LE_on_test_rack.jpg
TMYK.jpeg
coolfreecandy.jpeg
Tron_LE.jpg
images.jpeg
images.jpeg
images.jpeg
#1 12 years ago

So I was picking up some cabinet buttons and LED's for my pinmame cabinet today. When I walked in the front door of the Playdium store by Toronto I was greated by a brand new Tron Pinball machine.

Since it was set to freeplay I started up a game... Well lets just say I really enjoyed the gameplay and flow of the machine, the volume was set too low to get a really good feel for the sounds. But it played great, really great actually. All shots feel right, the fow is amazing. The photo shopped art is still not the greatest, but for this theme it finally seems like it kinda works, especially the sideart. The 3D backglass art is not the greatest either but it does fit the overall theme well. The playfield looks really nice (super shiny) the only issue is the mini tron machine looks really cheap.

But besides these flaws.. again, it played fricken awesome. So good in fact, that it made me rethink my hate for stern for a split second. I can imagine with some EL wire Mods and a better mini machine toy. (owners will probably do it, it needs it.)
This thing will look and play absolutely fantastic. I finally think Stern may have hit a home run with this one. I hate to say it, but it's true.

Reminds me a heck of alot of the flow in Funhouse, this is a good thing.

For looks I give it a 7.5, but for gameplay I'd give it a 9.5. Really cool and fun! Hope everyone gets a chance to play one.

#2 12 years ago

I agree. It's a fun, fast game. Definitely one of Stern's better efforts. I'm kind of jealous of the people who ordered the LEs.

#3 12 years ago

I played Tron for the first time today too! Put in about two hours at gameworks.

The flow is awesome! The only thing I wish was different about the pf was to have the inner right loop flow back to the upper flipper for multiple shots - instead of going into the pops.

The volume was up on the game I played and the music is great! Erak, I think you would have enjoyed the game even more with a full music experience.

Quoted from gweempose:

I'm kind of jealous of the people who ordered the LEs.

I agree - if I had the cash set aside - I'd be really tempted...

#4 12 years ago

I have worked many extra hours this week to get the funds together. I hope it is worth it. I love the theme and the look. The music is icing on the cake!

#5 12 years ago

sounds like a fun game Erak.

Most of the hate for Stern is pretty ungrounded imo.. they make some really good games. Never played a Stern that I "hated".

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Most of the hate for Stern is pretty ungrounded imo.. they make some really good games. Never played a Stern that I "hated".

I can think of a bunch of Sterns that I really cant stand to play or look at. My problem with them is mostly quality related and artisticly as well. Any pinball machine is a good pinball machine, I just feel that the "new" Stern has been around since 1999 thats 12 years, think of how many "A" list pins that collectors want that williams/Bally released in 12 years, then look back at Stern.

Bad Stern Pins: Rolling Stones, NBA, NASCAR,Wheel of Fortune,World Poker tour, Soprano's,Elvis, Indiana Jones etc, etc.

Decent Pins, POTC,IM,BTDK, Avatar Mainly based on how popular the themes are.

Great Pins, LOTR,SM, and I would possibly add Tron to that list.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from erak:

and I would possibly add Tron to that list.

Wow, that is high praise from you erak!
Hopefully Stern will do it's part throughout it's lifespan with even better code updates.
Thus, ensuring that at least the "game(s)" branding of TRON will still remain "warm and fuzzy" to all that gravitate to the TRON license.
I still would love some cabinet pics of my LE Stern..!
It is the middle of June already!
Please- don't half-ass this LE cabinet/backglass.
I am begging you!
Pretty please, with Quorra on top!

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Bad Stern Pins: Rolling Stones, NBA, Nascar,Wheel of Fortune,World Poker Tour, Soprano's,Elvis, Indiana Jones etc, etc.
Decent Pins, POTC,IM,BTDK, Avatar Mainly based on how popular the themes are.
Great Pins, LOTR,SM, and I would possibly add Tron to that list.

