112833-i.jpg
MagnifyingLamp.jpg
a16.jpg
a13.jpg
a12.JPG
a11.JPG
a10.JPG
a9.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 10 years ago

I have the illustrious INVOICE # 20! That means all of you have me to thank for this project getting done. I'm the one that met the 20 game minimum threshold. Thanks goes to my bank who also had some issues sending this, otherwise I would have been in much earlier and would not have received this glorious distinction.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

I don't understand why all this effort was put into a system 11

Huh?

First of all, BoP isn't a Sys11 (I don't think). Isn't it considered a WPC like Funhouse?

Second, Sys11 games are awesome. Swords of Fury anyone?!?

Third, BoP has long been viewed as a cool game with an interesting playfield and an overly simple ruleset. I love shooting the various loops on BoP, but they just aren't very rewarded from a scoring standpoint. This kit re-works the rules to force you to utilize the rest of a pretty cool and fast, combo-oriented playfield.

To be fair, I wish the new software was much more "build the bride" oriented, rather than the somewhat sterile space shuttle theme, but it does allow you to easily swap back and forth between BoP 1 and 2 software. That said, we have not seen the final software yet, so hopefully they will implement more of the Bride feeling into the new game, but even if not, they are still providing the ability to play 2 completely different game within one platform with no playfield swapping, etc.

3 weeks later
#127 10 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

You can at least video record her saying, "yes, yes, YES".

It has now gone from crazy to creepy!

11 months later
#441 9 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

whow! thats more than i paid for the game. so this kit makes a great game $2g's better?

Quoted from 85vett:

It makes your game 2 games in one since you can play both versions of the game still. This kit makes BOP more than a one trick pony which I feel increase the value of fun quite a bit.

Yeah, completely new ruleset for the 2.0 game with fully integrated color DMD. Makes it a completely different, deep game. And user select-able at the start, you can revert back to play the original game rules without swapping anything. I just wish it would get released some day.

#445 9 years ago

Good news, but probably means I'll be lucky to get mine here in the US by the end of the year.

#467 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I've heard rumors about this and it's pretty annoying considering that probably none of us care at all about a stupid sticker.

I don't think any of the parties involved are under the illusion that WE care about the sticker.

#503 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

i use anti Ghost leds
Bop 2.0 the inserts are to dark ??

ball search only search 2-3 holes in BOP 2.0
not inc. Lock and skilllock ?!!?
in BOP 1.0 there are all coils (may be not the bumpers)

hope we can figure the problem out.

its definitely not a machine problem
everything was working 100% before we swapped the boards

Wow, I don't think any of us were expecting major bugs out of the box. I assumed sending this to one person was to test their install instructions, not to see if their code worked.

Can you imagine what we're all going to feel like if we waited this long, with all the piss poor communication, and then the kits are buggy as hell? You'd think all that downtime waiting for stickers would have allowed for some internal QA testing...

#528 9 years ago

Does anyone know if Herg's LED and GI OCD boards will work with this kit? I have them in my game and would prefer not to lose them with the 2.0 upgrade.

#583 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What is the big deal with Funhouse? This has to be the most overrated game. It's not terrible but it's nothing to be going bananas over. The layout is mediocre. It has to be more nostalgia than actual love.

Agreed. Rudy is cool and I like how he follows the ball and taunts you, but I sold mine a while back and don't regret it. I thought I might regret selling it once I heard the 2.0 rumors, but I still don't really care.

#595 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

metamorphosis will be included in the future

wizard mode?

you get modes by the wheel 3-4 different at the moment

Wait, are you saying the code is not complete? I thought the code was virtually done on this game. I certainly was not expecting to get a preliminary version of code, especially given how much extra time they've had compared to the original timeline given.

#604 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

As we progress further, we will be giving the game more depth, more multiballs, more wheel modes (currently 6 unique modes), Metamorphosis, better PinMAME integration, and more hidden surprises.

WOW! This was what you guys said you were adding when we talked to you at expo 2013. I was under the impression that you were further along than this back then, much less over a year later.

Quoted from Aurich:

Wow. That's really not encouraging.

