(Topic ID: 9608)

Just repaired my FIRST circuit board. I feel GREAT!

By Blackbeard

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

panavise.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Got into this hobby a few months ago. Have never handled a soldering iron etc.

Well, the bottom sigments have been out on flash. I narrowed it down to the resistors on the master display. (thanks Clay). One of those resistors looked burned and didn't test anything. I said what the hell, i'll try to remove it and replace.

Went to the shack, bought the .022 solder as told, the wick, and the resistors. Took me all of 15 mins to pull the old one, clean up the old solder via the wick, and replace with the new. And it works.

Total confidence builder. Just had to share!

#2 12 years ago

WooHoo - Congrats~!~! It's a great feeling when you bring an old pin back to life.

#3 12 years ago

Good Job!...You'll be replacing 40 pin PIAs before you know it

#4 12 years ago

The feeling is great. And I'm learning so much. I'm a lawyer in my other life so this is all completely foreign to me.

It was hard keeping my hand still while doing this. I was a tad nervous for some reason.

#5 12 years ago

Lawyer....Good to know where to send my legal questions

Always say the best people to have in your family....A doctor, a lawyer and a plumber

#6 12 years ago

I do think I owe you Robert. Anytime!

#7 12 years ago

I was hoping when I saw this thread that it was Blackbeard that was posting it. Good job and congrats!

#8 12 years ago

It's fun to fix stuff. Good job Blackbeard!

#9 12 years ago

Hey way to go Blackbeard.

It is a good feeling isn't it.

I would suggest you pick up a solder sucker at RS as well. Works much better than the braid.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062745

You'll be repair maniac in no time!

#10 12 years ago

Thanks fellas. Truly a satisfying feeling.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Thanks fellas. Truly a satisfying feeling.

It sure is. Grats!

#12 12 years ago

wow thats awesome. I have yet to do any board work, it looks a little scary. way to go

#14 12 years ago

The guy in that video sounds like Clive from coin op cauldron.

#15 12 years ago

Yeah let me see you flick your WMS MPU board

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Yeah let me see you flick your WMS MPU board

Was thinking the same.

#17 12 years ago

That is Martin from pinbits in the video.

Great job!

#18 12 years ago

BIG Congrats Blackbeard,I was also hoping this was your post,as I was sure you could do it,when YOU were ready.
    You know we were just teasing/encouraging you a couple weeks ago.
    Did you end up getting a gun style soldering iron ? or did that 40 Watt pencil soldering iron do the trick?
    Good going man,pretty satisfying huh----------------Kirk

#19 12 years ago

Did it with my 40 watt iron. The part I found most difficult was removing the burnt resistor. Everytime I'd heat up the back side, id drop the iron and grab my pliers to grab the resistor and pull, but by that time it would have cooled off. Those helping hand clips must be pretty helpful.

#20 12 years ago

very nice Blackbeard

#21 12 years ago

Did it with my 40 watt iron. The part I found most difficult was removing the burnt resistor. Everytime I'd heat up the back side, id drop the iron and grab my pliers to grab the resistor and pull, but by that time it would have cooled off. Those helping hand clips must be pretty helpful.

That is why you have 2 hands Set the board on the bench, or use a vise.

I use one of these.. if you find yourself doing a lot of board work, you may want one. I have an expansion bar so I can put a board as big as a WPC power driver board in it. The base is weighted so it won't tip over.

panavise.jpgpanavise.jpg

#22 12 years ago

That's a nice vice! What's the model number?

#23 12 years ago

Wow, I have never seen vises like that. I did a quick google, and found some products by Panavise.

This one looks pretty amazing, but only goes 12" wide. I'm sure there are other models that might be more appropriate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SSPNBU/ref=as_li_ss_tl

steve

#24 12 years ago

It's much easier and I think better to cut the old parts off the board first. Then clean the holes up and your ready for your new parts.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

id drop the iron and grab my pliers to grab the resistor and pull, but by that time it would have cooled off. Those helping hand clips must be pretty helpful.

#25 12 years ago

I thought about that Jalpert, but I had some lousy wire cutters that couldn't get into the resistor well enough.

I think this weekend I'll reflow the solder joints on my gorgar's cpu as those displays are acting up too.. and i think it's cracked solder joints.

Im feeling brave.

#26 12 years ago

Congrats! I still cringe a bit at the board work but still go for it anyways. Ive only ruined one and a few displays but it really does get easier the more you do. Havent smoked one lately so Im probably due. Its definitely gratifying to trouble shoot one and get it fixed. Kick a$$ vise John!

#27 12 years ago

Way to go blackbeard! that is my next step and I am nervous as hell too, great to hear that with no experience you were successful, congrats!

#28 12 years ago

The new issue i'm having on gorgar is the 1st digit being strange on the first player display and also player 3 (i believe..).

When I jiggle the connectors on the top of the cpu, the problem disappears and then reappears. I'm guessing either cracked joints or the pins need recrimping.

#29 12 years ago

Congrats! Cool feeling when it works, isn't it? My first board repair was a Stern Memory Lane that battery acid had wiped out darn near a quarter of the driver board. Nothing like trial by fire! If you make a habit of board work, I'd suggest investing in a nice temp control solder station. I know a lot of people recommend a de-solder station too, but I've honestly gotten along just fine with a bulb sucker. It's kind of fun actually...

#30 12 years ago

Congrats, If you want to practice more get some cheap PCB from Radio Shack or tear apart some old electronics and play with the board.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-repaired-my-first-circuit-board-i-feel-great and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.