(Topic ID: 307371)

Just preordered a Rush LE for $14999 Legit?

By Shiver11

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by clarkmu22
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E77D843A-62FB-4232-B7CE-F10E5832FEE7 (resized).jpeg
3CF0C7CB-FA23-4213-880C-349471C504BD.gif
homer simpson (resized).JPG
stern dealer (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
54FA0AD0-911C-4DD2-94DB-22FA1B85747E (resized).png
sanford.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shiver11.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hi all, first post actually and thought I’d share todays preorder experience to get reactions.

Of course, like others experienced many dealers/distributors sold out of their LEs in minutes. Others simply didn’t post the LE machines to their shops due to the amount of early interest from members exceeding their allocations.

So…after working my way from West to East across Sterns distributor contact map I found a shop willing to take a preorder.

Here’s the catch…
Their asking price was $14999, $3900 over MSRP and when I asked why they told me “it’s because we paid Stern extra to ensure their seat at the top of the manufacturing distribution list”, “allowing us to guarantee the earliest availability and delivery to buyers”.

Curious if this is inline with authorized sales practices or if it’s something I should report to Stern? Or simply shut-up and suck it up…

Any thoughts, reactions, banter??

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Sounds like total bullshit to me. Who was the distributor so we all know to avoid?

It’s a pretty big operation in the Midwest. Well known and they have multiple physical store fronts… I’m reluctant to share their name just yet for a few reasons. 1, I don’t want to falsely smear their name/reputation, 2, I want to follow up with Stern directly to confirm, and 3, if it turns out to be fraudulent I want to follow up with the police first before they get any heads up that they’ve been reported.

I can share this though, if you are asked to put down a 50% deposit for a $14999 price then you’ve likely run into the same shop.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is it a distributor listed on Stern's website, or just some random site you found on google?
If the latter, be sure to review this thread about retail/distributor scam sites:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-scam-game-seller-websites/

They are indeed listed on the official Stern website and distributor page.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Yep there are: Search under New York.
Innovative Concepts in Entertainment, Inc. (ICE)
Website 716-759-0370
10123 Main Street Clarence, New York 14031 United States
Having said that and searching them, I have never purchased from them just looked them up to see if it's legit.

<EDITEd> posted late, after the above replies.

#27 2 years ago

Well either way this plays out, DeathHimself is proving authorized Stern Dealers are selling for a mark up. $11999 is $900 over.

#31 2 years ago

Well thanks for sharing the link TheGunnett . I should have worked my way further across the dealer map before jumping on the $15k deal. I honestly thought it was hopeless cause at that point of finding an LE.

BTW, now there is only ONE LE left at the ICE shop (homearcadegames.com) don’t ask me how I know… LOL, FML ‍♂️

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I don't understand your logic here. 1. You wouldnt be falsely smearing unless your story is false. 2. No need. Their pricing explanation is baloney. 3. Again, no need. No crime was committed. You were not harmed. You said yourself they are an authorized distributor, so there is no fraud.

They could still be working the system and I want to double check with Stern first. An employee could also be taking advantage and pocketing money against the companies will or awareness. This happens a lot in the automobile aftermarket performance parts industry. Who knows…I’ll reveal the dealer as soon as I speak with a Stern rep tomorrow.

Also, I agreed to the price so if there isn’t any foul play going on it’s ultimately on me. I don’t want to blast a business I’m willfully purchasing from that’s operating within the rules.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#38 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Glad you saved a few bucks but I didn’t share that link to the dealer someone else did. I just hit the Stern site to see if they were listed with them as a dealer and not a scammer. Enjoy

Oh good catch, I updated the post to credit the proper source. Thanks to both!
Fingers crossed I can get my $7500 deposit back but doubtful…will most likely have to keep one in the box for a future sale/trade.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from greeneye:

I purchased a Chexx Pro from there but never a pin

Same here. Great game! Bought from the parent company site though, (icegame.com).

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Oh. I didn't know you placed an order. In that case, you haven't been harmed, per se, but you were definitely gouged and fed some salesy baloney. I recomend asking for a refund and if they refuse try disputing the charge with your CC company. Best of luck.

Will definitely give it a shot. Hoping Stern reacts unfavorably so that I can leverage something against their reputation. Otherwise, it’s just another salesman hustle for the record books.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Selling one for 15k, sure dealers can do that. But as an authorized Stern dealer myself I can tell you that their explanation is bullshit haha. Believe me, it's not true.

Thanks ZMeny , Maybe I use their false claim against them as a way to get my deposit back.
Ironic you chimed in on my thread, I’m also in the process of buying one of your old pins

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Plus, their website says that the price of Rush LE is $11,999.00

No that’s not the dealer that gouged me. ICE was a dealer TheGunnett posted to share that there was actually some remaining LEs available. I bought (a second) one from them before they ran out.

I was holding back on disclosing the price gouging dealers name until I could confirm whether or not it was against Stern’s selling practices.