Was this already known? It's news to me. It's bad enough on a new game, but at least there's a whole other game that had to be developed, so you can kind of understand. This is a pure software project (yes, it has hardware components, but playfield and switches are all there already) and so the whole purpose of it is code. And that's not done? Why are you even releasing it then?

At least as far as I'm concerned, this was completely unknown. I'm frankly shocked that the game is incomplete at all, much less as preliminary as it sounds.

Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not in on BOP 2.0, but it's making me feel concerned about TBL now if this is the kind of thing that DP thinks is acceptable. Frankly forget pre-ordering a game, waiting a year, and then playing the "wait for code" game, I'm tired of it.

Yeah, this suggests one of two things to me. Either DP completely prioritized TBL at the expense of BoP 2.0 and that's why there hasn't been progress (even though I thought they were further along than this last year). Or, as you suggest, they're having trouble in general completing projects.

Like you said, this was a "software only" project and it's this half-baked? I'm blown away. I feel completely deflated over this project at the moment.

#622 9 years ago
Quoted from Postmortem:

*I noticed from the other video that when the ball goes into the pinbot area it lights up a letter in the word "pinbot". What happens when you spell the full word?
*What must be done to make the ball skip the face area and go into the pinbot area?
*Do the jackpot lights on the backglass light up as you build your jackpot value? is the jackpot value capped at 8 mil?
*If you go through a loop 4 times do you still get the reward (like the left loop grants a "light extra ball")?
*What happens when you complete all 6 small wheel modes?
*What happens when you get all 3 "5K" lights? still a bonus multiplier?

Given recent developments (discovery that the code is severely unfinished) I would't be overly surprised if nobody knows some of these things yet.

#626 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Now that sh*t is funny right there...Cheeks, did you play it at Expo? How much time do you have playing with the new kit? "severely" may be a slight overstatement...

OK, we can argue semantics, but given what everyone thought to be the state at expo 2013, and in light of the "severe" delays, everyone expected this game to ship essentially code complete. The fact that there are modes missing, there's no metamorphosis, no wizard mode, etc is significant and I'd bet nobody that pre-ordered expected this state of release.

I'm not a Stern fanboy (I've only owned 2 Sterns in a decent size collection) but if you even want to go by their timelines we can. Everyone bitches about them because you buy a game at release and then wait about a year to get code updates. Two things there: First, their code updates are changing/adding rules, but typically not still needing to complete major chunks of the game. This appears much more incomplete to me. Second, at least with Stern they have your money, but you have a game while you wait for updates. In this case, they've had our money with a promise to ship in Q2. I'm probably going to get my game 9+ months late and I'll still have to play the code waiting game. Not cool. On top of that, anyone who looks at this can see definite reason for fears that DP's priority is TBL, not BoP. This gives me concern that I'll ever see what I felt was going to be the end product.

I hate to be so negative. I'm not a big forum venter, but between this bombshell and the other downer news about one of my other pre-orders, I'm feeling pretty bitter about the under-delivering as of late.

#678 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I preordered this also. I am unhappy to hear that after two years the code is so green that the wizard mode and multiballs aren't all there. With the delays caused by licensing, you'd think this would have been well completed. As a programmer, I can tell you it doesn't take a year to convert DMD graphics to colorized versions. See CCC as proof of that. The only conclusion can be here is that this project was put on the back burner for TBL. Seriously, this is a software only project and it doesn't even have completed software. It's really inexcusable.

Seems obvious to me. This was their proof of concept to be "viable" when they did the TBL announcement. Other than the color, what's being described as the current state of the code sounds like exactly where they were over a year ago at expo 2013. It never occurred to me this would ship with incomplete code. As you and others have pointed out, this being a software only project and it shipping with code more incomplete than Stern games is inexcusable. I'm concerned that if this couldn't get the attention needed to complete it when it was their "only" game, how is it ever going to get done once they release it to people and they have TBL and DP3 in the works?

#683 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

My father used to say to me, "Contempt Prior to Investigation is not attractive"

Quoted from burningman:

Also, (and I am just watching this, no skin in the game)...it appears that the only people concerned about the kit have not played the game themselves.

