they will make it right. Give them a call and if they don't answer, email their support team.

don't bother with e-mail you want this fixed ASAP, email is hit or miss, calls work every time and they are on it.

#6 5 years ago

Sounds like a lot of physical or assembly issues. Pinside won't be much help.

Get ahold of JJP. I recommend submitting a ticket on their site, then calling if you don't here back in a day or so.

Congrats on the new game. It'll be awesome once it's 100%!

#7 5 years ago

I am sorry but none of that sounds normal to me! It sounds like shipping damage. Dented side rails are not acceptable in any NIB experience. I am sure JJp will come to this conclusion on their own.

#8 5 years ago

My Hobbit and DI had the same sound issues. They sent me a ground loop isolator(I think that’s what they called it.) and it cleared up. Just give them a call. They’ll take care of you.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

My Hobbit and DI had the same sound issues. They sent me a ground loop isolator(I think that’s what they called it.) and it cleared up. Just give them a call. They’ll take care of you.

Same. Now my Hobbit and Dialed In are quiet as they should be. Given the price of the part, it should be included at the factory in my opinion.

The ground loop fix is super easy. If you are impatient like I am, you can order one here and overnight it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

#10 5 years ago

I know it's annoying - and it's expensive. But JJP stands behind their machines. Jack happens to be a really good guy too - and seems to really care what people think of his products.

He will 100% come through and make it right. I'm w/everyone else - hang in there- and it will be your favorite machine.

#11 5 years ago

They will definitely make it right. Their machines are top notch in terms of build quality-you do have a few more problems out of the gate than most, just give them a call.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Same. Now my Hobbit and Dialed In are quiet as they should be. Given the price of the part, it should be included at the factory in my opinion.
The ground loop fix is super easy. If you are impatient like I am, you can order one here and overnight it: amazon.com link »

I would get the amazon one, the one that JJ is sending failed fast for me on WOZ, ordered this amazon one and nothing but silence since.

#13 5 years ago

I truly appreciate all the feedback! Nothing quite like hauling an 8K thing into your house and having your wife say "this is dented, this is stuck, the lights are the wrong color here, followed up by "why is it called *Dialed-In*... because it sounds like its trying to call AOL?"...

As far as dented side rails, there was no packaging to block the head from pushing against them. It's shipped standing up (well its DELIVERED standing up) so there shouldn't be that much pressure on it.

I called JJP on my way home from work and left a message for Tech. Steve called me back within 5 minutes and we chatted about the issues for about 15 minutes. I'm sure they will send me the parts I need and help me out. During our call another tech support rep called and left a message. Seems like a great company and I can tell the game will be a family favorite.

Looking forward to getting this little stuff and truing having this game "dialed in"

20190107_220700 (resized).jpg20190107_220700 (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago

Don't feel overwhelmed, tackle one issue at a time. Jjp support does a good job and you'll be up and running soon enough. A bit of a disappointment and I'm sure jjp will feel a bit embarrassed about it, but they will make it right. It's a great game

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from ajbalch:

... followed up by "why is it called *Dialed-In*... because it sounds like its trying to call AOL?"...

Haha she doesn't even know what "Dial-up" is...wives are so funny

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from ajbalch:

During our call another tech support rep called and left a message.

That was me. I didn't know Steve was talking to you at the same time.

LTG : )

#17 5 years ago

Sorry to hear about the issues, JJP support will get things straightened out. Once the game is dialed in (lol) it's incredible.

With that being said I've noticed a recent uptick in QC issues being reported with JJP games. I'm huge fan of JJP but they also need to keep in mind that at these all time high prices that expectations for quality has also gone up. Many of the issues posted here and other threads should have been caught at the factory.

