Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Beaumistim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

My work rented a Ghostbusters Pro for a week during our Xmas slowdown and I got super hooked on it. I've always wanted to buy a pin since I grew up in the 90's playing pinball at arcades. Now I'm finally in a position to be able to pick one up, my wife has given me the go ahead and I've built a climate controlled garage to house them.

My budget is 7-8k CDN and I'm torn between spending all of it on a newer table (thinking Tron or TSPP) or maybe buying two older tables (JD, Hollywood Heat, Getaway:HS2).

I'm basically trying to get the longest term playability/depth for my buck. Thoughts?

#2 5 years ago

Monster Bashr

#3 5 years ago

With your budget I would try and go for two pins. One pin set up is tough, sometimes a pin is just a bitch and you can't get anything to go on it. Being able to just go, ok your shit today lets try this one right next to you. That one will play like a dream. When you stuck on one it can be frustrating. No matter how great a pin is they tend to multiply so its good to have a little reserve in the pin fund.

Don't be afraid of an older pin as far as maintenance I find a pin is a pin and they all require about the same amount of tuning and tweaking. So long as its in decent shape your probably safe. Overall they are very reliable.

#4 5 years ago

Get 3 and rotate them every year. You could get 2 early 90s DMD and 1 80s System 11.
    Pick 2 from Column A and 1 From Colum B. All are in the top 150. Get one a month for the next few months then trade one out every few months. You should be able to about break even on trades every time as long as you don't go nuts fixing them up.

A
    Fish Tales
    Last Action Hero
    Jurassic Park
    World Cup Soccer
    Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Monopoly
    Judge Dredd
    Road Show
    Revenge From Mars
    Ripley's Believe It Or Not
    Doctor Who
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Terminator 2
    Stargate
    Black Knight 2000
    Dirty Harry
    Baywatch
    Demolition Man
    No Fear

B
    Pinbot
    High Speed
    Fire
    Flash Gordon
    SeaWitch
    Firepower
    Cyclone
    F-14

#5 5 years ago

Get a modern game you enjoy now. If you get tired of it in a few months sell it and buy stuff much different than your first game.

As you get into the hobby you'll learn what you enjoy. Get involved in your local community to experience more aspects of pinball like competitions and learning to maintain your games.

#6 5 years ago

Some other older titles that are great but not mentioned:

Tales from the Crypt
    The Shadow
    Bram Stoker's Dracula

#7 5 years ago

MBr

#8 5 years ago

It depends on if your going to learn to fix your own games.
    If so I would start with some early ss Bally and Williams games first.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Geteos:

What should I get?

Out, while you still can.

#10 5 years ago

F14 Tomcat

#11 5 years ago

Check http://pinballrevolution.com/ to hook up with the local supply!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

It depends on if your going to learn to fix your own games.
    If so I would start with some early ss Bally and Williams games first.

Definitely something I'm willing to do.

I'm a mechanical engineer and am pretty handy with a soldering iron and a multimeter. Also have a 3D printer so I can copy/print some basic parts.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Check http://pinballrevolution.com/ to hook up with the local supply!

Yup, I posted a WTB on there, had a couple offers, but haven't bit on anything yet.

#14 5 years ago

If you have space I agree more than one pin would be better. We used to have 10 or so then we were forced to scale way back and dropped to one pin and a VPIN. The VPIN has been great and its staying but I am always working on it and it cannot replace a real pin. That being said we are adding some pins back into the house now and will be at 3 + the VPIN.

Also having more than one game allows for different types of games. Some games are crazy fast fun, others are deep long ball times and marathons etc. You really need a mix of kinds in your game selection to allow for longevity.

For us we plan to get to 4 + the VPIN. Spot #4 will most likely be a constant rotation game i.e. every 6 months to a year sell it and get something else. The keepers are MB, JJP-POTC, and we are working to acquire our very first pin back into the house as the wife wants it and that is Silverball Mania. If I had more room and more money I would love to be back at 10 games but that just isn't possible.

So an older SS game and a newer DMD game I think would be a great place to start based on budget. Folks have already listed some great choices so nothing really I can add to that list. Good luck with your search and welcome to the insanity, I mean addiction, I mean torture err... welcome to the hobby!

#15 5 years ago

It doesn’t matter what you get...if your hooked like you say then your in trouble.....should have just tried heroin it’s probably cheaper

#16 5 years ago

MONSTER BASH REMAKE

#17 5 years ago

Taxi , wcs94, and woz are good favorites of non pinball and pinball players alike. Your buddies coming over might enjoy tna

#18 5 years ago

I recommend also getting a project EM to putt around on. It's a steep learning curve but very rewarding.

#19 5 years ago

There are so many good ones but i agree with others that say get more then one. Got my first one a year ago and will be getting seventh one tomorrow. Love a variety instead of one expensive one.

#20 5 years ago

Went and picked up a JP today from an estate sale. Looks like a HUO machine as the person bought it with the house 10 years ago. All original. It’s my first time moving a machine, holy crap are they heavy! Just fit inside my dad’s forester too. Phew can’t wait to get it all setup! First mods recommendations?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Geteos:

Went and picked up a JP today from an estate sale. Looks like a HUO machine as the person bought it with the house 10 years ago. All original. It’s my first time moving a machine, holy crap are they heavy! Just fit inside my dad’s forester too. Phew can’t wait to get it all setup! First mods recommendations?

Great first pin, it was mine as well. It’s big I think heavier than your average pin. Two great diy mods are lighting the back of the playfield and lighting the Trex scoop.

#22 5 years ago

Congrats. Great first pin!

#23 5 years ago

Nice job it’s a great game. Ironically it was our first dmd pin in our house. Wish we still had it. Have fun with it

#24 5 years ago

Good choice. I was just gonna say to not limit your options. New pins come with quite the sticker shock nowadays so I always recommend people start out with games like Flash, Meteor, Firepower, Space Shuttle, Pinbot, etc. JP is a fine choice though. Best of luck to you.

#25 5 years ago

Yea, I was close to breaking my budget looking at NIB machines, but after reading all ththe comments I felt that getting 2 machines would be a better choice. I paid 3500cdn for the JP, so now I have 3500 left for the 2nd machine. Also now I’m not in a rush to buy since I have a machine to play and work on.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Geteos:

First mods recommendations?

New batteries
    New pinballs.
    New rubbers and clean the playfield.

#27 5 years ago

There's an add on here right now for 2 NIB Metallica and aerosmith pro for 8500 for the pair

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-starting-out-what-should-i-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.