Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by snowy_owl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What did you think of Solo?”

• Loved it! 49 votes
      30%
    • Liked it 49 votes
      30%
    • It was ok 43 votes
      26%
    • Hated it! 25 votes
      15%

(166 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSEpKUlV4AAdAeq (resized).jpg
    solo04 (resized).jpg
    solo (resized).JPG
    A Solo Star Wars story (resized).jpg
    8F64B0C4-B210-4223-A3D1-DB61FDC46772 (resized).jpeg
    ted star wars solo F (resized).jpg
    There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago

I ate it and saw some too

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

Why didn’t the Enfys Nest people just take one of the other train cars?
    There seemed like plenty to go around (didn’t catch them staying that was the only one with the coaxium).

yeah, that kinda seemed a little off. And two, it seemed a little too far spread apart that I forgot that they were the ones who screwed up the heist when they came back at the end.

#103 5 years ago

You could not pick every movie, after all that’s what it is a “movie”. I thought it was a great addition to the Star Wars legacy. Best movie since Empire IMO.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

In order to be a "human cannibal" you have to be human. It's like saying grizzly bears are human cannibals... they're not.

Thanks, I know the definition of a cannibal. I'm pretty sure everyone understood perfectly what I meant.

Quoted from Astropin:

Han wasn't joking when he mentioned "Wookies" tearing people's arms out when they lose...watch it again.

But if we're going to descend to pedantry, it isn't correct to put quotes around "Wookies" either.

I don't need to watch it again. I've seen original movie a stupid number of times. So you think Solo was trying to be helpful to C3PO, warning him that Wookies were so dangerous and unpredictable they'd tear people's arms out of their sockets over losing a game? Care to explain why you think so?

Because Solo never liked C3PO, not from the first moment they met. He was taking the piss out of C3PO, trying to shut him up and keep him from needling his buddy Chewie.

Chewie was a chicken shit. That was a big part of his charm. Solo goes "c'mere ya big coward" when Chewie runs away from the trash compactor monster! Chewie doesn't shoot a SINGLE PERSON in the original Star Wars. Chewie runs away, over and over. He shoots out cameras, not people. Because he's a chicken shit. Go back and watch it.

Partly that's because Wookies, according to official canon, are an enslaved race. They've become enslaved because as a people they /don't/ rip people's arms out of their sockets, or they wouldn't be very good slaves, would they? If the Wookies were badasses like, say, the human Maori or Thai, they'd never allow themselves to be conquered.

I don't expect ordinary people to notice or care about these details. But I do expect the writers to. Unfortunately the writers literally lost the plot, and the result is in the box office.

Quoted from Astropin:

You don't have to look at it like they changed your favorite characters. More like the characters eventually change into the characters you love.

Sure, I can easily close my eyes and play make believe about how Solo and Chewie may have changed over the years. But my hope was that I wouldn't have to do that, and that's what I'm so disappointed about. At least we're not going to get a sequel (thank god) because the film is tanking at the box office. It's the worst performing Star Wars ever, and the worst Star Wars ever, which is saying a lot.

#105 5 years ago

I saw it with my 9 year old son. I loved it, he was kind of meh. He didn't get a lot of the references to the older movies, he was just looking for starfighter battles and laser blasts. Well worth seeing imho.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Thanks, I know the definition of a cannibal. I'm pretty sure everyone understood perfectly what I meant.

But if we're going to descend to pedantry, it isn't correct to put quotes around "Wookies" either.
    I don't need to watch it again. I've seen original movie a stupid number of times. So you think Solo was trying to be helpful to C3PO, warning him that Wookies were so dangerous and unpredictable they'd tear people's arms out of their sockets over losing a game? Care to explain why you think so?
    Because Solo never liked C3PO, not from the first moment they met. He was taking the piss out of C3PO, trying to shut him up and keep him from needling his buddy Chewie.
    Chewie was a chicken shit. That was a big part of his charm. Solo goes "c'mere ya big coward" when Chewie runs away from the trash compactor monster! Chewie doesn't shoot a SINGLE PERSON in the original Star Wars. Chewie runs away, over and over. He shoots out cameras, not people. Because he's a chicken shit. Go back and watch it.
    Partly that's because Wookies, according to official canon, are an enslaved race. They've become enslaved because as a people they /don't/ rip people's arms out of their sockets, or they wouldn't be very good slaves, would they? If the Wookies were badasses like, say, the human Maori or Thai, they'd never allow themselves to be conquered.
    I don't expect ordinary people to notice or care about these details. But I do expect the writers to. Unfortunately the writers literally lost the plot, and the result is in the box office.