You should take your father's advice. Many of us have played the game. Is it cooler than the original BoP game code? Sure. However, things that were asked of DP at expo 2013, are still not implemented. One of the first questions someone playing the game asks is "when does her face move?" This is the fundamental physical feature of this game. They said more than a year ago, "we're going to add metamorphosis and other modes." Well, they still are not in there. A Bride game that doesn't leverage the moving face is severely handicapped.

When you put everything together (pre-payment, game delayed 9+ months, very poor communication, unfinished code, etc) this is why people are disappointed. So, do your father one proud and dig a little deeper before you tell us we don't really know what we're talking about.

#686 9 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

@cheeks: good arguments! Yet the "wow" moment is still dominant.. Maybe I would not be so amazed if I saw that version 1.5 years ago. Which I (fortunately) didn't...

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I still think this is cool. However, the fact that it's been stagnant for over a year and we're getting something incomplete is a huge bummer. Just doesn't leave me confident that they care enough about this project to bring the passion they started with. I feel like they're on to TBL / DP3 and BoP 2.0 is more of a hassle for them right now. I hope I'm wrong.

#687 9 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

I don't think anyone can argue that something went wrong with the BoP 2.0 project if you look at the facts.

We are already 9 months past the promised deadline and here we are finally doing beta installs with incomplete games and somehow DP had enough free time to have 3 TBL prototypes at expo.

Obviously some of the resources were moved from BoP 2.0 over to TBL, they had to be.

I understand the licensing hold ups, BUT the licensing issues didn't prevent DP from writing code to finish the game and from doing more beta installs. If they had done any of that last summer, we would have our complete kits in our hands right now. My fear now is that the game will never be finished since it appears that no new code has been written (other than color display) in almost a year.

Unfortunately I think you're right on the money.

#689 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm sorry to say this but I will anyways. Comparing this to a recent Stern is pretty silly. We are talking about 4 modes and 1 multiball. No wizard mode. No mini wizard mode. No metamorphasis.

That's exactly what is so frustrating. Compare this current state from how DP described the code at expo 2013 and there's a huge gap. They talked about all the modes they were going to add, metamorphosis, wizards, and how deep and complex the game would be. There are a few nice modes now, but it does not strike me as deep or complex what-so-ever. Real letdown.

#699 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

No, this software is way beyond the original. even in an unfinished state there is more to do than the original

True, but it is still limited and fairly repetitive. What it has gained in playfield shot variety, I unfortunately feel like it has lost in personality. I sincerely hope that changes soon.

#701 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Perhaps it's more interesting in person, but from watching the videos, the game is primarily: light lock- lock balls- multiball- repeat, with an occasional side mission. Where is the narrative?

That's kinda my point regarding being repetitive. Over a year ago they promised a deep and extensive ruleset. I hope that is still the plan, but this does not fit that description.

#724 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Honestly I'm still as excited for a bop 2.0 as I was one year ago when I sent my money in.
If you don't have the stomach for a pre order maybe you should wait on the sidelines.
Imo

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yay somebody else sees the big picture.

This doesn't have anything to do with having the stomach for pre-orders or seeing the big picture. I was in on the original BBB and I'm on RAZA, so I know all about being patient. It's about following through on the expectations you set. This is far from a DP-specific issue. Unfortunately we've all been lemming enough that none of the companies respect us as typical real-world consumers. It's our faults for conditioning these companies to think it's OK.

Delivering BoP 2.0 almost a year late, in a state far more premature than they led people to believe it would be is not the right way to do business. I'm still hopeful that the end product will be cool, but I can't say they've instilled the confidence that they'll carry it through. Yes there were licensing issues, but there were months after expo 2013 before they ran into those issues, and there have been months now since those issues were resolved in principle. However, there hasn't really been any perceivable progress on the game code. You may be cool with that, but frankly you shouldn't be.

#738 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Because they took money for sales of it. That's why. Nowhere were the terms of preorder "up in the air" pending hopefulness of sorting out licensing. If they were thinking that they might can the project at any time then I would trust them even less!

