(Topic ID: 9608)

Just repaired my FIRST circuit board. I feel GREAT!

By Blackbeard

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

panavise.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackbeard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Got into this hobby a few months ago. Have never handled a soldering iron etc.

Well, the bottom sigments have been out on flash. I narrowed it down to the resistors on the master display. (thanks Clay). One of those resistors looked burned and didn't test anything. I said what the hell, i'll try to remove it and replace.

Went to the shack, bought the .022 solder as told, the wick, and the resistors. Took me all of 15 mins to pull the old one, clean up the old solder via the wick, and replace with the new. And it works.

Total confidence builder. Just had to share!

#4 12 years ago

The feeling is great. And I'm learning so much. I'm a lawyer in my other life so this is all completely foreign to me.

It was hard keeping my hand still while doing this. I was a tad nervous for some reason.

#6 12 years ago

I do think I owe you Robert. Anytime!

#10 12 years ago

Thanks fellas. Truly a satisfying feeling.

#14 12 years ago

The guy in that video sounds like Clive from coin op cauldron.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Yeah let me see you flick your WMS MPU board

Was thinking the same.

#19 12 years ago

Did it with my 40 watt iron. The part I found most difficult was removing the burnt resistor. Everytime I'd heat up the back side, id drop the iron and grab my pliers to grab the resistor and pull, but by that time it would have cooled off. Those helping hand clips must be pretty helpful.

#25 12 years ago

I thought about that Jalpert, but I had some lousy wire cutters that couldn't get into the resistor well enough.

I think this weekend I'll reflow the solder joints on my gorgar's cpu as those displays are acting up too.. and i think it's cracked solder joints.

Im feeling brave.

#28 12 years ago

The new issue i'm having on gorgar is the 1st digit being strange on the first player display and also player 3 (i believe..).

When I jiggle the connectors on the top of the cpu, the problem disappears and then reappears. I'm guessing either cracked joints or the pins need recrimping.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackbeard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-repaired-my-first-circuit-board-i-feel-great?tu=blackbeard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.