Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by snowy_owl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What did you think of Solo?”

• Loved it! 49 votes
      30%
    • Liked it 49 votes
      30%
    • It was ok 43 votes
      26%
    • Hated it! 25 votes
      15%

(166 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSEpKUlV4AAdAeq (resized).jpg
    solo04 (resized).jpg
    solo (resized).JPG
    A Solo Star Wars story (resized).jpg
    8F64B0C4-B210-4223-A3D1-DB61FDC46772 (resized).jpeg
    ted star wars solo F (resized).jpg

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

I thought it was meh and forgettable. It had a couple of moments that made me think of how great it could have been. I thought the cast did a great job with a very mediocre script. It was not nearly as horrible as TLJ but it also was not enough to restore my interest in the franchise. TLJ is the first Star Wars film I did not buy for home viewing, the trend will continue as I see no reason to ever watch Solo again. I thought they messed up Hans character at times he felt more like Edward from Twilight than Han Solo. It didn't sting as much because after TLJ you just expect it, I thought the Lando stuff with his droid was also very weak and completely out of place.

#52 5 years ago

I totally agree with your post as the Marvel Universe has way too many movies out but unfortunately the paying public doesn't which is why they will keep on pushing them out.

As for SW there may be very serious implications for this franchise if people stop going and you may not see many more of these spin-offs. For me I would hate to see that, much like Star Trek where they stop making them for a number of years.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

I am tired of the marvel movies .Way too many movies , I gave up trying to keep up with all the marvel movies a few years ago . Don't really care if I ever see another one . The 2 new main storyline Star Wars movies have been horrible in my opinion but I will still check out Solo .

#53 5 years ago

Enjoyed it. Good movie, I have been a solo fan from day one. The falcon is the best "Hunk of Junk". Time line has some issues. With Solo being 30ish in a New Hope and looked to be 20ish in this one, Darth Maul was dead 30 years before New Hope. Could not tell, was he put back together? My son said he noticed a wide belt.

#54 5 years ago

I know they brought Maul back in the animated series. It was like the beginning of Star Wars damage control, Lucas killed off an awesome character way too soon. Him being in Solo I think is just a set up so they can have him in the Kenobi movie. If they stick to the story line Han will never see anything to do with the Force in any of the spin offs. I have to admit I am excited to see Ewan back with Maul as the villian. It will be hard to make the time line work as Ewan seems to young.

#55 5 years ago

I found the movie enjoyable, but a bit more nostalgic, as I saw with my wife, and our big date was Star Wars, the first.
    It did feel dated compared to Marvel...especially the music score.
    Ron Howard did a commendable job jumping in on director. Solid 7 or 8.

#56 5 years ago

Saw Solo last night in D-Box seats and liked it (including the parts where my popcorn was bouncing out of the bag). In terms of fun and entertainment, I'd rank the top 10 Star Wars movies like this: The original triology was great. The standalone movies Rogue One and Solo were good. The prequel triology was marginal. The sequel movies (The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi) were disappointing. I've kinda forgotten about Clone Wars. Might need to give that one another look.

#57 5 years ago

I just saw it and thought it was really good. The visuals were great and actors were spot on.
    Look forward to seeing this in 3D as the Falcon chase scene would be cool to see.

#58 5 years ago

Just saw Solo, it was ok. I grew up with the original trilogy and this is just not quite as good. Something just felt “off”. If you love Star Wars, I think you will enjoy it, just don’t have high expectations.

#59 5 years ago

Went into Solo expecting to be disappointed. Turned out much better than I expected. Great story, lots of twists & turns. Gets thumbs up from me. And I am a huge fan who became severely jaded after TLJ & how they disgraced Luke Skywalker. I think Kathleen Kennedy is ruining the franchise, and people should yell “you suck” whenever they spot Rain Johnson on the street.

