IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG
IMG_2230.JPG
IMG_2231.JPG
Cabinet Stencil Concept art copy.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Take a look at the Sexy girl pf in the pictures, specifically the outhole and trough area.

http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-playfields.html

now take a look again at the same area on any of the Bally playfields.

Sexy-Girl uses Gottlieb assemblies. so unless you want to do a ton of cutting to fit all the Bally parts from the playboy you will need to use some Gottlieb parts to do the conversion.

Here is what I had posted to RGP:

The game keeps being billed as a drop in conversion kit for a Bally
Playboy. However the conversions were done in such a way that a
completely wired playfield (built by Arkon) was dropped into a Bally
cabinet with Bally Boards.

So.... look at this
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2106&picno=41615

The original Arkon playfields (which is what I am assuming was used to
make the CPR repros) use hardware that is all Gottlieb stuff,
gottlieb flipper assemblies, gottlieb drop target assemblies, gottlieb
outhole kicker, gottlieb ball trough, with gottlieb holes and gottlieb
mounting points (even to the point of having the switch diodes on
separate circuit boards like Gottliebs)

Also note that the Bally boards would require the use 43 V for the
coils, but gottlieb coils are 25V so these were probably coils made by
Arkon especially for this kit.

Plus since these original kits were probably made with all new parts
and NOT parts stripped from Bally Playboys will any of the metal
brackets from the top of the pf fit into the mounting holes on the
repros?

Now this isn't to discourage anyone from actually trying the
conversion (I have been tasked with doing one myself) but is just a
heads up that it won't simply be another pf swap like any other normal
swap. You probably could use all the original Bally Playboy under pf
parts but there might be a lot of extra drilling and cutting to get
those parts to fit.

I have several gottlieb pf's worth of parts and will probably fit
these assemblies onto the kit and simply swap out the coils for the
Bally equivalents.

Kris

#6 11 years ago

Time to find out which gottlieb system 1 pf's will yield all of the necessary parts.

Cleopatra, Solar Ride, and Roller Disco all have the 5 bank target, 2 slings, 2 flippers, 3 pop bumpers, and correct outhole/apron (roller disco has wrong apron) but none have the upper kicker. Can probably recycle the Bally part for this one.

System 80 machines used a different outhole/trough.

#7 11 years ago

not at all Matt. I have several stripped gottlieb pf's. Just need to make sure I still have all of the parts.

Pretty sure I have everything except maybe the trough ramps/brackets.

#8 11 years ago

Can anyone who owns an original scan the apron and pop bumper parts? This would be the last art items need to recreate it.

#12 11 years ago

Actually the Flyer PDF does have the words "Reproduction Conversion Kit" in bold type at the very top. Either way it clearly states it's only the 3 major art pieces. Anybody that wants to attempt this already knows that this is a major league project as they would still need to mock up the main toy in the game; the projector/LCD. The point of my post was just a heads up to those that are actually going to attempt the conversion to be aware of different assemblies prior to drilling the pilot holes in the dimples or wondering why the slingshot heads won't fit through the pf slots.

When it really comes down to it, a lot of the bally assemblies can probably be reused, just with different mounting holes than what is dimpled for the original game. The main change is just the outhole coils/trough and apron. These parts are pretty readily available from any system 1 gottlieb pf and most of the late 70's EM's (just make sure to use SS switches if you use EM assemblies). I just sold a populated Sinbad pf for $40 and now wish I had it back. I know for a fact that the Bally flipper mechs fit into the game

Quoted from cichlid:

I wonder how many people bought it thinking it was going to be a Playboy conversion?

It still is a playboy conversion. You just need a couple more parts to finish it. There are 3 very important parts needed specifically from a playboy machine to make the conversion. the first is the lamp board in the head, the second is the metal lane guide on the right side of the playfield and the third and most important one is the wiring harness. Unless you want to cut and trim and extend all the necessary wires from a harness pulled from another game, using a playboy pf harness is the way to go. It will be unlikely that you will need custom coils to make it work, most of the bally coils should fit onto gottlieb assemblies, just not sure if the jumbo drop target coils are swappable.

I am not sure how needing to buying a handful of cheap Gottlieb parts equates to a disaster.

#18 11 years ago

I am definitely doing the conversion and will need help with the LCD part. The red drop targets are just standard gottlieb drops and PBR has these. I have a source for the apron and bumper cap art. I can share this once I get them but that won't be for a few months as I have to finish up other projects first and collect all the gottlieb parts.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Kris,
I don't see the Gottlieb Red Drop Targets with a $ at PBR...are they listed under a game title and No Picture?

