(Topic ID: 31830)

Just played WoZ at my local distributor.

By Whridlsoncestood

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pimp77
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG2758.jpg
image.jpg
wizard.jpg
image.jpg
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 years ago

Yeah I would make a comparison similar to that. It's the fit and finishes that really make those super cars

#102 11 years ago

Yeah I would make a comparison similar to that. It's the fit and finishes that really make those super cars

Well, when I played one at Expo in Chicago, although the finish of the playfield and cabinet looked great, The flippers not seeming strong and lack of game code made it feel like something less than a Bentley.

Speaking of Bentley, the Chairman of WMS Industries came to the the shareholder meeting at the old Chicago plant (N. California & Roscoe) the other day in a Bentley. Guess there's money to made in slot vs. pinball machines. The photo is looking South in the Roscoe parking lot. The townhouses you see in the background are part of Belmont River Place which is on the site of the former Bally Manufacturing Corporation Belmont plant and offices/headquarters.

IMAG2758.jpgIMAG2758.jpg

#103 11 years ago

awww.. home sweet home...I used to wait for the bus over there to go to school, every day! But I had to trade greatness for sunny warm weather in Florida...

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

Craig said:

I have pins by Stern, Williams, Bally and Gottlieb [and Data East]

Quoted from AbacusMan:

What!? No Atari or Zaccaria?

What, no love for Alvin G, Capcom, Inder, Spinball, Unidesa/Cirsa, Sega, and SLEIC?

An honorable mention to Playmatic, Gameplan and the rest....I just haven't brought home any of those yet. They're all great!

#105 11 years ago

I played WOZ at Abel in St Clair Shores, MI yesterday. The code was far from done but in fairness they did have a sign saying such above the machine. Beautiful cab and PF artwork!!!! Beautiful PF toys (crystal ball, mini PF and house, etc.). I am going to go back with my wife since she wants to see it too now. She loves the theme. With us expecting grandchildren, within a few years, I would imagine she may want to add on to our collection for later.

Hope the code gets finished/updated. It was on free play but did not pull me in for more than 1 game (2 balls) because the code was so lacking.

#106 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

It was on free play but did not pull me in for more than 1 game (2 balls) because the code was so lacking.

Wow, that's a pretty strong indication of the weakness of the current (and I realize not final) state.

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Wow, that's a pretty strong indication of the weakness of the current (and I realize not final) state.

Confused as to how the software is so incomplete?

#108 11 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Me too! Figure they would want to test software on a test machine.

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

There was a vid with Keith explaining all these cool ass modes that he envisions for the game, none are currently implemented as far as I know.

My biggest concern about WoZ not being a terrific game is the sound. The call outs seem to have been okayed by someone who does not have functioning ears, 75% of the voice work is just really unappealing for reasons that perplex me.

This is something that could change, but so far all I can think is "The Journey is the Reward" (cue nails on chalkboard...).

#110 11 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

All of the inserts are in attract mode during play. The code is very basic. Programming a pinball machine takes time, with an lcd to consider along with a new platform and all of the inserts in the game that will be associated with switches and a ruleset.

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Me too! Figure they would want to test software on a test machine.

Ummmmm..............they are.

LTG : )

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

There was a vid with Keith explaining all these cool ass modes that he envisions for the game, none are currently implemented as far as I know.
My biggest concern about WoZ not being a terrific game is the sound. The call outs seem to have been okayed by someone who does not have functioning ears, 75% of the voice work is just really unappealing for reasons that perplex me.
This is something that could change, but so far all I can think is "The Journey is the Reward" (cue nails on chalkboard...).

I watched it on video and was dis-llusioned as well but after playing it in person, I was actually pretty impressed...especially when comparing to some recent new games.

As for the code on the display models, it is basically in attract mode for lighting and allows you to bang the ball around, lock a couple and play a basic multiball. I wouldn't even say its 20%. Its not hard to envision what the rules are going to be, and from what I see, its going to be pretty cool.

#113 11 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I watched it on video and was dis-llusioned as well but after playing it in person, I was actually pretty impressed...especially when comparing to some recent new games.
As for the code on the display models, it is basically in attract mode for lighting and allows you to bang the ball around, lock a couple and play a basic multiball. I wouldn't even say its 20%. Its not hard to envision what the rules are going to be, and from what I see, its going to be pretty cool.

Keith gave a basic overview of some of the rules during a recent interview at IAAPA:

In summary:
Emerald City multiball - hit rollover targets to spell each character - lock 3 balls (one for each character) to start

Save Dorothy multiball- hit targets on upper playfield to spell rescue and bang on castle door to start

Crystal Ball modes- 2 ball multiball
something bad will happen such as:
all lights go out
flippers won't stay up (unable to trap balls)
reversed flippers?