**Spoilers***

I think they did a great job explaining the Solo backstory lore. The way Han met Chewy was great, the games of Sabacc, the “fair-and-square way” Lando lost the falcon, the dice, the Kessle run in 12 parsecs, how the new shiny falcon got trashed, Solo’s iconic blaster, how he finds his way to Tatooine, Chewy making exact same wrong move on Falcon’s video chess, the way Lando mispronouces Hans name, etc. Even included “The Maw” & the Black holes around Kessle from the expanded universe. Even spotted Manolorian armor & a reference to a fan favorite bounty hunter from clone wars. Cool new stormtroopers. And obviously the super cool unexpected reveal of THAT character at the end. There was no mention of the force & that was refreshing in a Star Wars movie. These types of gritty films can work. Damn, writing this makes me want to go see it again.

That said, Erenreich was not the best. Did not portray the essence of Harrison Ford at all. He is the main flaw of the whole movie. I suppose I will grow to accept him over time, but I wish they would have cast Anthony Ingruber instead. What a missed opportunity. Glover on the other hand nailed Lando. Voice was spot on. I thought he would be terrible. Glad I was wrong. Woody & Clark had great performances, and held the movie together throughout.

The bad? Lando’s robot was grating, annoying, and a device to push agendas that don’t belong in Star Wars movies. Jar-Jar Binks level bad. The scene suggesting Lando wants relations with a robot should have been cut completely. Of course there was an unexpected role gender swap in the film. This is what you get with Disney Star Wars, but the degree of SJW influence on Solo was overhyped IMO. Thankfully Lando did not grab Han’s ass.

I love these “A Star Wars Story” movies, because they scratch the itch for super fans. They focus on the things we want to see, and fill in backstory of beloved characters & historic events. I’m looking forward to seeing the Obiwan & Boba Fett movies. Boba delivering Solo to Jabba the Hutt? Maul hunting down Old man Kenobi to get revenge? Yes please!

The low grosses on Solo are clearly backlash from fans for the backstabbing we got from TLJ. For the first time, we didn’t show up in masses for a Star Wars movie opening. It’s not “Star Wars fatigue”. There is no such thing to superfans. This is a clear message to Disney, and specifically Kathleen Kennedy & her bullshit agenda. Fans don’t want it.

Money talks. I think Solo will do better at the box office over the coming weeks, as word of mouth will generally be positive. But the damage is done. Solo will not hit its expectations. Kennedy is to blame for the troubled production, and the general backlash of the new films. Hopefully Kennedy gets fired after Episode 9 gets released.

#60 5 years ago

I’m not sure why everyone thinks likes character got betrayed in tjl. This kinda sums it up for me:

https://goo.gl/images/3caopa

#61 5 years ago

Oh finally seeing Chewy tearing peoples arms off was outstanding too.

#62 5 years ago

Loved ^^^

#63 5 years ago

I just don't get this narrative that somehow this is an underappreciated comeback from TLJ and it's relative failure is due to fan backlash.

Outside of the prequels this is definetly the worst Star Wars movie ever made. It's boring, poorly cast, and really has no reason to exist outside of keeping the production line moving. The interesting "backstory" stuff could have been told in 10 minutes and almost all of the "Han lore" was better left to the imagination from the crumbs they had given us previously. This is a real problem when they take a supporting character and try to flesh it out to a feature movie - and I gather that's what they plan on doing from here on out. I mean...a Boba Fett movie?!

Rogue One was a ton more interesting and a much better movie.

It's better than nothing I guess, has some moments, but I'm not buying it. Obviously neither is the general public.

#64 5 years ago

Honestly would have rather seen a movie dedicated to droid/slavery liberation.

This was ok. The first third felt like a slog with a bunch of disjointed scenes though it picked up a bit after that. Han was the least charismatic character in this film, which is a disappointment considering that's Harrison Ford's thing. Lando was good. Reference to bad playstation was good. Laughed at Solo's response to Lando's "I hate you." Still, this 2 hour film reminded me of the 10 minute prologue to The Last Crusade where we see Indy become the character you love in a short flashback. Except River Phoenix had charisma.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hopefully Kennedy gets fired after Episode 9 gets released.

