(Topic ID: 114206)

Just picked up a Quick Draw, my first EM.

By Dawson

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Dawson
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quick_1.JPG
Quick_2.JPG
image-320.jpg
image-601.jpg
image.jpg
image-659.jpg
image-530.jpg
image-656.jpg
image-20.jpg
image.jpg
image-180.jpg
image-565.jpg
image-506.jpg
image-314.jpg
image-630.jpg
image-570.jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Shot final clear this morning , except for rando cat hair , the playfield turned out cherry

image.jpgimage.jpg image-20.jpgimage-20.jpg image-656.jpgimage-656.jpg image-530.jpgimage-530.jpg image-659.jpgimage-659.jpg
#52 9 years ago

Great job Dawson! Here's mine!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#53 9 years ago

Your getting warmer weather now , hope to have mine back in its cab , here in another week

Thanks , did you airbrush yours ... Did you sand the clear flat ?

Looks great!

#54 9 years ago

Painted the entire thing by hand, a complete repaint. That is a brush on clearcoat sanded between each coat (except between first and second). Still not warm enough here to get out in the garage, so the cabinet will have to wait for a while...

I plan to do a complete cabinet repaint as well, as I seem to do with all my cabinets...

#55 9 years ago

I did get all of my parts on the playfield though. Here's a couple of pics.

image-601.jpgimage-601.jpg image-320.jpgimage-320.jpg
#56 9 years ago

Wow - and I thought I had a nice playfield. Great job.

#57 9 years ago

Your ball trough looks epic .. Hand painting must have been a PIA ... Did you do your 1k-10k with a brush?

Looking real good

#58 9 years ago

Thanks. I actually redid the lettering on the entire playfield with a toothpick. PIA is an understatement, but it did turn out pretty well, I think.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

Thanks. I actually redid the lettering on the entire playfield with a toothpick. PIA is an understatement, but it did turn out pretty well, I think.

That's nuts. I wish I had even a fraction of the artistic capabilities it would take to accomplish something like that. I can't draw a straight line to save my life...

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

That's nuts. I wish I had even a fraction of the artistic capabilities it would take to accomplish something like that. I can't draw a straight line to save my life...

I cut way back on the coffee that day....

#61 9 years ago

I wanted to put some retro LEDs in my almost ready quick draw, I bought enough from pinball bulbs .. Great company, that's right out of Portland ! Close to home ..

Problem is they dont fit in the playfield holes ,

I wonder in cointakers do? Maybe another company ?

I don't want to go wild with them LEDs, I could re drill the bulb holes .

But I was thinking there might be a company with a skinnier bulb..

Anybody try this ?

Thanks

#62 9 years ago

Interesting problem, I always prefer regular #47s on the playfield, so haven't had to face this. I do use them under the inserts. I think they brighten up often dim/yellowed insert plastic, last longer, and less heat/power consumption The LED light just isn't the same diffuse/soft glow of a traditional bulb.

#63 9 years ago

My playfield was trashed. I made waterslide decals and actually recreated the red bonus score values using excel. I made the red rectangle blocks and used white for the font color. I hand painted almost the whole playfield, then I clear coated it. That was 6 years ago and it still looks like the day I did it. Like someone else said above it was well worth it!! What a great game..

Quick_2.JPGQuick_2.JPG quick_1.JPGquick_1.JPG
#64 9 years ago

Well I finally put the ol' girl back togeather ... And She's not happy with her new playing surface ..

No GI's , no insert lighting , I had the gi's working for. Very brief second , wiggling one light .. Not sure I've tried to trace that area ..

Drop target relay going nuts, then will suddenly stop unless you drain a ball And the game can't Fiqure out ball in play

I didn't touch any switches , maybe it was the cat? ... I've read quite a bit about EMs it's not really sinking in , they are so fricken weird ..

I tunes the pops and flips .. Those work at least ?

Thanks for any EM advise , from what I read, it's better to not mess with any switches if you don't know what the hell you are doing ,... I will follow that advice ..

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Painting over clear?
Well, ok.

That's really a thing, its an interlock coat used in airbrushing. Tricky, cause you only want enough for a lockdown, but not too much where your next coat appears to be floating.