#18 5 years ago

Don't know aboot POTC but this "uptick" has been going since DI was released.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from ajbalch:

I truly appreciate all the feedback! Nothing quite like hauling an 8K thing into your house and having your wife say "this is dented, this is stuck, the lights are the wrong color here, followed up by "why is it called *Dialed-In*... because it sounds like its trying to call AOL?"...
As far as dented side rails, there was no packaging to block the head from pushing against them. It's shipped standing up (well its DELIVERED standing up) so there shouldn't be that much pressure on it.
I called JJP on my way home from work and left a message for Tech. Steve called me back within 5 minutes and we chatted about the issues for about 15 minutes. I'm sure they will send me the parts I need and help me out. During our call another tech support rep called and left a message. Seems like a great company and I can tell the game will be a family favorite.
Looking forward to getting this little stuff and truing having this game "dialed in"[quoted image]

There should have been foam blocks inbetween the head and the rails. Sounds like someone messed up in the packing stage. Unfortunately those things are a pain to replace. The stern rails are on with screws so they are super easy. JJP I believe uses double sided tape which you have to slowly work free so you don't damage the cab using a putty knife or something similar. I'm sure JJP will send you replacement rails but just be prepared that they are a pain to replace.

#20 5 years ago

My DI rails are dented to but I know I had a lot of jamming to get it in the car so I always just assumed it was that.

#21 5 years ago

I also had problems with my NIB DialedIn.

JJP will sort it out for you, call them thats the easiest way to contact them. They helped with all problems and my DialedIn is working great.

Big thumbs up for JJP support.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't know aboot POTC but this "uptick" has been going since DI was released.

Things have certainly improved since Dialed In was released. A number of fixes are now made at the factory compared to early build games. Maybe more people buying JJP games then in the past is also contributing to more reported issues.

#23 5 years ago

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

The ground loop fix is super easy. If you are impatient like I am, you can order one here and overnight it: amazon.com link »

Totally impatient - Ordered! Thanks for the link.

#25 5 years ago

I thought the same on my first NIB experience - but you know, stuff happens when it’s being shipped around. Frustrating to say the least! My first NIB was also DI, and I had a lot of the same issues. Pinball is hard Enjoy the game, it is amazing

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from ajbalch:

Totally impatient - Ordered! Thanks for the link.

Hey guys my POTC is exhibiting major ground loop chatter noise too. I bought this linked device, thanks!

Can you direct me to the right place to plug it in?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Can you direct me to the right place to plug it in?

Page D-84 and page D-85 in the manual. Audio Output 3.5 mm cable to Sound Amplifier Board J102

LTG : )

#28 5 years ago

For future JJP buyer this POTC un-boxing shows scary little packing pick games up at your distributor

#29 5 years ago

That unboxing looks decent compared to what I had... which was nothing between the backbox and side rails. even a little cardboard would have solved that. Installed a GLI and wow... so much better. JJP is sending me the parts I need to bring this back up to where it should be, which is certainly appreciated.

Hopefully these little things don't happen too often. As someone who has done repairs on a few pins and has moderate experience doing electronic and pcb repair I'm not phased by it. For someone who ordered one of these and has to fix this stuff with zero experience - totally different story.

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice, support, and help!

Now to choose one last new in box pin to finish off the gameroom.....

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from ajbalch:

That unboxing looks decent compared to what I had... which was nothing between the backbox and side rails. even a little cardboard would have solved that. Installed a GLI and wow... so much better. JJP is sending me the parts I need to bring this back up to where it should be, which is certainly appreciated.
Hopefully these little things don't happen too often. As someone who has done repairs on a few pins and has moderate experience doing electronic and pcb repair I'm not phased by it. For someone who ordered one of these and has to fix this stuff with zero experience - totally different story.
Thanks again to everyone for all the advice, support, and help!
Now to choose one last new in box pin to finish off the gameroom.....

Haha, one last pin is what we all say.....

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

For future JJP buyer this POTC un-boxing shows scary little packing pick games up at your distributor

Wow, this is pretty sad if that is the amount of packing in those boxes. My NIB Houdini and prior sterns were packed way better.

#32 5 years ago

You're not alone after getting mine new sunday dec 23th I finally got everything fixed yesterday. Initially is was the statue (Betty) arm wasn't set up right and trapped the ball and then I had the famous trap door malfunction. Lucky my distributor made a 3 hours trip to fix both on the following friday. However later that day the trap door malfunctioned again and then switch #13 theater was stuck. Good news I got support instructions, bad news I tried but had no clue and how to fix. Since 1, I'm a mechanical nit wit and 2, I don't have the tools. My top notch tech came over yesterday and fixed everything. Now everything is working great. I also have NIB Hobbit zero issues. RR Woz NIB had a few issues that my tech fixed. My build date is 10/23/18.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

I bought this part and plugged it into my POTC. Unfortunately it made no improvement whatsoever.

