IMG_20170821_171347 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170821_161356 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170809_212939 (resized).jpg
IMG_6936 (Medium) (resized).JPG
IMG_7040 (Medium) (resized).JPG
IMG_7048 (Medium) (resized).JPG
IMG_7039 (Medium) (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

This is my first venture into purchasing games needing work. So i plugged this gorgeous machine in and flipped the switch with no results.

I pulled out the handy voltmeter and there is power running from the wall through the power supply all the way to the switch.

Could this issue be as simple as a broken toggle switch or is it probably something more?

#2 6 years ago

If there's voltage at once side and not the other no matter which way you flip it then probably. Double check with a continuity test.

Make sure you double check all the fuse holders. They tend to be bad on ballys from that time. Had to replace four of them on my old Chicago before it'd start

#3 6 years ago

Did you check fuses. It's possible many/all are blown/missing- depending on the prior owners and maintenance history. Else easiest would be test voltage off transformer. Easy peasy and probably well labeled. Start there. Then trace up or down.

#4 6 years ago

Fuses would be first. Especially the line fuse. Don't mess with these when plugged in obviously.

This could also be bad fuse holders. Bally's light sockets, Fuse holders, and jones plugs are all absolute shit - I believe because unlike other companies they made them in-house. Without exception, a Bally game of this age needs the fuse holders replaced.

I had a "no power" problem on a Gottlieb once, just turned out the cord/prong was bad (it looked absolutely fine). So you never know. Also make sure the outlet you are using actually works (plug in a lamp or something)

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. When i get home from work tomorrow morning I'll update

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fuses would be first. Especially the line fuse. Don't mess with these when plugged in obviously.
This could also be bad fuse holders. Bally's light sockets, Fuse holders, and jones plugs are all absolute shit - I believe because unlike other companies they made them in-house. Without exception, a Bally game of this age needs the fuse holders replaced.
I had a "no power" problem on a Gottlieb once, just turned out the cord/prong was bad (it looked absolutely fine). So you never know. Also make sure the outlet you are using actually works (plug in a lamp or something)

+1 Bally fuse holders suck. Here's mine on my Old Chicago before I replaced it:
IMG_7039 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_7039 (Medium) (resized).JPG

& after:
IMG_7048 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_7048 (Medium) (resized).JPG

Also, the white/green wire connection on the jones plug that's mounted on the tilt board is ALWAYS toasted:
IMG_7040 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_7040 (Medium) (resized).JPG
IMG_6936 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_6936 (Medium) (resized).JPG

I simply bypassed the jones plug on this one wire & used a single heavy duty molex plug/socket to make the connection.

Also, ALL of the light sockets are garbage on this era of Bally pins, do yourself a favor & just replace them all to start with. Flickering bulbs suck.

Another thing, the "over the top" relay on the bottom board should have a # 455 flashing bulb, not a standard 44.

#7 6 years ago

Ive replaced all the fuses i can find (again, this is my first time working on a pin) and the backglass lights up but the playfield wont light up. The green and white wire previously mentioned doesn't look burnt up so im stuck as to where to go from here.

#8 6 years ago

These fuse holders dont seem broken am i wrong?

IMG_20170809_212939 (resized).jpgIMG_20170809_212939 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Since my last post i haven't altered anything and now the backglass doesnt turn on anymore lol

#10 6 years ago

Even if they don't look broken they're still often bad. There's four fuses, three there and one in the bottom middle.

#11 6 years ago

Trust us. Replace the fuse holder & check for correct fuse values.

#13 6 years ago

I've never had bad lamp sockets on Bally games. Not true for Gottlieb games.

That's a party line that is repeated ad nauseum on here and simply isn't true. If you want lamp socket issues, start with Gottlieb games that have the plates with sockets incorporated into them. Now we're talking garbage.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I've never had bad lamp sockets on Bally games. Not true for Gottlieb games.
That's a party line that is repeated ad nauseum on here and simply isn't true. If you want lamp socket issues, start with Gottlieb games that have the plates with sockets incorporated into them. Now we're talking garbage.

What Gottlieb games do that? I've only seen it on Williams...