#66 9 years ago

Check your jones plugs. Your issue sound like a plug is one pin or row off.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

Thanks for any EM advise , from what I read, it's better to not mess with any switches if you don't know what the hell you are doing ,... I will follow that advice ..

I take the opposite approach. Because I dismantle the entire game prior to cabinet and playfield touch up, I go through every switch contact, etc. and clean, take apart, adjust etc., before putting everything back together. Before I begin, I power up the game and try to get it playing just so I have a baseline before I begin teardown. Always, not everything works, so I note the issues and proceed with my teardown / cleanup. I find that when I put things back together, I have fixed some issues, and of course created some others, but at least I know that I am starting with clean (mostly adjusted) contacts and mechanisms. Otherwise, I find myself "chasing my tail" through the debug process.

Just my two cents....

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

I take the opposite approach. Because I dismantle the entire game prior to cabinet and playfield touch up, I go through every switch contact, etc. and clean, take apart, adjust etc., before putting everything back together. Before I begin, I power up the game and try to get it playing just so I have a baseline before I begin teardown. Always, not everything works, so I note the issues and proceed with my teardown / cleanup. I find that when I put things back together, I have fixed some issues, and of course created some others, but at least I know that I am starting with clean (mostly adjusted) contacts and mechanisms. Otherwise, I find myself "chasing my tail" through the debug process.
Just my two cents....

I do that too, but be very careful with the score/event motor if you take that apart. I just spent the better part of two days chasing down a short that was caused by not one, but two spots that had switch tabs touching. Very hard to see them on a Gottlieb motor as you may know......

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I do that too, but be very careful with the score/event motor if you take that apart. I just spent the better part of two days chasing down a short that was caused by not one, but two spots that had switch tabs touching. Very hard to see them on a Gottlieb motor as you may know......

Yeah that is a very good point, I guess I should clarify a bit. I usually dont take all of the switch stacks off of the score motor, I just try to clean them so they are making good contact. And I am very careful during this process.

Although, I did decide to take all of the switch stacks off of the score motor on the Quick Draw that I am currently working on because the whole machine was a complete horror show. And guess what? I discovered that the motor brake switch blade was broken along with two other Level B switch blades, which you really wouldn't notice without a very thorough inspection because they are sort of burried under the cam assembly.

#70 9 years ago

Shitty part about this is that , the game worked perfect before the playfield restore ,... Maybe the cat got into the cab ..

Well the cat got hit by a car last night and the poor dog is super sad! The cat beans will survive ,shattered pelvis ... A friend will do the surgery for 300 ... We are so lucky

I also have been reading where if you have to adjust more than 5 switches ..DONT!

#71 9 years ago

I'm sorry about your cat. Hope your friend can fix him/her up.

Yeah, I would agree, if you find yourself adjusting multiple switches (aside from cleaning them to make sure they are making good contact) then you may be looking in the wrong place for the problem. Many issues are solved by determining that one switch that is not making or breaking when it should.

#72 9 years ago

Video of the fast draw performance.

It shows the switch distress of a great machine

Thesr machines seem so dam complex, who comes up with this engineering

Tj

#73 9 years ago

It sounds to me like your sequence bank reset is continually firing. I would start by checking the normally open contacts on your start relay. If the one in line with the sequence bank reset is stuck closed (red and yellow wires?). This could cause this. The other thing to check would be the normally open contact on motor 3B (Orange and purple wire?) to make sure it is not stuck closed, this is also in line with the sequence bank reset circuit.

You might also check to make sure that you don't have a stuck trough switch.

#74 9 years ago

Well I got the GI's working : it was a broke braided wire , .the wire had been sheered off at a staple , you really had to get a close look at this .. tiny break in the wire ..

For some reason I have a bunch of the insert lights that are on as well..

Maybe that's what it's suppost do ?

Tj

4 weeks later
#75 8 years ago

Finally got her 100% I think... Drop target issue was caused by a sticky trough switch ... I modded the pop bumpers by removing two turns of coil wire, changed the transformer wire from the low output to the high output...

It plays so fast and awesome, very lively !!! Problem is it's pretty easy for me to get over 100k points ..

Maybe adjust the post ? Can a adjust the scoring ? To make er score less ... Fricken thing is a blast to play!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-picked-up-a-quick-draw-my-first-em/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.