Sure, I can easily close my eyes and play make believe about how Solo and Chewie may have changed over the years. But my hope was that I wouldn't have to do that, and that's what I'm so disappointed about. At least we're not going to get a sequel (thank god) because the film is tanking at the box office. It's the worst performing Star Wars ever, and the worst Star Wars ever, which is saying a lot.

My take was always that Chewie was a badass that had a fear of little creatures. Like an super powerful elephant that can be scared of mice. He was obviously no coward considering the many brave things he did. But clearly he was scared of the dianoga and I think the mynocks. But his Achilles heal definitely made him more charming.

Just my two cents.

#107 5 years ago

I liked it. I thought it was better than TLJ and probably on par with Rogue One. I am a pretty big Star Wars fan and was put off by TLJ so I waited a few weeks to see the movie but it was better than expected. I thought the cast was fine and had a real chemistry. I won't see it a second time in the theater but might buy it when it comes out.

#108 5 years ago

I wanted to like it but I thought it was boring.

#109 5 years ago

It had the worst box office performance of any starwars movie. The quit place made more money than this. I seen Solo twice and the second time was even worse. Will not even break 200 million.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from mzhulk:

It had the worst box office performance of any starwars movie. The quit place made more money than this. I seen Solo twice and the second time was even worse. Will not even break 200 million.

solo (resized).JPGsolo (resized).JPG
    #111 5 years ago
    Quoted from mzhulk:

I once saw Episode 1 a second time in the theater, in an attempt
    To prove to myself that my initial impression that it was terrible was incorrect.

I now longer go to a theater a second time to watch a bad Star Wars movie. In fact, in several cases since episode 1 - and I expect much more often in the future - I don’t even bother with an initial visit to the theater to see a bad Star Wars movie.

1 week later
    #112 5 years ago

The “Star Wars” galaxy just shrank.

Lucasfilm has put plans “on hold” for more spinoff films like “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” Collider reported Wednesday.

Citing “sources with knowledge of the situation,” the entertainment news site said the franchise will laser in on “Star Wars: Episode IX” and the next trilogy that springs from the original core of movies.

That means reported plans for Obi-Wan and Boba Fett movies are apparently cosmic dust for now, according to Collider.

The “Star Wars” trend of its films making money hand over fist came to a somewhat crashing end with the release of “Solo: A Star Wars Story.”

The spinoff had a disappointing three-day opening weekend total of $84.4 million, and suffered a 65 percent plummet in box office the following weekend, according to Box Office Mojo. The film came in fourth in the latest ticket-sales list, and has made $196 million domestically and $147 million internationally as of June 19.

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” raked in a relatively healthy $155 million on its opening weekend when it premiered in December 2016, and has earned more than $1 billion worldwide.

#113 5 years ago

Too bad. Just saw it again and liked it more the second time. Really want a sequel.

#114 5 years ago

I enjoyed the movie and thought it was fun. I liked the references to the original trilogy, a lot of things make more sense now. What I disliked was once again Disney adding political agenda elements to a Star Wars movie. The whole Lando being "into" his droid and the droid going on and on about equal rights for droids was political messaging. I think it's great to talk about those topics in the news, amongst others, on Twitter, etc as it's important but jamming it down people's throats in a Star Wars movie made those scenes feel off. Besides that I thought the new Solo and Lando actors were excellent and really enjoyed the surprise cameo at the end. Overall I thought Solo felt more like Star Wars then The Last Jedi did.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What I disliked was once again Disney adding political agenda elements to a Star Wars movie. The whole Lando being "into" his droid and the droid going on and on about equal rights for droids was political messaging. .

Honestly you should probably just stop watching stuff.

#116 5 years ago

Solo was the best SW movie since ESB IMO. Could care less what episode IX brings, they left the original series in a pile of shit.

#117 5 years ago

Saw it again for the second time tonight, and liked it even more than the first time.
    Story of how he starts out is great. Don’t know why it did bad at the box office, but it wasn’t because of me.

#118 5 years ago

I haven't seen it yet , but I think 2 movies a year is too much for the Star Wars franchise . 6 months is not long enough for me to forget how bad The Last Jedi was .

