(Topic ID: 17347)

Just played TF pro and SM

By BinGhanem

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I just played TF pro and SM. Some toys are broken on SM, no sandman, place was kinda dark cound't see the playfield well.

TF pro was really fast and I really enjoyed it, most of my coins went to TF, I'm sure if SM was in better condition I'll enjoy it as much.

is the LE version much better than pro? I might add that pin to the wish list for the future.

#2 11 years ago

SM is fast too great pin.Tf pro is a great game and the LE is a little better.

#3 11 years ago

SM was in a bad condition, I think the magnet didn't work, many lights didn't work either ..etc

#4 11 years ago

My favorite pins are 1 Spiderman, 2 Transformers L.E

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from BinGhanem:

I just played TF pro and SM. Some toys are broken on SM, no sandman, place was kinda dark cound't see the playfield well.
    TF pro was really fast and I really enjoyed it, most of my coins went to TF, I'm sure if SM was in better condition I'll enjoy it as much.
    is the LE version much better than pro? I might add that pin to the wish list for the future.

LE is faster. My favorite game right now.

SM is great but the sound and theme couldn't hold up in my collection.

#6 11 years ago

SM was king back in the day. Still a great game, but Stern has raised the bar with, im, tron, tf, and acdc. SM got left behind a little. I give it respect, but wouldn't pay 5.5K-6.5K for one.

TF pro is amazing when it's dialed in. I spent a lot of time on tfle and I think the extra features are a mess. I took off all the toys, gutted the optimus feature with a gate. The game flows so much better and it's a lot faster. Installed FF speakers and added an ex sub. Installing stronger flipper coils this week. Re-designing some plastics. It's gonna be a beast. One of my favorite games right now.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

SM was king back in the day. Still a great game, but Stern has raised the bar with, im, tron, tf, and acdc. SM got left behind a little. I give it respect, but wouldn't pay 5.5K-6.5K for one.
    TF pro is amazing when it's dialed in. I spent a lot of time on tfle and I think the extra features are a mess. I took off all the toys, gutted the optimus feature with a gate. The game flows so much better and it's a lot faster. Installed FF speakers and added an ex sub. Installing stronger flipper coils this week. Re-designing some plastics. It's gonna be a beast. One of my favorite games right now.

Back in the day all of a few years back?? SM is still way better then TF or TF LE. Plays better then Tron or IM. It's just a more ballanced game. Sure the ball times are longer if your hitting your shots do to more recent Stern's like IM n Tron where the ball is out of control quite often but no stern out there has been able to combine depth and flow like SM was able to achieve. We will have to wait n see how ACDC turns out with a more polished code but SM is still king of all Sterns IMO.

#8 11 years ago

I prefer the TF Pro over the LE as there is less crap to slow the ball down. Still prefer SM over TF though.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Back in the day all of a few years back?? SM is still way better then TF or TF LE. Plays better then Tron or IM. It's just a more ballanced game. Sure the ball times are longer if your hitting your shots do to more recent Stern's like IM n Tron where the ball is out of control quite often but no stern out there has been able to combine depth and flow like SM was able to achieve. We will have to wait n see how ACDC turns out with a more polished code but SM is still king of all Sterns IMO.

Well said, I agree 100%.

#10 11 years ago

I have not been able to get into SM both times I've played it. TF, on the other hand, I fell in love with... first the Pro on route and now the LE in my home. To each his own...

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

What exactly did you do to Optimus? Why do you think you need stronger coils? The ones that ship with it are very strong.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Tommi_Gunn said:

If I added SM to my lineup it would get the least amount of play. I doesn't keep me coming back anymore. I think you have to be invested in the theme to really appreciate it. I'm not a sm fan. I'm wasn't into the comic books or the movies, but the gameplay is pretty cool. I think Borg perfected the shots on SM with IM and Tron. Sandman was cool, and then Borg did the spinning disk. Doc ock had a wow factor, until Borg did whiplash. SR did the same old right flipper shot, and Borg reversed it on Tron and made it more satisfying (gem or ramp shot). This has been my observations on how Sterns raising the bar and moving forward. The past 4 titles have been amazing. SM is a classic. It's solid, but I think things have improved since 2007. SM seems dated now. That's the best way I can describe it. For the 5.5K-6.5K price tag, I can easily overlook the game for what it has to offer.

#13 11 years ago

SM is a great game, but I like TF LE better. I am aware that most folks will disagree with that, but I find that I get more absorbed in TF than in SM. I liked the Spider-Man movies more than the Transformer movies, but that did not carry over to the pins for me.

I agree that TF has a more modern feel to it and I have less reverence for older pins vs. newer pins than most Pinsiders. I think the "good old days" are dawning right now.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Tommi_Gunn said:

What smassa said 100 %
    I had IM,sold it. Kept SM

#15 11 years ago

Picked up my SM right after I played SM and TFLE side by side many times up in Breckenridge...I think TFLE is a beauty and does have a more modern feel to it but I just couldn't get into it...

SM and LOTR are the two best Sterns imo of all the ones I've played....

