(Topic ID: 18356)

Just played Safe Cracker - Holy s$(t, I've been lied to!

By DrAzzy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bbb191180addb92d81ea77ef4f46c351.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I thought I knew pinball.

The name of God is Patrick Lawlor. The holy words He wrote to enlighten us mortals were the rules for Twilight Zone.

How have you all comited such purgery?!

The name of God is indeed Patrick Lawlor - but His holy words are the design documents for Safe Cracker. He knew, we were too good to challenge with the full sized flippers - we are beyond such mundane challenges. With three flippers all the smaller size, and timed play that challenges the 3-ball-luck of modern pinball... Safecracker is the true Word of Lawlor.

I got my first chance to play it today, and my god, it just blows the rest of my collection away. It implements the "play right, damnit" Pat Lawlor philosophy better than any other machine i've played.

On that topic, T> Twilight Zone for Safe Cracker + Cash, or No Fear + Cash for Safe Cracker (located in MA)

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity edited

#2 11 years ago

I don't like it.

Glad you do though. And I do love me some PL!

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I don't like it.
Glad you do though. And I do love me some PL!

I am with RobT on this one.

#4 11 years ago

Sounds like someone's been to Lanes & Games! They had just finished putting that in when I went on Saturday. Really cool game. Was lucky enough to make it to the vault and have a token come flying out at me.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

No Fear + Cash for Safe Cracker

If you want SC badly, I'd suggest you trade your NF IMHO.

#6 11 years ago

Safecracker is a great game and very unique. Looks like a cute little kiddie game (like Mario Mushroom), but underneath it's hiding full size pinball machine components crammed into a cute package that kicks ass.

#7 11 years ago

Larry DeMar put Lawlor on the map !

#8 11 years ago

SC is indeed a great game.
Plays better with the 1inch pinballs that back alley creations sells.

SC does need to be setup correctly, when it's not leveled well it can be very hard, flippers need enough power to make the ramp in 1 try, ... but once it's setup it's an excellent game.

if you want a weird experience, play some games on SC and then play a widebody like IJ or DM.
Suddenly these games seem soo huge and slow.. but because the flipper size is larger it suddenly seems much easier to control the pinball..

#9 11 years ago

I really enjoyed my time on SC as well. It's one unique and fun pin IMO. Hope you get one and love it!

#10 11 years ago

I made the mistake of selling mine (needed the money) and I bought another one that wont be leaving my collection ever!!! Once you understand the rules the game rocks plus you have assault on the vault.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I am with RobT on this one.

Well, I'm sure the OP appreciates you guys NOT liking a game he posted about liking.
Sheesh. Wtf? Bunny stompers...shaking my head.....

#12 11 years ago

Back OT...

I think SC is a great game and unappreciated. I do wish ATV was tied more directly into the regular game but there is something about dropping that token that doesn't get old. To many it is just a flail fest but if you can make shots and set yourself up for an easy bank heist it is quite a fun pin.

bbb191180addb92d81ea77ef4f46c351.jpgbbb191180addb92d81ea77ef4f46c351.jpg

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

I thought I knew pinball.
The name of God is Patrick Lawlor. The holy words He wrote to enlighten us mortals were the rules for Twilight Zone.
How have you all comited such purgery?!
The name of God is indeed Patrick Lawlor - but His holy words are the design documents for Safe Cracker. He knew, we were too good to challenge with the full sized flippers - we are beyond such mundane challenges. With three flippers all the smaller size, and timed play that challenges the 3-ball-luck of modern pinball... Safecracker is the true Word of Lawlor.
I got my first chance to play it today, and my god, it just blows the rest of my collection away. It implements the "play right, damnit" Pat Lawlor philosophy better than any other machine i've played.
On that topic, T> Twilight Zone for Safe Cracker + Cash, or No Fear + Cash for Safe Cracker (located in MA)

How about my HUO BDK for your NF+cash???

#14 11 years ago

Safecracker is a great game get one while you can, once collectors pickup the other "A" listers they will all be fighting over any that come on the market.

#15 11 years ago

SC is an amazing cool game but as I have found out twice with a small collection it just doesn't have the staying power. Super fun, awesome light show but never was the game I would jump on it I have a few minutes to play pinball. Honestly most of its attention came from guests that were not into pinball that found it unique and cool.

If you know of one for a good price I would scoop it up as they are pretty high just like everything lately. Make sure the wings are they, tokens and most are know to have bad fade.

GL in the search

#16 11 years ago

The biggest thing to check is for playfield warping. The playfield stiffeners are split and the amount of mechs will make the playfield dip dramatically. There were some aftermarket under playfield stiffeners that we're made by a guy on RGP(I know the evil empire, right? ) that took the warp out of mine and the game plays 1000x better.

#17 11 years ago

Forgot about the warping TaylorVA...luckily never had that on either of mine. Too much stuff packed into a little space

#18 11 years ago

My old playfield was warped by at least 1/2".

I was hesitant to put in my new field until I could figure out how to fix it an thankfully someone else beat me to it.

That and the ramp repros will hopefully bring some back to life. Amazing that they were blown out by dist. Man I wish I had a time machine.

#19 11 years ago

It's cute, little kids and little people sized, shoulda been operated in BANKS when it came out!

#20 11 years ago

I love it, and will definitely have one in my collection at some point.

#21 11 years ago

I used to really want one, but after playing a few times, and again recently, a really nice one, I realised that all the games are very much the same, and there isn't a lot of depth. It is a great idea, but I'm now worried of the repetition of it after a while, especially for the going price tag.

I am a massive 90s Lawlor fan as well BTW.