Are there any ther suggestions for ground loop chatter/noise?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I bought this part and plugged it into my POTC. Unfortunately it made no improvement whatsoever.
Are there any ther suggestions for ground loop chatter/noise?

Really? Not trying to offend, but was it plugged in correctly to the proper outlet?

I just ask, because I had terrible speaker noise on both Dialed In and The Hobbit and this COMPLETELY knocked it out. Weird.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Really? Not trying to offend, but was it plugged in correctly to the proper outlet?
I just ask, because I had terrible speaker noise on both Dialed In and The Hobbit and this COMPLETELY knocked it out. Weird.

I pulled out the monitor and found the audio cable in the upper right of the backbox. I unplugged that and put this in the middle there. Wrong place?

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I pulled out the monitor and found the audio cable in the upper right of the backbox. I unplugged that and put this in the middle there. Wrong place?

Note, it is the 3.5 plug that enters the green port on the right side as shown below.

IMG_20190111_123737.jpgIMG_20190111_123737.jpg
#37 5 years ago

Wow that is an insane number of issues for an older production game nib. For the premium jjp charges this is unacceptable imo

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Note, it is the 3.5 plug that enters the green port on the right side as shown below.[quoted image]

Thanks. I will try again tonight. Is the filter directional?

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks. I will try again tonight. Is the filter directional?

Yes, sort of. Most should be male on one end and female on the other. One accepts the existing plug and the other must be plugged into the box, so I don't know how it could be installed incorrectly as long as it is the correct port and the correct wire.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Yes, sort of. Most should be male on one end and female on the other. One accepts the existing plug and the other must be plugged into the box, so I don't know how it could be installed incorrectly as long as it is the correct port and the correct wire.

Mine came with two female ports and a male to female cable. So it can plug into either side.

I am surprised that it didn’t work unplugging the audio jack connection in the upper right corner of the backbox.

Do I need to remove anything to get to this green port other than the monitor? There was a heat shield with warning stickers I did not remove.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Note, it is the 3.5 plug that enters the green port on the right side as shown below.[quoted image]

Found the green port - thanks for the picture! I plugged the filter in both ways and had absolutely zero improvement.

In fact, unplugging the audio entirely had zero improvement - there was still some white noise and cpu “chatter” sounds through the speakers.

I’m guessing the ground loop must be related to the amplifier itself.

#42 5 years ago

appears they need much better quality control at the factory to check out these games before they leave the factory

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

In fact, unplugging the audio entirely had zero improvement - there was still some white noise and cpu “chatter” sounds through the speakers.

You still have noise through the speakers with the speakers _unplugged_?

#44 5 years ago

Have you unplugged the headphone jack harness plug from the motherboard itself? Not from the headphone board in front of the cabinet but from the motherboard itself, bottom right corner of the motherboard once you take the metal lid off. Unplug the cable there and leave it off, then see if you have any noise in the audio. Pirates games come with a GLI installed by the factory generally speaking.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

You still have noise through the speakers with the speakers unplugged_?

I have noise through the speakers with the audio cable unplugged from the CPU board.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Have you unplugged the headphone jack harness plug from the motherboard itself? Not from the headphone board in front of the cabinet but from the motherboard itself, bottom right corner of the motherboard once you take the metal lid off. Unplug the cable there and leave it off, then see if you have any noise in the audio. Pirates games come with a GLI installed by the factory generally speaking.

What I unplugged was the RCA jack in the green plug on the motherboard. I did not remove the metal shielding, nor did I attempt to unplug the headphone jack harness. I’ll check it!

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I would get the amazon one, the one that JJ is sending failed fast for me on WOZ, ordered this amazon one and nothing but silence since.

I’ve had really poor luck with that Amazon one. I’ve tried plugging it in at three different spots in the preamp audio chain and it didn’t make one bit of difference. I’m going to try JJP’s next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 22.50
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-took-delivery-of-new-dialed-in-initial-disappointment?hl=estrader and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.