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Don’t know why it did bad at the box office

Star Wars is big. The history of the franchise showcases big sounding space opera type story lines. On it's face "Solo" or "Boba" or ?"Ackbar" just sound smaller and more boring. That, and the whole, too many movies too quickly thing. Star Wars historically came out every ?3 years or so and it built up some anticipation. You knew this was going to happen as soon as Lucas sold it to disney...that first year there was an explosion of merchandising and "tie-ins"...cars that are somehow linked to Star Wars...wtf? Stupid plan. Overload. Killing it. Burning people out.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Star Wars is big. The history of the franchise showcases big sounding space opera type story lines. On it's face "Solo" or "Boba" or ?"Ackbar" just sound smaller and more boring. That, and the whole, too many movies too quickly thing. Star Wars historically came out every ?3 years or so and it built up some anticipation. You knew this was going to happen as soon as Lucas sold it to disney...that first year there was an explosion of merchandising and "tie-ins"...cars that are somehow linked to Star Wars...wtf? Stupid plan. Overload. Killing it. Burning people out.

I remember last year getting a head of lettuce and it had a Yoda sticker on it and seeing Porg stickers on bananas...Disney is going to try and get every penny they can out of the Star Wars name.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I remember last year getting a head of lettuce and it had a Yoda sticker on it and seeing Porg stickers on bananas...Disney is going to try and get every penny they can out of the Star Wars name.

While destroying it . Episodes 7 and 8 are by far the worst Star Wars movies ever made . I liked Rogue one though , these side stories might be the only thing that can save the franchise .

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

While destroying it . Episodes 7 and 8 are by far the worst Star Wars movies ever made . I liked Rogue one though , these side stories might be the only thing that can save the franchise .

I much prefer 7 to 1, 2, or 3.... they just really sh!t the bed and drove off the cliff with 8.

#123 5 years ago

S

#124 5 years ago

I like them all. Honestly. Some more than others, but it all adds to the universe and it makes me happy. But to each their own.

#125 5 years ago

Loved Solo!
    Rogue One was Great!
    Didn't care for #7 and I never went to #8.

Added over 6 years ago:

Well I just saw the Last Jedi and thought it was great!. I don't know why every ones hate on Luke's role. I didn't think he was disgraced at all WTF!!!!

#126 5 years ago

So far I've been thinking that these latest Disney Star Wars have all been mediocre. 7 & 8. Rogue & Solo. I really enjoyed 1, 2, & 3 when they came out. Watched them in the theater, and watched them when they came out on DVD. But haven't really watched them since.

A few weeks back I decided to re-watch 1-6. And it turns out, it's me, not the movies. I am totally burnt out on them. Even the beloved Empire.

So who knows. Maybe I'd really love the new ones if I hadn't already watched all the other Star Wars 100 times before?

4 weeks later
    #127 5 years ago

Pleasantly surprised just like seeing Rogue.
    Solo was decent and enjoyable... My first ideas as to why are:

* Solo was not insulting me with bad Disney humor.
    * Solo was a new fresh story, instead of a remake.
    * Solo had a reasonable bad guy, that you could relate to.
    * Solo had no soft cute little pokemon characters to sell to kids later.
    * Acting was surprisingly good... The Game of thrones woman and Woody H. were very good in their roles. The new Solo guy was just fine...
    * Storyline was linear, and I could follow it. I didn't feel like the director wanted to tell 6 stories at once. (this is a big deal)
    * I really liked how they treated a robot, and that a human cared about saving a robot. That was neat.
    * I wasn't raising my arms going "WTF" every 5 minutes in this one...

I can't say the same for #7 or #8 at all...: They were "ok", "insulting", "remakes", and "Kylo Ren" is a wanna-be bad guy that I cannot relate to, or give two or even three shits about.

-mof

#128 5 years ago

I saw SOLO, but she looked more like 'a new HOPE'.

solo04 (resized).jpgsolo04 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #129 5 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Loved Solo!
    Rogue One was Great!
    Didn't care for #7 and I never went to #8.

Added today: Well I just saw the Last Jedi and thought it was great!. I don't know why every ones hates on Luke's role. I didn't think he was disgraced at all WTF!!!!

#130 5 years ago

Not very good . . . . absolutely zero magic between the characters

#131 5 years ago
    DSEpKUlV4AAdAeq (resized).jpgDSEpKUlV4AAdAeq (resized).jpg
    #132 5 years ago

I thought it was kind of a dumb plot but I have to say that it could have been a lot worse.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-saw-solo-what-did-you-think/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.