(Topic ID: 207414)

Just need little help before i fry my machine!

By PinJoint

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Atari_Daze
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1440 (resized).JPG
IMG_1435 (resized).JPG
IMG_1434 (resized).JPG
IMG_1428 (resized).JPG
IMG_1426 (resized).JPG
IMG_3933 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1422 (resized).JPG
batt (resized).png
IMG_1421 (resized).JPG
IMG_1420 (resized).JPG
IMG_1413 (resized).JPG
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So on your meter I think the red lead should be plugged into the top hole that says DC v.

damn, you are right! i should of known this, it clearly states. thx
now im getting no reading at all from the board, and the wire at the c batteries.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from PinJoint:

damn, you are right! i should of known this, it clearly states. thx
now im getting no reading at all from the board, and the wire at the c batteries.

Several of those holes are for DC volts, the top one is 6000v.

Take the leads out of the meter and let's see a photo that shows what all the holes are labeled. Looks like you have the switch set correctly, good job on that.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Several of those holes are for DC volts, the top one is 6000v.
Take the leads out of the meter and let's see a photo that shows what all the holes are labeled. Looks like you have the switch set correctly, good job on that.

sure here is another pic.,

IMG_1440 (resized).JPGIMG_1440 (resized).JPG

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from PinJoint:

sure here is another pic.,

Looks like you had it right the first time

#55 6 years ago

Right side, from the top the first three holes are all for the red lead, DC voltage. The bottom right hole is for the red lead, measuring resistance, current (milliamps), and some voltage range I can't identify without a manual.

Left side, top hole is for the red lead, AC voltage. Bottom hole is black lead.

If this were my meter and I had no manual or someone knowledgeable to ask I would not use it. Harbor Freight sells $4 meters that are likely as accurate as what you have. https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Right side, from the top the first three holes are all for the red lead, DC voltage. The bottom right hole is for the red lead, measuring resistance, current (milliamps), and some voltage range I can't identify without a manual.
Left side, top hole is for the red lead, AC voltage. Bottom hole is black lead.
If this were my meter and I had no manual or someone knowledgeable to ask I would not use it. Harbor Freight sells $4 meters that are likely as accurate as what you have. https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html

Wholly crap, how the f can they design, manufacture in China, ship on a boat and then sell that for $4 and still make a profit???

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So on your meter I think the red lead should be plugged into the top hole that says DC v.

Im going to test the voltage on the power supply. It states i should do this under load. So do i test with power on?

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from PinJoint:

Im going to test the voltage on the power supply. It states i should do this under load. So do i test with power on?

Yep, test with power on.

#59 6 years ago

Get an auto ranging dmm. You will have an easier time there. It sounds like the entire game is having issues. Maybe find someone local to help.
I would stop concentrating on the batteries and either focus on getting life out of the displays or getting the game to boot to a playable state like it was before you messed with the batteries.
However without the displays working it will be quite hard. You probably have a cracked solder joint on the displays. However these things can really hurt you so make sure you turn the power off before messing with them too much. A simple test would be to try to wiggle the connector slightly on the display, does it light up any more? If so then you either have cracked solder or I suppose a bad connector. I know my SBM I had to plug the connector in half way on a display before I replaced it. You could also try some sort of contact cleaner for the connector I suppose.
Of course there could be other issues on the display boards but these are the simplest to start with. If a portion is lighting up currently then start there.

#60 6 years ago

I think it's time to phone a friend . There must be someone near Gilbertsville , Pa. that can come over and help . That meter - you might want to donate to a museum .

#61 6 years ago

You had the meter leads correct the first time. Black in lower left and red in lower right where it says V-Ohm-ma. That is for normal DC voltage within the range of what you can use on the dial. The others are for high DC voltage where the input goes through some voltage dividers so you can measure higher voltages without wrapping the needle around the peg. Best for a beginner to get a digital volt meter to eliminate some confusion.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

I think it's time to phone a friend .

That time was back on page one. C'mon Pinside.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

You had the meter leads correct the first time. Black in lower left and red in lower right where it says V-Ohm-ma. That is for normal DC voltage within the range of what you can use on the dial. The others are for high DC voltage where the input goes through some voltage dividers so you can measure higher voltages without wrapping the needle around the peg. Best for a beginner to get a digital volt meter to eliminate some confusion.

thanks guys, i am buying a digital meter today. I bought this one off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVYGZA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from PinJoint:

buying a digital meter today.

Any job is easy with the proper tools!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-need-little-help-before-i-fry-my-machine/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.