View topic image gallery

LOTR_6.JPG
LOTR_5.JPG
LOTR_4.JPG
LOTR_2.JPG
LOTR_1.JPG
1-DSC00177.JPG
IMG_0320.jpg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I just picked up a super sweet LOTR pin and playing the heck out of it. I know I will definitely be throwing in the LEDs and a few more spotlights. I already dimmed the backbox. It currently has the flashed mod and the extra plastic pieces on the path of the dead. This is a 2002 run I think, well thats what the copyright says. Not sure how to tell.

My question is, what else to add to this? I saw the website for making the path of the dead green guys, will definitely do that one of these Fridays. I've also seen the ring shooter mod, that is pretty cool, but anything else?

#2 11 years ago

Make sure that if the post to the left of the ring ramp is not modded, you do so, so you don't peen the leftedge of the ramp.

Congrats! Valinor awaits....

Dan

#3 11 years ago

If you don't mind upgrading some chips in your pin to make it an unofficial LE, add a shaker motor. It's really well integrated with the Balrog and various other modes.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Make sure that if the post to the left of the ring ramp is not modded, you do so, so you don't peen the leftedge of the ramp.
Congrats! Valinor awaits....
Dan

Anything specific I should do to it?

Quoted from LilRocky:If you don't mind upgrading some chips in your pin to make it an unofficial LE, add a shaker motor. It's really well integrated with the Balrog and various other modes.

Yeah, I just read a bit online. That would be sweet. Game would be sweet with a sub in it too, going to add one.

#5 11 years ago

Add a high score!

#6 11 years ago

The shaker motor is great. LEDs look horrible in LOTR, lots of white inserts.

IMO, just about every mod is extremely lame. The shaker motor is at least installing a feature I consider missing, since it exists in the LE. Cluttering the game up with a bunch of cheap junk takes away from the gameplay and the look.

#7 11 years ago

+1 for the shaker

Also, something to protect the shire. I have a few protectors left or use something temporary until Cliffy's is released. There is a whole thread on it if you want to read up on the problem and what is being done about it. Mine was to the point of splinting wood all over my playfield

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-shire-protector-available

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

IMO, just about every mod is extremely lame. The shaker motor is at least installing a feature I consider missing, since it exists in the LE. Cluttering the game up with a bunch of cheap junk takes away from the gameplay and the look.

I don't consider adding any sort of regular figurine from toys r us a mod at all, I can't handle that. I love LEDs in sterns with white inserts. Allows you to color them all uniform or whatever you want, makes the game pop well

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Anything specific I should do to it?

Pinball Life sells all you need to prevent damage. Link below:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1045

Dan

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I agree on most LOTR mods I've seen so far... But speaking of lame, what about the stock Palantir? I'm working on an actual crystal Palantir mod to replace the original goofy plastic stock one with the big screw hole through it. I have a spotlight wired to the 44 socket so it makes the entire crystal ball glow when the Palantir is lit. I'll see if I have a pic of it and post it.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I agree. LEDs work well along the backboard, the Path of the Dead, and some of the GI, but are pretty terrible for insert lighting. Originally I put LEDs in mine and ended up removing them 6 months ago to go back to incandescent bulbs in the inserts. They just look "right" in LOTR IMO.

#12 11 years ago

Make sure to get the arwen plastic protector.

#13 11 years ago

Inserts--- LED definitely!
GI--- Stay with standard bulbs.

See "LOTR habitrail mod" in forum search for a lower ugly plastic alternative.

#14 11 years ago

shaker for sure....potd lighted figures from Hemi look great....color changing palantir light...and some led's ...nothing else needed..

#15 11 years ago

do you have any pics of your lotr setup?

Quoted from ryan1234:

See "LOTR habitrail mod" in forum search for a lower ugly plastic alternative.

#16 11 years ago

the palantir mod was done a few years back..... i'm not sure who sells them, but my buddy bought one and installed it for me in my lotr. it looks WAAAY better than that craptastic stock palantir that stern threw in there.