Well I just play games and fix mine when they break so based on gameplay my personal rating is more positive regarding stern pins

As a player I would promote POTC, IM, BTDK to great pins along with maybe Family Guy, TSPP and RBION (CSI also for me but I recognize the fact there is a lot of hate there )
I have owned TZ, AFM, SS and TOM+ many more Bally/Williams, loved them all but I love Sterns just as much.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from emo:

I love Sterns just as much.

Me too!I like the software on games Like SM,LOTR,TSPP even better!

#10 12 years ago

My friend just ordered a Tron LE. He loves the gameplay! I can't wait to play it. He said there will be lots of cool do-dads on the LE.

#11 12 years ago

To each their own, Stern gets a ton of heat, but I feel like they have released plenty of great games throughout the years, and they have singlehandedly kept pinball alive for its darkest hour. The only complaints I usually have with Stern's are the production (cheap) and art. Both of which erak discussed. Gameplay wise I love a lot of Stern Pins: IM, SM, LOTR, TSPP, POTC, Sopranos, Avatar, Tron, and CSI. It's the themes and the terrible artistic choices that really bother me. I can even understand and forgive some of the cheap plastic ramps and toys out of necessity, but the art shouldn't have to suck, and neither should the theme (24, Monopoly, RCT, Shrek, WPT, RBION, CSI, WoF etc). Let the designers pick their themes! It makes your product better!!!

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

... the art shouldn't have to suck, and neither should the theme (24, Monopoly, RCT, Shrek, WPT, RBION, CSI, WoF etc).

I swear, I must the only person alive who actually likes 24.

#13 12 years ago

OMG she reminds me of my hot H.S. gym teacher

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#14 12 years ago

I like it, I don't love it but I like it. "Chloe" gets on my nerves because she sounds bored all the time but its solid, some nice hurry up's.
I hope to buy one to customise for myself in a few years time.

#15 12 years ago

OMG she reminds me of my hot H.S. gym teacher

I bet running laps was a tad more difficult with her around- eh Autumn?

Especially if you were wearing the super short shorts with reversible shirt that NEVER got washed!
Oh, the "Wonder Years"...
Here is a palette cleanser...

images.jpegimages.jpeg

(Takes a deep breath...)

Ahhh...
Much fresher!... I mean better!

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I swear, I must the only person alive who actually likes 24.

You're not alone! I played it for the first time a couple months back and really enjoyed it. Not a great pin, but a respectable effort nonetheless.

Now the Sopranos on the other hand? Pure weaksauce...

#17 12 years ago

Stopped by GAP today to take care my balance for TRON and Mike was nice enough to invite me in to play the pro model. I am happy to report it is super fun to play. The look is great and since I was even happy with the pro model I bet the LE will be outstanding. The gameplay is fast, spontaneous, smooth & FUN. One thing I liked was that the play field is open but, still enough shots and toys to make it fun. The ramps are a hoot especially with the DMD working hand in hand with the ramps. Music and sound effects are TOP NOTCH and the whole game sparkles with color as GAP had already installed LED's in that pro model I played. It really is a blast. I am more EAGER than ever to get my LE. Thanks again GAP!
Oh yeah a cool thing we both witnessed is that the ball gets shot out of the disc so fast and with spin on it like in bowling that the ball literally changes direction. While Mike was playing the ball shot out of the spinning disc toward the left outlane and was half way drained when it literally changed direction and came OUT of the drain. I SWEAR it is true. The disc makes the ball absolutely INSANE and adds to the excitement of the experience. AT first I asked Mike if their were magnets under the play field. That is how much the Disc changes the direction and momentum of the ball. It is absolutely fantastic.
& wait till you guys see what we are doing the SS.... She is gonna ROCK!

#18 12 years ago

Did you notice whether or not it uses the Daft Punk score from the film?

I assume it does, but I haven't read anything to that effect thus far. Would be nice to get confirmation one way or the other...

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Did you notice whether or not it uses the Daft Punk score from the film?