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

SM is a great game, but I like TF LE better. I am aware that most folks will disagree with that, but I find that I get more absorbed in TF than in SM. I liked the Spider-Man movies more than the Transformer movies, but that did not carry over to the pins for me.
    I agree that TF has a more modern feel to it and I have less reverence for older pins vs. newer pins than most Pinsiders. I think the "good old days" are dawning right now.

I totally agree with you! Plus, LoTR plays so slow next to TFLE. TF is great for its speed, flow, sounds, and music. Great game; very underappreciated here and not sure why.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from BinGhanem:

SM was in a bad condition, I think the magnet didn't work, many lights didn't work either ..etc

Make them an offer. Save another pin from the wild. I know of a SM locally in a bar. With the price that title has been getting lately, I am think about offering him more than he would expect, fixing it and selling. Justin....stay away.......

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

SM and LOTR are the two best Sterns imo of all the ones I've played

+1 with a possible addition of TSPP. (don't know if YOU have played it, though.)

#19 11 years ago

Spiderman and transformers run on the exact same SAM chipset, have identical component parts, and are pretty much identical as far as "feel". Flipper angles are the same, pop number components and slingshot components are the same, etc Stern games from 2007 are not classics or old. They're current.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

spiderman and Transformers run on the exact same SAM chipset, have identical component parts, and are pretty much identical as far as "feel". Flipper angles are the same, pop number components and slingshot components are the same, etc Stern games from 2007 are not classics or old. They're current.

Mostly true and if You add some LED lighting you get that modern "FEEL"

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

+1 with a possible addition of TSPP. (don't know if YOU have played it, though.)

Do really like that one too TG.....the ones I've played in the wild had bad mini flippers and just didn't have enough games on it to get really deep....

The next tier on my list would be BDK, TSSP, WPT and POTC.....

I thought Tron Pro was awful, love to play an LE though and I didn't really like IM either....

Haven't played AC/DC yet but it sounds pretty cool...

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

TF is great for its speed, flow, sounds, and music. Great game; very underappreciated here and not sure why.

+100

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The next tier on my list would be BDK, TSSP, WPT and POTC.....

I would add Family Guy to that list

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

Mostly true and if You add some LED lighting you get that modern "FEEL"

Maybe it was the LE lighting on TF, ramps and side rails that made it "feel" different....it was right out of the box courtesy of Eric's and Ballsofsteel!

SM is just a whole lot more fun to me......LOTR is more work and a bigger challenge for sure...

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

I would add Family Guy to that list

That's one I've never played...probably because I just never got into the show..but I know a lot of people really like it...

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe it was the LE lighting on TF, ramps and side rails that made it "feel" different....it was right out of the box courtesy of Eric's and Ballsofsteel!

SM is just a whole lot more fun to me......LOTR is more work and a bigger challenge for sure...

I agree Ice

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That's one I've never played...probably because I just never got into the show..but I know a lot of people really like it...

I do not like the show and I do not the simpsons show either ,But I like the pinballs.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Do really like that one too TG.....the ones I've played in the wild had bad mini flippers and just didn't have enough games on it to get really deep...

Exactly! I couldn't stand the game until Justin got one (and of course, it was nearly flawless) That was when I got a new appreciation for the title. BDK would be my number 1 Stern if it wasn't for the unbalance of the ramp. It really is a looker though.

IM...really like it but it kicks my butt! Have not played POTC or WPT or FGY, either.

I actually enjoyed TF LE until I started thinking about it too much. Then the things I didn't like started to take over. It is still a pretty cool game though. Just not a keeper for me.

I can't quit typing tonight for some reason so I am backing away now. Adios, peeps.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Stern games from 2007 are not classics or old

I agree with you Markmon. I was unclear in separating my two statements. SM is a modern game. I just like TF LE more. The older games I refer to are the 1990s B and C list games. And even some of the much-loved A listers. Just my personal likes and dislikes.

#30 11 years ago

markmon said:Stern games from 2007 are not classics or old
    I agree with you Markmon. I was unclear in separating my two statements. SM is a modern game. I just like TF LE more. The older games I refer to are the 1990s B and C list games. And even some of the much-loved A listers. Just my personal likes and dislikes.

You probably wouldn't know it based on looking at my collection, but I prefer the feel, sounds, and play of the newer stern games over most the Williams games even though my Williams collection is mostly immaculate.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

iceman44 said:

Exactly! I couldn't stand the game until Justin got one (and of course, it was nearly flawless) That was when I got a new appreciation for the title. BDK would be my number 1 Stern if it wasn't for the unbalance of the ramp. It really is a looker though.

If by unbalance of the ramp you mean the number of shots required to complete Lucius, then I would suggest changing the setting for Lucius down one difficulty level. It will then be more in balance with the remaining objectives. Otherwise Lucius is a long grind compared to the rest of the wheel.

IMO of course after playing tons of games of BDK on factory settings.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Tommi_Gunn said:

What exactly did you do to Optimus? Why do you think you need stronger coils? The ones that ship with it are very strong.

Yeah, same questions here. I am really curious about Optimus. Was the gate modified to trigger the Optimus switch? Any photos?

I bet the game really flies without having to hit the ramp.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

If by unbalance of the ramp you mean the number of shots required to complete Lucius,

yeah, that is what i meant. It is gone now...maybe next time...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-played-tf-pro-and-sm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.