Shes the named producer for episode 9 scheduled for theaters next year.

Her resume is impressive.....what was in the film, or any of her others that leaves you with your perspective?

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Shes the named producer for episode 9 scheduled for theaters next year.
    Her resume is impressive.....what was in the film, or any of her others that leaves you with your perspective?

Not sure if this is his concern, but there's a shockingly large amount of people upset about women in film depicted as anything other than an object of affection, mother, or a princess. Someone using the term "sjw" in this context is generally a dog whistle. Can't say I share their opinion, like what's wrong with a lady lead or villain or helpful ally or whatever the story calls for?

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Not sure if this is his concern, but there's a shockingly large amount of people upset about women in film depicted as anything other than an object of affection, mother, or a princess. Someone using the term "sjw" in this context is generally a dog whistle. Can't say I share their opinion, like what's wrong with a lady lead or villain or helpful ally or whatever the story calls for?

I agree that women have been typecast for the most part for a very long time. The only thing I take issue with is this huge correction in one fell swoop to the modern movie business. It feels like anything with a female lead character or is deemed a female story is green lit and thrown 30-50 million dollars to be made whether it's good or not. I don't like bad movies, who ever is in them no matter what their gender.

For that matter, I'm not remotely convinced that the boys club of male led production companies in Hollywood has somehow seen the light as much as they are pandering to what they must do given the vibe in mainstream culture right now. Hopefully when things calm down, the diversity will stick and we can just get back to quality storytelling and putting out a good product.

#68 5 years ago

It was OK but seems like its pretty weak to have this story line now after what 40 years of star wars .I remember seeing the first one on the edge of my seat now it just puts me to sleep .

#69 5 years ago

Christ we are back on the woman/ Men's Rights star wars thing?

I saw no SJW agenda in Solo. Or maybe that was during the parts where I fell asleep.

#70 5 years ago

movies are going to crap in general .
    I too am Super hero'ed out and could care less about another Star Wars movie since most of the new ones suck.
    This was no exception. Another cash grab . Cash grabs is becoming the norm on movie's ,hobbies,clothes and anything else , I mean have you seen the price of that Supreme Pinball machine?
    Supreme the clothes line not that it is a SUPREME machine with cool modes or toys ,it is just a boring red and white machine from a clothes company / hell The Domino's or PAbst blue ribbon game looks better but are way less in $$$ than this crazy stripped game .
    Opps back to SOLO / It is for kids and no longer a serious Sci fi movie for adults that carries the legacy for fans /
    Didn't think the Chewie meets Han part was that memorable or long enough and was the most important thing in this movie and was done in minutes .
    So be prepared for more of the same let downs /
    I have seen better scripts and scenes in video games and by no means is it edge of your seat viewing any more .
    Train Heist was by far the best action sequence in the movie but not worth the price of admission sad to say . Was a big fan of SW now just a big SW Fan of Old also living in a swamp hiding , waiting for the Next Jedi to save the series !

#71 5 years ago

Ok i never saw a full star wars movie....I know. Can I start with this one and work my way back? Is that even an option?

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from mtdouble:

Ok i never saw a full star wars move....I know. Can I start with this one and work my way back? Is that even an option?

Pointless. Watch the 1977-1983 movies and you are pretty much set. Watching them in some kind of chronological order will do NOTHING for you and likely detract from the experience. Some of the other movies are so bad you might not even have the urge to make it to the good ones "in order."

If you are really into it after watching those three original movies go from there.

#73 5 years ago

ok.Can this be watched as a stand alone movie or will it make no sense?

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

movies are going to crap in general .

I think we are just getting older, jaded and bitter. Certainly for me the movie excitement I had as a child has long gone. As a kid you were excited to go with your friends / family and seeing something on the large screen sharing popcorn and nibs.