Not listed, just ask for them. I think the Gottlieb targets are only $3 without any hot stamps.

#22 11 years ago

Stu, Is there a sticker or a hot stamp on the red targets on your game? From the ipdb photos it looks like there might have been as "S" on each of the targets.

#26 11 years ago

OK. looks like I need to buy a gold foil cartridge for my ALPS printer and I can repro the targets.

#31 11 years ago

OK, since converting a playboy isn't challenge enough, I am going to also buy a kit for myself and built one from scratch (or from scrap really).

I am doing one from a playboy for Matt, but in addition to that I will construct one completely out of spare parts.

I have a Kiss lower cabinet, with harness. I have a space invaders head and a supersonic head harness. PF wiring Harness will come from either of the Strikes and Spares or Supersonic playfields from the shed. Have boxes of boards to pull from, I think the only thing I am missing is a transformer.

Because the head is the two glass variety mine will be pseudo Sexy Girl Deluxe with the strobing lights behind the backglass as the inner glass frame is actually too small so the backglass will have to fit onto the outer frame. I'll have to drive the head strobe lamps with a gottlieb chase board as the playboy software doesn't support the chase lamps in the head.

I have several gottliebs parts playfields so I now have my gottlieb aprons, slingshots, pop bumper assemblies, flipper mechs, outhole mechs (from the saucer mechs on two MGOW playfields) Also got the upper left playfield shooter mech from the upper right of MGOW (there are none of these on system 1 games). Got a pair of 5 target EM drop target assemblies and just need to move the low voltage switches from the 4-drop assemblies from the MGOW's to these 5 target assemblies.

I think the last thing I need is the correct EM/system 1 trough/ramp components. If anybody has some of these on a scrap playfield that I could buy I would appreciate it. I could use 2 sets.

For the top of the playfield (and under pf switches) I have the wood rails and ball gates and wire guides from the other Bally playfields I mentioned. I may have to bend and cut a few custom shapes and the only thing I will have to fabricate is the metal ball guide on the right side of the pf behind the drops. Lamp sockets and plastic posts will be all new, but the rest of the hardware can again be scavenged from the bally or gottlieb playfields.

Can't wait to get started on this (have to finish a couple other projects first)

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I would probably just make a new head and keep the old one for another double backglass game.

You will probably find the strobing lights far too dim shining through a normal backglass.

You are probably right. Might have to scan the backglass and shrink it down and make a translight to fit into the inner frame.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Shrinking the scan wont work as the Score/Credit Windows wont line up correctly....

Oh, yeah. Might have to photoshop it (or make a new light board and move the displays, then I could light up the back with LED strips,) otherwise I'll stick with the original plan and put the glass on the outside.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is a link on the "build a MM" thread that has a company with $50 brand new heads.
I'd just use the new head.

Can you repost the link here? Sounds too good to be true, plus shipping alone would be $50.

#39 11 years ago

Pop bumper body art is a standard Gottlieb pattern

pictured here but out of stock
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-13905-R

Steve Young has them at PBR (third one down)
http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumpb.htm

1 month later
#41 10 years ago

Almost ready to start on these. Have all the new parts, Have 2 cabinets stripped and almost ready to stencil (did find a Star Trek Head to use instead of the double glass one).

Rob, did you stencil yours yet?

Kris

4 months later
#43 10 years ago

first pass at the cabinet stencil artwork.Cabinet Stencil Concept art copy.jpgCabinet Stencil Concept art copy.jpg

4 years later
#53 5 years ago

Wow, Finally found time to pull the parts back out of storage and start this project. I was supposed to do 2 but the other guy got tired of waiting for the cabinet artwork (which he was sourcing) and sold off his set.

So finally have the playfield 90% put together but it's in a black cabinet. I never got any cabinet artwork done. It looks like several of the projects by others ended up using similar cabinet decals. I like the look of the red version so if I can buy a set of decals or pay for the artfiles from whomever made them I would appreciate it .

Also looking for the apron and pop bumper cap decals.

799cd388acb145450a4b7bb3289af6bca7fea237 (resized).jpg799cd388acb145450a4b7bb3289af6bca7fea237 (resized).jpgIMG_1954 (resized).JPGIMG_1954 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-noticed-a-minor-snag-with-the-playboy-to-sexy-girl-conversions?tu=kbliznick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.