8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jodini
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I recently picked up a Williams Fast Ball pitch & bat and thought I'd share, whilst picking the brains of the knowledgeable on how to fix a few things. I'm sure a schematic would help me along, but finding one is probably a stretch.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

First thing that doesn't work are the strikes, but I should mention that I don't really know the strikes work. Is it if you don't hit any targets and the ball rolls back to the out hole will it count a strike? I noticed on the strike unit that the wires have been disconnected to the coils. Is it common for strikes to be disconnected in the game? I noticed on the back there's also a "strike adjust" switch.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    The next thing is that the pitches don't seem to be any different from one to the other. I see the magnets on the bottom of the playfield but not sure if they do anything?

The innings don't change, when I hit the start button (twice if I want 2 players), I get one inning of play and that's it. Perhaps there's an adjustment for that?

Lastly, the catchers. They do work, but often times they'll work randomly even if I don't hit any of the two catcher buttons. Is that normal?

#2 8 years ago

I don't have one of those, but I am full of comments...
    I believe, if you have a strike adjust, it may count when the ball falls back without hitting anything??
    it has to acknowledge a strike. it may have had a problem, and someone disconnected the wires to troubleshoot.
    the magnets shud cause the ball to curve etc. innings not changin sounds like a gummed up step unit, same for the catchers?
    you may need to just go through the machine and tighten/clean/adjust switch stacks.
    clean/lube steps, etc.
    all your problems suggest an old machine in need of some tlc.
    If you go through everything, I bet it will function as it shud... for the most part anyway.
    nice find.

#3 8 years ago

Love the comments Dr, keep 'em coming!

With the innings, is it normal to play 3 innings? All stepper units function as normal. When I got the game, the only unit that was gummed was the mixer unit, and has been cleaned and reassembled.

I'll reconnect the wires to the strike stepper coils and see what happens. The magnets aren't doing anything as far as I can tell. I think a general clean is in order on most of the switches.

This thing is super wide, wider than a gottlieb circus for sure!

#4 8 years ago

I believe 3 innings is correct??? 9 would take a long time.
    What is the mixer unit?
    Test the coils on the strike stepper, make sure no shorted coils. then reconnect, don't want to cause another problem.
    The magnets shud activate depending on the pitch selected. there shud be a pitch unit that may control the mags. not sure.
    When you find what controls them, there will be large contacts that prob need some tlc too.
    On the strike balls rolling back down, does the score motor run when the ball lands at the lowest point of the field?
    If there is a step unit in the head that moves the runners, be sure to go through it too, it can cause a lot of things to not work

#5 8 years ago

Cool game! Not sure if this video helps at all, but I found it:

I love the fact that those inserts pop up to catch the ball...very cool! Hope this thing has a bell or something....

#6 8 years ago

Ok, some progress last night. The strike unit is now functional. The step up coil was burned out. I realize the reason for this was because from time to time the ball will hang up in the out hole, keeping the outhole switch closed, leaving the coil energized. Put in a new coil, and adjusted the out hole switch. Good to go.

Seems like sometimes it starts on strike 2, and strike one light doesn't work. A little more investigating there.

The innings, I do realize there are only 3, but the games only last 1 inning. I can't find a setting anywhere to adjust that, so I'm guessing there's something wrong there.

The pitches… the bottom magnet does work, but by the time the ball gets to the magnet, the magnet turns off. So, I'm not sure if the pitches are slower than they're supposed to be? The upper magnet shows the same resistance, so I'm guessing it works. Perhaps some cleaning of the relays are in order. Good fun!

jodini, I have seen the vid. Thank you! and yes, there is a bell when you get a run in.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from dbeeson:

The innings, I do realize there are only 3, but the games only last 1 inning. I can't find a setting anywhere to adjust that, so I'm guessing there's something wrong there.

Maybe it's a rained out game!

Hope you make a video of yours (fixed or not) soon!
    Joe

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-scored-a-1969-williams-fast-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.