As an adult, I get frustrated about the parking at the mall, line ups at the theatre, $12.00 tickets and $10 popcorn. Then a seat on the side of the theatre near the front. Followed by another 35 minutes of commercials.... what an experience.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from mtdouble:

ok.Can this be watched as a stand alone movie or will it make no sense?

Yes it could be.

Just don't be surprised when you watch the 1977 Star Wars and keep asking yourself if this is the same character and why you bothered to go see Solo.

Quoted from mittens:

I think we are just getting older, jaded and bitter. Certainly for me the movie excitement I had as a child has long gone. As a kid you were excited to go with your friends / family and seeing something on the large screen sharing popcorn and nibs.
    As an adult, I get frustrated about the parking at the mall, line ups at the theatre, $12.00 tickets and $10 popcorn. Then a seat on the side of the theatre near the front. Followed by another 35 minutes of commercials.... what an experience.

This is of course the big problem. Star Wars was basically a kids movie - it certainly wasn't aimed at the Godfather crowd.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

I agree.....Saw this at our local theater....Quality is a bit less, but I sit in a comfy swivel chair, with a waitress and menu, and matinee yesterday for Solo was $5.
    4 people, Pizza, and a pitcher and tip was $45.... Wish there was more like this to go around....Theater packed with kids....Not sure they enjoyed it though....
    they seem to be at a faster speed.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

I think we are just getting older, jaded and bitter.

That is for sure as I am about to hit 50 .
    But I go with the same excitement I did when I was 8, hell I enjoy getting toys as much now as I was at 8 so I can not blame age for thinking the movies of today are all mostly crap

Here and there a movie comes out and I think it was great and I was excited I seen it and glad to have sat through it .
    only 4 come to mind in the last 5 years and they are Edge of Tomorrow ,Hatefull 8, Fury and Guardian's of the Galaxy the first one. And two or 3 of them are from 2014 which leaves a big gap of cash grab not important movies in between for me. And I see a lot of movie's , so much so I do not remember a lot of the one's that held no value.
    Meaning ,I did not get into them. not as invested as I was in the Star wars Universe.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is of course the big problem. Star Wars was basically a kids movie

When My Dad brought me it was only to get me out from under my moms Hand's for the day and was because he was a sci fi space Fan , so it appealed to my Dad not really me as I remember I wanted to see Smokey and the Bandit , Denied , I saw Star Wars and then became a Sci Fi Space fane that day forward . .
    I Do not think it was aimed at me because I didn't understand a lot of the Crap going on. Bar scene , Arm cut off/people choked out. Droids turned to slaves and getting hunted down like the people in the movie, to an 8 year old it was very scary proposition. Seemed more a space cowboy and indian show with space suits and robes . What got me into it was the whole space ship thing .
    Today it is for kids no doubt but before , not so much , Perhaps by The ROTJ movie it was for kids with them Ewoks put in . But before Ewoks it was a Sci Fi flick and a good one at that .

#78 5 years ago

Wrote this in another thread but in a nutshell:

Fun but unnecessary

3D sucks balls. They need to drop that tripe full stop in all films and let it die. Pointless.

#79 5 years ago

90% of 3D movies are faked these days.

And it IS dying in American but a big reason they keep doing the shit conversations is because 3D is a REQUIREMENT to get approved for China.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

90% of 3D movies are faked these days.
    And it IS dying in American but a big reason they keep doing the shit conversations is because 3D is a REQUIREMENT to get approved for China.

Absolutely right. Reverse engineering them to convert to 3D just results in too much tearing and looks terrible.

The only film I watched that deserved 3D was Gravity

#81 5 years ago

I'll see it when it comes out on digital download or Bluray. Until then, here's hoping its as good as Rouge One.

#82 5 years ago

did not know that on 3d movies .
    Great Hi Def is all you really need

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

3D is a REQUIREMENT to get approved for China.

That sux. I wish 3D would just die.