Yes it does. I wish they used more of the Daft Punk music, but it still sounds great.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yes it does. I wish they used more of the Daft Punk music, but it still sounds great.

Excellent! Maybe the LE will incorporate more of it into the game. *fingers crossed*

Can't wait to actually see pics of the LE. So far all I've come across is a single shot of one ramp. Looked cool, but didn't really give an idea of what the whole playfield will look like...

#21 12 years ago

Yes, I noticed that the music changed and one of my favorite tracks "Dereezed" was used (I think that is the one) with one of the modes.
The SUB is mandatory I say! MANDATORY! LOL.. At first I was ordering it with no upgrades, now I am in it with sub speakers and shaker... LOL

#22 12 years ago

Can't wait to actually see pics of the LE.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Tron_LE.jpgTron_LE.jpg

#23 12 years ago

LED's really looked great the use of the Dark Blue really makes the color of the LED's POP. I noticed that right away. We are all gonna have fun with are LED art on this one.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Nice! I may have to head down to Chicago and check out one of the pro models that are out and about to get a feel for the game.

I'm really itching to get a second machine and would love to buy one NIB. Maybe this will be the one. My LOTR is getting lonely after all...

#25 12 years ago

Jarjarisgod. Your more than welcome to come play my pro model, has LED, through out the game, Sub Kit, adding shaker and back box flipper fidelity Led backbox panel. Adding the Target exclusive Tron Arcade machine, instead of the one Stern provides. Going to put a sea green powder coat trim kit on it.

Lmk if you want to come down.. Anyone in the Chicago area is more than welcome to stop by nd play it. Awesome game with the 1.4 code update

#26 12 years ago

GAP - Thanks for the invite. I'm tentatively thinking about coming down next weekend. I assume you're open on the weekends?

Is this the Target exclusive Tron arcade machine you are referring to?

ebay.com link: Tron Legacy S2 Target Exclusive Sam Flynn Tron Arcade

If so, it should look pretty slick in place of the one that comes from the factory!

In the meantime, I found this gameplay vid on Youtube for anyone who is interested. Looks like a fun game.

#27 12 years ago

Give me a call ahead of time, but we can hook up next week.

#28 12 years ago

I love Pinball!
Since I played Tron yesterday I am like a little kid. I can't wait to pick it up!

#29 12 years ago

I got a chance to play TRON last night. Overall, it was fun to play, but I didn't love it. Some of the sound bites from the movie seemed over long and didn't feel like they synced with anything specific that was happening on the PF. The 3-D backglass didn't really do it for me, and I agree with the comments about the "cheapness" of the little arcade game just above the "Flynn's Arcade" shot. While we're talking about Flynn's Arcade, I realize that I'm not the great player in the world, but I found the skill shot to be overly difficult. Seems like I got the ball into Flynn's Arcade mostly by luck on the skill shot. As for the super skill shot up the right ramp, the upper flipper on the machine I played seemed weak, so that was tough, too. Felt like by the time the ball rolled down the flipper to the point needed to aim for the ramp, that when I flipped, the ball just rolled off the tip. Now, before I sound too negative, I really like the flow of the game and the spinning disc was a pretty cool toy that added some randomness to the game. I also REALLY liked the multiball which felt totally FRANTIC. The recognizer toy was fun to bash on, and you could do it from both flippers. Overall, I had fun playing the game, but I eventually just went back to playing classics like TOM and TAF.

#30 12 years ago

played 10 games in a row yesterday. It's fun and I liked the upper flipper on the left vs. the more common on the right. The game isn't far from where I live so I can play it often without a purchase

I went home and played spiderman and to me that is a superior game. Good effort though.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Scot:

The recognizer toy was fun to bash on, and you could do it from both flippers ...

Recognizer toy? Are you referring to the motorized 3-bank targets?

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Recognizer toy? Are you referring to the motorized 3-bank targets?

Yup, that's it.

#33 12 years ago

Since I played Tron yesterday I am like a little kid.

