(Topic ID: 24048)

Just looked at pinball stuff on Ebay for the first time in years......

By Dayhuff

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

.....and now I remember why I hadn't looked on there in so long. 90% of it is games with asking prices or BIN prices that are out of this world. MM $16,500, Funhouse $6500, EATPM $4000, Capt. Fan $3500, Road Kings $1500.... Heck one place wants you to buy an instant gameroom of 5 pieces for $17,000 and then there gonna charge you another $2000 to set it up ?? What the heck is going on with that ?
    5% of the stuff on there is total garbage thats somehow pinball related, and the other 5% is legitimate bids on games, or so it seems.
    And then there's the guy thats selling oil to lube up your pinball machine....ugh.

Its a no wonder everybody thinks there stuff is worth crazy money, its not the pickers or the pawn shop shows....its Ebay. Yikes !!

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Its a no wonder everybody thinks there stuff is worth crazy money, its not the pickers or the pawn shop shows....its Ebay.

+1 million

You easily hit the nail on the head.

#3 11 years ago

Exactly!

#4 11 years ago

Yeah, some people want $9K for an average CV or $5500 for a routed LOTR. It's crazy out there.

#5 11 years ago

It is out of whack but, I do think many ebayers just use it as advertisement. If you call most of them a much better price can be had. Even Gap has said that. Nobody buy thru them they just call the seller.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

It is out of whack but, I do think many ebayers just use it as advertisement. If you call most of them a much better price can be had. Even Gap has said that. Nobody buy thru them they just call the seller.

That's exactly what we did with our two ebay purchases.

#7 11 years ago

there are still deals to be had (by collectors, not the retailers).

#8 11 years ago

This thread makes no sense.

OP is complaining about prices that are in line with what he lists machines for. Pot, meet kettle...

Pinball machines have been on eBay since before 2000. I know, I sold many then. Today, it is better used as an advertisement because the fees and after-sale risks are higher. Sure, more people pay attention to eBay prices now and use it as a price reference (especially when there isn't much else out there), but it's not eBay that has caused prices to soar. It's supply and demand foremost, and then a little capitalism.

Let's face it, when someone says "Hey I've have had this Medieval Madness game since I bought it new. It's just taking up space. What's a fair price? $9000?", if you have the money you're going to be tempted to say "Take $8500 cash?"

But when you list it months later for $14,000 and someone says "How about $13,500 cash?" you respond with "PLEASE, this thing is HUO! Even routed ones are selling for $16k!"

#9 11 years ago

I have some friends using eBay for this. Basically, they have no problems selling games locally for going prices. But they take their games and say "I don't want to sell any of this but at what price would I sell each for". They stick the pins up on eBay for those prices and don't care if they ever sell. If they do sell then it's a great payoff. Personally I'm glad. eBay sucks in general so the worst reputation it gets the better.

#10 11 years ago

Yea, bay prices due tend to give one skewed views. They often times do set values over time for the gotta have now crowd.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

.....and now I remember why I hadn't looked on there in so long. 90% of it is games with asking prices or BIN prices that are out of this world. MM $16,500, Funhouse $6500, EATPM $4000, Capt. Fan $3500, Road Kings $1500.... Heck one place wants you to buy an instant gameroom of 5 pieces for $17,000 and then there gonna charge you another $2000 to set it up ?? What the heck is going on with that ?
    5% of the stuff on there is total garbage thats somehow pinball related, and the other 5% is legitimate bids on games, or so it seems.
    And then there's the guy thats selling oil to lube up your pinball machine....ugh.
    Its a no wonder everybody thinks there stuff is worth crazy money, its not the pickers or the pawn shop shows....its Ebay. Yikes !!
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

Got ripped off big time on Ebay on a game when I first got into the hobby and never been back.
    RGP used to be a good place to buy parts I needed but it seems now there are not many FS ads just links to Ebay auctions.
    If you ask for a part you need people post a link to an ebay auction.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Yeah, some people want $9K for an average CV or $5500 for a routed LOTR. It's crazy out there.

