(Topic ID: 58607)

Just picked up an NBA Fastbreak....Love it!

By papazit1963

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Brad76
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I know this title gets very little love, but it's really fun! Picked up a nice/clean example last night. My son had a few friends over when I was setting it up and we all had a blast with it. Great/funny call outs, good sound, nice looking machine, lots of toys, and a fairly deep rule set... One of my favorite Gomez pins now! Looking forward to jumping on it today after work!

Mike

#2 10 years ago

I like that game too! And if you get a second...link them together!

#3 10 years ago

That's what I've heard. Only pin that supports this I believe. They say it's really fun.

Mike

#4 10 years ago

Yup! and you can make the cable yourself, similar to a serial cable.

#5 10 years ago

Congrats! Love my NBAFB, and I don't even like basketball! There's something just eminently satisfying about shooting hoops with the silver ball...

Later,
EV

#6 10 years ago

This is one of the few DMDs I have never played.

#7 10 years ago

I really like this game - and love the fact it scores the same as a real basketball game (just 1, 2, or 3 points a basket)

#8 10 years ago

The memories. . .my first NIB game ($1800). . .gone, but not forgotten. . .

. . .because I've since bought two more to link

#9 10 years ago

If you dont know the rules, it stinks. Once you take the time to figure out what you shooting for, its fantastic. I know I'm in the minority, but I think it is Gomez's best game

#10 10 years ago

I'd agree, it's on my buy-back list as well

#11 10 years ago

I saw two linked together yesterday for the first time ever which was pretty awesome.

#12 10 years ago

I agree. Very under rated game. I too love the low scoring scheme. Totally different than the usual hundreds of millions. The scoring makes it much easier to have close scoring games, or even ties. Really enjoying it so far.

Mike

#13 10 years ago

I love watching NBA and I'm a huge Bulls fan, but this game sucks balls please do not try to make it out to anything than the turd it is.

Picked up a HUO briefly last year for $1700, looked amazing after a a good shop job but had no legs gameplay wise.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104572135352471614804/HUONBAFB?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNnQkbmqndCZ5gE&feat=directlink

#14 10 years ago

Yep, love mine.
It's clever and the theme really works. Unrated .....absolutely.

#15 10 years ago

So, I've had mine for a while....

I really like it, but I like my other pins more. If I had to get rid of one of my B/W pins for another due to space, this would be the first one to go.

Visitors to my arcade seem to really like it, though. It's my brothers favorite game.

#16 10 years ago

I love mine! My kids favorite pin....

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I love watching NBA and I'm a huge Bulls fan, but this game sucks balls please do not try to make it out to anything than the turd it is.
Picked up a HUO briefly last year for $1700, looked amazing after a a good shop job but had no legs gameplay wise.
https://picasaweb.google.com/104572135352471614804/HUONBAFB?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNnQkbmqndCZ5gE&feat=directlink

Whatever... Different strokes for different folks. That's the beauty of this hobby. But don't tell me I can't express my own opinion.

Mike

#18 10 years ago

i've always wanted to put some seat time in on one, but haven't really- just haven't found any around. I think this would be an excellent pin to play with a friend (or linked sound cool) Different kind of game for sure!

5 months later
#19 10 years ago

Just played this for the first time - any scoring strategies? Also if you play as a team that was good during that era (Bulls) is it easier to score? And does your 'opponent' matter? My first game I played as the Bulls (can't remember who against) and scored 133. The next game I picked our home town Warriors (against whom I can't remember, again) and could only manage 45 or 50 points.

Going to be playing this in a tourney so trying to learn some tips, thanks!

#20 10 years ago

Was a big nba fan in the 90's. Love the theme and really enjoy the game.....nice work.

#21 10 years ago

NBAFB is a wonderful pin. Great alternative title to flesh out a collection. Mine is never leaving!!!

#22 10 years ago

Would love to ad one to my game room...anyone need to free up some space? I have room.

#23 10 years ago

Yep, having owned just about every DMD game out there I wanted something special in my new gameroom, so two linked NBAFBs it was One by itself is still a good game (not great), IMO. But two linked becomes a keeper.

That reminds me, I have a spare NIB tournament/link kit if anyone is looking for one.

#24 10 years ago

pinballx - pm sent - been looking for a link kit. Thx.

#25 10 years ago

Sorry, but the sounds alone drive me nuts.

#26 10 years ago

Which is funny because it's the sounds that I like the most lol. I'm about as far from a sports fan as they come, but I've always found an NBA game fun to listen to. I like playing NBAFB because it makes me feel like I'm at a game.

It's unique, definitely not for everyone I would agree.