#84 5 years ago

Operating a 3D camera requires extra work for the expensive union crews on a movie. It's cheaper to hire a sweat farm in India to rotoscope after the fact.

http://realorfake3d.com/

Interesting to see how there was a peak of "real 3D" a few years after Avatar, but now it's almost all entirely fake.

Also, for those of your with a 4K Blu-Ray player:

http://realorfake4k.com/

Yup most modern movies are mastered at 2K for VFX. Your best bet are older movies scanned from 35mm negatives for real 4k.

#85 5 years ago

Worst Star Wars of the lot. Some stories don't need to be told.

I've seen all the films on opening day, including the original. I knew Solo was going to be bad going into it, and it was. Ron Howard saved it from being a total crash and burn, but he rushed in when the budget was basically blown and was forced to reshoot a bunch of scenes against green screen. It shows.

The guy who played Solo did a bit better than expected, but I expected him to suck. Lando was great. There are some funny moments. The art direction was superb.

But it was shallow, boring and predictable. Almost no time spent on actual character development (vs. the original 3).

So many lost opportunities. How did Solo learn Wookie? What was it like in the naval academy?

But did they have to make him the frickin founder of the rebellion like that? What did that add?
    Did his girlfriend have to turn out to be a Sith lord? Solo doesn't even believe in the force, but we find out his ex-girlfriend is a mistress of the dark side?
    Darth Maul? Seriously? We can't come up with a new bad guy?
    And so now the Falcon has a #meetoo 'droid that's 'part of her now' ? Really?
    I mean WTF?

So I guess they are planning a few more Solo movies, because there is no connection between the grizzled, "I'm not in it for your rebellion, sweetheart, I'm in it for ME" attitude in the original Star Wars and the "oh, you're a freckled teenage girl who wants to start a rebellion, here just take this 60 million credits I just about got killed a dozen times for... never mind you spent the entire movie trying to kill me except for the last 10."

And Chewie? I always thought the best part about Chewie was that he was actually a chicken shit - he runs away from the garbage compactor monster, won't jump down the garbage chute because it smells bad... and that Han was actually lying about the whole 'tear your arms off' thing to play up the joke. But no, come to find out he spent time, you know, chained up feasting on live people that stormtroopers threw down to him. So now Chewie is an EFFING HUMAN CANNIBAL! WHAT THE EFFING EFF! I'm sorry, that just doesn't match with his character one bit. The beast. Give me a break.

And I do not understand why they used Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clark (arguably the lead actress from the world's most popular show), and one of the leads from Westworld -- all wildly recognizable people. I just can't look at Clark without thinking Game of Thrones. The charm of Star Wars lies in using largely unknown actors. I mean why not throw in Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert Downey Jr. and Jennifer Lopez too?

At least he shot first.<sigh>

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Until then, here's hoping its as good as Rouge One.

It's not...but it's enjoyable.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

That sux. I wish 3D would just die.

Quoted from benheck:

Operating a 3D camera requires extra work for the expensive union crews on a movie. It's cheaper to hire a sweat farm in India to rotoscope after the fact.
    http://realorfake3d.com/
    Interesting to see how there was a peak of "real 3D" a few years after Avatar, but now it's almost all entirely fake.

Fake 3D can still be good. Especially with sci-fi and super hero movies. These types of movies have so much CGI post production effects content they could almost be classified as animated films. Converting these types of effects heavy films to 3D in post can produce spectacular results since all the individual source elements are usually available. Good recent rxamples are Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 and Dr Strange, all "fake" 3D but look amazing on 3D bluray.

Even though I love 3D I will rarely see it at the theater because most theaters have the brightness cranked down (extends the bulb life and save theaters money) so its not usually worth the extra money.

My home theater projector setup with active glasses looks way better than the 3D than my local cineplex. IMAX 3D looks better than regular theaters but itsexpensive. I'll just wait and buy the 3D bluray for just a little more than the price of a single IMAX ticket.

