(Topic ID: 173586)

Just picked up a firepower at a fair price . Needs some help..

By Milltown

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Milltown
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20161115_012910 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161115_011730 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161115_011810 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Just picked up a firepower .. great price.

One owner since 83 or so.. sat for years on long Island ny.. I have not seen it work... the plugged it in and it only lights up gi bulbs.. once I looked In the back box I noticed a missing fuse and some possible smoked resistors ect on the driver board..
I just got home now with the machine .
. But I need to adress the issues.
You will notice two areas were some heat went on. .and I c the fuse that's missing is the solenoid fuse.. dude said it was blown.
So my next step ?
Repair the board ?.we're can I score these parts ?
Or buy a new driver ?? And who has the best price..
Can't wait to get this baby up and going..
But I have never had a,1980 Williams machine.. only 86 and up from williams..
Thanx for any direction...

IMG_20161115_011810 (resized).jpgIMG_20161115_011810 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

IMG_20161115_011730 (resized).jpgIMG_20161115_011730 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

You will notice in pic to the right 4th down caused the smoke on the board..

#4 7 years ago

But overall nice cabinet .. nice playfeild..needs rubbers ect and a good cleaning. Under playfeild looks new.. backglass very nice.. all other boards look great... so I think k a few bucks and shel be runnin..

IMG_20161115_012910 (resized).jpgIMG_20161115_012910 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

System 6 games like to toast those resistors. It hardly ever matters. You can replace them, but I do believe they're for lamps.

I would suspect the giant 40-pin interconnect connector between the solenoid board and the computer, because that's ALWAYS bad. If you have Scanbe sockets, those too must be removed; they are either bad now, or will be tomorrow. I would also be suspicious of the giant cap in the +5V supply on the power board.

If you're blowing the solenoid fuse, check for a blown transistor or coil. But no need to do any of that until the 40-pin connector is rebuilt. If the game has been sitting for a decade, it's bad.

Get the batteries off the computer. Look for corrosion.

pinwiki.com should be a good start.

Nice game!

#6 7 years ago

I should note that, the goofy Williams system has the computer's bus replicated across that big 40-pin connector that is sandwiched between the computer and the driver boards. If it's been rebuilt, it's fine. If it hasn't, it will cause the game to have no end of weirdness. (Same with Scanbe sockets.)

The repro boards have a better system with a ribbon cable. http://www.pinballpcb.com/System3-7DriverBoard.html

If you like doing board work, great. If not, I would send both boards out for a refurbishment, and they should be fine. Probably cheaper to rebuild unless there is corrosion I can't see in those pictures.

#7 7 years ago

The burn around those resistors is normal, they get really hot. You can replace them with jumper wires and replace the TIP42's next to it with MOSFETS.

Check out https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

It's a great source of information on repairing and bulletproofing these boards.

#8 7 years ago

Nice looking game. This is the one they had on craigslist advertised as Home Use Only. It's obviously not but it looks very nice. I would hope the fair price was around $500 and not the $900 they were asking.

If you want this game to be reliable you have some board work/replacement ahead of you. You should also really replace all of the female connectors with new trifurocons.

#9 7 years ago

Thanx so much for reaching out .
This is,why this site rules .

#10 7 years ago

Anyone have a good board guy in the east coast ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-picked-up-a-firepower-at-a-fair-price-needs-some-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.