"Hey kid!
I got this sweet TRON LE in my van if you wanna come check it out...
No- you don't need your parents permission.
It will be our little secret..."

coolfreecandy.jpegcoolfreecandy.jpeg
Bye-bye Coast!

Remember kids! Never talk to strangers!

TMYK.jpegTMYK.jpeg

#34 12 years ago

Here is another shot of the LE playfield from Stern's Facebook page:

"The awe was palpable!"

LE_on_test_rack.jpgLE_on_test_rack.jpg

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Scot:

The 3-D backglass didn't really do it for me, and I agree with the comments about the "cheapness

what? i think the backglass looks super sick...its better at about 15 feet away from the machine and out...kind of like sterns displays.lol

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

what? i think the backglass looks super sick...its better at about 15 feet away from the machine and out...kind of like sterns displays.lol

Yeah, I can see how it might look better from farther away. But from a "playing position" it didn't look that great; kinda blurry.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Scot:

But from a "playing position" it didn't look that great; kinda blurry.

Sounds like you need some of BD's "Glaucoma" medicine...

...And a Pizza!

#38 12 years ago

I enjoyed the machine,pro edition,floor model,VERY decent artwork and backglass and playfield,the little Tron video game/playfield toy looked kinda hokey,but not so bad,played 2 games at a local distributor,while on lunch break from my job,while buying parts for my machines,all that said-I liked it-but could not get the left flipper timing correct,as my 2 machines have an upper right flipper.Would shove some $ into it if I see it in the wild.

#39 12 years ago

OK, so I stopped by after work to play the game a few more times, and on second look, I STILL don't like the backglass art that much. Oh well, to each their own!

#40 12 years ago

I actually have no problem with the backglass art, but I do think the 3-D effect works better on Avatar.

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Scot:

OK, so I stopped by after work to play the game a few more times, and on second look, I STILL don't like the backglass art that much. Oh well, to each their own!

lol,
well, the only thing i dislike about the backglass honestly pin/scot is that it is the EXACT replica from the movie tron legacy poster. but luckily, i do like the movie's poster....jeff bridges across from clue....well, i guess jeff bridges is one of my top 5 actors so...lol

#42 12 years ago

lol,
well, the only thing i dislike about the backglass honestly pin/scot is that it is the EXACT replica from the movie tron legacy poster. but luckily, i do like the movie's poster....jeff bridges across from clue....well, i guess jeff bridges is one of my top 5 actors so...lol

Now if only somebody would make "The Big Lebowski Pinball". So many great quotes and a wide variety of material for the modes. It would be amazing!

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Now if only somebody would make "The Big Lebowski Pinball". So many great quotes and a wide variety of material for the modes. It would be amazing!

jarjar, I like that idea and it made me think about another movie with many great quotes. How about Tombstone. I don't know how the game would lay out or even go over but the voice could be really cool. "I'll be your huckleberry" and when you drain "my hypocracy only goes so far"

#44 12 years ago

jarjar, I like that idea and it made me think about another movie with many great quotes. How about Tombstone. I don't know how the game would lay out or even go over but the voice could be really cool. "I'll be your huckleberry" and when you drain "my hypocracy only goes so far"

Anytime you have the chance to feature Sam Elliott in a machine I'm all for it. Hey... He was in Lebowski too now that I think of it. While on the Sam Elliott kick, how about ROADHOUSE pinball!!!

There could be a sequence where you have to a hit a set number of combo shots to rip your adversary's throat out.

roadhouse4.jpgroadhouse4.jpg

#45 12 years ago

I played TRON tonight @ $1 = 1 credit
Digg the game play and nifty 3D backglass

#46 12 years ago

1$ for a credit/ lmao, pinball nazi's????

#47 12 years ago

I happily pay $1 a game if the game is in good working order. It's a bargain when compared to $.50 or $.75 games with issues.

#48 12 years ago

Most of the pins up here are $1 per credit and they are not in good shape.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-played-tron-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.