(Topic ID: 129657)

Just picked up my first EM, a Zaccaria Ten Stars, looking for info

By Spencer

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So I just picked up my first EM machine, always wanted to have a EM project, to try something different. Game wise, I'm probably going to need some help later on, it powers on but wont kick a ball. Ill see if I can figure it out myself before asking for help. Not sure if it has any other issues yet but the playfield and plastics are in amazing condition. Cant wait to get into this one!

What I am wondering about is the game itself, I cant seem to find much info on it online. Is it rare? odd? popular? etc.. The info I've found is really limited, just its a Zaccaria and made in 1976, though some spots say 1975.

#2 8 years ago

The game itself is in really good condition, in fact the playfield and plastics are super nice! Im going to need a manual to fix the rest of it though.... any help?

When I first picked it up, no GI worked, I fixed that, fuse was good, fuse holder not so much. Scoring did work but has since stopped working sometimes and will not reset. I can see a bad/burnt coil on the scoring reels, far left one. Ball will not eject by it self, except every once in a while it does, suspect again, it needs a new coil.

Also, there is a plastic auger looking piece in the cabinet that just spins and spins most of the time.

Honestly, where is the best place to start with this? ( I've confirmed, fixed all fuses and soldered any loose wires I could see )

#3 8 years ago

Mate,
It's basically a Williams based game designed & built in Italy. They are usually good players with bullet proof playfields. Well built with most parts available because they are Williams. All the coils, flipper stuff, steppers, score units etc. are Williams. Pop plastics can be replaced with late Gottlieb EM, they will fit but may not be available with the same art. Fuse holders do not last and often need replacing. Game will not reset to a new game if the score units do not all reset to zero, so if one has a knackered coil, it won't reset. Try manually stepping the unit with the bad coil to zero and then see if it will start a game. Coils can be had from many suppliers, try the pinball resouce, he is excellent for bits. The schematic will give you the coil number, or take it off another score unit coil, they're all the same. Try here and click on electromechanical games, then games & documentation. Schematics are available for download, no manual though.
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/em/index.html

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!!

I manually reset all reels to zero and it did indeed start a new game finally. Still have some major issues but at least that issue has a root cause. Guess I'll order at least one coil.... question now is, where to stop with new parts....lol

Still that screw type plastic wheel in the cabinet keeps spinning and spinning all the time though. Any idea what may be causing that?

#5 8 years ago

A stuck playfield switch can cause the score motor to run continuously, or an incomplete reset sequence. Since the game wouldn't kick a ball out without manually zeroing the reels, I would check the score reel switches, specifically the run out switches (the switch which tells the machine it is on a number between 1 and 8.

But first, I would look for stuck playfield switches that would be trying to continuously score.

Beyond that, a schematic is pretty much necessary for me.

-Nick

#6 8 years ago

What do you mean by 'screw type plastic wheel'? Is it the unit with several white plastic cams on a shaft, with switch banks on each cam? Can you post a picture.

#7 8 years ago

Yes, that is what im talking about. It spins all the time and will not shut off.

So here is where I'm at:

Reset all score reels to zero manually, game starts, everything seems to work. ( I can see a burnt coil, will replace )

Once game is turned on, ball in trough, the "white plastic cam" spins and spins...

Hit start button, nothing changes, cam keeps spinning, ball wont kick out. ( suspect coil again, will replace )

Manually kick ball out, "white plastic cam" stops spinning. Game plays perfectly....

Until all 4 drop targets are knocked down, then "white plastic cam" starts spinning again and will not stop.

I guess at this point my best coarse of action would be to replace the 2 known bad coils and then see where I'm at??

#8 8 years ago

Yes, and download that schematic and get it printed. Much easier to use .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-picked-up-my-first-em-a-zaccaria-ten-stars-looking-for-info and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.