Quoted from jrobinso99:

I agree on most LOTR mods I've seen so far... But speaking of lame, what about the stock Palantir? I'm working on an actual crystal Palantir mod to replace the original goofy plastic stock one with the big screw hole through it. I have a spotlight wired to the 44 socket so it makes the entire crystal ball glow when the Palantir is lit. I'll see if I have a pic of it and post it.

#17 11 years ago

oh yeah...and the potd diverter to trail, I like it instead of the the arwen plastic protector...even though some want to get extra points that way..

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

This is a 2002 run I think, well thats what the copyright says. Not sure how to tell.

There should be a sticker on the back with the production date I think.

Pay attention to when you have played the game for an extended period (30 minutes to an hour), whether the flippers seem to weaken. If they do, there are upgraded replacement flipper coils available.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1112

Dan

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I agree. LEDs work well along the backboard, the Path of the Dead, and some of the GI, but are pretty terrible for insert lighting. Originally I put LEDs in mine and ended up removing them 6 months ago to go back to incandescent bulbs in the inserts. They just look "right" in LOTR IMO.

I recently added LOTR back to the lineup. It had no LEDs in it. I have added LEDs to 80% of the GI and it looks great. I have no intention of putting LEDs in the inserts. The fading effects on this pin are prevalent in attract mode and LEDs look like crap for that. Also, this pin ghosts like crazy with LEDs so you need the no ghost LEDs. I did put a color changing LED in the Mode insert and Palantir.

I used a lot of orange LEDs in the upper part of the PF, including the back box. Gives it a "fiery" type of appearance, which matches the theme well. I put a green CT Superbright on the far left of the backbox, so it lights the POTD green.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

do you have any pics of your lotr setup?

Here ya go.

IMG_0320.jpgIMG_0320.jpg

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Ya got it backwards!

#22 11 years ago

I got the true crystal ball mod with color changing led... looks way getter than stock. Getting the potd mod from hemi...and put all the protectors in from pinbits. I thought about leds as well...but its true, standard lights look "right" in this machine. Maybe a couple green by potd..can't think of anywhere else that would look good...:/

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

There should be a sticker on the back with the production date I think.
Pay attention to when you have played the game for an extended period (30 minutes to an hour), whether the flippers seem to weaken. If they do, there are upgraded replacement flipper coils available.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1112
Dan

I actually recommend these even if you don't feel like the flippers weaken over time. These are just a tad crisper than the stock ones, even when they aren't hot. Game plays quite a bit better with these coils IMO.

#24 11 years ago

Orange Cliffy sleeves for the posts look great on LOTR.

#25 11 years ago

I got the true crystal ball mod with color changing led... looks way getter than stock. Getting the potd mod from hemi...and put all the protectors in from pinbits. I thought about leds as well...but its true, standard lights look "right" in this machine. Maybe a couple green by potd..can't think of anywhere else that would look good...:/

Do you have pics of the one that was made before? I couldn't find it when I looked. Here is the one I made.

1-DSC00177.JPG1-DSC00177.JPG

#26 11 years ago

I'd love to have a nice crystal ball mod if anyone still makes them.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I recently added LOTR back to the lineup. It had no LEDs in it. I have added LEDs to 80% of the GI and it looks great. I have no intention of putting LEDs in the inserts. The fading effects on this pin are prevalent in attract mode and LEDs look like crap for that. Also, this pin ghosts like crazy with LEDs so you need the no ghost LEDs. I did put a color changing LED in the Mode insert and Palantir.
I used a lot of orange LEDs in the upper part of the PF, including the back box. Gives it a "fiery" type of appearance, which matches the theme well. I put a green CT Superbright on the far left of the backbox, so it lights the POTD green.

Sounds like we have almost identical setups! Only difference is that I used red and purple along the backboard. Otherwise the rest sounds the same. The color changer for the mode start and Palantir works nicely. Also, I did leave an LED in the Destroy Ring insert. Figure it gives it a bit of extra punch when it is lit (which isn't that often for me).