Between you and a few others, I’d say I got my answer but I’m still going to call a Stern rep tomorrow to see what they say about it.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Have your credit card company put up a fight asap if they refuse to refund you.
Damaging their reputation publicly on Pinside is not the way to go though in my opinion when it comes to a private dispute over a transaction.
I will privately pm you for the name of the dealer.

Totally agreed, which is why I refrained from revealing their name.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

What's the crime, here? Have you ever bought a car? Dealers will shovel piles of crap on you to make a sale. Looks like this distro was willing to do the same.
Dishonest, yes. But worthy of calling the police? I don't think so...?
Sucks you were lied to. You'd be doing the community a big favor by calling them out. Why let someone else step in the same pile o crap?

I only mentioned the police in the case that the sales agent was pocketing or commuting some kind of fraud with unauthorized pricing and sales.

Remember, at first I wasn’t sure what to make of the situation and after providing a deposit was made aware that this was nonstandard. Very shady claims by the dealer which prompts a lot of assumptions.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#72 2 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

As a Stern dealer, I can tell you we do not pay extra. Stern does however ship orders based on paid status. That being said dealers that are paid up early would potentially receive earlier shipments.
Greg

Thanks! Good to know.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Why are you guys mad they charged $15k? This idiot purchased one for that price, so why are they the bad guys? It is the buyers at these insane prices that are screwing everything up. If they would sit for months and no one bought them then the price would go down. I have purchased parts and stuff from ICE and they are great to deal with. I just think this guy is a idiot for actually paying $15k for one. We are hearing one side of the story as well. Does he have proof they told him they paid more or are we just getting his story?

Thanks for the negative criticism, I suppose you’re just as much an “idiot” for assuming the situation I was in.

Again, I was told the pricing had increased based on dealer costs and availability by an “authorized dealer sales agent”.

I’m glad your more knowledgeable than me but I chose to trust the “authorized dealer” in this case and do t think that qualifies me as an idiot.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

Dude still when ahead and put a deposit down on a machine for $4k over MSRP. Doesn't matter what the explanation was, he was willing to buy it. This is the problem.

Yes indeed I was based on the dealers claims. $15k is nothing compared to what some CEs and LEs have been going for on the retail and aftermarket.

I’m obviously a Rush fan and value the theme but not ok with over paying simply based on a dealer mark up when other dealers are selling for less.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:If you were so quick to the draw at 15k I really don't feel bad for you. Shop around next time dude. The Insanity with prices is in customers hands such as yourself. Help the rest of us out by saying no.

Like I said, I went left to right on the national map calling every dealer/distributor in Sterns authorized network. When LEs sell out in minutes it’s kinda hard to “shop around” without completely missing out. I took the dealers word on pricing justification. This was the whole point in posting to the forums to get some verification.

Lesson learned.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah to echo, I don’t see an issue with the price. That’s not generally how I like to do business but to each their own. The price doesn’t concern me. The issue I would have 1. dishonesty (never a great way to establish a business relationship) and 2. a lie placing blame on the manufacturer (if that truly was the statement made) has a possible effect on the third party (manufacturer) without them knowing. Dealers are representatives for these products. Manufacturers are not there to be a scapegoat for dealers and vice versa.
So, in my opinion, misinformation does have the ability to harm others, even if it appears like a mild sales lie.

Exactly Zach.

Update for all that care:

Spoke with a Stern sales rep today who verified that the dealers sales agent claim was completely false and unjustified.

Called and left a message with Erik Gilly, director of consumer sales to report the experience. We’ll see if I get a response.

I followed up with the dealer and explained to one of their managers what was presented to me at the time of purchase and what I had learned after the fact. They were extremely apologetic about the situation and said the sales agent who sold me the LE was new and was misinformed about the reason behind the pricing. It was indeed a dealer markup, nothing more, nothing less. The dealer ultimately made up for the confusion with additional discounts and credits. I was fine with this because I’m buying quite a few pins and arcade machines for a new game room remodel.

Thanks to all the informative and positive Pinsider responses! I could not have come to this same resolution or understanding without your help.

As for the A-H@/3s in this thread. You completely missed the original intent and inquiry of the post. I did ask for the banter though so thanks for the entertainment

Cheers!

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

This is the oldest trick in the book. Blame the new guy.

Alright I had to fact check this one…

She actually is new, just looked her up on LinkedIn. But yeah, I laughed when the manager said it as well.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

It all seems so one-sided, opinions all provided
The future pre-decided detached and subdivided in the mass production zone
Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone

Oh the irony of it all…

The lyrics flow like gospel, so glad they put this song on the machine. The screen animations are pretty damn good as well. Can’t wait to play that multi-ball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
WilliPinball Mods

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 16.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

10,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tatamy, PA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 8.00
Apparel - Unisex
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shiver11.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-preorder-an-le-for-14999-legit?tu=shiver11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.