#27 10 years ago

If Stern was smart they would put together a nice MLB game, I would be all over it, not enough good sport themed games out there.... NBA game looks fun and I want one, but girlfriend absolutely HATES basketball, oh well... Grats on the pickup!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from genex:

Just played this for the first time - any scoring strategies? Also if you play as a team that was good during that era (Bulls) is it easier to score? And does your 'opponent' matter? My first game I played as the Bulls (can't remember who against) and scored 133. The next game I picked our home town Warriors (against whom I can't remember, again) and could only manage 45 or 50 points.
Going to be playing this in a tourney so trying to learn some tips, thanks!

Opponents and teams don't matter, there is no added difficulty or ease. They are just for looks and individual high score tables. Pop bumper hits build up to multiballs. Knowing that hitting a shot from each scoop up top gives you around the world multiball, hitting each different type of combo shot (slam dunk, fast break, alley oop) to complete the game and even knowing the trivia answers are huge (10 points). Scoring is really about consistently and knowing the rules.

#29 10 years ago

PM sent on the Link kit.

#30 10 years ago

I've had NBAFB for a few months now and I absolutely love it. Unique scoring with a great fan layout. Announcer is the same guy that voiced NBA Jam (Tim Kitzrow) for those with arcade nostalgia like me. I keep it at my office for the time being and it's become a regular lunchtime betting opportunity.

Quoted from genex:

Just played this for the first time - any scoring strategies?

Your team doesn't matter - it's just a way to keep a bunch of individual high scores (so you can be the highest scorer when playing as The Bulls, for instance, and own that team with your initials).

Best ways to rack up points is to use Stadium Goodies modes to your advantage (left saucer shot). Get good at timing the backbox shot in the first mode (Crazy Bob's Concessions) and you can get a quick 18 points. The second Stadium Goodies mode (Hot Dog Mania) can be a bonanza if you can hit a lot of ramp shots quickly. Hot Dog Mania will give you 3 points on all ramps and it's on a timer that resets after every successful shot. The timer eventually starts counting down faster and faster, but a lot of points available in this mode. Mode 3 is Trivia and if you know your 90s NBA facts (who doesn't?) then it's an easy 10 points. Last mode is Egyptian soda and left and right ramp shots (which are quick and delivered right back to the flipper) are worth 3 points each.

There are a few different multiballs to trigger (SHOOT around multiball is probably the easiest, but is only a 2 ball multiball) and those obviously are a good way to boost score. If you can get all the way to Trophy multiball and shoot all the center ramp shots to earn a ring, you get to start all the modes again.

Here's the rules sheet from pinball.org that gives a little more in-depth detail (and all the answers to the trivia questions for super cheater cheatertons): http://pinball.org/rules/nbafastbreak.html

Would love to one day play the linked up version!

#31 10 years ago

1 machine picked up and brought home this morning...now to find the machine to link it with...and to get a link kit.

#32 10 years ago

love playing that game. enjoy

#33 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips supercombo! Going to play it at the local bar w/a big NBA fan tonight to try and get better at it

#34 10 years ago

Enjoy! Good for you!

#35 10 years ago

Aren't the link kits super rare? Wonder if anyone has thought of doing repro kits.

#36 10 years ago

Glad to see this thread came back to life...funny how that works. I still have mine on location (at my store) and people love playing it. The scoring is great in that multi-player games are almost allways close games..great for competition. As far as stratagy goes, My goal is always to get a ring. Complete the center circle of goals. The multiball modes will come, nail all of the crazy bob's mode shots, go for lots of free throws (center ramp) for extra ball lit (16 shots on my machine). But above all, go for the 4 combo shots. It seems if I focus on getting the 4 combo shots, by the time I do, everything else falls into place. Then you get a shot at the Trophy ball game and the ring if you win it. That is just a timed mini-game where you try to get as many ramp shots and score more than the opponent. I think the game play design in this game is great! Very balanced and thought out. Looks great w/ LED's too. I like the sound and call outs too--sorry Bryan K.--lol I don't like the NBA and never watch it, but put that behind you and enjoy this great pinball machine! I'd love to find a linked pair somewhere to play. Any around CA that anybody knows of? Peace out.
Mike

#37 10 years ago

Not sure about linked pairs, but the one on location at Bissap Baobab plays fine here in San Francisco. I just hate that I need to learn 90s NBA trivia for those 10pts each Maybe you can link yours to the one there - I know the OP

#38 10 years ago

NBAFB was made during a time when the Seattle Supersonics were very strong, and still a franchise. It is nostalgic for us Seattle fans to see Gary Payton and Detlef Schrempf featured on the artwork, and the Sonics lineup in NBAFB is a force to be reckoned with! ($&%! you Clay Bennett)

#39 10 years ago

When we were playing it at the bar we were lamenting the Sonics of that era. I liked playing as the Bullets too since they don't exist with that name any more

#40 10 years ago

For those who love this game, please take it off of my hands so I can find a different game. This one was at expo this year. 1800 and its yours! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-picked-up-an-nba-fastbreaklove-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.