(Topic ID: 188777)

Just Saw La La Land-(potential spoilers)

By Azmodeus

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by romulusx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 6 years ago

I watched la la land for the first time a few days ago. I am a la transplant from Detriot, but been in Orange County CA since 90. I don't like musicals much. Maybe rocky horror.

LLD did hit it out of the park on atleast 2 levels. Probably 120. I found many small details to be a wink to me. Many.
(For instance even just the opening scene where everyone is stuck in traffic. We have all been there in la, maybe everywhere. But that particular area thousands and thousands of la residents have been stuck right there, maybe more like millions)

The movie was made for you if you live in la OC or anywhere near Hollywood. It astounds me the level of detail and love put into it. I like music but don't love jazz. I probably appreciate jazz. I'm also a romantic. I thought it was very good and might very well be my favorite musical. I have never even been to Griffith Observatory, going there soon now.

Emma stone is charming. Ryan gosling is not offensive, It definitely worked for me.

I hope you all enjoyed it too.

#2 6 years ago

Was a fun movie to see with my wife. If folks don't like musicals I think they might be a little dead on the inside

#3 6 years ago

The first half, imo, was pretty bad, and hard to take seriously. It was like Broadway on film, instead of music and song integrated into a movie, it felt like they were obligate to just put it in (opening scene). The singing was sub-par, and the dance just didn't flow with the movie well. Studio recorded singing, dancing just for the sake of dancing, etc. The second half, however, was a completely different movie. The singing and dancing were well integrated within the movie, as part of it, not just a "let have a dance number for poos and grins." The singing was done on-film, which makes a huge difference. The theatrics weren't just thrown in there for the sake of throwing in.

With that said, if they would have made the entire movie like they did the second half, it would have been an excellent movie.

#4 6 years ago

I found to be kind of weak as a musical. It's definitely not Damien Chazelle's best movie. That would be Whiplash.

La La Land was an OK movie. It's kind of sappy and pretentious but I enjoyed it. The City of Stars song was catchy and stuck in my head. I'm still not sure why it won so many awards. I guess because most voters live in LA and industry people love movies about the industry.

Of the Oscar nominated movies I thought Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge were better.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Studio recorded singing

I think I prefer musicals that way. 90% of musicals over the years were made like that (completely made up number).

Otherwise you get Les Miserable which I works for that movie but wouldn't want for every one.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I found to be kind of weak as a musical. It's definitely not Damien Chazelle's best movie. That would be Whiplash.
La La Land was an OK movie. It's kind of sappy and pretentious but I enjoyed it. The City of Stars song was catchy and stuck in my head. I'm still not sure why it won so many awards. I guess because most voters live in LA and industry people love movies about the industry.
Of the Oscar nominated movies I thought Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge were better.

I almost had a heart attach in the last 15 minutes of whiplash. I really enjoyed it.

#7 6 years ago

La La Land was ok,but as far as best movie of the year?
Manchester by the Sea #1 Hell or High Water #2
Somebody explain to me how Moonlight won best movie!

#8 6 years ago

Best movie of the year was John Wick 2

Not too much singing but a lot of dancing around, blood.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

LLD did hit it out of the park on atleast 2 levels. Probably 120. I found many small details to be a wink to me. Many.
(For instance even just the opening scene where everyone is stuck in traffic. We have all been there in la, maybe everywhere. But that particular area thousands and thousands of la residents have been stuck right there, maybe more like millions)
The movie was made for you if you live in la OC or anywhere near Hollywood.

Yeah yeah it's Hollywood circle jerk to itself with a whole "White Jazz" narrative just thrown in for shits and giggles. I try not to see any movie that has a chance of showing Emma Stones horrific face in an extreme Close-up

Quoted from romulusx:

Somebody explain to me how Moonlight won best movie!

Because your 2 picks were never in the running. LaLaLand was 2nd in line but since they just gave Birdman, another Hollywood vs. NY Broadway double coast to coast circle jerk, best pic the other year they couldn't do it again.
Speaking of horrible Emma Stone ECUs...

#10 6 years ago

Oh hell I just thought they should give it to the best movie,silly me

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-saw-la-la-land-potential-spoilers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.