Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by dnhayden
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

puffyjayz.jpg

#1 12 years ago

Ok, since very few people have seen this yet, I should probably give a review on it. I witnessed the unboxing and played the 3rd player in the first game (4 players). Won too. Afterward we updated to the most recent ROM (1.1?) and got schooled by Trent in no time.

I didn't bring my phone in, so I have no pics, but we all have seen the pics on this machine. The face on the playfield is bigger than it looks in the pics online, but you really don't notice that, more about that not noticing in a bit. The outer cabinet looks very nice except for some strange decal work making the cabinet look intentionally dinged up. This doesn't make much sense, but the AC/DC logo is red and vibrant outside of that. Backglass.. well, it's the backglass. AC/DC, great for them.

I guess I should preface by saying, AC/DC is not my band. They are not fantastic to me, I hear it play and its not remotely special. I like some classic rock but they're not my cup o tea. That said, at first power on, the sound is fantastic. Trent said there wasn't a sound upgrade on the pro models, but this sounded much better than Transformers to me, clarity from bitrate improvements? No idea, but it sounds good.

So back to the face, initially you do see that giant head, but as soon as that ball is launched, you won't be looking around. This game is lightning fast, blindingly fast, retarded fast. The skill shot is easy as usual, but there is a super skill shot from holding the right flipper on launch, which is a bit more difficult. Just about every result from launching is the ball rocketing toward the flipper, sometimes going SDTM. Gonna need that ball save, best hope you didn't have too much time in the pop bumpers.

Once some manner of control is gained your main shots are for the ramps usually, but every song has its own set of modes that are started with it, there are separate high scores individually for each of these modes, so the ramps won't be your only target. Also, until you get a certain amount of points on these modes, you won't be getting to change the song you're listening to, after these points are reached you can hit the top jukebox target and 'play records' as it were.
    The drop targets seem awfully hard to maintain control with, clearly ricocheting the ball from one side target to the TNT targets would be the safest bet. In my excitement and flailing I didn't bother to make this observation while playing and did lose balls. The ramps have 5 or 10 shots that need to be made to activate the multiball and the right ramp will sometimes go to the cannon.
    Also, when hitting the ramps, there are certain familiar voice callouts on the ramps. Familiar to those who have played No Fear. The samples 'You're on Fire' and 'Do it Again!' are exactly the same from the skull. I love this, apparently there was drama at Stern over this. I don't care, the Steve Richie skull voice is awesome.

The cannon is a neat toy, not innovative or different than T2, but it is fun and worth having in the game.

The DMD is LED based, still just red, but not as prone to death as the gas displays, and looks vibrant. I also think it's worth mentioning that there isn't any 'live' video footage that has looked off on past games, so it's more purely Stern programming. No spontaneous blob of what must have been a movie clip, but not perceivable due to a muddy display.
    Also, the images on the DMD are very cartoon-y in nature. Kind of wacky, but I'm not sure what else would be better in the case of the theme. I also despise the match event with the mooning Angus, but I guess that's an AC/DC thing too? Geriatric ass isn't really something I want to see but I can't have it all.

Overall, I can see this being a tournament pin easily. The difficulty level of the game is out of control with the speed of the game. None of us, not even Trent got completely through a song, but getting to change tracks could have had something to do with that. First time pinball players will hate the gameplay here, but long time players who want a challenge will like this as much as Iron Man. Did it make me a fan of AC/DC? Nope! But the playability makes me want to play it again and again.

So overall the pro, without the extra ramp or playfield is a great game, I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 which bodes well for you LE buyers.

#2 12 years ago

Thanks for the review ! I am buying both LEs ! Seriously ... One for me and one for my buddy.

This is going to be fun !

Jim

#3 12 years ago

Thanks for the review!

#4 12 years ago

Makes me want one!!

#5 12 years ago

Nice review, Blakesell! That pretty much jives with my feelings after playing this afternoon. It's certainly one fast son of a bitch. Very challenging. One thing I found interesting is that you can not only backhand both ramps, but you can also backhand the left orbit. I'm jealous of all you guys that ordered an LE. It's going to be awesome!

#6 12 years ago

If the Pro's good, than AC/DC LE will be epic!!!

#7 12 years ago

Just to clarify. The sound package is supposed to be upgraded in the Pro and Premium. Just not a speaker upgrade that the LE has.