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

oh yeah...and the potd diverter to trail, I like it instead of the the arwen plastic protector...even though some want to get extra points that way..

One man's "extra points" is another man's "the way it was intended by the designer".

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I like it because it makes the game flow better. Playing one without it just feels wrong to me. Seems clumsy how the ball falls on the Arwen plastic and then into the Shire. I know that is how it is supposed to be, but it feels unfinished to me. Mine will always have the diverter installed.

#30 11 years ago

I got the POTD diverter also--
WAY better flow!!!!

#31 11 years ago

potd plastic, figures, and leds look great!

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

Do you have pics of the one that was made before? I couldn't find it when I looked. Here is the one I made.

That is quite cool!

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I actually recommend these even if you don't feel like the flippers weaken over time. These are just a tad crisper than the stock ones, even when they aren't hot. Game plays quite a bit better with these coils IMO.

Thanks guy. I love ultra crisp flippers so ill pick these up and rebuild flippers while im at it

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I like it because it makes the game flow better. Playing one without it just feels wrong to me. Seems clumsy how the ball falls on the Arwen plastic and then into the Shire. I know that is how it is supposed to be, but it feels unfinished to me. Mine will always have the diverter installed.

I could certainly see how some people may feel that way. It certainly adds a randomness, or slowing of flow as well, to the game that I don't find in some of my other games. Kind of reminds me of when the ringmaster tosses the ball off his head in CV.

Mine was that way when I got it, and I guess I just never knew any better.

#35 11 years ago

pinbits plastic protectors and upgraded flipper coils too.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I could certainly see how some people may feel that way. It certainly adds a randomness, or slowing of flow as well, to the game that I don't find in some of my other games. Kind of reminds me of when the ringmaster tosses the ball off his head in CV.
Mine was that way when I got it, and I guess I just never knew any better.

I know what you mean. Mine came with the diverter installed, so I never knew another way until I eventually played one on route. Funny thing is, I actually thought the route game was messed up because it didn't have the diverter.

Only later did I find out the diverter was an add on and that the route game I encountered was actually set up the way the game was intended to be played!

#37 11 years ago

I think white rubber looks great on LOTR (see pictures below, the Paths of the Dead looks pretty funky). I also have the colour changing Palantir and it's very cool. Don't forget to add a Cliffy (Gimli shot) and a set of plastic protectors from Pinbits! I have the Arwen protector, it's the second generation one that Scott from Australia makes. I had the first generation one on there before but it broke pretty easily. I've had the new one on since last June and it's awesome. Not sure if Scott is still making them or not, his email is: [email protected] . Only took 9 days to ship to Canada so not that long at all.

I tried a bunch of LEDs and didn't like most of them. Ended up putting some of Cointaker's new premium frosted non ghosting ones in a bunch of the inserts and I quite like them. Didn't like them down near the bottom of the playfield as there are too many white inserts and the overall brightness was too much. Also tried some in the GI and preferred the old style #44s better. As with any machine, it's all personal preference and in LOTR I think it's one machine that looks just fine the way it originally came.

LOTR_1.JPGLOTR_1.JPG LOTR_2.JPGLOTR_2.JPG LOTR_4.JPGLOTR_4.JPG LOTR_5.JPGLOTR_5.JPG LOTR_6.JPGLOTR_6.JPG

#38 11 years ago

Here is a mod that I make for the POTD fading on/off LEDs. I am currently sold out of the first run of them but I am going to do another run of this mod in a bit and I have 3 more complete kits that will be available with the parts that I have in stock.

Let me know if you would like one.... here is the video of it in action

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

I have the Arwen protector, it's the second generation one that Scott from Australia makes. I had the first generation one on there before but it broke pretty easily. I've had the new one on since last June and it's awesome. Not sure if Scott is still making them or not, his email is: [email protected] . Only took 9 days to ship to Canada so not that long at all.

Thanks for the kind words Buckles . It is / was me that redisigned and made the 2nd generation Arwen protector ramps .