I find 2K 3D blurays are more immersive than 4K for home viewing. Unfortunately the home video business has dumped home 3D and is pushing people to buy new 4K TV's, new 4K bluray players and re-buy movies in 4K to keep the money coming in.

And I liked Solo. Can't wait for the 3D bluray.

#88 5 years ago

I liked Solo and thought it was a pretty good story. The end scene that had a connection to the Star Wars world didn’t do much for me. I couldn’t quite get the timeline right in my head for Han Solo’s age. That’s just me being too nerdy. Overall, thumbs up!

I’m 47 and saw the 1st film at age 7. I’ve seen them all. After 8 Star Wars films and two “stories” I only have e few favorites. Still, I enjoy the franchise.

I really like Ep 4 and 5 along with Rogue One and Solo. The rest were all kind of dumb. I’ll go to all of them, as I generally enjoy movies and cry nerd tears when I hear John Willams scores in these films.

As for 3D, I don’t see any of them. It started as something simple, I wear glasses and the cheap move glasses don’t fit over them. Now it’s just habit. No 3D, no 3D tv etc. Movies are already expensive enough as I usually take 3-4 of my Boys with me to the theater.

#89 5 years ago

I guess I’ve just turned into one of the old guys on the balcony of muppets.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

I guess I’ve just turned into one of the old guys on the balcony of muppets.

me too because I agree with Brijam

#91 5 years ago

Good rant and I agree the movie was a disappointment overall. Simply a cash grab.

Quoted from Brijam:

Worst Star Wars of the lot. Some stories don't need to be told.
    I've seen all the films on opening day, including the original. I knew Solo was going to be bad going into it, and it was. Ron Howard saved it from being a total crash and burn, but he rushed in when the budget was basically blown and was forced to reshoot a bunch of scenes against green screen. It shows.
    The guy who played Solo did a bit better than expected, but I expected him to suck. Lando was great. There are some funny moments. The art direction was superb.
    But it was shallow, boring and predictable. Almost no time spent on actual character development (vs. the original 3).
    So many lost opportunities. How did Solo learn Wookie? What was it like in the naval academy?
    But did they have to make him the frickin founder of the rebellion like that? What did that add?
    Did his girlfriend have to turn out to be a Sith lord? Solo doesn't even believe in the force, but we find out his ex-girlfriend is a mistress of the dark side?
    Darth Maul? Seriously? We can't come up with a new bad guy?
    And so now the Falcon has a #meetoo 'droid that's 'part of her now' ? Really?
    I mean WTF?
    So I guess they are planning a few more Solo movies, because there is no connection between the grizzled, "I'm not in it for your rebellion, sweetheart, I'm in it for ME" attitude in the original Star Wars and the "oh, you're a freckled teenage girl who wants to start a rebellion, here just take this 60 million credits I just about got killed a dozen times for... never mind you spent the entire movie trying to kill me except for the last 10."
    And Chewie? I always thought the best part about Chewie was that he was actually a chicken shit - he runs away from the garbage compactor monster, won't jump down the garbage chute because it smells bad... and that Han was actually lying about the whole 'tear your arms off' thing to play up the joke. But no, come to find out he spent time, you know, chained up feasting on live people that stormtroopers threw down to him. So now Chewie is an EFFING HUMAN CANNIBAL! WHAT THE EFFING EFF! I'm sorry, that just doesn't match with his character one bit. The beast. Give me a break.
    And I do not understand why they used Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clark (arguably the lead actress from the world's most popular show), and one of the leads from Westworld -- all wildly recognizable people. I just can't look at Clark without thinking Game of Thrones. The charm of Star Wars lies in using largely unknown actors. I mean why not throw in Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert Downey Jr. and Jennifer Lopez too?
    At least he shot first.&lt;sigh&gt;

#92 5 years ago

I know it’s an unpopular view, but I’m fairly convinced Star Wars hasn’t changed that much, the viewers have. My kids have grown up with all of the movies. They are teenagers now and can be pretty harsh. They liked Solo. For what it’s worth.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

but I’m fairly convinced Star Wars hasn’t changed that much, the viewers have. .