Every bally ss I've bought has needed major lamp socket replacement. Never had to replace more than 1 or 2 on any other manufacturer. In fact I've never had to replace a single light socket on any of my Gottliebs. Never had a problem with bally em light sockets though

1 week later
#15 6 years ago

Replaced all the fuse holders (and learned how to solder) and now everything powers on!

Now i need to figure out why it wont register credits or start up a game

IMG_20170821_161356 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_161356 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Robbietee:

Replaced all the fuse holders (and learned how to solder) and now everything powers on!
Now i need to figure out why it wont register credits or start up a game

The game looks great! Even with credits on the reel it won't start? It looks like there are two credits on there, so I guess not. If you manually trip the start relay, will it fire up?

#17 6 years ago

I tripped the coin chute relay and the scores reset to zero but it kept acting like it was trying to reset constantly and wouldn't stop

#18 6 years ago

I found one labeled "lock" that engages when I activate the credit switch and i had to manually move it into its original position and when i did that it started a game!

However the start button doesnt work and manually resetting that switch is the only way to get it to stop cycling

IMG_20170821_171347 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_171347 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

The scores reset to zero, but does the bonus go to "zero", then to "O"? Check the bonus count unit, and make sure it homes, then steps up to the first step. Most Ballys are like that, but since you're spelling "Old Chicago", and not incrementing a regular bonus points ladder, maybe it doesn't spot you the "O". I'm not sure. Check that though.

#20 6 years ago

The bonus wheel was having some issues moving so i cleaned it out and it started zeroing out and the constant reset stopped when i hit the coins and credit relays
When i manually adjust the reset switch however it still locks in place. The only way to disengage it is to either manually manipulate the delay switch or physically push the reset switch into its original position

#21 6 years ago

It may not seem like it but I'm having a blast learning how to fix this thing.

#22 6 years ago

Not sure, but does that game have a delay relay which uses a flashing bulb as a timer? If so, you'll see a lamp socket somewhere on the motor board that needs to have a flashing bulb installed in it.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Not sure, but does that game have a delay relay which uses a flashing bulb as a timer? If so, you'll see a lamp socket somewhere on the motor board that needs to have a flashing bulb installed in it.

It does. Put a new 455 in there just in case. But I think mine reset fine with a blown bulb. Didn't look into it much, but I didn't think it'd affect the reset relay?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It is used for the "over the top" feature.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

It is used for the "over the top" feature.

Yes, I remember that, but I though maybe it was involved in the reset sequence. Shows you how much I know about Ballys!

3 months later
#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Robbietee:

I found one labeled "lock" that engages when I activate the credit switch and i had to manually move it into its original position and when i did that it started a game!
However the start button doesnt work and manually resetting that switch is the only way to get it to stop cycling

My Old Chicago wasn't starting a new game so I did a search and found this thread. I manually moved the "lock" like you did and everything is working great again. Start button working again too. Thank you and I'll keep an eye on that relay!

2 weeks later
#27 6 years ago

How do you keep the ball from getting stuck on top the drop targets?

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Put two rubbers on behind the drop targets instead of just the single. Worked for me

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Put two rubbers on behind the drop targets instead of just the single.

And it gives the Drop Targets more back support..

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Put two rubbers on behind the drop targets instead of just the single. Worked for me

Thanks. I will try this. Do you have a picture of what it should look like?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

No, but just use the same size rubber, but mount it below the factory rubber. It spaces it out just a little bit.

#32 6 years ago

If you want to keep it looking nice, especially those inserts, order a playfield protector right now. It's great peace of mind.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

This is what mine looked like when I got it.

IMG_3203 (resized).jpgIMG_3203 (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you want to keep it looking nice, especially those inserts, order a playfield protector right now. It's great peace of mind.

Agree 100% I have one on my OC & love it. Only issue is on a real slow roll up top, you occasionally have a ball hang up on the edge of the star rollover. Not often, but it does happen. That said, I would still put one on....

1 week later
#35 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Thanks everyone who gave me this fix; it works perfect!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Life's Add-Ons
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-purchased-a-bally-old-chicago and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.