100%

DP has pooched the BoP 2.0 thing and I don't understand why so many are willing to give them a pass. They can still right the ship, but that doesn't excuse how poorly they've handled this up to now. They had unforeseen issues for sure, but they could have dealt with the situation much better than they did.

Here's hoping we're all happy in the end.

#756 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I'm sure some have, but in no way is it most as you said.

You're definitely right, however, there has been a huge uptick in people buying and/or restoring BoP based on the kit. For example I sold my old bride and bought one with a diamondcoat playfield.

#769 9 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I like BOP as is.Its a nice idea but ultimately its a gimmick.I "heard' there is no metamorphosis.Is that true ?And if it is true why go through all the trouble of re programming and switching displays and adding hard drives if the original ending/goal has been removed from the game?thats a deal killer,especially at that price. Scott

Over a year ago they said they were going to add it. However, nobody knows at this point. Why doesn't anyone know? Because throughout the BoP 2.0 process DP tends to go dark when there are upset people brewing. I swear they could do themselves (and us) so many favors by simply communicating.

I'm assuming their realistic intentions are not a gloomy as things feel, but for whatever reason they don't seem to care about addressing the concerns of their customers. With the Jpop and Skit-B fiascoes flaring up all around them, you'd think the way to deal with this would be obvious. Well...unless their answers would be worse than what people are speculating.

#773 9 years ago
Quoted from Jarkko:

Anyway, the email states "We have many new and exciting updates to the game coming soon including the addition of a videomode, a second multiball, 6 more wheel modes and of course the Metamorphosis! Despite the delays caused by various reasons we are committed to finishing the game as originally envisioned and hope you will stick along for the ride!"

Quoted from 85vett:

DP - if you are still reading this thread. Even though I'm a US customer and don't have my kit I'd love to get the e-mails like the above poster received. Maybe you could send it to those that are paid in full? Wont be able to install the update on anything but being kept in the loop would help make the time pass

Thanks for posting the contents of the email. Good to hear they say it's all coming.

And 85vett, I totally agree. Even a little communication would solve so many problems. As an example, I've been in on P3 from the early days. It is REALLY behind schedule. But Gerry sends out regular state of the union emails and explains what they're doing, etc. This has been enough to keep my enthusiasm up and fully supporting Gerry and the P3 movement. It really didn't take a whole lot.

I know everything happening with DP couldn't be discussed publicly, but a similar approach, like what was in the EU kit email, is all it really takes. I want to be a DP fan again, I really do. Good thing is they really don't have to do a ton to win me back over.

3 weeks later
#851 9 years ago

It just stays on one face now. I know they "intend" to include metamorphosis in the future, but even that I believe is only as a wizard or some other event further in the game. The one thing that kept the original BoP cool despite the shallow rules was the personality and the coolness of leveraging the face transitions. If the faces are only used deep into the game, that is a huge missed opportunity. I don't see why they don't at least use different faces incorporated into different modes. Based on what I've seen so far, I'm afraid all the personality of the bride is gone and now it's just this game about fueling the shuttle. I'm interested to see how/when things develop.

#855 9 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

is it just me or is the new music boring as hell !?!? liked the music from the 1st DP video from oct 2013. is there a option on what sound tracks are used ?

I agree, I like the music from last year's version much much better. Not sure exactly when or why it changed. Would be cool if we could use that original score instead of the current one. It was much more upbeat and not so dreary.

#857 9 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

It's really weird to see people discuss boring music, without having the 2.0 machine or maybe even played it a couple of hours.

The music is different than it used to be. We don't need it in our houses to determine that, nor to have an opinion about which we like better. I didn't say "boring as hell" (that was another post), but why can't people comment on music after hearing it? If he said the gameplay was boring as hell, you'd be right to say "wait until you have it" but with music, um, you just have to listen to it.

I have certainly tempered my enthusiasm over this project during the last couple months, but I'm still eager to see where it ends up and hopeful it will someday meet the original expectations. I'm an early pre-order and have played the game multiple times at several shows, so I feel I'm entitled to have an opinion about the game. That said, I don't understand why there are so many people, like you, that apparently feel this game is above critique.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 27.95
$ 9.99
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-pre-ordered-bop-20-kit?tu=cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.