#22 11 years ago

Glad you liked it! I'd go for SMBMW if I wanted a cocktail game more though, as I like it far better.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Well, I'm sure the OP appreciates you guys NOT liking a game he posted about liking.

This is what the pinball hobby is all about ! Hating games that others like ! I hate all my games except for one .

Jim

#24 11 years ago

I would only want SC in my collection as a collectible. I like the idea of the timed play (and wish it was utilized on more games), but I've just never thought it was good for more than a few plays. For the cost of it, I would want a much better playing game. It definitely needs to be played with the other size balls to make it better. It's so different, it does find a place in a large collection.

#25 11 years ago

I've had a couple, and like the game, but when the value got so high, I couldn't justify keeping it. Just like I did with MM and AFM. Fun games, but not *that* much fun to me. I'd rather have a Flintstones and WCS and still have some $$ left over.

Maybe I'll have another someday.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Sheesh. Wtf? Bunny stompers...shaking my head.....

Good lord Taylor, really?

We all have to jump on board with the "rah rah this is the best pin EVAR" otherwise we can't post an opposing opinion? I thought this was a discussion board about pinball? Is it required that we all like the same games?

So I guess you think that in response to this thread, instead of posting here, I should have started my own thread saying "SC is not a good pin" or something to that effect?

Sheesh. I get the feeling that if you weren't such a fan of SC you would not have had a problem with a couple people voicing opposing OPINIONS.

My post seemed pretty innocuous, and I said I was glad that he enjoyed it, and I do love PL designs overall. JUST NOT THIS ONE.

Sorry that apparently hurts your feelings Taylor. I still don't like it.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Metalpin:

I would only want SC in my collection as a collectible. I like the idea of the timed play (and wish it was utilized on more games), but I've just never thought it was good for more than a few plays. For the cost of it, I would want a much better playing game. It definitely needs to be played with the other size balls to make it better. It's so different, it does find a place in a large collection.

Careful! According to Taylor, we are only supposed to post here if we agree with the OP that it's a great game.

What's wrong with you?!

#28 11 years ago

Seriously. Different people have different opinions. That poster needs to reclassify what he considers "WTF"-worthy. My God, we're all supposed to be a bunch of Lemmings now. Wussification of America in progress.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Good lord Taylor, really?
We all have to jump on board with the "rah rah this is the best pin EVAR" otherwise we can't post an opposing opinion? I thought this was a discussion board about pinball? Is it required that we all like the same games?
So I guess you think that in response to this thread, instead of posting here, I should have started my own thread saying "SC is not a good pin" or something to that effect?
Sheesh. I get the feeling that if you weren't such a fan of SC you would not have had a problem with a couple people voicing opposing OPINIONS.
My post seemed pretty innocuous, and I said I was glad that he enjoyed it, and I do love PL designs overall. JUST NOT THIS ONE.
Sorry that apparently hurts your feelings Taylor. I still don't like it.

Let me wipe the years away, okay that's done.

Wtf was the point of your post at all? Just to tell someone that you don't like the pin that they do? Well as I said I'm sure it was much appreciated.

If your comment had been constructive in ANY way I could see the point in posting but you're just
Pissing in someone's cornflakes. Maybe not having anything to offer to the conversation left you feeling left out or something. I don't know. Sniff ..sniff....

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Let me wipe the years away, okay that's done.
Wtf was the point of your post at all? Just to tell someone that you don't like the pin that they do? Well as I said I'm sure it was much appreciated.
If your comment had been constructive in ANY way I could see the point in posting but you're just
Pissing in someone's cornflakes. Maybe not having anything to offer to the conversation left you feeling left out or something. I don't know. Sniff ..sniff....

So you are making a big deal out of this because I didn't give reasons that I don't like it? As though I'm going to change the OPs mind? Really? If it will make you happy: I don't like the timed aspect of the game. I know you are penalized for losing the ball, but it just seems wrong to me to have a certain amount of time to play the ball (it is for this reason that I don't care for LITZ much as a wizard mode). Also don't like the fact that it feels like a mini pinball machine, and I don't like the mini flippers. It's a unique pin, and I give Lawlor credit for doing something completely new, it just doesn't work for me.

#31 11 years ago

I'm glad someone posted this. This is one of my favorite games. Not only because it is so different being so interactive and having a small playfield, but playing it requires a different approach. It is difficult to control the ball in this game but it is possible. Having gameplay timed as opposed to # of balls allowed addresses this IMO due to there is indeed a bit more flailing involved. It's amazing how much stuff Lawlor crammed into such a small playfield. I really need to get down to L&G to play this....I assume the SC Mike put in there is immaculate. I'm still searching for one for myself.

#32 11 years ago

I would love to have a SC at some point. But that's well down the road. It's definitely one of my favorite pins, though. I still have a couple of those tokens in my collection, too. I used to love how proud I was to walk up to the SC and insert one of those things and watch the other arcade patrons gaze in wonderment of my splendor. Well, in my head that's what they were doing.....

#33 11 years ago

I love Safe Cracker ! I like the idea of a "timed game". To finish tasks, and extend your time doing it. For the theam, the entire timed idea is perfect! Also, to put the coin that you won, back into the game for an amazing multiball round is Priceless! +1

The only thing I Do Not Like about the game... You'd better have some small hands as a Tech to work on the darn thing! Talking about packing in lots of hardware on a playfield! This bad boy is crazy!

-Aaron

#34 11 years ago

It's a discussion thread, opinions should always be welcome. No one bashed anything. Do we all have to like every machine? Do we all have to be yes men to contribute a post? If I write a thread on how much I can't stand CFTBL, does that mean no one is allowed to chirp in stating they do? Can we form opinions and be able to express these?

geeez...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-played-safe-cracker-holy-shit-ive-been-lied-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.