Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Parts6.jpg.JPG
    Parts4.jpg.JPG
    Parts3.jpg.JPG
    Parts2.jpg.JPG
    Parts1.jpg.JPG
    Parts.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Not sure why I'm posting this. Probably just because of the expense. I usually wait until my EM parts order gets to the $100 threshold so I can get the 10% discount and make it.

This one has parts for three games for other people I am shopping. For the most part this is $5 and less items. Many less than $2.

Every time I get a parts order from PBR I'm somewhat ashamed at the cost versus the size of the box. At the same time I wouldn't have it any other way. They have exactly what I need at the best prices.

Mike O.
    Team-EM

#2 11 years ago

Sounds like some order Mike O

#3 11 years ago

Hey Mike,

That sounds about right for 3 machines. I would say an average for me is $150-$200 per machine and yes PBR gets most of that money followed by a distant second place for Marcos.

Ken

#4 11 years ago

I buy about 1/year from pinballlife. Usually bulbs and a few other things.

PBR gets all the rest of my business. Never gave them $500 though. Hats off to you MikeO. You win that round.

#5 11 years ago

I love the "not knowing how much you're spending until you read the invoice" part!

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Every time I get a parts order from PBR I'm somewhat ashamed at the cost versus the size of the box.
    Mike O.
    Team-EM

I feel the same way, I think I'm going to get a huge box of stuff only to find it fits in the mailbox.

#7 11 years ago

I put a 405.00 order once but had 2 set of legs so the order had some weight not the normal
    100.00 / 1 lb box

#8 11 years ago

Right there with ya. I constantly order parts and am amazed at the small box they come in

--Jeff

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Right there with ya. I constantly order parts and am amazed at the small box they come in
    --Jeff

I have an idea what the size of the box will be. The largest part this time was a coin entrance bezel for a Jumping Jack. Will still be small for the moeny. I'll take a picture and post here when it comes in.

Mike O.
    Team-EM

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

The largest part this time was a coin entrance bezel for a Jumping Jack.

Just playing that game tonight...nice!

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Hey Mike,
    That sounds about right for 3 machines. I would say an average for me is $150-$200 per machine and yes PBR gets most of that money followed by a distant second place for Marcos.
    Ken

Ken,

I try to keep my costs for parts to about $50-$70 per EM when I shop them. I like the originality of mostly original parts. I don't go to town replacing everything that I can. Usually just a ring kit, rebuild of flipper wear parts, rebuild of pop bumper wear parts, and then the odd broken items that you can never predict. Other than that I really prefer cleaning up what came with the game to make it as nice as I can. I'd find it difficult to spend $150 unless it needs a plastics set or something more major like that.

Mike O.
    Team-EM

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Just playing that game tonight...nice!

I'll be playing some this weekend if all goes to plan.

Mike O.
    Team-EM

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Ken,

I try to keep my costs for parts to about $50-$70 per EM when I shop them. I like the originality of mostly original parts.

Hey MikeO

I collect my machines with the intention of keeping them so that is why I put in the extra effort and parts as opposed to folks who fix or flip and turn machines for a living, not saying that this is what you do as I do not know, but to each their own ways as I am glad to see folks work on EM's in their own way rather than just playing the heck out of them and not even changing a ball or waxing a Playfield.

As far as original parts I try to keep them as well unless they are too far gone like heavily rusted legs, broken plastics, dis-colored Playfield Posts, etc. I have not even painted a Cabinet to date or Clearcoat a Playfield, so yes I stick with original, so yes those part costs can just kind of creep up on you.

Ken

#14 11 years ago

I have done a $500 order from PBR once when I was shopping a Spirit of 76 and Royal Flush. Both got new plastic sets, drop targets, bumper caps, posts, rubber and everything rebuilt and broken stuff replaced. I had a real tough time with one of the royal flush flippers. The set screw broke so I had to use my dremel to cut the flipper shaft to remove it. That took a second order for all those extra parts. Atleast they're working perfectly now. And a lot more fun to play than unshopped!

#15 11 years ago

Really? cut the shaft?! Did you try to drill out the broken part of the set screw? Perhaps it's harder than the surrounding metal? (I think I successfully did this once, that's why I ask)

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Really? cut the shaft?!

I would in a heartbeat with my grinder if I was rebuilding the whole Flipper assembly as I could get it off in 5 seconds.

If for some reason I was keeping the Flipper assembly then I would do it the tedious way and use a screw extractor.