Spell rainbow to qualify upper right playfield
get loops to start munchkin mode
start all munchkin modes to start munchkin multiball

After going thru Emerald City MB, Munchkin MB, and Crystal ball modes:
Final Wicked witch mode
melt her by hitting target
If you beat her there is a special celebration multiball

Crystal ball will give you clues on what to shoot

spell Toto to get ball back, 10 seconds to make a shot to save Toto

complete no place like home targets - special black and white mode

#114 11 years ago

I have a feeling the rules on WOZ are going to be absolutely epic, the pallet they have to work with is so vast, and when you really think about it, there's no wonder it's taking way more time than they expected.

#115 11 years ago

I was excited to hear Keith speak on the rules.
It sounds like he has a fun, creative ruleset planned, as usual.

WOZ should come together nicely.

#116 11 years ago

I saw this video and now I am very excited to see all this things.
WOZ has a great rule concept and I think Keith had proved, he is capable of coding these things. But could he make this happen in the next 90 day?

Do we see this when the game is shipping or will it be like the STERN games, and we have to wait years before we see the main features of the game working?

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I have a feeling the rules on WOZ are going to be absolutely epic, the pallet they have to work with is so vast, and when you really think about it, there's no wonder it's taking way more time than they expected.

Judging by the inserts and what we know so far (from the interview) I agree that the rules are going to be epic! Maybe not quite as deep as TSPP, but close. We still don't really know what the horse inserts will do (and the horse bonus collect under the upper right flipper). There's also the Haunted Forest inserts, the 7 green emerald inserts and a whole slew of hurry-ups! I have no doubts with Keith's touch that it will be outstanding once finished.

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I really hope they are. KJ is a big reason I went in on this title. Hope it is at least near the depth of LOTR. Would love to hear from Keith his opinion on where it would fall relative to depth in the games he has coded.

#119 11 years ago

I hope the multi balls have a goal to finish each one like LOTR.

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Do we see this when the game is shipping or will it be like the STERN games, and we have to wait years before we see the main features of the game working?

I believe the plan is to have the code done when games ship.

LTG : )

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Hope it is at least near the depth of LOTR. Would love to hear from Keith his opinion on where it would fall relative to depth in the games he has coded.

He has said before that Woz will be the deepest ruleset ever...

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Keith gave a basic overview of some of the rules during a recent interview at IAAPA:
» YouTube video
In summary:
Emerald City multiball - hit rollover targets to spell each character - lock 3 balls (one for each character) to start
Save Dorothy multiball- hit targets on upper playfield to spell rescue and bang on castle door to start
Crystal Ball modes- 2 ball multiball
something bad will happen such as:
all lights go out
flippers won't stay up (unable to trap balls)
reversed flippers?
Spell rainbow to qualify upper right playfield
get loops to start munchkin mode
start all munchkin modes to start munchkin multiball
After going thru Emerald City MB, Munchkin MB, and Crystal ball modes:
Final Wicked witch mode
melt her by hitting target
If you beat her there is a special celebration multiball
Crystal ball will give you clues on what to shoot
spell Toto to get ball back, 10 seconds to make a shot to save Toto
complete no place like home targets - special black and white mode

Thanks for posting Mike.

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He has said before that Woz will be the deepest ruleset ever...

That is promising. I also like that they have said that there will be much that is accessible to newbies, as this pin will draw in many who are not yet pinheads.

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Speaking of Bentley, the Chairman of WMS Industries came to the the shareholder meeting at the old Chicago plant (N. California & Roscoe) the other day in a Bentley. Guess there's money to made in slot vs. pinball machines. The photo is looking South in the Roscoe parking lot. The townhouses you see in the background are part of Belmont River Place which is on the site of the former Bally Manufacturing Corporation Belmont plant and offices/headquarters.

They also have online real cash slots in the UK. Even the makers of the golden tee have slots as well as well.

#125 11 years ago

Wow those rules really sound awesome, especially for a home game could keep it going for years. I am a fairly poor player, but like to work on a game play, it sounds like you can concentrate on certain areas of the rules get a little bit at a time, even if it would be difficult to complete the whole rule set in one game, it sounds like it would be interesting for a long time.

My main concern about WoZ is how it's two upper play fields effect the game. First how much real estate is taken up by having two large areas taken out of play, and inherently small play fields to me, do not play like real pinball. Most of the time, I think of battle the powers in TZ which is ok but I would think most of the time, one extra play field would be enough. I guess the house play field really doesn't seem like much to do for the amount of real estate it takes up.

#126 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

First how much real estate is taken up by having two large areas taken out of play

areas taken out of play...? the areas are just moved up to the mini-playfields. Nothing lost.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
13,000 (OBO)
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 91.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-played-woz-at-my-local-distributor/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.