Yeah I know, and whats even more crazy is they sold to regular pinball people too........

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

This thread makes no sense.
    OP is complaining about prices that are in line with what he lists machines for. Pot, meet kettle...
    Pinball machines have been on eBay since before 2000. I know, I sold many then. Today, it is better used as an advertisement because the fees and after-sale risks are higher. Sure, more people pay attention to eBay prices now and use it as a price reference (especially when there isn't much else out there), but it's not eBay that has caused prices to soar. It's supply and demand foremost, and then a little capitalism.
    Let's face it, when someone says "Hey I've have had this Medieval Madness game since I bought it new. It's just taking up space. What's a fair price? $9000?", if you have the money you're going to be tempted to say "Take $8500 cash?"
    But when you list it months later for $14,000 and someone says "How about $13,500 cash?" you respond with "PLEASE, this thing is HUO! Even routed ones are selling for $16k!"

Routed ones are selling for $16K ?? Holy smokes, in a year from are we gonna say " man I sure wish I would have bought that MM for cheap when I had the chance because now there $20K" ?

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#14 11 years ago

Speaking of ebay sales, anyone do business with Automated Services? Good experiences? Shipping go smoothly and quickly?

#15 11 years ago

My favorite thing to see is craiglisters using epay as a reference. "My beat up POS is worth $2200 & not a penny less. Here's a link to one just like it on epay for proof."

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

I hope you were sitting down.

Dan

#17 11 years ago

"regular pinball people"

Quoted from Dayhuff:Yeah I know, and whats even more crazy is they sold to regular pinball people too........

Define "regular pinball people"

#18 11 years ago

Yes but I wasn't sitting in the right place, in the right room...., excuse me while I go clean up.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Define "regular pinball people"

Us pinball peeps aint "regular"

#20 11 years ago

I have had no problems with automated services

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Speaking of ebay sales, anyone do business with Automated Services? Good experiences? Shipping go smoothly and quickly?

I bought Tron through them via ebay. I've heard bad things, but my experience was smooth and problem free. Customer service was not so great (they weren't friendly on the phone), but they delivered on time with no issues, which is what ultimately matters.

#22 11 years ago

Only reason to "shop" for pins on eBay? The lols (i.E. the $2100.00 plus asking price for a James Bond backglass).

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Only reason to "shop" for pins on eBay? The lols (i.E. the $2100.00 plus asking price for a James Bond backglass).

But that glass was from their personal collection so it is worth a lot more.

#24 11 years ago

Even back in the day Ebay is not for collectors to buy. Yes sometimes you can find one or make a deal.

Ebay is bad for the business as it kills realistic prices. Like the guys on Pawn Stars say. "You saw it listed for xxxx or you saw it SOLD for xxxx" Big difference.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Like the guys on Pawn Stars say. "You saw it listed for xxxx or you saw it SOLD for xxxx" Big difference.

Alas that is so true. I was stuck going to an estate sale the other day and people were using their phone or pad to look up ebay prices of different types of items . . . like that was somehow a guage for what they should bid on the various items. Was kind of interesting to watch actually.

#26 11 years ago

A guy a just met who knows a lot about pinball made a great point. He attributes the high prices to the recent aps from Pinball Arcade on iPad, etc.

People who totally forgot about Funhouse, for example, now all of sudden want one!

#27 11 years ago

When I see a pin for sale on craigslist, if I ever see "craptacular game X is fetching $6000 on Ebay", I move on.

I loathe sellers that think ebay is a price guide.

#28 11 years ago

Even worse - I was bringing a pin into Canada from NY, and the customs agent thought I was trying to scam them out of duties/taxes because the same machine was on BIN for more than twice what I paid. Disastrous experience - my wife will never let me pick up a pin with her on the road trip again after that one. Thanks EBay...

#29 11 years ago

Ebay prices don't really go down. But yeah it has been crazy for a while now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-looked-at-pinball-stuff-on-ebay-for-the-first-time-in-years and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.