Ken

#17 11 years ago

Didn't we just talk about saving most original parts in another thread?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Hey MikeO
    I collect my machines with the intention of keeping them so that is why I put in the extra effort and parts as opposed to folks who fix or flip and turn machines for a living, not saying that this is what you do as I do not know, but to each their own ways as I am glad to see folks work on EM's in their own way rather than just playing the heck out of them and not even changing a ball or waxing a Playfield.
    As far as original parts I try to keep them as well unless they are too far gone like heavily rusted legs, broken plastics, dis-colored Playfield Posts, etc. I have not even painted a Cabinet to date or Clearcoat a Playfield, so yes I stick with original, so yes those part costs can just kind of creep up on you.
    Ken

Ken,

I wasn't really inferring anything with my comments regarding what I put into a game. I can tell you are a true EM devote. To read between the lines I try not to have to spend more than about $50-$70 shopping out a game in that I try to obtain games that don't need much more than that to get them going. I totally understand when you have parts that have to be replaced and the costs go up. I've been there.

Mike O.

#19 11 years ago

Hmm, I wonder if this is the reason I could not get through yesterday and just kept getting that busy signal. $500 is truly impressive. Hats off, I hope they toss in some extra bulbs or rings or something.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

I love the "not knowing how much you're spending until you read the invoice" part!

Now that's funny!

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Hmm, I wonder if this is the reason I could not get through yesterday and just kept getting that busy signal. $500 is truly impressive. Hats off, I hope they toss in some extra bulbs or rings or something.

Sorry, nerdygrrl, it wasn't me. I emailed my order in on Tuesday.

I've been ordering from PBR for 15 years now. I used to fax my orders in and follow up with a call because invariably there was an item I needed to talk to Steve about. When you do get Steve on the phone he may bend your ear about his recent challenges. One of those challenges that continues from year to year has been the ever growing volume of new pinball owners/customers that are pursuing their parts from PBR. It was difficult to get through on the phone then and I'm sure it's similar now. You just have to sit there and pound on the redial.

I rarely call now. I have catalogs for Bally, Williams, and Gottlieb EM games. And the late model games all have the parts numbers in the manuals. So at every opportunity I look up the part number for what I need and include that in the email. So my orders get to them more complete and intelligent. The only issues with my 35 item order this week was they questioned if I really wanted 3 Williams chime rebuild kits (as opposed to a single rebuild kit which would address the three chimes on a Williams chime unit) which I did want 3, and the Gottlieb pop bumper bodies I included for the Jumping Jack I'm working on were out of stock due to Don Murphy's death last fall.

Good luck with your future orders.

Mike O.
    Team-EM

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Really? cut the shaft?! Did you try to drill out the broken part of the set screw? Perhaps it's harder than the surrounding metal? (I think I successfully did this once, that's why I ask)

I usually try and salvage as many original parts as possible. If there are broken parts of course I change them. In this situation I tried using my dremel to cut a slot on what was left of the screw so I could try and turn it out with a flat head screwdriver. That didn't work very well. I may have had better success if I had treated the screw with penetrating oil first to get things looser. That particular screw was rusted on really good.

I then decided to cut the shaft. In speaking with Steve he says it's common for the screw to snap and then one has to cut the shaft. He has all the replacement parts but they are not original. I think he sent me some bally parts to replace. Everything worked out fine in the end. Just cost me more $$$.

#23 11 years ago

OK, Here are pictures.

Parts.jpgParts.jpg Parts1.jpg.JPGParts1.jpg.JPG Parts2.jpg.JPGParts2.jpg.JPG Parts3.jpg.JPGParts3.jpg.JPG Parts4.jpg.JPGParts4.jpg.JPG Parts6.jpg.JPGParts6.jpg.JPG

#24 11 years ago

Came in at $498.

Mike O.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Probably just because of the expense. I usually wait until my EM parts order gets to the $100 threshold so I can get the 10% discount and make it.

I love working with PBR & Steve, they are my 1st choice in parts search.
    Since they offer 10% discount for over $100 and you ordered +$500 is it 50% off?
    Ha ha ha ha

#26 11 years ago

Lots of coil stops in that pile. They are getting expensive. I try to reuse old ones when I can these days if they are in good shape (though always put new in flippers when rebuilding).

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Lots of coil stops in that pile. They are getting expensive. I try to reuse old ones when I can these days if they are in good shape (though always put new in flippers when rebuilding).

Yeah, the coil stops are all for rebuilding flippers. That's one of the first things I do along with new flipper links and plungers.

Mike O.
    Team-EM

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

Since they offer 10% discount for over $100 and you ordered +$500 is it 50% off?Ha ha ha ha

With that logic I would only place orders of $1000 and get it all for free.

I'm not holding my breath.

Mike O.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-placed-an-em-only-parts-order-that-im-sure-will-exceed-500-with-pbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.