(Topic ID: 52241)

just picked up my personal "holy grail" of EM pins...

By cosmokramer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by desertT1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG4158.jpg
th-3.jpeg
IMG_20130530_072258.jpg
IMG_20130530_072251.jpg
IMG_20130530_072330.jpg
IMG_20130529_102128.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I just got home with the only EM pinball on my wishlist...a 1976 gottleib Buccaneer.
I have wanted this machine since I was a kid as this title was in the Tustin boys club in the late 70's where I spent hours pumping quarters into it while drinking boysenberry slushes.
Cabinet and playfield in decent shape, however the backglass is mint.

I plan on a complete restoration at some point, this machine will not leave my collection.

Special thanks to fellow pinsider Mikeincali, a great guy who hooked me up for a fair price.

IMG_20130529_102128.jpgIMG_20130529_102128.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Excellent! Enjoy your game!

Marcus

#3 10 years ago

Cool! I just bought 2 Buccaneers. A friend of mine is combining them to make one decent one, and he'll keep the "player". I agree that this is a fun EM!

#4 10 years ago

Great game. Glad you could add one to your collection !

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

Congrats - always good when someone gets their HG machine! I have good memories of playing Buccaneer when I was kid in Calgary back in the 70's. Haven't played it since though I do know of someone who has one locally now...

#6 10 years ago

Congrats on the addition!

#7 10 years ago

Congrats - great game !

#8 10 years ago

Congrats!! I have never seen one of these in person, but it looks nice. I just got my parents' EM to my house for a clean-up so it can be shown off instead of stuck in a basement, and I'm having more fun with it than I thought I would. Enjoy it!

#9 10 years ago

WTG!
Gotta love the personal Holy Grail pickup.

Q: If you're a pirate, where are the rest of your buccaneers?
A: They're under my buckin' hat!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

WTG!
Gotta love the personal Holy Grail pickup.
Q: If you're a pirate, where are the rest of your buccaneers?
A: They're under my buckin' hat!

Har dee har har buckin' har!

OP, Congrats on finding "your" game! I haven't had that moment, YET!

#12 10 years ago

Great game, congrats with your new game

#13 10 years ago

There is one on eBay now if you are looking for parts

#14 10 years ago

I played one recently at an auction. It wasn't working 100% and was really rough but was fun to play. If I ever find one in good shape for a good price, I will likely add it to my collection as well. Congrats on finding one of your holy grail games. Mine was Star Gazer and after nearly five years of searching I finally got mine.

-- Shawn

#15 10 years ago

Congrats.

#16 10 years ago

Congrats on the purchase. Everyone gravitates to the first table that made them fall in love with pinball. I got mine recently, 'Blackout'. BTW, the first EM pin I played extensively was Four Million B.C. which my uncle had in his Gasthaus in Germany back when on vacation there in '74. He put it on freeplay for me.

#17 10 years ago

Great game enjoy.

#18 10 years ago

How about some more pics!?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

How about some more pics!?

and videos !?
and a summary of the rules !?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

and videos !?
and a summary of the rules !?

...and a burger with fries! If you don't mind.

#21 10 years ago

That is a nice looking EM game. Posts some more pics for us all to enjoy!

#22 10 years ago

It is a beauty! My grail is a Gottlieb EM, too. We must be aging like fine wine.

#23 10 years ago

That is a nice looking EM game. Posts some more pics for us all to enjoy!

I will be doing the cabinet repainting/restenciling and mechanical restoration myself.
Backglass is perfect.
I will have someone more talented than myself do the playfield.

I have not seen or played this machine since I was 10 years old, it seems smaller than I remember(for obvious reasons)

IMG_20130530_072330.jpgIMG_20130530_072330.jpg IMG_20130530_072251.jpgIMG_20130530_072251.jpg IMG_20130530_072258.jpgIMG_20130530_072258.jpg

#24 10 years ago

That looks like a lot of fun. I like the pops down low and the center spinner shot. You gotta post up a video sometime.

Oh, and I think I know why the game seems smaller to you now......

#25 10 years ago

good find

i picked a really nice one up locally here a few months back (Woz i will have to have you and maybe some other vrpa members over to give it a go, and a few of my other wedges too )

on mine i have to clean up the fs relay (did i get that right?? the one the cycles the match number and free games ... )

it is a really fun game to play - i can make the center shot all day long .. it just feels good!

#26 10 years ago

I wonder what came first, the book or the pin.

th-3.jpegth-3.jpeg

#27 10 years ago

Does anybody know the production run number of this title?

#28 10 years ago

3650 according to IPDB

#29 10 years ago

Congrats! I tried bidding on one the other day...sigh. Would have been my first EM. I''m really wanting an older or machine or two now. I love the Buccaneer theme, but then again I live in the Tampa Bay area and we love our Bucs and Gasparilla.

Been watching EMs for sometime now they are finally getting some love. Values seem to be rising pretty fast on a number of titles.

#30 10 years ago

The colorful artwork is by Gordon Morison. Seems he was quite busy at Gottlieb during the 70's and 1980 doing artwork for over 100 to 150 pinball machines. He did the artwork on your '76 Buccaneer, as well as on the 3 Gottlieb's that I have (78 Joker Poker, 79 Pinball Pool, 80 Asteroid Annie).

Ed Krynski was the designer for Buccaneer (and Joker Poker & Pinball Pool) and many other pins.

Hey, did you guys also check out the artwork and playfield on the 1948 Gottlieb Buccaneer?

Mike

#31 10 years ago

I have a ship ahoy. I bought it not working. I planned on selling it. After getting it up and running, it is a keeper for me.

#32 10 years ago

Nice score! Looks like it's in pretty good shape already.

#33 10 years ago

Did I read that right? You're repainting it? Why? If the few small nicks and bumps bother you, why not just touch it up? That cabinet looks pretty minty to me. A very nice original paint cab. is worth more and obviously more authentic.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Did I read that right? You're repainting it? Why? If the few small nicks and bumps bother you, why not just touch it up? That cabinet looks pretty minty to me. A very nice original paint cab. is worth more and obviously more authentic.

the cabinet looks much worse in person than in the photos, however you are not the first person to tell me I should probably leave it the way it is...looks like im just going to clean it up as best I can but still do the mechanical work and see how it comes out IMAG4158.jpgIMAG4158.jpg

#35 10 years ago

There was one locally for a while. I was tempted, but with a '69 Bally's in the garage, I don't think another semi-project would have been very welcome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-picked-up-my-personal-holy-grail-of-em-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.