The game does sound very nice.

#8 12 years ago

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to playing and owning an LE (I'll find out tomorrow).

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

This game is lightning fast, blindingly fast, retarded fast.

Good review, I liked that part most

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

The outer cabinet looks very nice except for some strange decal work making the cabinet look intentionally dinged up. This doesn't make much sense, but the AC/DC logo is red and vibrant outside of that.

At the factory tour with Steve R. he pointed that out. The AC/DC band specifically asked him to make the cabinet look "F'd up". Steve said he had to find a balance with what the band wanted but selling a "f'd up" cabinet to collector really wouldn't work. Thus by design it looks a bit beaten.

Thanks for review.

#11 12 years ago

"Awrite, make the cabinet looked effed up. And I want em to see me arse. Dunna care how ya do it,jus do it ."

#12 12 years ago

Good review, thanks.

Quoted from McCune:

I am buying both LEs ! Seriously ...

That's awesome Jim!

#13 12 years ago

1.21 should be the latest. Game is the fun fun fun

#14 12 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from trent:

Just to clarify. The sound package is supposed to be upgraded in the Pro and Premium. Just not a speaker upgrade that the LE has.
    The game does sound very nice.

Good to see you posting here Trent!

#16 12 years ago

rob was all like:
    Thanks for taking the time to write this.

No problem at all, I think just about anyone else would do the same if they were one of the first out of the gate to get the opportunity to play a new machine. Maybe I just think weird.

#17 12 years ago

I could not get a LTBR so I bought two BIBLEs ..

These AC/DC LEs are hot ! My supplier is sold out !

Jim

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

One thing I found interesting is that you can not only backhand both ramps, but you can also backhand the left orbit.

Yea that is part of the reason I love some of SR designs so many options for hitting different shots.

#19 12 years ago

Are some of the stand-up targets going to be replaced by drop targets on the LE? If so, this may actually make the game play slower. One of the great things about the Pro version is the way the ball ricochets off the stand-ups.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Are some of the stand-up targets going to be replaced by drop targets on the LE? If so, this may actually make the game play slower. One of the great things about the Pro version is the way the ball ricochets off the stand-ups.

That is my concern. I loved the speed of the Pro. If the LE is slower that would be a disappointment for sure.

#21 12 years ago

from the details I've seen on the sheets, the stands should be changed to drops, no idea on how that will effect speed, currently it does seem like that ball blasts right back at you from the TNT targets, so ya could be right. Jesus was probably right, we were chatting while the rom updated so I didn't look to be sure on the most recent update, just knew that it was.. an update..

But I didn't notice what the difference was on that update, I guess I didn't do well enough to get the changes?

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

From the details I've seen on the sheets, the stands should be changed to drops ...

All of them?

#23 12 years ago

http://www.pingamejournal.com/update/

well,
    FIVE bank AC/DC drop targets (left)
    THREE bank T.N.T. drop targets (center)
    Slam action target behind center T.N.T. drop target

By the sounds of that, you NEED the drop targets in order to get that slam target.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

FIVE bank AC/DC drop targets (left)
    THREE bank T.N.T. drop targets (center)

Very interesting. This will absolutely change the speed of the game. I wasn't a physics major, but I'm fairly certain a ball doesn't bounce off a drop target nearly as fast as it does off a stand-up target. I'm not saying it will make the game play worse, but it will definitely play much differently than the Pro.

#25 12 years ago

Wouldn't it be strange if the pro model was in more demand than the premium with it's lower playfield?

#26 12 years ago

so I bought two BIBLEs ..

Daaaaaaaaaamn, Honda!
    Are you sure you're not P. Diddy?!?

puffyjayz.jpgpuffyjayz.jpg

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Daaaaaaaaaamn, Honda!
    Are you sure you're not P. Diddy?!? [] []

LOL ,yeah right I picked one up for a friend, and we are working on getting a LTBRLE ! I hope we get one of each, but for sure we will get two.

Jim

#28 12 years ago

I heard pro is addictive and fast.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

LOL ,yeah right I picked one up for a friend, and we are working on getting a LTBRLE ! I hope we get one of each, but for sure we will get two.

Jim

Did you win big down in Mesquite or something??? Damn Jim. Good luck getting the LTBRLE (too).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-played-a-fresh-out-of-the-box-acdc-with-the-most-recent-rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.