I disagree / The Chewie explanation from Brijam is enough to show why. He was a chicken shit in 4,5,6 now a prequel comes out and the character has changed. not us the viewers . Also Han , Not at all the same demeaner and attitude at all, he changed. Lando He has changed . Enough is enough on explanations . May as well made him a Transgender and made Han African American ! Sort of like ZOD in Krypton !! Let us change history or the past movies to bend to new world Political correctness . Make sure every nationality/gender/sexuality has a character that can portray one of the above. let us not leave anybody out as it may offend people..
    The only offence I take personal is the way they changed the original characters and in no way have I changed how I saw the past movies as I see them again from time to time and the acting is the same in the old ones but has now changed dramatically.
    Sorry your little children has not picked up on the difference's and I don't expect children to do so. Adults should be able to and do

Anyway glad a lot enjoyed it . I have not enjoyed them personally . If they want to change the universe then start from scratch and have diff characters ,do not re invent and change ones that have been seen and accepted as they WERE .
    Rant over and yes I am old school .

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

I know it’s an unpopular view, but I’m fairly convinced Star Wars hasn’t changed that much, the viewers have. My kids have grown up with all of the movies. They are teenagers now and can be pretty harsh. They liked Solo. For what it’s worth.

FWIW my 13 year old absolutely hated Solo and he’s a hard core Star Wars fan. He couldn’t wait to rip it apart after we got out of the theater.

I really enjoyed Rogue One and VII, so I’m pretty sure I can channel my inner ten year old pretty well. My wife would /definitely/ agree! If you knew how much time I spent playing video games, pinball and role playing games you’d agree too.

I hated Solo because it destroyed two characters I love.

There’s no way that Lucas and his wife thought of Chewie as a human cannibal when they conceived him. Or that when they were thinking of the backstory for Han Solo that he founded the rebellion and had a Sith Lord as an ex-girlfriend.

The problem that the Disney writers had was that Solo started Star Wars as a drug smuggler who shot first, was all about the money, and only cared about himself. To be true to Solo as a character they would have had to have made some kind of gritty story about drug smuggling.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

There’s no way that Lucas and his wife thought of Chewie as a human cannibal

In order to be a "human cannibal" you have to be human. It's like saying grizzly bears are human cannibals... they're not.

You don't have to look at it like they changed your favorite characters. More like the characters eventually change into the characters you love.

Han wasn't joking when he mentioned "Wookies" tearing people's arms out when they lose...watch it again.

#96 5 years ago

It was good, but kinda wish they'd replaced the cast, except for Glover, I didn't mind his Lando. But I love Woody, but seeing him in a Star Wars movie seemed wrong. And I just don't like the guy they got as Han. He just doesn't seem to have the charisma. Just seems like a pipsqueak trying to play Han Solo. But I also watched Hail, Caesar, and he was the worst part of that terrible movie and the taste in my mouth from that movie may still be lingering.

My Twitter review of the movie was basically, Good movie, poor casting choices.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Wookies" tearing people's arms out when they lose...watch it again

I do not think he was playing 3d Chess in that underground cell// lol

#98 5 years ago

I am surprised by the voting??? I just got back and thought it was great! Granted I had very low expectations, but it came together nicely and I thought the acting and plot was strong. It beat Last Jedi by a mile.

#99 5 years ago

Why didn’t the Enfys Nest people just take one of the other train cars?

There seemed like plenty to go around (didn’t catch them staying that was the only one with the coaxium).

#100 5 years ago

Just got back from seeing Solo, took my 9 year old son. Loved it!!!

The story kept me intrigued from start to finish, thought it was fantastic, characters were interesting and the acting was on point.

Big thumbs up

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-saw-solo-what-did-you-think/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.