I have only ever had the one batch of 100 made which sold out quite a few months ago now . I would consider getting more made but the problem being that the manufacturer that I had make these worked on a minimum batch of 100 units to make it cost effective per unit . The cost that I was selling them at had very little mark-up on them as I was really just trying to recoup the costs of having them made and end up with a ramp for my own personal machine .

As I hope everyone would understand that outlaying the initial costs of getting another 100 made is simply out of my budget .

I would get more made on the condition that if I could get enough pre-orders to cover the costs of getting the batch made . I would then ask for 50% deposits before they get made and then buyers pay the remaining 50% + postage costs when they are done .

#40 11 years ago

The speaker light mod is tasteful in my humble opinion. Photo toward the middle of the thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballtopperscom-new-product-light-kits

#41 11 years ago

Ryan's habit rail mod is super great, completely spaced it. Super subtle and gets rid of a big ugly clear plastic.

In terms of playability, I need to mod that POTD post so it works...

A color changing LED behind the crystal ball thing is decent as well.

LOTR has great shaker effects, the best of any game. I think they are a lot more subtle, a little tactile feedback when you make a shot goes a long way.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

has great shaker effects, the best of any game. I think they are a lot more subtle, a little tactile feedback when you make a shot goes a long way.

Yes!

I....have an idea....... .....somebody needs to take JJ's Woz crystal ball and figure out a way to duplicate it with video clips inside the ball....why not, let's go modders, lets figure something out

Maybe a little ambitious?...

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I got the POTD diverter also--
WAY better flow!!!!

And way harder to achieve ROTK multiball.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes!
I....have an idea....... .....somebody needs to take JJ's Woz crystal ball and figure out a way to duplicate it with video clips inside the ball....why not, let's go modders, lets figure something out
Maybe a little ambitious?...

Actually its not too ambitous at all I have been working on that very idea and almost have it ready for final testing. As of now I have made different triggers for different lighting and video events "flaming eye" and so forth. I was going to wait to say anything for a week or so until i could do some more tweaks and take some videos of it in the machine but this thread beat me too it. I will say this though it is pretty damn looking cool so far

Thanks,
Ryan

#45 11 years ago

All that was mentioned above are good ideas... LED are definitely preference.. I prefer the warm glow of the old incadescents on this swampy looking pf...

I'm also in the process of exchanging legs/siderails/lockdown bar/hinges to brass/gold...

Speaker light mod looks great... a new set of instruction cards are a must... Stern yellow is ugly!

I'm also going to add the entire Flipper fidelity speaker upgrade and glowing colored LED backlite effects...

With all the standard toys and POTD mod... pf is all ready pretty much maxed out..

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from BlindVoyeur:

Actually its not too ambitous at all I have been working on that very idea and almost have it ready for final testing. As of now I have made different triggers for different lighting and video events "flaming eye" and so forth. I was going to wait to say anything for a week or so until i could do some more tweaks and take some videos of it in the machine but this thread beat me too it. I will say this though it is pretty damn looking cool so far
Thanks,
Ryan

Yes, please! This sounds super sweet man!

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from BlindVoyeur:

Thanks,Ryan

Oh my goodness!! That is excellent!

#48 11 years ago

I am going to go ahead and start my thread about it.

Thanks

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Sounds like we have almost identical setups! Only difference is that I used red and purple along the backboard. Otherwise the rest sounds the same. The color changer for the mode start and Palantir works nicely. Also, I did leave an LED in the Destroy Ring insert. Figure it gives it a bit of extra punch when it is lit (which isn't that often for me).

Funny you mention the Ring insert. I do plan on putting an LED there as well

#50 11 years ago

I have played this game before a bit, but man this is such a great game. I love the depth, layout, call outs etc. Definitely worth picking up!

Loving a lot of these "mods" people mentioned above. Some cool ideas and nice ways to improve gameplay, thanks so far everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-picked-up-lotr-what-to-add and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.